PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Announces Entry Criteria for SC Debate--I am worried

smtwngrl
04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Ok, you know how much Fox News hates Ron Paul and would like to exclude him. Here's a recent news release that I came across. It doesn't have a date, just April 2011. I just wonder if Ron and others involved in his PAC are aware of this and are planning with that in mind. Also, in order to file the paperwork and pay the fees, do you have to turn in petitions--or does that come later?

http://press.foxnews.com/2011/04/fox-news-announces-entry-criteria-for-may-5-south-carolina-gop-debate/

FOX NEWS ANNOUNCES ENTRY CRITERIA FOR MAY 5 SOUTH CAROLINA GOP DEBATE

FOX News has released its criteria for entry into the South Carolina Republican Party debate on May 5th, announced Michael Clemente, Senior Vice President of News for the network.

In making the announcement, Clemente said, “Every potential debate candidate must meet all six steps of the following criteria no later than 5 PM/ET on Friday April 29th in order to be eligible for participation in the debate.”

Criteria for entry are as follows:

• Must register a presidential exploratory committee or have announced a formal campaign for president; and

• Must file all necessary paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission (FEC); and

• Must file all necessary paperwork with the South Carolina Republican Party; and

• Must have paid all federal and South Carolina filing fees; and

• Must meet all U.S. Constitutional requirements; and

• Must have garnered at least an average of one percent in five national polls based on most recent polling leading up to April 29th, 2011

In December, FOX News and the South Carolina Republican Party announced they would present two presidential debates. The initial debate will take place on May 5th at the Peace Center in Greenville, South Carolina. The second debate will be held in 2012 prior to the South Carolina primary at a location to be determined.

The debates are currently scheduled to be presented live and exclusively on FOX News Channel (FNC), FOX News Radio, FOX News Mobile and FOXNews.com.

Mallory
04-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Don't worry, he's already been invivted to the debate. He'll be there. The five participants are Ron Paul, Tim Pawlenty, Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Buddy Roemer.

Moneybomb on the 5th, too -- be sure to chip in and spread the word. :)

smtwngrl
04-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes, Huckabee was invited, too. All of the candidates were invited, I think, before they set the criteria. Huckabee turned it down because he is going to wait until later in the summer to decide whether to run.

Just because they were invited, and accepted, doesn't mean they don't have to meet the criteria.

thedude
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
All he has to do is announce an exploratory committee... Besides, how many actually meet this criteria thus far? It'll be a really crappy debate and a total loss of ratings if they stick to it.

As for the debate day MB... if Paul isn't in the debate maybe he can set up a forum next door to it and we can rally around him with a big donation day.

smtwngrl
04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
The debate is televised nationally, he needs to be on it. But what I'm really concerned about is making sure those who need to take care of it are in the know. Then they can do with that information what they choose. Guess I should try to contact Liberty PAC. I just was hoping to hear that they are already aware of this and are planning for it.

thedude
04-20-2011, 10:13 AM
The debate is televised nationally, he needs to be on it. But what I'm really concerned about is making sure those who need to take care of it are in the know. Then they can do with that information what they choose. Guess I should try to contact Liberty PAC. I just was hoping to hear that they are already aware of this and are planning for it.

Do you have any reason to doubt they are? I am confused if this is an underestimation of Paul and his staff or what.

UtahApocalypse
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I invited a friend to a concert if he bought his ticket. That was the criteria. He could not afford it so could not go. Being invited is NOT saying he will be allowed to be there without meeting the requirements. If he does not announce the exploratory committee before the 29th he will not be in the debate.

The Dark Knight
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
It will be a huge mistake for Ron not to be in this debate! But I am pretty sure he will be :)

smtwngrl
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Do you have any reason to doubt they are? I am confused if this is an underestimation of Paul and his staff or what.

Well, there some times they weren't 100% organized during the last campaign.

But this is very different from 2007. By this time then, most of the candidates had already declared their candidacy. For the debates, if they sent a candidate an invite, that meant he were going...if he chose. They didn't send out invitations, and then later come up with a list of criteria.

Right now, Ron has not only not declared his candidacy, he has not even declared an exploratory committee. He is busy in Congress, and speaking in various states.

I just don't think they are very organized yet. The Liberty PAC website, on the contact page has only a snail mail address and a phone number. There's nothing under email. I called the number, and I just had to leave my number. The person who answered didn't even have the email address for Liberty PAC.

I really wouldn't be surprised to find that they were assuming, like everyone else, that Ron would be at the debate, and were not aware of the criteria that had been set.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
• Must have garnered at least an average of one percent in five national polls based on most recent polling leading up to April 29th, 2011

There goes Gary Johnson and Buddy Roemer.

devil21
04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
The minimum polling is 1% averaged over 5 polls. Ron won't have any problem with that.

smtwngrl
04-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Well, apparently, they have the paperwork prepared for an exploratory committee, so they can submit it as soon as Ron Paul announces it.

As for the polls, he is running at least 5-7% in national polls.

In the Fox News poll, not long ago, they had everyone else imaginable listed (except Ron). So like them. :-P But now, they have them in their poll, at 3%...the lowest figure I've seen on any recent poll.

Dave Aiello
04-21-2011, 01:47 PM
with the 1% criteria, santorum barely makes the cut lol. Roemer may have to sit out, and Gary Johnson may be on the fence as well.

eduardo89
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
with the 1% criteria, santorum barely makes the cut lol. Roemer may have to sit out, and Gary Johnson may be on the fence as well.

I just looked up who buddy is...he was a democratic governor in louisiana, then switched to GOP and couldn't get re-elected. He came in third. David Duke got a higher percentage of the vote than he did!

Brian4Liberty
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
• Must meet all U.S. Constitutional requirements; and

• Must have garnered at least an average of one percent in five national polls based on most recent polling leading up to April 29th, 2011.

Does the Constitutional requirement mean a Birth Certificate is required?! ;)

The Polling number is convenient. The polls usually have a limited number of candidates picked by them...

Shane Harris
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
im slightly disappointed at the turnout. all B list candidates really. wont even be a fair fight. maybe if a lot of supporters are there to cheer him when he owns it will give him good momentum into the next one. either way not many ppl will watch it because wheres romney wheres huck wheres sarah (all the mainstream voters ideas of real candidates).

devil21
04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if another candidate or two decides to attend. There's still over two weeks until the debate.

(I still havent received my tickets from SCGOP yet)