PDA

View Full Version : Will Lee, Paul and DeMint filibuster the debt ceiling vote?

RileyE104
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
So I read a few days back that if they filibuster it will require seven Republicans to shut them up, which will then implicate the GOP in a raise of the debt ceiling since it will most likely occur if the filibuster is stopped.

If they decide to filibuster, will only one of them do it? Or will all three share time filibustering?
I don't know how this works.. Can someone fill me in?

low preference guy
04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm confident at least one of them will filibuster, and the other two will vote against ending the filibuster.

RileyE104
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm confident at least one of them will filibuster, and the other two will vote against ending the filibuster.

If one filibusters and they are forced to stop, could one of the other two filibuster or does it require an immediate vote after the filibuster is stopped?

low preference guy
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
If one filibusters and they are forced to stop, could one of the other two filibuster or does it require an immediate vote after the filibuster is stopped?

I'm not an expert, but I think the way it works is this: When one decides to "filibuster" a bill, they just object it, they don't talk for hours (it actually only requires one Senator). To remove the hold you need 60 votes. That's why 60 Republicans are needed to break the filibuster. Hopefully there aren't enough.

t0rnado
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Jim DeMint already stated that he would filibuster the debt-ceiling increase unless there was a balanced-budget amendment passed, so Rand Paul and Mike Lee are likely to as well.

The 7 defectors will probably be the two cunts from Maine, Scott Brown, Mark Kirk, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Lisa Murkowski. Complete wastes of carbon.

low preference guy
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
The 7 defectors will probably be the two cunts from Maine, Scott Brown, Mark Kirk, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, and Lisa Murkowski. Complete wastes of carbon.

Let them.

AuH20
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Jim DeMint already stated that he would filibuster the debt-ceiling increase unless there was a balanced-budget amendment passed, so Rand Paul and Mike Lee are likely to as well.

Out of that list, who is politically vulnerable? I see Graham and perhaps Snowe and Collins. But the others look safe, which is the entire motivation for killing the filibuster.

daviddee
04-21-2011, 12:24 AM

daviddee
04-21-2011, 12:29 AM

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 03:15 AM
Out of that list, who is politically vulnerable? I see Graham and perhaps Snowe and Collins. But the others look safe, which is the entire motivation for killing the filibuster.

It's either snow or Collins who is up for reelection next year and has the threat of a tea party primary challenger.

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm wondering if the GOP could potentially get Manchin to vote against raising the debt ceiling...he's probably the most conservative democrat and he's up for reelection in 2012. Same with Conrad, Nelson and Testor.

daviddee
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
What I read, can't remember where, is that whichever RINO from Maine is up for reelection next year has the possiblity of a tea party candidate challenging her in the primary, even if that would mean a GOP loss.