PDA

View Full Version : I will truly miss overtime pay, if the government eases regulations on employers.

I Don't Vote
04-20-2011, 05:04 PM
I want a free market. But I love my overtime pay.

We get backed up a lot at work and because I am the only reliable person to do certain tests and analysis, I have to stay late (sometimes really late) and work those overtime hours. I probably would still do them even if I got paid at the same rate. But man, that time and a half is cool shit, holmes. I know my employer does not benefit from having to pay a time and a half, but I know I enjoy it very much.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but this is one of the few occasions where I'm on the winning side of the equation when it comes to government taxes and regulations.

Overtime pay is the shit. No liberal.

Icymudpuppy
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM
If he doesn't have to pay you overtime, he could just raise your pay across the board. So instead of getting time&1/2 for over 40hrs, you could just get a 25% raise.

White Bear Lake
04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Negotiate. If you're worth the extra pay to him, I'm sure they'd figure out a way to pay you extra.

TheNcredibleEgg
04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
If there was no gov't mandate forcing time and half pay, you would still have the power to demand it yourself. You don't need the gov't.

If your employer refuses and can find someone else to work overtime for less - well, then, the free market rules against you. But if you are the only reliable person then your employer will still pay - if you demand it and there is no cheaper option for them.

I Don't Vote
04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
If he doesn't have to pay you overtime, he could just raise your pay across the board. So instead of getting time&1/2 for over 40hrs, you could just get a 25% raise.

However, when I first got hired I didn't work overtime like I do now. Our company is doing really well right now, at this moment. They haven't hired anybody else to help out so I get overloaded, but this wasn't part of their forecast. So when my next evaluation comes up and they feel that I might have to work a lot of overtime hours, they might just switch me to salary. I work a salary-type job (everyone else in my department is salary), but when I found out I was hourly, I wasn't so happy at first (no sick days), but when the overtime started rolling in (5-8hrs/week), I was a happy man.

Not defending overtime regulation, but that shit is the shit.

dbill27
04-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Most companies offer paid vacations, I don't know of any government regulations making companies do this. They do it to entice good employees though, if one company didn't do it and others did, then the companies that did would get all the good employees. I'm not so sure your company wouldn't still pay you overtime, especially since it's already an accepted idea. Not to mention, i've worked at places that wouldn't let anyone work over 40 hours cause they didn't want to waste the money. So, even though I wanted to work more and needed more money, I couldn't work more than 40 hours since I couldn't legally negotiate with my employer around those regulations.

I Don't Vote
04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Also, when I say I'm the only reliable person, I don't mean to brag. It's just that you have two types of people working in our lab -- people that just follow the procedure, and people that question the procedures and voice their ideas as to why some things should be done in a different way. I'm the latter. My boss trusts that I will do the right thing according to the situation, which happens to change from sample to sample, raw material to raw material, competitor sample to competitor sample. My boss wants intuition and active problem solving, not just following procedure which my coworkers tend to do.

So other people CAN do my work, but if I'm not on vacation, they are not going to request anybody else to do their testing.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Overtime?

Wazzat?

TheNcredibleEgg
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Also, when I say I'm the only reliable person, I don't mean to brag. It's just that you have two types of people working in our lab -- people that just follow the procedure, and people that question the procedures and voice their ideas as to why some things should be done in a different way. I'm the latter. My boss trusts that I will do the right thing according to the situation, which happens to change from sample to sample, raw material to raw material, competitor sample to competitor sample. My boss wants intuition and active problem solving, not just following procedure which my coworkers tend to do.

So other people CAN do my work, but if I'm not on vacation, they are not going to request anybody else to do their testing.

I think you're selling yourself short.

I don't think you are getting time and a half because of a gov't regulation. I think you are getting time and a half because you are a "reliable" employee - even above and beyond based on your comment. So your boss needs you and appreciates you. They don't have to let you work overtime - but they do. It's because of you. You are giving the gov't credit for something that is purely your accomplishment.

And if there was no such gov't regulation - I have few doubts you would still get the same pay - if you ask for it.

dannno
04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
If there was no gov't mandate forcing time and half pay, you would still have the power to demand it yourself. You don't need the gov't.

If your employer refuses and can find someone else to work overtime for less - well, then, the free market rules against you. But if you are the only reliable person then your employer will still pay - if you demand it and there is no cheaper option for them.

That's the one

justinc.1089
04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
I HATE overtime pay!

Overtime pay causes my boss to fear me approaching 40 hours a week! So much so, that he tries to only give me about 30 hours a week because our store is hurting big time right now.

And I really really really need like 60 hours a week in a few weeks when I'm done with school, not including extra overtime pay.

I despise the government requiring time and a half overtime pay because it hurts me, by reducing the amount of money I make dramatically, rather than increasing the amount of money I make.

I got overtime pay maybe ONE time on accident by my boss lol. After that happened once, or maybe twice, he made sure it didn't happen again. And now that business has been terrible for a few years, he tries to be sure to keep me around 30 hours a week instead of 40 to be sure he doesn't have to pay me time and half if I have to fill in for someone else that can't show up.

ItsTime
04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
What is over time?

justinc.1089
04-20-2011, 05:33 PM
If you're on hourly pay, and work over 40 hours a week, you're employer is supposed to pay you your pay plus half of it for every hour of over time. So you would make say $8 an hour for 40 hours, then $12 an hour for 10 hours if you had a 50 hour work week.

ItsTime
04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
If you're on hourly pay, and work over 40 hours a week, you're employer is supposed to pay you your pay plus half of it for every hour of over time. So you would make say $8 an hour for 40 hours, then $12 an hour for 10 hours if you had a 50 hour work week.

I was kidding ;) I own two companies and often work over 40 hours a week without any "additional" pay.

justinc.1089
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
I was kidding ;) I own two companies and often work over 40 hours a week without any "additional" pay.

Haha you got me.

What companies? Because I'm a good, smart, libertarian, Ron Paul supporting, 22 year old guy who will have a bachelor's in business management in a year, and I have 7 years of experience in retailing. I also interned with the largest and best live entertainment theatre in the grand strand area of South Carolina, the Carolina Opry.

I will also just so happen to be in the job market when I graduate next year lol...

QueenB4Liberty
04-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I wish I'd get overtime, or a raise. It sucks having a work ethic when no one else does and yet they get raises and keep their jobs. (contract job, different job agencies, etc.)

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Most companies offered overtime pay, and sometimes more prior the govt making them pay time and a half.

I Don't Vote
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Most companies offered overtime pay, and sometimes more prior the govt making them pay time and a half.

Really?

This could be part of my ammunition against liberals.

Links? Evidence? It's not like I don't believe you, I just want links so if I use this in an argument I can point motherfuckers to the truth.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I wish I'd get overtime, or a raise. It sucks having a work ethic when no one else does and yet they get raises and keep their jobs. (contract job, different job agencies, etc.)

My years spent commercial fishing probably had the most direct work/reward system.

You get paid on a "share" basis, a portion of the total catch after all the expenses, fuel/food/ice (bait and lightsticks if you are longlining), after which the the net proceeds of the trip are split, usually 60/40 and then split again based on how many crew, with some receiving a perq or "double share", captains and engineers usually.

What you make is directly related to how much you hustle, and how well you can keep the gear fishing and the vessel running.

Sometimes you end up with nothing, zero dollars being made after expenses are paid.

That's called a "broker". You went out broke and came back broker.

Then again, I've made the most money I've ever made in my life doing that. One one epic trip, over $3000 a day.

trey4sports
04-20-2011, 06:09 PM
However, when I first got hired I didn't work overtime like I do now. Our company is doing really well right now, at this moment. They haven't hired anybody else to help out so I get overloaded, but this wasn't part of their forecast. So when my next evaluation comes up and they feel that I might have to work a lot of overtime hours, they might just switch me to salary. I work a salary-type job (everyone else in my department is salary), but when I found out I was hourly, I wasn't so happy at first (no sick days), but when the overtime started rolling in (5-8hrs/week), I was a happy man.

When i worked at a sub shop i worked overtime a lot, and I noticed overtime is taxed at a much higher rate as well. I dont have the numbers but i decided it simply wasnt worth it after taxes

Anti Federalist
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
When i worked at a sub shop i worked overtime a lot, and I noticed overtime is taxed at a much higher rate as well. I dont have the numbers but i decided it simply wasnt worth it after taxes

Do you know why that is?

I Don't Vote
04-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Do you know why that is?

It doesn't matter what you make yearly, but what you make every paycheck. If you work let's say 30hrs of overtime, and you get $1000 extra, they automatically take more taxes (as a percentage) out of your paycheck.

If you get paid weekly, you pay less taxes weekly, than a person that gets paid biweekly, where the check is a larger sum. I don't know why that is but it is.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Think about all the people who would like to work more than 40 hours but cant because the business does not want to pay the extra money. Also, think about how you would be negotiate better incentives. For example, double-time or triple-time, depending on the work.

LibertyRevolution
04-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Overtime taxes used to destroy my paycheck. It would always throw me into some stupidly high tax bracket.
If I worked an 80 hour week, after taxes it is only maybe $100 more that when I worked a 60 hour week...
So that last 20 hours for $100 means I'm making $5/hr..

My 60 hour check would be $1190 and after taxes it be $830.

An 80hour check for $1700 got me $980 take home... Between Fed/State/SS/medicare they would take $720.
That is 42% of my income they take off the top...

Worst were the 110 hour weeks. I get a check for $2465, they keep $1035, I take home $1430. So that is $13/hr.
Working 40 hours at $17/hr, and 70 hours at $25.50/hr = $13/hr take home??...something is wrong with the system.

Since I am a single male, and I own nothing on paper, I have no extra deductions, all I get is standard deduction.
So the government keeps most my money and sends me a $800ish tax return check...

I am currently happily unemployed and collecting my money back in the form of Unemployment.

Texan4Life
04-21-2011, 03:25 AM
yeah it definitely has its place in the free market. It is cheaper for alot of companies to pay some overtime as an incentive/reward then temporarily try and find more labor.

Like mentioned before, the harder you work the more the .gov takes.

So would there be less overtime nation wide? Probably.
Would it disappear? No
Is the worker getting stiffed with less take home pay? With lower taxes take-home would be much more, with or without overtime.

WilliamC
04-21-2011, 04:50 AM
I can't begin to recall the countless hours and days I stayed in the lab working long past a 40 hour week when I was a graduate student, then a post-doc, then a staff scientist.

Many experiments don't really fit into an 8 to 5 routine and some I used to do required a couple of months of focused effort.

You mean people actually get paid extra for that?

For me it was just part of my job. I never got any overtime, never got a bonus, never got extra time off.

The reward for a job well done was always more work.

Those were the good ole days!

dean.engelhardt
04-21-2011, 05:01 AM
I want a free market.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but this is one of the few occasions where I'm on the winning side of the equation when it comes to government taxes and regulations.

Overtime pay is the shit. No liberal.

They see me trolling; they hating.

- Rep

teacherone
04-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Overtime taxes used to destroy my paycheck. It would always throw me into some stupidly high tax bracket.
If I worked an 80 hour week, after taxes it is only maybe $100 more that when I worked a 60 hour week...
So that last 20 hours for $100 means I'm making $5/hr..

My 60 hour check would be $1190 and after taxes it be $830.

An 80hour check for $1700 got me $980 take home... Between Fed/State/SS/medicare they would take $720.
That is 42% of my income they take off the top...

Worst were the 110 hour weeks. I get a check for $2465, they keep $1035, I take home $1430. So that is $13/hr.
Working 40 hours at $17/hr, and 70 hours at $25.50/hr = $13/hr take home??...something is wrong with the system.

Since I am a single male, and I own nothing on paper, I have no extra deductions, all I get is standard deduction.
So the government keeps most my money and sends me a $800ish tax return check...

I am currently happily unemployed and collecting my money back in the form of Unemployment.

110 hour weeks?

roho76
04-21-2011, 06:15 AM

I'm not defending welfare but that shit is the shit to a welfare recipient. You don't need regulation to make overtime you just need to negotiate your salary with someone who thinks your worth it. Good luck.

LibertyRevolution
04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
110 hour weeks?

Yes 110 hours weeks, from the last week in August until the first week in October, 6 weeks back to back 110 hour weeks.
Then it gets slow 60-80hour weeks from October to December.

No days off, No sick days, No call outs allowed, No insurance offered.

I did this for 15 years. Then I was replaced by a guy I trained for 5 years that made $10/hr...

Looking back on it now, after 4 months of unemployment, I don't know how I did that job for 15 years...

Travlyr
04-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes 110 hours weeks, from the last week in August until the first week in October, 6 weeks back to back 110 hour weeks.
Then it gets slow 60-80hour weeks from October to December.

No days off, No sick days, No call outs allowed, No insurance offered.

I did this for 15 years. Then I was replaced by a guy I trained for 5 years that made $10/hr...

Looking back on it now, after 4 months of unemployment, I don't know how I did that job for 15 years...

The only reason your employer could get away with this nonsense is because the free market is not allowed to operate unobstructed. Government regulations promote this kind of employer abuse.

Laissez-faire free-market capitalism would promote an emergence of competitors who would love to have a dedicated employee, such as yourself, help them turn profits.

Sentient Void
04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
All of these things could be outlined in contracts between the employer and employee and accomplish the same thing as goby regulations.

Not to mention employers would entice potential employees with benefits like time and a half, as they do now with PTO, vacations, 401k, etc. Govt doesn't mandate that.