PDA

View Full Version : Building libertarian movements in both parties

Lisle16
04-21-2011, 10:14 PM
So I was thinking that a pro-gun, anti-war, anti-War on Drugs, pro-civil liberties libertarian Democrat could win in certain districts in California, including my own (CA-14). The thing to keep in mind is that most people are Democrats or Republicans because of a few issues, and those issues are actually pretty close to a Libertarian platform-most Americans want liberty, not tyranny. It's really a matter of priorities for most people-if they are more against the wars or corporatism, they vote Democratic, if they are against abortion, high taxes, high spending they tend to vote Republican.

Its' really a matter of emphasis. Obviously, you can emphasize small government, lower taxes, states rights, etc. if you want to run as a libertarian Republican. However, what a libertarian Democratic and libertarian Republican campaign would have in common is that preserving and defending liberty is the single most important theme, and that all other issues follow that.

Any thoughts here? Is it possible to build libertarian movements in both parties?

Indy Vidual
04-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Any thoughts here? Is it possible to build libertarian movements in both parties?
Yes!
Run Lisle Run for office. :)

TheNcredibleEgg
04-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Yes!
Run Lisle Run for office. :)

Lisle MoneyBomb - May 15, 2011

Spread the word!

Ekrub
04-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I think John Dennis already tried out-lefting Pelosi and it had almost no effect. I think what you are proposing is possible and there are/have been civil libertarians in Congress, but good luck with being a just civil libertarian without promising gobs of welfare/green energy/ whatever it is that those Bay Area folks vote for.

heavenlyboy34
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I don't believe in giving elected or appointed officials any significant power over me. I also doubt you'll get a significant libertarian surge in any major party because they are beholden to their sponsors-whose best interests are in anything BUT individual liberty. But, do as you will.