PDA

View Full Version : Iowa poll shows that Huckabee's supporters flock to Ron if Huckabee doesn't run

Brett85
04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
http://race42012.com/2011/04/19/poll-watch-ppp-gop-iowa-caucus/#comments

nate895
04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I came over to Ron from Huck in '07, right as Huck's popular was on its ascendancy. The thing with Huck is that he seems to espouse much of the right principles in a much more complete fashion than the average GOP hack like Romney, but simply doesn't apply them. That's where we can get his followers.

UtahApocalypse
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Full PDF: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_IA_04191118.pdf

Very interesting stuff that we should use to strategies.

Carehn
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Looks like huckabee will run then.

nate895
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Full PDF: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_IA_04191118.pdf

Very interesting stuff that we should use to strategies.

Look at Johnson's number, lol. And some people suggest that he is more electable than Ron. That's just nuts.

Edit: Another interesting thing is that Paul's favorability amongst the Tea Part is better than amongst the average voters by a significant margin, but his support does not come from the Tea Party as far as votes go.

Brett85
04-21-2011, 09:37 PM
It seemed very surprising to me. Maybe Huck's supporters agree with Ron on foreign policy but just don't think he's electable?

AuH20
04-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Huck is a far superior speaker to Ron. He really possesses the rare touch of being able to engage an audience. I may not like Huckabee but can at least give him praise in that area.

nate895
04-21-2011, 09:42 PM
It seemed very surprising to me. Maybe Huck's supporters agree with Ron on foreign policy but just don't think he's electable?

No, I think the consideration of these voters is that they like Huckabee somewhat, and they trust him because he's an outspoken Evangelical and a former pastor. Paul needs to advertise the fact that he's a Christian in Iowa and that way he can take away the Huck vote.

Edit: That should also help me with my campaigning for him on campus next year.

libertybrewcity
04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Huckabee hasn't really hinted at the possibility of running. Romney at least has ads on youtube. Huckabee has a nice career with fox news, and he probably not only is pulling in a few million at least, but he also may have a contract with them for a while.

Huckabee also knows that he can't win anything other than the south. He has labeled himself as a Christian and nothing else. I can't see independents going for him at all. I would say the chance that he runs is only about 25%.

nate895
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Huckabee hasn't really hinted at the possibility of running. Romney at least has ads on youtube. Huckabee has a nice career with fox news, and he probably not only is pulling in a few million at least, but he also may have a contract with them for a while.

Huckabee also knows that he can't win anything other than the south. He has labeled himself as a Christian and nothing else. I can't see independents going for him at all. I would say the chance that he runs is only about 25%.

Huckabee is at least as competitive as Romney in most polls as well. This upcoming election seems to be his to lose if he runs.

sailingaway
04-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Huckabee is at least as competitive as Romney in most polls as well. This upcoming election seems to be his to lose if he runs.

At the moment, but my thought is that he is polling now better than he would do in an actual election with vetting etc. He's had a pass the last couple of years. he might think the same thing. I did see a story last week that he was meeting with potential donors though. According to that article, his last campaign was short for cash and unless he'd tap new donors they didn't think he'd run.

nate895
04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
At the moment, but my thought is that he is polling now better than he would do in an actual election with vetting etc. He's had a pass the last couple of years. he might think the same thing. I did see a story last week that he was meeting with potential donors though. According to that article, his last campaign was short for cash and unless he'd tap new donors they didn't think he'd run.

I don't think he has many skeletons in his closet. The guy to me seems trustworthy. However, I just think he doesn't apply his principles very well. He has them, but then he forgets them when he enters into specifics. That's a problem with a lot of Evangelicals. They have principles and strongly held presuppositions about reality, but they just don't apply them. They seem perpetually unwilling to have a strong backbone.

That strange pardon issue from back in 2009 is the only thing I can see coming up in a character attack, but that is as far from legit as you can get on that front and still suck in a few voting zombies.

surf
04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Huck is a far superior speaker to Ron. He really possesses the rare touch of being able to engage an audience. I may not like Huckabee but can at least give him praise in that area.

Huck is a superior speaker as long as you don't pay attention to what he says....