PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts - Cops and SWAT swarm over mall due to man with umbrella (new story)

Anti Federalist
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
This is a new story, not the one from a couple of weeks ago, where the same thing happened.

Funny to watch the system freak the fuck out and the sheeple swoon.

Man with umbrella causes rifle scare in Mass. mall

(AP) – 1 day ago

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gS4QuPYPRQb-mOp0jQfB9M-LyMMA?docId=64a3762438254d1584da77d629a72c11

BURLINGTON, Mass. (AP) — A report of a man with a rifle inside a Nordstrom department store triggered a massive police response and the evacuation of a mall near Boston on Tuesday, but the man turned out to be carrying only an umbrella.

The Burlington Mall was evacuated and closed for more than two hours as a police SWAT team wearing body armor and carrying shields searched for an armed man.

Police had received five calls about a short white man with a gray shirt and a backpack who walked in a bathroom carrying what appeared to be a rifle, Burlington Police Chief Michael Kent said at a news conference. Around 40 local, state and federal officers went to the mall after police received the first call just after 10 a.m., he said.

It turned out the man was an employee of the Lahey Clinic, a nearby hospital, who had stopped at the mall before work and was carrying an umbrella. State police and the clinic said the man called police as soon as he realized he fit the description of the person being sought.

Police questioned him and determined he was not a threat. Detectives are certain that the supposed rifle was actually an umbrella in a "sling-like case," Kent said.

In a statement, the clinic said the employee "is pleased he took appropriate action and contacted the police, however, he feels terrible about the situation." The hospital would not identify the man and said he asked that the media respect his privacy.

"He was quite cooperative," Kent said. "He did nothing wrong and we appreciate that he called us."

The mall, an upscale shopping center about 15 miles northwest of Boston with more than 185 stores, was featured in the 2009 Kevin James comedy "Paul Blart: Mall Cop." It reopened shortly after 12:30 p.m.

(This story just gets funnier by the second - AF)

Burlington Mall workers said they feared a mass shooting when police told them to leave.

"Cops just came in and told us to evacuate the mall. There's a guy with a gun," said Jose Abdul, 26, manager of a Verizon store in the mall. "I couldn't believe it. I just legged it out of there."

Dotti Gerrior, a Victoria's Secret employee, said she and about 17 other workers were trapped inside the store for about two hours after mall security told them the mall was locked down.

The employees pulled down the store's security gate, then waited in a storage area in the back of the store. They spent the time calling friends and family to let them know they were OK, Gerrior said.

"Everyone was nervous," Gerrior said. "I really believed it, and I don't fall for anything so easily. My heart was pounding so hard."

Kent defended authorities' response.

"With a report like this, you have to err on the side of caution, which we did," he said.

The initial reports also sparked a buzz on social media sites — even on the Burlington Mall's Facebook page — from concerned shoppers and relatives of mall workers. "Burlington Mall" also started trending worldwide on Twitter.

muzzled dogg
04-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Driving by as we speak

daviddee
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

georgiaboy
04-20-2011, 01:05 PM
So no security cameras, no one willing to go check the guy out? This sounds like the police & stores just got punk'd.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Driving by as we speak

There's a fresh report of a Drive By at Burlington mall now. Lock down resumed.

muzzled dogg
04-20-2011, 01:47 PM
lol thats the last thing i need is dhs on my azz

nobody's_hero
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
How long before they start requiring NFA stamps for umbrellas?

speciallyblend
04-20-2011, 02:20 PM
tweet Ron Paul 2012 Moneybomb May 5th #burlingtonmall

Anti Federalist
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
There's a fresh report of a Drive By at Burlington mall now. Lock down resumed.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/laughing-calvin--26-hobbes-337864_504_313.gif

aGameOfThrones
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
This is like the third story of this kind I've read. Why are people so stupid?

Anti Federalist
04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
This is like the third story of this kind I've read. Why are people so stupid?

The vast majority of Gestapo informers were not full-term informers working undercover, but were rather ordinary citizens who for whatever reason chose to denounce those they knew to the Gestapo.[18]

I was talking with my mother last night about this, she was telling me that during the Red Scares of the 1950s it was the same damn thing, people running around calling J. Edgar Hoover for every shadowy Commie they spotted lurking behind every tree and bush.

The difference between then and now, and why this must be stopped at all costs, is the high tech surveillance grid that being erected all around us.

Sentient Void
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Hahahah, what's funny is I heard about this while I was at work (which btw is within a few miles of that mall), and *laughed my ass off* when I heard it was really an umbrella.

I also told them how everyone is just excessively paranoid. Only in MA would people fucking freak out about that. I'm pretty sure this is completely normal around New Hampshire, Arizona, Alaska, and a couple of other States.