PDA

View Full Version : NV Senator resigns. Time for Angle?

Pauls' Revere
04-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Any chance Angle can swoop in?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110421/ap_on_go_co/us_ensign_resignation

I dont know the rules/laws about that.

sailingaway
04-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Don't we have someone of our own?

I think Angle is going to run for a Congressional seat.

Pauls' Revere
04-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Ok, but who?

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Angle could win the open seat, I'm wondering though who else will step up for a primary. And will Brewer appoint someone before the election, or will it be a special election?

Pauls' Revere
04-21-2011, 07:03 PM

Cant she change her mind and run for Senate?

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Cant she change her mind and run for Senate?

Why doesn't she run for both? She seems to love elections...

sailingaway
04-21-2011, 07:07 PM
How much do we like her? I didn't follow her that closely, but my Aunt, GOP all her life, absolutely hates her (and lives in Reno). Is she really one of ours? The only other person on earth I've seen my Aunt react that way to was Palin (and that startled me too.)

ForLibertyFight
04-21-2011, 07:09 PM
She's not like any one of us except on a few positions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Angle#Positions

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Angle believes that the U.S. Department of Education should be eliminated
Angle believes that the U.S. should withdraw from the United Nations
Angle supports the Federal Marriage Amendment to ban same-sex marriage.
Angle has said that the Social Security system should be "transitioned out".
Angle favors the privatization of Medicare.
Angle opposes abortion
Angle voted against fluoridating drinking water.
Angle favors a comprehensive audit of the Federal Reserve
Angle favors eliminating the complete Internal Revenue Service code and abolishing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.
Angle does not believe in man-made global warming.
Angle believes America must expand its own domestic energy supplies.
Angle has used the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms, in her rhetoric on several occasions.

All things I can agree with her on.

AuH20
04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Angle would be 99% better than nearly all the sitting senators.

AuH20
04-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Angle believes that the U.S. Department of Education should be eliminated
Angle believes that the U.S. should withdraw from the United Nations
Angle supports the Federal Marriage Amendment to ban same-sex marriage.
Angle has said that the Social Security system should be "transitioned out".
Angle favors the privatization of Medicare.
Angle opposes abortion
Angle voted against fluoridating drinking water.
Angle favors a comprehensive audit of the Federal Reserve
Angle favors eliminating the complete Internal Revenue Service code and abolishing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.
Angle does not believe in man-made global warming.
Angle believes America must expand its own domestic energy supplies.
Angle has used the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms, in her rhetoric on several occasions.

All things I can agree with her on.

It's basically Ron Paul in a dress. The only problem is that she got sloppy with the media instead of playing the "game." Rand knows how to play the game. Another huge obstacle that derailed her is the fact that Nevada is a heavily driven patronage state.

Southron
04-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Edit. Too slow

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
It's basically Ron Paul in a dress. The only problem is that she got sloppy with the media instead of playing the "game." Rand knows how to play the game. Another huge obstacle that derailed her is that Nevada is a heavily driven patronage state.

Yeah, she had a horrible campaign. Doesn't know when to just shut up. Too bad really.

anaconda
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM

This might change her plans..

Shane Harris
04-21-2011, 07:25 PM
It's basically Ron Paul in a dress. The only problem is that she got sloppy with the media instead of playing the "game." Rand knows how to play the game. Another huge obstacle that derailed her is the fact that Nevada is a heavily driven patronage state.

i actually havent been all too impressed with rands game playing. a lot of people dont like him. anyone remember the painful rachel maddow interview

anaconda
04-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Angle could win the open seat, I'm wondering though who else will step up for a primary. And will Brewer appoint someone before the election, or will it be a special election?

According to the article I read it's both: governor appoints someone and they have a special election.

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
This might change her plans..

Probably will.

anaconda
04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
i actually havent been all too impressed with rands game playing. a lot of people dont like him. anyone remember the painful rachel maddow interview

I have been wildly impressed beyond all expectations. A lot of Democrats don't like him. And a lot of neocons. His political tactics have been well planned and effective. The Maddow interview helped him immensely, in my opinion. He seems to have used it as a motivational springboard to really get his style and talking points prioritized.

Ekrub
04-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Angle would have been better than 98% of sitting senators. ;) it was too bad she couldn't keep her mouth shut when she was ahead. Winning Reid's seat would have been awesome.

anaconda
04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Dear Forum members:

Isn't this potentially HUGE? One of the biggest Tea Party senate candidates who only lost by a few percentage points NOW HAS AN OPEN SEAT in her state? HOLY SHIT! And everybody here is like "Yah, whatever.."

This is a giant opportunity. She has an entire infrastructure she can instantly resurrect, I would imagine. Wouldn't this be an enormous edge over the competition?

The unenthusiastic response here on the forum is almost surreal, in my humble opinion.

low preference guy
04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Dear Forum members:

Isn't this potentially HUGE? One of the biggest Tea Party senate candidates who only lost by a few percentage points NOW HAS AN OPEN SEAT in her state? HOLY SHIT!

It's not an open seat to replace a Democrat. That's why it's not very exciting.

anaconda
04-21-2011, 07:44 PM
It's not an open seat to replace a Democrat. That's why it's not very exciting.

My surreal experience continues here....

This would be like saying that it was "not very exciting" to get Rand Paul into the Senate. I mean, he didn't replace a Democrat. Not very interesting or politically substantive...

I must be having some weird dream. I'll wake up eventually.

low preference guy
04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
My surreal experience continues here....

This would be like saying that it was "not very exciting" to get Rand Paul in the Senate. I mean, he didn't replace a Democrat. Not very interesting or politically substantive.

I must be having some weird dream. I'll wake up eventually.

But there was other factor in that race. You realize that Dr. Paul is not Sharron Angle, right? Plus, she already lost once. Why would she win now? And lastly, she won't run! She is planning to run for the house.

anaconda
04-21-2011, 07:57 PM
But there was other factor in that race. You realize that Dr. Paul is not Sharron Angle, right? Plus, she already lost once. Why would she win now? And lastly, she won't run! She is planning to run for the house.

Still surrreal. Now I know I'm asleep and having a weird dream..

1) She lost to a very well connected incumbent Washington D.C. insider, and nearly kicked his ass. I can't imagine her facing as formidable an opponent this time. 2) She was probably running for House as a second choice to being senator, so why would she not jump in a heartbeat at this open senate seat? 3) "She lost once?" How is that relevant? To the contrary, she got a lot of votes in November and the voter turnout profile this time might be sufficiently different to hand her not just a win, but actually a landslide. 4) Look at her platform (see Eduardo's post above). She is probably the only other senatorial candidate that was not a teocon imposter like Rubio, etc., and is way way closer to RP, Rand, and Mike Lee than anyone else in the Senate.

low preference guy
04-21-2011, 08:01 PM
3) She lost once? How is that relevant? To the contrary, she got a lot of votes and the turnout profile might be sufficiently different to hand a landslide.

Open your eyes and stop ignoring reality. Whether you like it or not, she was blamed for the loss. Everyone today believes that if someone else was nominated they would've won. Whether that's true or not, that narrative was established and there is no indication that she is even willing to try to change that.

emr1028
04-21-2011, 08:03 PM
"In September 2010, Angle told a group of Tea Party supporters that "Sharia law" had taken over the cities of Dearborn, Michigan and Frankford, Texas and that these locations represented a "militant terrorist situation." These comments were scrutinized, as Frankford, Texas was annexed by Dallas in 1975 and now consists only of a small church and cemetery. Dearborn mayor John O'Reilly criticized Angle as well, saying that "There's no sharia law in Dearborn, Mich. ... It isn't even talked about in Dearborn," that Angle's claims were dishonest, and that "Muslims have been practicing their faith in our community for almost 90 years without incident or conflict. To suggest that they have taken over ignores the fact that Dearborn hosts seven mosques and 60 Christian churches."

We already have enough problems being called kooks and nutjobs and such. I don't know if it's a good idea for us to support an actual islamaphobic nutter.

anaconda
04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Open your eyes and stopped ignoring reality. Whether you like it or not, she was blamed for the loss. Everyone today believes that if someone else was nominated they would've won. Whether that's true or not, that narrative was established and there is no indication that she is even willing to try to change that.

I give up.

low preference guy
04-21-2011, 08:06 PM
I give up.

Try again once she announces her candidacy.

sailingaway
04-21-2011, 08:13 PM
We need youtubes selected by those who support her. I didn't track her closely because I was looking at other races. I realize I just saw the caricature, and know from how badly they lied about Rand that they could have done the same to her. So show us something to excite us about her. You know what we would show you if you were asking about Ron Paul.

silentshout
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Blech, no.

cindy25
04-21-2011, 08:18 PM
I wonder why this is being ignored by CNN, FOX, Drudge...

I only saw it on Huffington

Brett85
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
"Democratic Congresswoman Shelley Berkley and GOP Congressman Dean Heller are seeking Ensign's seat. A Democratic lawyer, Byron Georgiou, is also in the race."

Isn't Heller actually pretty good? Didn't he vote against the Patriot Act? It sounds like the governor will appoint him, and then they'll have a special election to fill his seat.

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Dean Heller:

Support our troops and win the war on terrorism. (Nov 2006)
Voted NO on requiring FISA warrants for wiretaps in US, but not abroad. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on Veto override: Congressional oversight of CIA interrogations. (Mar 2008)
Voted YES on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad. (Aug 2007)
Voted YES on retroactive immunity for telecoms' warrantless surveillance. (Jun 2008)

Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)
Voted YES on $60B stimulus package for jobs, infrastructure, & energy. (Sep 2008)

Voted YES on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)

Voted NO on investigating Bush impeachment for lying about Iraq. (Jun 2008)
Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)

sailingaway
04-21-2011, 08:37 PM
dean heller:

hmmm I think I read some of those backwards.

So he was voting to have Congressional oversight of CIA or not?

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 08:43 PM
hmmm I think I read some of those backwards.

So he was voting to have Congressional oversight of CIA or not?

Against. He voted against overriding a Presidential veto of a bill to get Congressional oversight.

Brett85
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/feb/08/heller-joins-bipartisan-coalition-stall-extension-/

HOLLYWOOD
04-22-2011, 02:22 AM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/feb/08/heller-joins-bipartisan-coalition-stall-extension-/

Dean Heller has changed because of Ron Paul in 2008. Heller knows the power of Liberty and activism in NV(all 3 delegates were SUPPOSE to go to Ron Paul in 2008 GOP covention). This is good since Ensign was an establishment hack... like Ron says, it doesn't take long to figure out how these elected officials change once they set foot on Capital Hill. It's a WIN-WIN... Dean Heller in the Senate and Sharon Angle will take Heller's district 2 seat. We're all still pissed how fascist crone lying mother fucker Harry Reid stole the US Senate seat away from Sharron Angle last November.

Sen. John Ensign to resign, Dean Heller likely replacement (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/21/report-sen-john-ensign-step-down-friday/)

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/21/report-sen-john-ensign-step-down-friday/

http://media.lasvegassun.com/media/img/croppedphotos/2011/04/21/0307ensign03_r653x300.jpg?ef091ef0cf4954fa0e0e88ac 89b97246f62ba0fb (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/21/report-sen-john-ensign-step-down-friday/)
Steve Marcus / Las Vegas Sun

U.S. Sen. John Ensign announces he will not seek another term in 2012 during a news conference at the Lloyd George Federal Building in Las Vegas Monday, March 7, 2011.

By Karoun Demirjian

WASHINGTON -- Embattled Sen. John Ensign announced this afternoon he will resign from office, effective May 3. The move opens the door for Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval to appoint Rep. Dean Heller to finish out the term.

Sola_Fide
04-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Dear Forum members:

Isn't this potentially HUGE? One of the biggest Tea Party senate candidates who only lost by a few percentage points NOW HAS AN OPEN SEAT in her state? HOLY SHIT! And everybody here is like "Yah, whatever.."

This is a giant opportunity. She has an entire infrastructure she can instantly resurrect, I would imagine. Wouldn't this be an enormous edge over the competition?

The unenthusiastic response here on the forum is almost surreal, in my humble opinion.

I agree.

Angle would be great!

Galileo Galilei
04-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Angle would be 99% better than nearly all the sitting senators.

98%

anaconda
04-22-2011, 05:57 PM
According to the article I read it's both: governor appoints someone and they have a special election.

It's more complicated than I thought

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53593.html

TheTyke
04-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Ron Paul is the only sponsor of the annual bill to leave the United Nations. Electing Angle would be worth it just to have another Senator that would! Would be great in my book. Yep, she wouldn't be a Rand or Mike Lee, but someone they could work with... and wouldn't blindly follow the one-party-Establishment.

showpan
04-22-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm from NV. I kind of like Heller. Angle can't stop sticking her own foot in her mouth and I don't think she would ever have the ability to win anything...the only thing I do like about her is her stance on immigration. She told NV that she would end SS and madicare....most of rural NV voters receive both...lol...this pretty much killed her chances.

Lbcpunk
04-22-2011, 06:38 PM
http://www.newsmax.com/WayneAllynRoot/gop-sharron-angle-harry/2010/11/03/id/375884

There was also reports of voter fraud. I doubt it, but it's a possibility.

WilliamShrugged
04-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm from NV. I kind of like Heller. Angle can't stop sticking her own foot in her mouth and I don't think she would ever have the ability to win anything...the only thing I do like about her is her stance on immigration. She told NV that she would end SS and madicare....most of rural NV voters receive both...lol...this pretty much killed her chances.

I also live in Nv and think Heller does a good job. I was at the Republican dinner in Fallon,Nv and all the big name republican in this state were there and I noticed all everyone cared about was Sandoval. Heller was ignored. Which shows he is doing good.

HOLLYWOOD
04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Hot off the presses: Nevada governor appoints Representative Dean Heller to serve out the rest of US Senator John Ensign's Term.

District 2 opens up for Sharon Angle

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-rep-dean-heller-will-fill-out-the-rest-of-john-ensigns-senate-term-2011-4

U.S. Rep. Dean Heller Will Fill Out The Rest Of John Ensign's Senate Term
Apr. 27, 2011, 5:17 PM

Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval (R) announced today that he will appoint U.S. Rep. Dean Heller (R) to fill out the rest of U.S. Senator John Ensign's term, the National Journal reports. (http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2011/04/sandoval-makes.php)
Ensign resigned last week (http://www.businessinsider.com/sen-ensign-r-nv-to-resign-tomorrow-2011-4) amid an ethics investigation (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/sen-ensign-under-ethics-inquiry-admits-no-wrongdoing-but-says-he-will-resign/2011/04/21/AFzoBOLE_story.html?hpid=z2) into how he handled an affair with a former political aide whose husband was also on Ensign's staff.
Heller will now have the advantage of incumbency in Nevada's already spirited Senate race. The former Nevada Secretary of State will face off against U.S. Rep. Shelley Berkley, a popular moderate from Las Vegas. Heller's votes in the Senate will be watched closely, which likely means he will continue his recent shift to the right to stave off a Tea Party challenge in the GOP primaries.

Sola_Fide
04-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Hot off the presses: Nevada governor appoints Representative Dean Heller to serve out the rest of US Senator John Ensign's Term.

District 2 opens up for Sharon Angle

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-rep-dean-heller-will-fill-out-the-rest-of-john-ensigns-senate-term-2011-4

Great. I like Sharron.

HOLLYWOOD
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Great. I like Sharron.Tomorrow's the big day... Ron Paul, Dean Heller, and Sharon Angle at the reception prior to the campus speech @ UNR. That's $200 very well spent.

WilliamShrugged
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
If sharron wins the district things could get pretty interesting in this state.

ronpaulhawaii
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Go nv!!!