PDA

View Full Version : Tancredo Accused of Ethics Violation Over Websites

Bradley in DC
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/10/25/tancredo_accused_of_ethics_violation_over_websites .html

Tancredo Accused of Ethics Violation Over Websites

The Denver Post reports presidential hopeful Tom Tancredo "published the same news release on his U.S. House and campaign websites, despite ethics rules prohibiting 'campaign or political activity from taking place in a congressional office.'"

"The House rule book on campaign activity says members' campaigns must wait a few days after a news release is issued before reproducing its contents." Said a Tancredo spokesman: "This decision was made in 1982 before e-mails. With today's digital media and e-mails, a few days isn't necessary."

constituent
10-25-2007, 09:42 PM
shame he didn't have an army poised at their keyboards to distribute his press releases to the far corners of the globe so that he might not have to...

TooConservative
10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I think we should give Tancredo the benefit of the doubt on free speech. Many of these House rules are as unconstitutional and anti-free speech in spirit as McCain-Feingold has been as a statutory law.

Since RP and Tancredo are friends, I doubt he'd criticize Tancredo over this. And Ron Paul is the great champion of liberty especially on the internet.

RP4ME
10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
I think we should give Tancredo the benefit of the doubt on free speech. Many of these House rules are as unconstitutional and anti-free speech in spirit as McCain-Feingold has been as a statutory law.

Since RP and Tancredo are friends, I doubt he'd criticize Tancredo over this. And Ron Paul is the great champion of liberty especially on the internet.

Yah - of all the infractions and lying going on that is so minor and really could just be a staffer who hasnt gotten through the 1000 page congressional rule book. Big woop!

Bradley in DC
10-25-2007, 10:08 PM

THEY are the ones who set their own rules for themselves! :rolleyes:

Perry
10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Does this mean he won't be President?

constituent
10-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey Bradley, you should see if they'll change the thread title to:

Tancredo pulls a Hutchison (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE7D91330F931A25755C0A9659582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print).

Korey Kaczynski
10-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Yeah, because Tancredo knows HTML.

bbachtung
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
RP's known about this rule for quite some time:

http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/html/more_ron_paul___.html

TooConservative
10-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Nice sleuthing!

So do you think Tancredo did it deliberately? Somehow, it doesn't compute. If he knew he'd get caught, then he wouldn't do it. The negative publicity would be worse than anything he could get out of his double dipping press release.

I'm wondering if this is connected to the attempted passage of the DREAM Act. Maybe Tom is trying to use the grassroots effort to defeat it to drive up his donations and supporters. He really just has that one big issue in politics.

A few days back, Durbin and Hagel were trying to promote DREAM Act and they were going to have a few illegals there who would benefit from it. Tom called the cops or INS. Maybe this press release was about that.

It would be interesting to know who filed the complaint against Tancredo.

Wendi
10-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Ha-ha. Gotta love the explanation of why there are no links on Paul's congressional campaign website ;)

RP08
10-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Who is Tom Tancredo?