PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul says he'll base decision to run in part on reception at May 5 debate in SC

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Benton said that Paul, who made an unsuccessful presidential bid in 2008, would base a decision to run this time in part on the response he receives at the May 5 debate.

and what a bonus here for lucky Ron:

The South Carolina Republican Party announced Thursday that participants in the May 5 debate would be invited to speak at the party’s annual Silver Elephant fundraiser the next night in Columbia.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110421/ARTICLES/110429913/1051/news01?p=1&tc=pg

low preference guy
04-22-2011, 12:10 AM
sailing, did you find it interesting that Ron was completely untroubled when that Florida reporter mentioned that Gary announced?

It gives me confidence not only because I know Ron is very skilled politically and GJ will be nothing more than a distraction, but also because he knows that he can easily handle any group of candidates.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 12:18 AM
I thought it was a tad pointed when he said 'I think Gary is making his decision on his own and I will make mine.' I could have imagined it.

But no, I don't think Gary worries Ron in the slightest. I think he bothers us more.

Sentinelrv
04-22-2011, 12:24 AM
If this is the case, we need a lot of people cheering for Ron at that debate!

Kregisen
04-22-2011, 12:27 AM
I guess that means the May 5th money bomb is called off. :/

devil21
04-22-2011, 12:29 AM
I guess that means the May 5th money bomb is called off. :/

Uh why would you say that???? And you wondered about my private comment....thanks for proving my point.

We will cheer our gd heads off for that man if it will make him run! Im ready.

Rocket80
04-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Ron, I love you - but this "I'll use this single moment to gauge my support to make a decision" stuff is getting old. We all know you are running, make it official and you will get my money. Until then, don't expect anything other than my ardent support on facebook and to my friends and family.

devil21
04-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Maybe he's serious? Maybe he hasn't seen what he has wanted to see so far? Just play along. It's politics.

anaconda
04-22-2011, 01:14 AM
The article did not say from whom Ron Paul was expecting the "reception." This strikes me as an odd thing for Ron to say. Does he mean the media analysis the next day? Viewer text polls? Money bomb? Moderator respect? Audience cheers? Viewer polls the next day? Etc.

whoisjohngalt
04-22-2011, 01:28 AM
I think that he means both the audience support and the money bomb. It is getting really annoying with him milking his supporters for every drop with this "making his decision to announce based on show of support" bit. Now that his LibPac money can to go to the campaign, the money bomb needs more support than ever. Why would it be called off?

teacherone
04-22-2011, 01:37 AM
keeps moving the goal posts.

Dave Aiello
04-22-2011, 01:48 AM
LibertyPAC money can NOT go to his campaign (well, only a nominal amount can, about 10k, I believe). It can only be used to fund things like his travel and attending various events as a non-candidate... BUT, i am almost positive that he can transfer funds from his "testing the waters" account into his campaign.

If he had announced before the May 5 bomb, i suspect he would have received twice the amount of money. This is unfortunate news.

Kregisen
04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Uh why would you say that???? And you wondered about my private comment....thanks for proving my point.

Because at one point whoever was running the money bomb specifically said only if Ron announces.

anaconda
04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
I think that he means both the audience support and the money bomb. It is getting really annoying with him milking his supporters for every drop with this "making his decision to announce based on show of support" bit. Now that his LibPac money can to go to the campaign, the money bomb needs more support than ever. Why would it be called off?

What if there were no money bombs planned until after he announced? Would he simply decide not to run? And why would he base anything on audience support? A few hundred hand picked people? I don't get it. I too feel a tad coerced and jerked around.

anaconda
04-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Because at one point whoever was running the money bomb specifically said only if Ron announces.

I, too, thought I read this at the Facebook site for it. I posted a comment there asking if we were supposed to abort if Ron did not announce but for some reason I could not locate the thread again. The money bomb site doesn't seem to mention it. Right?

Kregisen
04-22-2011, 01:57 AM
I, too, thought I read this at the Facebook site for it. I posted a comment there asking if we were supposed to abort if Ron did not announce but for some reason I could not locate the thread again. The money bomb site doesn't seem to mention it. Right?

Yeah looking at the page again it looks like they've changed their minds but they definitely said in the past to abort if Ron doesn't announce in time...
btw devil21 clear your inbox.

libertarian4321
04-22-2011, 02:28 AM
LibertyPAC money can NOT go to his campaign (well, only a nominal amount can, about 10k, I believe). It can only be used to fund things like his travel and attending various events as a non-candidate... BUT, i am almost positive that he can transfer funds from his "testing the waters" account into his campaign.

If he had announced before the May 5 bomb, i suspect he would have received twice the amount of money. This is unfortunate news.

Yup, I'm pretty much holding back until he announces. I've made token contributions to the Liberty PAC, and will probably donate ~$100 on May 5th, but won't make serious donations until he announces. I doubt I'm the only one doing this.

Just announce already!

SimpleName
04-22-2011, 02:50 AM

That is why I've paid very little attention to any of this until he says he is going to run. I've stayed away from these forums and will continue to only jump in here and there until he decides. I'm not here to play nonsense games. You are either in or not. He KNOWS he has support. If anything, he has much more support than 2008, so they need to cut the "show of support" crap.

Austin
04-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Ron will be forming an exploratory committee by April 29th. I'm sure there will be a website up accepting donations when he files for the exploratory committee. Remember, there is a $25,000 donation required to participate in the debate.

The moneybomb will go as planned.

eduardo89
04-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Where will money bomb funds go? LibertyPac or testing the waters account? Can PAC money go towered paying tue $25k entrance fee.

TheTyke
04-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Where will money bomb funds go? LibertyPac or testing the waters account? Can PAC money go towered paying tue $25k entrance fee.

It would make sense to go to the Exploratory Committee. I think legally it's pretty much the same as an actual campaign account, and all the funds can be transferred into the main presidential run if/when he decides to make it. Let's make it a big moneybomb!

MelissaCato
04-22-2011, 04:31 AM

Not really. Imagine the November 5th money bomb (4.2 million in 24 hours) and December 16th (6 million in 24 hours) after he announces. Ron Paul promotes individuals saving their money. So how do we know he isn't testing his supporters ? Just saying.

acptulsa
04-22-2011, 05:35 AM
I wish everyone would calm down.

I want Ron Paul in the general election. I want him there because of his sterling record of integrity. I think he's the one to get crossover votes and independents, and I think that right now these are ripe for the plucking. I want us to sell Ron Paul to the rank and file G.O.P. because they love to win. That said, selling him to these people is unquestionably an uphill battle. After all, more than a few of them are (somehow) not yet sick of war.

If he feels he can't get the nomination, we may be switching to Rand.

Now, I just said that wouldn't be my first choice. I feel like trying to sell Rand to the general electorate would be more difficult. But, you know what? Beats losing the primary all to hell. So, I don't see the problem with this.

Then throw in the fact that it isn't particularly advantageous to throw the first hat in the ring. You see Gary Johnson getting more attention than he has ever gotten before right now, so you may not understand this 'conventional wisdom'. But just watch Gary. He's today's toy, but just as soon as another candidate announces Johnson will be relegated to the proverbial back page of the newspaper and he will stay there. This has been happening ever since the switch from brokered conventions to primaries.

One of them will run. It will probably but not definitely be Ron. Timing really is important. And if Ron Paul should somehow trip all over his tongue or (God forbid) keel over on stage, we will be very relieved all of this preparation can easily be transferred from father to son. So, remember when you see the crazy that a fox seems crazy too--right up until he magically comes up with his lunch.

One doesn't announce one's strategies to the world because someone will take it the wrong way. Maybe some of you are feeling irritated that he's toying with our affections for no more reason than what I have mentioned here. But we've got to take a grown up attitude about this, because these are wise precautions. Please.

He's not toying with us because he wants to toy with us. He's not toying with us because he doesn't want us to win. He's not toying with us at all, though it feels like it. He's doing two things. He's trying to get his timing just right for maximum impact, and he's placing the cause above himself. And I, for one, approve wholeheartedly.

Fr3shjive
04-22-2011, 06:05 AM
It is getting really annoying with him milking his supporters for every drop with this "making his decision to announce based on show of support" bit. Now that his LibPac money can to go to the campaign, the money bomb needs more support than ever. Why would it be called off?

I highly doubt that he doesn't know if he's going to run yet. The support that we've shown should be enough to base his opinion off of. I'm also getting annoyed with him milking the people that support him the most. I wont donate to his campaign again till he actually announces.

pacelli
04-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Anyone who needs this much convincing is a reluctant candidate.

ds21089
04-22-2011, 06:37 AM
I wish everyone would calm down.

I want Ron Paul in the general election. I want him there because of his sterling record of integrity. I think he's the one to get crossover votes and independents, and I think that right now these are ripe for the plucking. I want us to sell Ron Paul to the rank and file G.O.P. because they love to win. That said, selling him to these people is unquestionably an uphill battle. After all, more than a few of them are (somehow) not yet sick of war.

If he feels he can't get the nomination, we may be switching to Rand.

Now, I just said that wouldn't be my first choice. I feel like trying to sell Rand to the general electorate would be more difficult. But, you know what? Beats losing the primary all to hell. So, I don't see the problem with this.

Then throw in the fact that it isn't particularly advantageous to throw the first hat in the ring. You see Gary Johnson getting more attention than he has ever gotten before right now, so you may not understand this 'conventional wisdom'. But just watch Gary. He's today's toy, but just as soon as another candidate announces Johnson will be relegated to the proverbial back page of the newspaper and he will stay there. This has been happening ever since the switch from brokered conventions to primaries.

One of them will run. It will probably but not definitely be Ron. Timing really is important. And if Ron Paul should somehow trip all over his tongue or (God forbid) keel over on stage, we will be very relieved all of this preparation can easily be transferred from father to son. So, remember when you see the crazy that a fox seems crazy too--right up until he magically comes up with his lunch.

One doesn't announce one's strategies to the world because someone will take it the wrong way. Maybe some of you are feeling irritated that he's toying with our affections for no more reason than what I have mentioned here. But we've got to take a grown up attitude about this, because these are wise precautions. Please.

He's not toying with us because he wants to toy with us. He's not toying with us because he doesn't want us to win. He's not toying with us at all, though it feels like it. He's doing two things. He's trying to get his timing just right for maximum impact, and he's placing the cause above himself. And I, for one, approve wholeheartedly.

+rep. I completely agree with you there.

TomtheTinker
04-22-2011, 06:38 AM
How is he milking support? He obviously doesn't want to jump the gun and announce to early..people need to relax..let Ron run the race the way he sees fit.

Chieppa1
04-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Lol. All I can do is laugh this reaction. Calm down and give the man some space.

cindy25
04-22-2011, 07:02 AM
no worries about Johnson, he is the obvious choice for VP.

but Trump should be a concern. he is, and will continue, to dominate the media.

specsaregood
04-22-2011, 07:06 AM
How is he milking support? He obviously doesn't want to jump the gun and announce to early..people need to relax..let Ron run the race the way he sees fit.

Ah, because everybody here has over 20yrs of hands-on experience in politics. RPFs is filled to the brim with campaign managers that have won, local, state and national elections.

specsaregood
04-22-2011, 07:07 AM

Uhm, for Obama maybe. He won't be Dr. PAul's choice.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Anyone who needs this much convincing is a reluctant candidate.

One thing that occurred to me after I read this is that RON didn't actually say this, Jesse Benton did when interviewed by media. Ron pretty much said Rand isn't running last night in Florida, although, in my opinion, if Ron actually didn't run that could change. However, in my opinion, Ron has pretty much decided to run but is in no hurry to start the formal campaign and does want to maximize impact. Right now he is getting a lot of press about his book and just with the buzz he is creating by going to primary states and having a thousand people a pop show up. On Monday he has 6 shows and a rally and a book signing. The man is working hard for us. He deserves his own timing.

But the media keep bugging him and he has to come up with something. Supposing he declares early, Bachmann late, and as a result she gets a lot more media as the 'fresh new candidate'? We'd be complaining that he timed it wrong. Yet he is in this to debate, and he will take the steps necessary to be in the debates.

I'm sorry the money bomb had said only if he declares, and I agree he won't get as much if he hasn't declared yet, and I don't know what to do about that. It is what it is. But let Ron manage his own timing. I think he has been telling us for a while it will be in May, but do we want it squeezed into a short window before the May 5 debate where a bunch of people are announcing, or do we want him to have his own spotlight?

Let Ron figure it out.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Yeah looking at the page again it looks like they've changed their minds but they definitely said in the past to abort if Ron doesn't announce in time...
btw devil21 clear your inbox.

I suspect that when the media started reporting there was going to be a money bomb, they didn't want to call it off.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 07:35 AM

His testing the waters account can be poured directly into a presidential campaign account, according to the press at the time he filed for that.

WilliamC
04-22-2011, 07:37 AM
I've never met Ron Paul, so I can't presume to speak for him, but I am guessing that his decision to make a run for the nomination is more difficult in some ways this time than it was in 2007. As someone who was very active in his campaign then it was sort of obvious to me that the amount of support he garnered took him and his staff very much by surprise, and I don't know if the national campaign really ever did make a transition from their original goal of raising ideas and education to actually winning primaries. At least it never felt that way to me on the periphery.

This time I am guessing that Ron Paul knows full well that his campaign would be to actually win primaries, not just try and get libertarian/conservative in front of a national audience. At least that would be my fervent hope. The American electorate will not support someone who doesn't come across as a winner, and they want to see someone who wants to win the Presidency, not just educate. I know Ron Paul really isn't interested in power for its own sake (that's why most of us support him, yes?) but he has to come across as wanting to win the Presidency, it has to show in his demeanor and in his tone. He has to talk specifically about what he as President would do, and be a bit forceful about how a true commitment to the principles enshrined in the Constitution and Declaration by him as President and his administration would so positively affect our economic viability and national security that those who are opposed to them are not just politically wrong but wrong to the extent that they risk being treasonous.

This time I want to see Ron Paul acting like a President

cindy25
04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Uhm, for Obama maybe. He won't be Dr. PAul's choice.

the bench is not that deep; Judge Nap would be ideal, but Johnson has to be considered. it can't be Rand, ; Mike Lee is from Utah so that makes no sense. Amash is not old enough. who else is there?

cindy25
04-22-2011, 07:43 AM
I've never met Ron Paul, so I can't presume to speak for him, but I am guessing that his decision to make a run for the nomination is more difficult in some ways this time than it was in 2007. As someone who was very active in his campaign then it was sort of obvious to me that the amount of support he garnered took him and his staff very much by surprise, and I don't know if the national campaign really ever did make a transition from their original goal of raising ideas and education to actually winning primaries. At least it never felt that way to me on the periphery.

This time I am guessing that Ron Paul knows full well that his campaign would be to actually win primaries, not just try and get libertarian/conservative in front of a national audience. At least that would be my fervent hope. The American electorate will not support someone who doesn't come across as a winner, and they want to see someone who wants to win the Presidency, not just educate. I know Ron Paul really isn't interested in power for its own sake (that's why most of us support him, yes?) but he has to come across as wanting to win the Presidency, it has to show in his demeanor and in his tone. He has to talk specifically about what he as President would do, and be a bit forceful about how a true commitment to the principles enshrined in the Constitution and Declaration by him as President and his administration would so positively affect our economic viability and national security that those who are opposed to them are not just politically wrong but wrong to the extent that they risk being treasonous.

This time I want to see Ron Paul acting like a President

agree 100%. but even Obama did not run to win; he ran to be Hillary's VP, and his campaign transitioned

specsaregood
04-22-2011, 07:49 AM
the bench is not that deep; Judge Nap would be ideal, but Johnson has to be considered. it can't be Rand, ; Mike Lee is from Utah so that makes no sense. Amash is not old enough. who else is there?

How many times has he said, "You can't defend liberty, if you don't defend life.". I can't see him picking somebody that doesn't agree with him on that issue as he considers it a cornerstone.

reduen
04-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Any of you notice that hardly nobody else has "officially announced" yet? There is a reason for this even if we can't see it yet, I have followed the good Dr. for many years now and that said, I trust him. He is the only politician that I can really say that about so until he does something to break that trust, I am 100% behind him...!

Shane Harris
04-22-2011, 07:53 AM

agreed. ugh idk why he doesnt get that

belian78
04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
WilliamC,

I've thought the same and I even wonder if that's why no announcement, because he could actually win.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 07:56 AM
WilliamC,

I've thought the same and I even wonder if that's why no announcement, because he could actually win.

None of the big names are announcing. The resulting assumption is that those announcing now HAVE to. If he is acting like a winner, since he really is just below the top few in polling, and way above the rest, maybe he doesn't want to signal too soon. Why don't any of the others?

Johnnymac
04-22-2011, 08:01 AM
This is how i feel about this announcing thing -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsSXMT0NrB4

Shane Harris
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
i wish everyone would stop acting like rand is even plausible. he has been in the senate for less than 6 months. maybe in 2016 or 2020. def not yet. the experience factor was a big hurdle for obama and he had twice as much at the time as rand would have now.

Shane Harris
04-22-2011, 08:12 AM
if hes waiting for he monetary support, its not going to come unless he announces first. theres a reason the presidents day bomb raised only 400,000 in 24 hours compared to the 4 million and 6 million from 2007. if he announced theres a chance the may 5 bomb could get up there in the millions, but with him still maing up his mind i believe that number drops significantly, ironically making him less likely to feel supported

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 08:14 AM
I think it's just balancing timing. He has press already for his book, why not get two press cycles, then right after that, due to debate requirements, there are going to be a flurry of announcements.... we want him to get maximum exposure, even if we are impatient right now. I think he's running, and virtually certain of it, but is looking at timing. But he can't very well tell the media that, can he?

I agree about the money bomb, but it is what it is.

The Dark Knight
04-22-2011, 08:18 AM
I know one thing, if he has not formed an exploratory cmte by May 5th he wont be getting any of my money. I know that is a requirement to enter the debate so lets hope it happens. An Exploratory cmte basically is the same thing as really announcing. It just gives Ron Some more time to rest and get ready for a long campaign. Lets all remember he is 75 not 45. travel and doing all this campaign stuff will take a toll on him.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I know one thing, if he has not formed an exploratory cmte by May 5th he wont be getting any of my money. I know that is a requirement to enter the debate so lets hope it happens. An Exploratory cmte basically is the same thing as really announcing. It just gives Ron Some more time to rest and get ready for a long campaign. Lets all remember he is 75 not 45. travel and doing all this campaign stuff will take a toll on him.

Yeah, and without announcing he has been this week, after votes, to Mississippi and Florida, and book signings and will be on 6 shows Monday and a rally and a book signing.... and he's been to Iowa and New Hampshire multiple times.... it isn't as if he isn't doing the footwork.

WilliamC
04-22-2011, 08:44 AM
WilliamC,

Exactly right.

What if Ron Paul really doesn't want to be President?

Oh I mean even knowing that it isn't for the power, the money, the prestige, the fame, the trappings, whatever.

That's why so many of us support him, because it is obvious from how he's lived his life that Ron Paul isn't overly interested in any of those things.

But to actually be President or even being a serious contender for Republican nominee is fraught with danger, and not not just of the political variety.

No, in order to have a chance, Ron Paul is going to have to decide that he really is the best man to be President, and he's going to have to be able to sell himself as well as his ideas to the American public as someone who is comfortable with and knows what to do with the power he would have as President.

That's a big part of Trumps appeal, there is no doubt that Trump feels himself qualified to be President and is comfortable trying to sell himself as being Presidential. But of course Trump is no such thing, at least not by my standards.

Ron Paul needs to believe in himself, and it needs to show in how he gives interviews. If that means some type of 'coaching' or 'packaging' or whatever to increase his mainstream appeal then I think that can be done in ways having nothing to do with changing his message.

Just work on the delivery.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
I think if Ron sets himself to 'act as if', his personal discipline and sense of duty will do the job. I think Trump's wanting the acclaim is a huge turn off, and while sensationalism briefly grabs the masses, I don't think they will elect it president, and if they do, they aren't looking at substance enough to be attracted to Ron in any event.

tmg19103
04-22-2011, 08:58 AM

How about Rand for VP?

That would be my ideal ticket.

I know you generally want a VP candidate who caters to your weakness, but Ron and Rand would certainly pack a wallop.

This would resolve any "age" issues with Ron and set Rand up for Pres. down the road.

If Ron does not win, it is huge national publicity for Rand - and especially if he was announced as the VP candidate very early on.

The Tea Party would eat it up and it would be all over the news media.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I actually see a lot of benefit to the Ron/Rand thing, but Rand has apparently laughed that off as not going to happen.

tmg19103
04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I actually see a lot of benefit to the Ron/Rand thing, but Rand has apparently laughed that off as not going to happen.

Surprised he laughed it off (I'm just getting involved again after some pretty heavy involvement last election, like with get the big Philly rally going).

If Ron gets some decent traction early and the news media takes him seriously enough, it could only benefit Rand as a national political figure, help him in Senate re-elections and position him as a future president.

If Ron does not get traction early, and if Rand were willing to help, announcing Rand as Ron's VP candidate very early in the election cycle could be a great boost.

Even if Ron sputters, nobody will take that out on his VP running mate.

Needless to say, I expect Ron won't sputter, but I can only see Rand helping - and especially with the Tea Party faction that does not cater to Ron.

emr1028
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM

but Trump should be a concern. he is, and will continue, to dominate the media.

I think that Trump is going to be the Gulliani of 2012-- Hey look at me I'm a famous New Yorker that the media loves! I imagine that if he decides to run, which I don't think he will, people will tire of him rather quickly.

payme_rick
04-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I tend to agree with the whole "he doesn't want to announce too soon" thing... the last thing a mid70s-year old candidate needs is to be "old news" once some younger guns announce... the playing field needs to be as level as possible...

I do understand some of the frustrations, but simmer down a bit and stop opening threads that don't say "Ron just announced he's running".. he's not going to make his decisions based on what YOU think, it'll be on what he and his people think is best...

whoisjohngalt
04-22-2011, 10:31 AM
So the money bomb page has a bunch of admins, most of whom are members of RPF. I was actually the one who added the line about the money bomb being contingent on him announcing. We removed it when it became clear that he was going to form an EC in order to participate in the debates and that we could give money directly to his campaign. I thought the "testing the waters" account was his LibPac money, but if it is separate than the money will be given to his "testing the waters" account. Ron and Jesse are aware of the money bomb as evidenced by the fact that while we were in Mississippi, Ron signed a bunch of the money bomb fliers that we had printed out and Jesse was given a flier by someone who didn't know who he was while he was in the process of explaining the money bomb to someone else.

If he announced, it would obviously help make the bomb much bigger, but announcing his EC and then actively promoting it on his Facebook, twitter, email, etc should have a similar and tremendously powerful effect. We couldn't even stop the money bomb from happening now if we tried. We might be able to diminish the success of it, but with semi MSM reporters picking up the story and writing about our plans for the bomb, it must go on as planned.

iGGz
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I thought I read somewhere that in order to participate in the debate this year, they had to announce they were running for POTUS? Is this true?

Toureg89
04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
god damn it. the foreplay has lasted way too long. i want to get down to the fun stuff.

is he running or not...:confused:

whoisjohngalt
04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm 99% sure the rule is that you have to at least announce an EC to participate. Also, whoever said the President's Day money bomb only made 400k bc Ron hadn't announced is mistaken. It only made that much because it was not promoted until the 8 days leading up. On top of that, his announcement was much less of a certain thing at that point. If Ron doesn't announce an EC before the debate than the money bomb will be a failure, but it won't matter at that point because if doesn't announce an EC prior to the debate, he won't be debating or running for president.

Johnnymac
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
gosh hes going to announce something on the 25th everyone needs to figure that out! and if he doesnt then damn I will stand corrected but I am banking on an announcement on the 25th, also about the Ron/Rand, there were stories of all of Ron's sons, picking Ron as the best man for there weddings, whats not to think he will return the favor :D

kylejack
04-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Ron, I love you - but this "I'll use this single moment to gauge my support to make a decision" stuff is getting old. We all know you are running, make it official and you will get my money. Until then, don't expect anything other than my ardent support on facebook and to my friends and family.
As soon as he states he is running, FEC filing requirements kick in. He might be trying to make sure he has his infrastructure lined up before the government forces him to start doing paperwork.

Matthew Zak
04-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I think Ron is glad to have Gary in the race. Remember, Ron isn't thinking about the race the way we do. It isn't about him, it's about the message. It's about waking people up to the real issues. Maybe Gary and Ron don't see eye to eye on everything, but having eachother on the same stage means the audience will hear a lot more of the message than they would if Ron Paul were the only man up there.

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
On Monday he has 6 shows and a rally and a book signing. Link? :confused:

devil21
04-22-2011, 12:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
It was in one of his emails last month about his travels. April 25 is a very busy day for the Dr.

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I think that Trump is going to be the Gulliani of 2012-- Hey look at me I'm a famous New Yorker that the media loves! I imagine that if he decides to run, which I don't think he will, people will tire of him rather quickly.Trump can be "fired" if his history is communicated to the Republican electorate. It's why he's swinging so far right with the birther and anti-China stuff because he wants to appeal to that base before they figure out who he really is.

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 12:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
It was in one of his emails last month about his travels. April 25 is a very busy day for the Dr.
Any chance I could get you to quote it?

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Link? :confused:

http://www.ny4ronpaul.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Webster+Hall+Banner+3-194x300.jpg

A BIG DAY IN THE BIG APPLE
April 15, 2011, 12:54 am
Filed under: Events
Here is a brief rundown of the events Dr. Paul will be making appearances at in NYC on 4/25

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Paul on “the View”

Where: 320 W. 66th Street

When: Monday, April 25 from 7:30 am to 10:30 am

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Paul Book Signing in SoHo, NYC

Where: McNally Jackson Bookstore 52 Prince St New York, New York 10012-3309

When: Monday, April 25 from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Paul on “The Colbert Report”

Where: 54th St. between 10th and 11th Ave.

When: Monday, April 25 from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Paul at John Stossel Show filming

Where: 1211 Avenue of the Americas (side door)

When: Monday, April 25 from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Paul at Webster Hall NYC – tickets available at door

Where: 125 E 11th street

When: Monday, April 25 from 8:00 pm to 12:00 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quite the day, (and that is not all of it, either)

They didn't list all 6 tv appearances but said there WERE 6, from this LibertyPac email at the end of March:

On April 11th, I will head to Iowa to speak at Dordt College and then attend several events in the East.

On April 20th, I will go to Mississippi State University, and then on to Florida State on April 21st.

On April 25th, I will be in New York City for a book signing and appearances on no less than 6 tv shows, including The View and The Colbert Report.

And finally, on April 28, I will head to The University of Nevada in Reno.

I am also considering an additional trip to New Hampshire in April, and then trips to New Hampshire, Iowa, and Nevada in May.

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 01:24 PM
http://www.ny4ronpaul.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Webster+Hall+Banner+3-194x300.jpg

They didn't list all 6 tv appearances but said there WERE 6, from this LibertyPac email at the end of March:
Do you think he'll announce then?

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Do you think he'll announce then?

I don't know. It was pointed out that he gets a run of media for his book, and it might not be smart to waste his announcement, which will get him another run of media. Since he pretty much HAS to form a 'presidential exploratory committee' to be in the debate he has already said he will be in, he might announce that committee.

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't know. It was pointed out that he gets a run of media for his book, and it might not be smart to waste his announcement, which will get him another run of media. Since he pretty much HAS to form a 'presidential exploratory committee' to be in the debate he has already said he will be in, he might announce that committee.
That would make sense, do the book run this week, and then the following week do the announcement.

speciallyblend
04-22-2011, 01:47 PM
you bring up a good point. Ron Paul has clearly indicated he has no interest in running for President. I think that's a strong indication that we should look elsewhere for 2012.

This was a post on facebook on another ron paul supporters page! I already clarified to the supporter! I also called the gary campaign and left a message!! I also posted the ron paul moneybomb on garys facebook fan page!! I left the name of the facebook user who posted the above fb post off;) so the rpf cats don't pounce. Though i did leave a pretty clear and precise voicemail to the gary campaign!!

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 01:51 PM
you bring up a good point. Ron Paul has clearly indicated he has no interest in running for President. I think that's a strong indication that we should look elsewhere for 2012.

I have seen so much of that kind of crap all over the web. If you really want to get angry, go to the Hannity forums which have been hit by GJ supporters talking about how much more mainstream and younger GJ is than Ron but 'with all the good stuff'.

The most recent version of what you quote is the 'well. Ron hasn't declared YET so forget all the stuff he HAS done that looks like he's running, including being in the debate, and support GJ until Ron declares....'

devil21
04-22-2011, 02:38 PM
My bet is Ron announces his exploratory committee on the 25th, which is tantamount to a campaign announcement.

Im sure he knows that we don't want to keep hanging waiting for him to decide. Besides, no "frontrunners" have announced yet, so why should Ron?

I really wish yall would chill out. He's going to run. No doubt in my mind. He's just waiting for the proper timing.

belian78
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Link? :confused:

Hate to be snarky, but for someone that just went on a heated diatribe about how 'in' you are with Ron and Rand, you should really know about this right? :P

Matt Collins
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Hate to be snarky, but for someone that just went on a heated diatribe about how 'in' you are with Ron and Rand, you should really know about this right? :P
Yes good point, but I don't get a lot of the day to day stuff, more the bigger picture stuff.

Magicman
04-22-2011, 03:04 PM
sailing, did you find it interesting that Ron was completely untroubled when that Florida reporter mentioned that Gary announced?

It gives me confidence not only because I know Ron is very skilled politically and GJ will be nothing more than a distraction, but also because he knows that he can easily handle any group of candidates.

Have you ever thought of the positive effects on Gary Johnson being up there too? Both him and Ron Paul will make people take their eyes off of the neocons's policies

nobody's_hero
04-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Have you ever thought of the positive effects on Gary Johnson being up there too? Both him and Ron Paul will make people take their eyes off of the neocons's policies

I've thought about this myself. It'll be great for the debates, if they can avoid confronting one another (i'm betting that the moderators will try to drive a wedge somehow, ex. "So tell me, Governor Johnson, you and Ron Paul have some very similar issues, and are bringing to light some issues that have been absent from GOP debates for quite some time, but I was wondering if you could tell me how you differ from Dr. Paul on blah blah blah"). I really worry about what happens after the debates though, and that depends entirely on how inflated some egos are going to get.

Romulus
04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to be more accurate? RP didn't say anything...

Benton said that Paul, who made an unsuccessful presidential bid in 2008, would base a decision to run this time in part on the response he receives at the May 5 debate.

sailingaway
04-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to be more accurate? RP didn't say anything...

I'm fine with a mod doing it, but I can only change titles for a short time after I start a thread.

devil21
04-25-2011, 10:40 PM
My bet is Ron announces his exploratory committee on the 25th, which is tantamount to a campaign announcement.

Im sure he knows that we don't want to keep hanging waiting for him to decide. Besides, no "frontrunners" have announced yet, so why should Ron?

I really wish yall would chill out. He's going to run. No doubt in my mind. He's just waiting for the proper timing.

Boom. Called it.

anaconda
04-25-2011, 11:04 PM
t
I've thought about this myself. It'll be great for the debates, if they can avoid confronting one another (i'm betting that the moderators will try to drive a wedge somehow, ex. "So tell me, Governor Johnson, you and Ron Paul have some very similar issues, and are bringing to light some issues that have been absent from GOP debates for quite some time, but I was wondering if you could tell me how you differ from Dr. Paul on blah blah blah"). I really worry about what happens after the debates though, and that depends entirely on how inflated some egos are going to get.

That's a no brainer. They both need to simply say "the differences between us is far far less than the differences we each have with the rest of the candidates here. And that's what is worth talking about..."

Or words to that effect.

low preference guy
04-25-2011, 11:06 PM
They both need to simply say "the differences between us is far far less than the differences we each have with the rest of the candidates here. and that's what is worth talking about..."

I don't think they'll say that. They are in competition. Paul will likely just say that he isn't talking about personalities but about ideas.