PDA

View Full Version : The SIGN Bomb!!!!

TruckinMike
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
IMPORTANT:

Dollar for dollar a coroplast sign does more good than any other advertising. WHY? Because money is spent only on the product and the dissemination expense is put forth by the Ron PAul supporter posting the sign for free.

A well placed 18"x24" yard sign can be extremely effective. How effective? well lets say you paid $2 for that sign. And put it out on a high traffic intersection, high on a post. 5000 cars a day may read that sign...EVERYDAY! $2 is much better than $75 for one 30 second radio ad... Just think, $75 would have paid for 32 different sign locations...advertising 24 hours a day everyday of its life! --- that $75 potentially made an impression on 150,000 people per day everyday! How is that for cost effective?!?!?!?

Imagine 500,000 signs instead of thirty --- Do the math 500,000 signs x 5000 a day x everyday of their life!! Its mind bogglingly terrific! 2.5 billion potential message relays per day! Ok... I know there are only 300,000,000 people in the US, but some will see it 3 or 4 times the same day. Repetition is what does the selling!

now for the Pitch...

Like the Money bomb... A sign bomb would be even more attention getting. And in a good way. And bring more people into the Ron Paul fold.

No ones sees your money as you transfer it from your credit card to the Campaign... but they would see 500,000 signs that popped up over night.

Yes, we can do this. Ten signs posted by each meetup/facebook/etc member! 50,000 members x TEN = 500,000.

IT would make our meetup sign waving parties look amateurish. Can you imagine? 500,000 signs posted in one night. It is very possible.

If we are able to get folks to buy/make their own signs- that would make it easier.

Ok ....how do we make this work?

1. we need good signs(not the message-less hope for America sign)

It must have:

a)Ron Paul
b)President '08
c)"Champion of the Constitution"
"Phase out the income tax"
"Restore the second Amendment"
etc

2. meetup group dissemination of the project

3. Someone to create a web page for pledging the 10 sign commitment.

Note: I do not have webpage making skills... I'll have to find someone... unless one of you are capable??? Hmm??

Well thats it... What are your thoughts?

Truckinmike

newmedia4ron
10-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Isn't this about the same as Paint the The Ron / Overnight (http://www.paintthetownron.com/) event?

McDermit
10-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Nope. Paint the town is random signs and banners anywhere and everywhere. Truckinmike's sign bomb is a strategic sign placement where signs are likely to be permanent. Plus there a pledge of individuals.

TruckinMike
10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes. The pledge gets them out there. And Permanent signs are infinitely more effective than the banner waving parties.

A well placed 18"x24" yard sign can be extremely effective. How effective? well lets say you paid $2 for that sign. And put it out on a high traffic intersection, high on a post. 5000 cars a day may read that sign...EVERYDAY! $2 is much better than $75 for one 30 second radio ad... Just think, $75 would have paid for 32 different sign locations...advertising 24 hours a day everyday of its life! --- that $75 potentially made an impression on 150,000 people per day everyday! How is that for cost effective?!?!?!?

WE truly are focusing on the wrong things. We need an Immediate, in your face, day and night, everywhere you go relay of the Ron Paul message.

Coroplast signs are CO$T effective. I would say to the tune of 10-1000 times more effective dollar for dollar when compared to Radio, TV, or newspapers.

I know this... Because I paid bills, ate good food and bought new trucks via effective advertising(coroplast)... I tried them all... Coroplast won hands down for me. And it can for Ron PAul as well.

Remember less than 30% of the voting public even know who he is. We must do something NOW!

Truckinmike

IowaSupport
10-25-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm up for this, TM, I'm no web designer, but I can throw up signs with the best of um.

When this thing gets going, I'll be one of the first to sign up (ha, bad puns.)

McDermit
10-25-2007, 08:37 PM
for this, I do think a pledge will be more effective than a Meetup overnight. With meetup events, too many pass the buck thinking that others will pick up the slack. This is something every person can go out and do all by him/herself. And we can have an idea as to how many signs are going up... Minimum of 10 per person will be a ton of signs.

TruckinMike
10-25-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't know the date... We could make it November fifth.. that gives enough time for folks to get their signs ready... and it would add to the Ron Paul buzz about the lump sum of cash as well ... It would be a Ron Paul media blitz!

Or is another day better... spread the events out for even more news coverage???

Whats do y'all think?

Truckinmike

PS- I have to get up at 4:30am. So this is my last post tonight. I reply tomorrow. Goodnight:)

OptionsTrader
10-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Paint the town Ron, far too sporadic and local.

PaintTheCountryRon.com

available domain...

inibo
10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I think I'm liking this. Keep this thread alive while the plan comes together.

ladyliberty
10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Florida only has 6 more days until we plan to blanket the entire state in Ron Paul signage - why 6 more days? Because that is when it is legal - the 90 days before the primary rule application. City Officials have been yanking our signs because it breaks this 90 day rule - so in 6 more days it will be 90 days until the primary - so that is our opportunity to blanket the entire state from every telephone pole, chain link fence, billboard, etc. in the state. Folks are at home even now painting their hand made signs and banners, stocking up on the store bought signs, getting the donations for the billboards, etc., and counting down the days until we can throw them up legally. We want more signs than any other candidate! We will become the Ron Paul State just like we became the "Plywood State" back during hurricanes Charlie, Francis, Jean, Ivan, and Wilma!

I suggest that other states follow suit - counting down the days until the 90 days before primary day and then put them signs up!!!

jb4ronpaul
10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
We are already planning to do this Nov. in Columbus. I have 200 yard signs. They are going to be placed at all the major exit and entrance ramps of the highways. The way we do it is people sign up and then are assigned a geographic area. We already did some rials and found these to be the best locations.

terlinguatx
10-25-2007, 08:55 PM

c0unterph0bia
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Very good idea.

Brian Bailey
10-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I love Ron Paul supporters.

ValidusCustodiae
10-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Outer Banks of North Carolina had 40 signs up by labor day.

See, we get a lot of tourists down here... and that was a BIG weekend.

All of them driving home had to pass a bunch of Ron Paul signs. Over and over on long empty stretches of road.

We have 250 thousand people come down here every week in the summer.

Do they get noticed?

I'd say about 60% of the people I talk to about Ron Paul locally say something to the effect of "oh yeah, I saw the signs". Then ace of base shows up and starts singing.

Just kidding. But all seriousness aside, this is a great idea and I'm not surprised it came from fellow sign-monger Truckin' Mike! Well, I know I want to participate in this thang whatever you guys decide on. Nov 5th sounds great to me, no reason not to make a big day even bigger!

I'd say lets make Jay Leno signs but they'd become useless after the 30th. Better to have permanent ones that will stay.

Primbs
10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Sign bombs are good. Back in 93 in the Los Angeles race for mayor the winning Richard Riordan campaign put up 36,000 yard signs and a few thousand four by eights.

Direct mail was also used and a grassroots operation.

McDermit
10-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Right before Thanksgiving. Huge travel holiday... more eyes on the road.

work2win
10-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Right before Thanksgiving. Huge travel holiday... more eyes on the road.

We might have something here. The Sunday after thanksgiving is by far the busiest travel day of the entire year. Saturday night after thanksgiving might be a winner. We get the busiest Sunday of the year, along with the Monday commute before the sign haters get to work. What about people being out of town and not able to participate?

I also think we need to separate this from the 5th effort, so we don't overlap news coverage, and also to allow supporter "recharge."

work2win
10-25-2007, 10:01 PM
It would be really cool if Lord Xar or somebody ran with that "Champion of the Constitution" sign that Truckin mike whipped out in photoshop. It was real good looking and scored major points in the "different" category.

jonahtrainer
10-25-2007, 10:06 PM
What about people being out of town and not able to participate?

I also think we need to separate this from the 5th effort, so we don't overlap news coverage, and also to allow supporter "recharge."

Irrelevant. I just flew across the country and packed 15 Ron Paul signs into my suitcase so TSA got an eyeful.

Bandit signs (corroblast) are extremely cheap, have a huge ROI and are extremely effective. This could be one of the best strategies for the local Meetups to do. Sign bombing will have a much higher voter return on investment than radio or television in my opinion. Also, the AD dollars don't go to the slimy media. Everyone ought to buy bandit signs with their money bomb donations.

We are going to blanket Florida here pretty soon. Then if we get any flack from any Cities we are going to have some Blowback and give them 10x as many signs. Of course, only on people's private property in accordance with local constitutional ordinances. :cool:

Ron Paul will no longer be ignored.

Ozwest
10-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Any web page designers out there who can get this set up so people can sign up and show their committment to this project?

katao
10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
This is an awesome idea. The key is the pledge website. I love the idea of custom mass produced chloroplast signs. We need time to get the signs (and get tons of pledges), so the Thanksgiving timeframe is PERFECT.

wfd40
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
This idea kicks ass. Period.

Google Ron Paul
Restore the Constitution, Vote Ron Paul
etc.

My only question.. how does one determine the viability of a potential sign posting area?

work2win
10-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I really like TruckinMike's work:

http://i22.tinypic.com/302x6dk.jpg

ronpaulhawaii
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Another good idea. Pledgebank is easy to use

and BTW Truckin Mike, I forgot to mention on my blog that I saw a rig with an RP sign today, while going uphill in the midday sun. I knew it wasn't you cause your sign is much bigger and I think you are in NE, but it really gave me a boost. Wish I coulda got a pic but he was haulin @$$

work2win
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Another idea:

This would be a GREAT opportunity to cement an image of Ron Paul in the public's mind. Should we pick ONE theme for this, like "Champion of the Constitution" ? If we choose a phrase, it's bound to stick after this day.

Ridiculous
10-25-2007, 10:33 PM
At the risk of being flamed or whatever...

Do we have to use terms like "Money Bomb" or "Sign Bomb"?

We are trying to get someone elected to president, not run some subversive counter culture uprising.

We are trying to sell Ron Paul, so words, imagery etc that have negative connotations like "bomb" should be avoided. We are trying to have Ron Paul appeal to everyone and that kind of terminology screams fringe candidate.

Primbs
10-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Many people follow what the neighbors do. If we have yards signs at peoples houses every other block, that creates a psychological reinforcement for undecided voters.

If my neighbor likes Ron Paul, then Ron Paul must be a good guy.

I will vote for Ron Paul because most of my neighbors support Ron Paul.

NewEnd
10-25-2007, 10:38 PM
I'd say about 60% of the people I talk to about Ron Paul locally say something to the effect of "oh yeah, I saw the signs". Then ace of base shows up and starts singing.

obscure 90's refence FTW!!

ronpaulhawaii
10-25-2007, 10:40 PM
At the risk of being flamed or whatever...

Do we have to use terms like "Money Bomb" or "Sign Bomb"?

We are trying to get someone elected to president, not run some subversive counter culture uprising.

We are trying to sell Ron Paul, so words, imagery etc that have negative connotations like "bomb" should be avoided. We are trying to have Ron Paul appeal to everyone and that kind of terminology screams fringe candidate.

I am niether here nor there with the term. Is "stocking the warchest" better ;)

m

Eric21ND
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Anyone agree on a date to do this? I'm sure we could do this again at a later date as well. Like maybe do one on the 5th of Nov and again Thanks Giving weekend.

McDermit
10-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Another idea:

This would be a GREAT opportunity to cement an image of Ron Paul in the public's mind. Should we pick ONE theme for this, like "Champion of the Constitution" ? If we choose a phrase, it's bound to stick after this day.

I think this is a great idea. In order to really show that this is a nationwide effort, the message on all signs should be the same. Homemade signs and coroplast should all use the same wordage for this particular blitz. (I prefer blitz or blast to bomb.)

When we do the paint the towns, the wordage is different in every group... some groups using more than 6 different phrases on their signs. We need some uniformity for this one. I'd say that Champion of the Constitution is pretty solid. Rp uses it himself, has used it in radio and on tv... it's his "title," and he definitely approves of it. I like it.

And I say Thanksgiving is the time to shoot for. It would be good to have the signs up for Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday, I think. And if we do permanent signs (ie: hanging from trees or high on poles as opposed to mainly overpass banners,) they SHOULD still be up on Sunday.

A ton of people travel on Thanksgiving day. A lot stay home, but a lot also go to a family member's home for dinner. And every soccer mom and her great Aunt Peggy are out shopping (thus driving or otherwise communiting) on Black Friday. Then Saturday and Sunday families are out en masse as well. The entire Thurs-Sun period is prime.

Getting people out on a Tuesday or Wednesday might be hard... but may be worth it?

McDermit
10-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Anyone agree on a date to do this? I'm sure we could do this again at a later date as well. Like maybe do one on the 5th of Nov and again Thanks Giving weekend.

The 5th doesn't give enough time. If we're doing a coroplast blast, (yo, the "Coroplast Blast!") people need time to come up with the money and then order and have signs shipped.

Ridiculous
10-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I am niether here nor there with the term. Is "stocking the warchest" better ;)

m

It is all perception. The term warchest is so commonly used by campaigns that no one really associates anything bad with it. It has been used for years.

But when you start making up your own terms like "money bomb" and "sign bomb" that aren't commonly used, the terms make supporters seem subversive, counter-culture, potentially violent etc. Not saying that is the case but words are powerful.

Would Ron Paul use term's like that? I can't say for sure, but probably not. I can't picture Ron saying to a newscaster, "I really hope we get another money bomb today".... or "I was really pleased when the local meetup bombed that town with signs" It just doesn't sound good. It might sound kind of cool to young people but that is about it.

It isn't about being PC, it is about marketing and the power of words.

work2win
10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't like "bomb" either. As suggested above, "blitz" works for donations and signs. If anyone else has any other ideas for a replacement term please speak up.

"Coroplast Blast!" does have a ring to it though!

jonahtrainer
10-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I think this is a great idea. In order to really show that this is a nationwide effort, the message on all signs should be the same. Homemade signs and coroplast should all use the same wordage for this particular blitz. (I prefer blitz or blast to bomb.)

When we do the paint the towns, the wordage is different in every group... some groups using more than 6 different phrases on their signs. We need some uniformity for this one. I'd say that Champion of the Constitution is pretty solid. Rp uses it himself, has used it in radio and on tv... it's his "title," and he definitely approves of it. I like it.

And I say Thanksgiving is the time to shoot for. It would be good to have the signs up for Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday, I think. And if we do permanent signs (ie: hanging from trees or high on poles as opposed to mainly overpass banners,) they SHOULD still be up on Sunday.

A ton of people travel on Thanksgiving day. A lot stay home, but a lot also go to a family member's home for dinner. And every soccer mom and her great Aunt Peggy are out shopping (thus driving or otherwise communiting) on Black Friday. Then Saturday and Sunday families are out en masse as well. The entire Thurs-Sun period is prime.

Getting people out on a Tuesday or Wednesday might be hard... but may be worth it?

I think the signs from the campaign should be used. This would also count for donation amounts. Two birds with one stone.

Of course, follow their disclaimer: "Campaign materials should never be placed on private property without the permission of the property owner and, because certain state and local laws limit the placement of campaign materials on public property, please research local restrictions before placing campaign materials on public property or rights-of-way."

Any signs posted in violation of the disclaimer should be denied by actual Ron Paul supporters and attributed to ill-meaning Ghoulani supporters.

work2win
10-25-2007, 11:19 PM

I think Saturday night would work best. Easier to get people out, and it is right before the biggest travel day, so there is less chance of the signs being taken down/falling down. The monday commute is also just a day away, so better chances here as well. In addition, people are on their way home so their minds will probably be a little more open to thinking about something other how they dread the in-laws. They just might hit the computer when they get home.

McDermit
10-25-2007, 11:53 PM
I think the signs from the campaign should be used. This would also count for donation amounts. Two birds with one stone.

Of course, follow their disclaimer: "Campaign materials should never be placed on private property without the permission of the property owner and, because certain state and local laws limit the placement of campaign materials on public property, please research local restrictions before placing campaign materials on public property or rights-of-way."

Any signs posted in violation of the disclaimer should be denied by actual Ron Paul supporters and attributed to ill-meaning Ghoulani supporters.

Nah. If people have official signs and want to use them, fine.. but the "Hope For America" signs, as TM pointed out, are pretty useless. They don't relay any message what-so-ever. After seeing them, people don't even know that RP is running for prez. The blue ones are better, but still aren't great.

Plus the campaign has requested that we don't use official signs/logos/urls for anything that is "questionably" posted. And the entire point here is to post signs in "questionable" areas...

McDermit
10-25-2007, 11:54 PM
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3002/champor0.jpg

Maybe someone with graphic skills can come up with a design.

TVMH
10-26-2007, 12:54 AM
It is all perception. The term warchest is so commonly used by campaigns that no one really associates anything bad with it. It has been used for years.

But when you start making up your own terms like "money bomb" and "sign bomb" that aren't commonly used, the terms make supporters seem subversive, counter-culture, potentially violent etc. Not saying that is the case but words are powerful.

Would Ron Paul use term's like that? I can't say for sure, but probably not. I can't picture Ron saying to a newscaster, "I really hope we get another money bomb today".... or "I was really pleased when the local meetup bombed that town with signs" It just doesn't sound good. It might sound kind of cool to young people but that is about it.

I agree.

centure7
10-26-2007, 02:53 AM
*Deleted*

work2win
10-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Bump.

I don't like the official hope for america signs either, plus they are more expensive, which means less signs on blitz day.

It would be really powerfull to promote ONE unified message on this day.

RobS
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
PaintTheCountryRon.com has been registered.... by me : )

Once all the DNS stuff goes through, I'll work on getting a basic site up.

inibo
10-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Way to step up!

RobS
10-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Alright, I have a super cool "This is a test" html page up now. I am afraid I won't be able to accomplish much tonight, as I have to get up early to help run a booth for RP at a gun show tomorrow.

However, we need to get some dates down! When do we want this to happen? What is the official slogan we want to use? Could anyone come up with a image file so that people could create stencils to make the signs?

work2win
10-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Okay, we have an event name and have the domain name registered! We now have a few things to hash out for Paint The Country Ron.

1. DATE: Thanksgiving weekend has been suggested. I am in favor of Sat night after for reasons previously stated. Someone else suggested Wed night before. I think Nov 5th is just too soon to get this organized in time. Any other suggestions are welcome...this could be done any weekend really.

2. GOALS: Maybe 10 regular sized signs and 1 large sign per pledge? We want to keep it reasonable enough so it doesn't scare people off, but we want to have some motivation here. As TruckinMike stated, we want to make a lasting impression so we should be emphasizing permanent signs (not banners) and targeting the busiest highways and major roads. That large sign would go great on the areas's busest highway!

3. THEME: Signs should say "Ron Paul" along with "President '08" at the minimum. There also seems to be interest in keeping a unified theme. This part will introduce some difficulty as we'll need to get someone to start making new themed signs and/or signs with the theme only to use as an add-on. Of course, people can also make their own templates. Theme suggestions:
Champion of the Constitution
Restore the Republic
Restore the Constitution
Reinstate the Constitution
Take our country back

4. WEBSITE:
-hot on-site promo video
-description of the goals and theme
-pledge bank similar to what the 5th site is using
-disclaimer: don't post any signs illegally....LOL

jgmaynard
10-27-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm with the Weds night before - TG is the most heavily traveled day of the year - we will NOT get a day with more traffic on the road than TG.

As for the unified message, I see the appeal but I believe we need to go with different signs for three reasons:

1) The political: Different themes are going to work better in different areas. In NH, "End the War - End the Income Tax" would likely hit very well, whereas in other areas, it may be the pro-life issue or something else that will work better.

2) The logistical: Most of us have signs already or have access to a certain type or design. Having us all get the same ones (or even same themes) will require thousands of people to get/make new signs.

3) The Financial: Money not being spent on signs for #2 above can then be spent on donating to the 10/30 Moneybomb, the 11/5 event, the 11/11 event, the.... You get the point. :)

Just my thoughts!

JM

Razmear
10-27-2007, 01:27 AM
I don't like "bomb" either.

I'm kinda amused by the word bomb being used in these threads, because I'm sure the folks at the NSA have to now read these forums due to all the talk about bombs, and maybe we'll get a few converts :D
And just in case they weren't reading before:
radiation dirty bomb
I'm sure they are now. :D
So NSA worker drones, be sure to google Ron Paul and pitch in on the next money bomb.

eb

McDermit
10-27-2007, 01:38 AM
:rolleyes:

Anyway, I like the idea of a unified message. It will give RP a title that will stick if we do it right. Champion of the Constitution is unique. It's memorable. It's repeated by Rp on tv/radio, do it will be reinforced. It can be the one thing everyone thinks of when you say Ron Paul's name.

We can do coroplast signs at the same price as HQ. And we can make a few stencils with the same phrase and a similar layout.

And as previously stated, I like the Wed before Thanksgiving. The goal is to place permanent signs, so most will stay up. Better to have them on Thanksgiving and Black Friday than not.

libertarian4321
10-27-2007, 01:57 AM
I agree that the "official" Hope for America signs are pretty lame- I've seen much better signs all over the place bought from local shops.

Even a simple sign that says "Ron Paul for President 2008" and just gives the web site is better than the "Hope for America" sign.

work2win
10-27-2007, 02:42 AM
The more I think about sticking to a theme the more I think it will be too difficult to pull off. We should probably specify "Ron Paul - President '08" and then suggest "champion of the constitution" for extra credit.

The big difference between this and the 5th drive is that this requires bona fide physical effort and dedication for the sign placements. Ordering/making signs takes more effort so we need to keep it simple in order to get the most people involved.

I would really like to see one of those RP Champion of the Constitution signs produced commercially, whether or not we use them for this project.

ConstitutionGal
10-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Having helped run a couple of campaigns here locally I can tell you that most local sign shops have a 'minimum' order (usually around 100) before the colorplast signs become cost effective ($3 - $4 each). These can, of course, be ordered on-line but then shipping gets pretty expensive and turn-around time might begin to be a factor. Also, two color signs are quite a bit more expensive than one color signs.

Another point to ponder is what color(s) to use. Most ALL campaign signs are red/white and/or blue. We have found that sign of a totally different color get noticed a LOT more, especially in a sea of r/w/b ones once local ordinances begin allowing campaign signs on public property.

Doing the sign blast the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving is going to exlude a lot of us older folks who will have large numbers of family coming over that we must prepare for. Also, depending on local ordinance, the Thanksgiving weekend may well be before local laws allow the posting of campaign signs....

I'm in for the overall idea..we just need to hash out the details.

guntherg16
10-27-2007, 06:08 AM
http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/41015b59c78efe3b43b210f4901c91bf.png

http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/store/signs/vertical-pole-signs/400-count-ron-paul-2008-vertical-pole-signs.html

$166.00 for 400 signs, including shipping.

inibo
10-27-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't have a pick for the date yet, but I think "Champion of the Constitution" is great. While I think "Reinstate/Restore the Constitution/Republic" resonates well with those of us who already know, most people aren't really aware of how far we've strayed. The think we are under the Constitution now. Fine, let them think that, but let them know there is a guy who is already on their side.

Ron Paul
Champion of the Constitution
President '08

work2win
10-27-2007, 11:15 AM
bump

parke
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
for this, I do think a pledge will be more effective than a Meetup overnight. With meetup events, too many pass the buck thinking that others will pick up the slack. This is something every person can go out and do all by him/herself. And we can have an idea as to how many signs are going up... Minimum of 10 per person will be a ton of signs.

What if we combined it with Black Friday?? EVERYBODY will be doing holiday driving. If we combine it with wearing RP tshirts while we shop on Friday.. Imagine that. Signs everywhere, then seeing RP supporters everywhere on the busiest shopping day of the year!

We could do it right before Thanksgiving. It would give us the entire weekend. No city officials are going to be working that week, so the signs would stay!:eek::eek::eek:

katao
10-27-2007, 11:55 AM
What if we combined it with Black Friday?? EVERYBODY will be doing holiday driving. If we combine it with wearing RP tshirts while we shop on Friday.. Imagine that. Signs everywhere, then seeing RP supporters everywhere on the busiest shopping day of the year!

We could do it right before Thanksgiving. It would give us the entire weekend. No city officials are going to be working that week, so the signs would stay!:eek::eek::eek:

Great idea to combine it with wearing RP tshirts on Black Friday! For those with family on Wed. night, use it as an excuse to recruit their help (and talk about Ron Paul)!

TruckinMike
10-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Why go with the generic? -- "Champion of the Constitution"

1. Pro-life is divisive

2. Abolish the IRS can sound to radical and maybe even silly to some

3. there are many examples... you get the idea.

Besides Ron Paul's message cannot be relayed in a sound bite, but an overall good feeling can be. What voter doesn't want a president that thinks in terms of the Constitution? All voters for the most part wants that. Therefore, "Champion of the Constitution" is a subtle message in agreement with the marketee. Not only does it say that RP thinks about it, but he is the Champion of it. --- Note:the word "Champion" elicits favorable impressions as well. So we are hitting two emotional targets with one stone in a positive way. Pat pat... good boy!

On new signs...

I think to get the most turnout we are going to have to let folks make/buy their own signs... With guidelines. It takes a sizable cash outlay to produce signs in hope of selling them to sign blast(Bomb) participants. I think we should focus on showing them where they can buy signs... even if they are not perfect.

We should probably specify "Ron Paul - President '08" and then suggest "champion of the constitution" for extra credit.

I agree.

And

Note: its best not to have official signs. as discussed earlier.

like this one $59 for 100 http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/41015b59c78efe3b43b210f4901c91bf.png

and this one $185 for 100
18"x24"
http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/2a9ca0de9accaa6f839a2612a6b2d4ff.png

note: this organization may produce a RP sign for the event, with the Champion of the Constitution on it... I will contact them.--- 1.85 per sign cannot be beat.

And The DATE...

before Thanksgiving, agreed.

We could do it right before Thanksgiving. It would give us the entire weekend. No city officials are going to be working that week, so the signs would stay!

.... placed high in trees/poles/etc.

Saturday/Sunday the 24th/25th???

Purchasing in bulk can be done at the Meetup group level. Our job is to relay this message to the meetup/facebook groups, get youtube videos out and utilize the pledge website for the great sign Explosion!!!(not PC...but I like it all the same:D)

thats my 2 cent$

TruckinMike

McDermit
10-27-2007, 01:05 PM
We may be able to find a company who will work with us on the signs. The ronpaulbumperstickers.com people get theirs from a place called Heritage Signs. They ship direct to buyers (in no less than lots of 25), saving the shipping costs. And the signs are at a bulk rate because they are all the same design.

If we could work out a deal like that with them or another company, with a promise to buy at minimum... say... 5000 signs? We could get the lower rate and save on shipping.

TruckinMike
10-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I just sent an email to grasrootsHQ to see if they could help us with this. And handle the printing, sales, and distributing.

I will call them monday

Truckinmike

Roxi
10-28-2007, 12:17 AM
bump

work2win
10-28-2007, 12:57 AM
http://i20.tinypic.com/znq8ue.jpg

http://i22.tinypic.com/302x6dk.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3002/champor0.jpg

UtahApocalypse
10-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Great Idea!

I vote for Wed. Before TG, this will target the most people on the roads all weekend. Also most DOT's are not going to be running around taking signs down during the holiday weekend. Being before TG also gives a excuse to turn it into a family event :)

As to sign types, I think a preferred sign would be ok. But not a requirement. Some people already have signs, or have signs that are specific to their areas.

UtahApocalypse
10-28-2007, 09:03 AM
bump for the morning crowd

inibo
10-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I decided to look up the local sign ordinance for my city (Rockville, Maryland) and I came upon this:

INFORMATION ABOUT POLITICAL CAMPAIGN SIGNS
The purpose of the Sign Ordinance, Article 59-F of the Montgomery County Code, is to regulate the size, location, height, and construction of all signs placed for public view.

This fact sheet provides information about the size, placement and permits required for political campaign signs.

HOW ARE POLITICAL CAMPAIGN SIGNS REGULATED IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY?
A political campaign sign generally can be classified as either a temporary sign (to be located only on private property) or a limited duration sign (to be located either on private property or in the public right-of-way).

WHAT IS A TEMPORARY SIGN?
A temporary sign does not require a permit provided the sign is displayed for no more than 30 days. The date of installation must be written on the sign.
• A temporary sign must be displayed only on private property with the permission of the property owner.
• The size, height and location of the sign is determined by the general zoning category in which the sign is placed (i.e., residential, commercial/industrial, agricultural).

Temporary Sign in a Residential Zone
• The number of signs is not limited, however the total sign area must not exceed 10 square feet. (Example: 3’ x 3’ sign = 9 square feet)
• A temporary sign must not exceed 5 feet in height (measured from ground to top edge of the sign) for a freestanding or wall sign.
• A temporary sign must be set back at least 5 feet from the property line.
• No illumination is allowed.

Temporary Sign in a Commercial Zone
• The number of signs is not limited, however the total sign area must not exceed 100 square feet.
• The maximum sign area of each sign must not exceed 50 square feet.
• The sign must not exceed 26 feet in height for a freestanding or wall sign. A freestanding or wall sign. A freestanding sign must not exceed the height of the tallest building on the property.
• The sign must be set back at least ¼ of the distance required for the building restriction setback. Generally, the setback for a sign in a commercial zone is a minimum 2 ½ feet from the property line.
• No illumination is allowed.

CAN A SIGN BE DISPLAYED ON PRIVATE PROPERTY FOR MORE THAN 30 DAYS?
Yes, but it will be classified as a limited duration sign. The size, height, and location standards are the same as those for a temporary sign.

IS A PERMIT REQUIRED TO PLACE A SIGN IN THE PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY?
Yes, each sign to be placed in the public right-of-way requires a limited duration sign permit. A maximum of four signs are allowed per candidate. Note: State law does not allow signs in the state right-of-way. A state road is identified by a number (Example: Route 355).

WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A LIMITED DURATION SIGN IN THE PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY?
• The sign must be displayed only on weekends or for 14 consecutive days.
• The sign area for each sign must not exceed 5 square feet. (Example: 2 ½ ' x 2' sign = 5 square feet)
• The sign must not exceed 30 inches in height and must be affixed to the ground (holding or waving a sign is not allowed).
• The sign must be placed at least 100 feet from any intersection, and 50 feet from any driveway.
• The sign must be set back at least 2 feet from a curb or if no curb exists, then at least 6 feet from edge of the roadway.
• No signs are allowed in a highway median.

WHERE CAN I OBTAIN A LIMITED DURATION SIGN PERMIT?
Sign permits are issued by the Department of Permitting Services, 255 Rockville Pike, Second Floor, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 240-777-6240.

WHAT IS THE FEE FOR A LIMITED DURATION SIGN PERMIT?
The cost of a limited duration sign permit is $31.90 which includes a fee of $29.00 and a 10% automation Enhancement Fee of $2.90.

WHAT IS A LIMITED DURATON SIGN INSTALLER?
A business or person who installs limited duration signs for others. A limited duration sign installer will be trained by the Department of Permitting Services and must pass an examination. A training class normally lasts about 4 hours and is held upon request. The cost of a limited duration sign installer license is $214.50 which includes a fee of $195.00 and a 10% automation fee of #19.50. Once licensed, the installer can direct others in the installation of limited duration signs in accordance with the sign regulations, but the installer is responsible for any signs installed under his license. There is no charge for a limited duration sign permit erected by a licensed sign installer.

HOW DO I REGISTER FOR THE TRAINING CLASS OR OBTAIN MORE INFORMATION ABOUT TEMPORARY OR LIMITED DURATION SIGNS?
Call the Department of Permitting Services at 240-777-6240.

WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES FOR NOT COMPLYING WITH THE SIGN REGULATIONS?
Non-compliance can result in the issuance of a $500 civil citation for each sign in violation and removal of illegal signs in the public right-of-way. A political candidate and the sign installer can be held jointly responsible for compliance with the sign regulations. Sign regulations will be strictly enforced.

ARE THERE SIGNS, WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED AND CANNOT BE ERECTED OR RETAINED?
Yes, they include the following:
• Signs in the public right-of-way unless placed in accordance with limited duration sign requirements.
• Signs which move in the wind including banners, pennants, balloons, etc.
• Signs attached to utility poles, traffic signs, traffic signal devices, and trees in the public right-of-way.
• Roof signs.

DO I HAVE TO REMOVE MY SIGNS?
Yes, candidates must remove their signs from polling sites immediately upon closure of the sites. Political campaign signs at all other locations must be removed in compliance with the sign regulations.

Revised July 2006 3

Based on this it looks like I'm going to have a hard time being legal. It even appears my recent solo sign waving efforts on Rockville Pike may have been illegal. Anyone care to help me interpret this to keep my butt out of jail while still contributing to this effort?

TruckinMike
10-28-2007, 01:21 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2251/1794650556_22f475d652_o.jpg
Put your Truckin'mike goggles on!!! You'll see all kinds of ways to put signs up legally.:) Just read between the lines and don't worry about it. Do not use signs with web addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, club affiliations, or any other contact information other than the Name Ron PAUL. Got It? Oh yeah... make sure the sign has a disclaimer -- this sign is NOT authorized by the Ron Paul campaign.

If we are going to win this "WAR" (soft war), then rules, I mean the infringements of our 1st Amendment Rights, will have to be bent just a little....In our favor!

Sam Adams didn't have such trifles to concern himself with and neither should you.

So keep up the good work and keep your ambition's high... and remember that every man that faced the British on April 19th 1775 on "Battle Road" from Lexington and Concord, and all the way back to Boston were marked men! Men that if caught would have been sent to swing high from the gallows for a their treasonous acts against the King. And on that note --- The least we can do is post some coroplast signs in order to SAVE this COUNTRY! ---- Even if we have to stretch the law a bit.

Either we fight the war to win or we Don't.

TruckinMike

lx43
10-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Amen brother Mike. I have put 5 signs in SC on major highways that are seen by lots of people each day. I have ordered 10 more.

TruckinMike
10-28-2007, 03:33 PM
You have added at least $50 a day in free advertising for the campaign. Without question. Good Job!

Note: when placing small signs along the highway. Place them against guardrails, traffic signs, or in the median next to bushes. The idea is to keep them out of the way of the mower.

Note2: Hang them HIGH in trees out of reach from passerbyers and govt. employees. No nails necessary. Just use rope and brass grommets. It works great.

Note3: or Post them out of the city limits, less govt. employees, less of chance they will be taken down. Place them on roads from suburbia going into and back out of the city.

TruckinMike

UtahApocalypse
10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Bump.... this is still good stuff that we need to get working on, who had the domain set? lets get this together.

McDermit
10-29-2007, 04:04 PM
*bump again* has the dude with the domain gotten anywhere with this?

jgmaynard
10-29-2007, 04:09 PM
My god man............ Why DO you live in a state with laws about political signs on private property? EVERY SINGLE LAW about that was ruled unconstiutional by the NH Supreme Court and stricken from the books. :D
Sorry... Just another reason to push the FSP! :)
Back to the sign bomb thread...

JM

freedominnumbers
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I've been thinking about how to make highway signs less prone to removal. I think the answer may be round base magnets these are magnets designed to have a bolt or hook attached. You could use 2 to 4 of them and a long pole to attach banners to the steel framework of overpasses where only a bucket truck will be able to take them down. 8lb strength ones can be had for about 50 cents at allmagnetics.com

TruckinMike
10-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Genius!!! I love it!

I knew 50,000 heads were better than one!

IDEA: hang the signs with small rope from the magnets, it will relieve stresses caused by the wind. I think a Little R&D is in order. And after perfected, we can mass produce the results.:D:D:D

Good thinking.

TruckinMike

lx43
10-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Mike,

I feel it is my duty to inform you that Capt Parker has been very upset with you lately. He feels that with his hard work placing signs all over the country he deserves a chance to meet and be photographed next to his hero and future 2 term President Ron Paul.

Don't you think this would be a HUGE motivation for all his sacrifice? lol

inibo
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
My god man............ Why DO you live in a state with laws about political signs on private property? EVERY SINGLE LAW about that was ruled unconstiutional by the NH Supreme Court and stricken from the books. :D
Sorry... Just another reason to push the FSP! :)
Back to the sign bomb thread...

JM

I live here because this is where I landed (I have family nearby) after my life in California disintegrated. I have a decent paying job doing work I can usually tolerate and mostly enjoy.

Somebody made a mention of New Hampshire in this thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=29395

After the general election, if I had a lead on a job or a rich woman who needed a househusband I would gladly consider moving up there. I visited NH about 35 years ago and found it to be the second most beautiful state I'd ever seen (after West Virginia).

TruckinMike
10-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes... I agree. The Cap'n has sure been putting in his time. Heck most people would still be home in bed...in recovery from that vicious Rattlesnake attack. But not the Cap'n, no sir, he was up and at'em in a week.:D

And yes, I know he would love his picture with the next President! However he may charge for others that would like a photo... I'll have to get with his agent.:p

TruckinMike

TruckinMike
10-29-2007, 07:22 PM
These would work great... For banners its a snap, for coroplast you might need a hook or something. but What a great idea.

http://www.allmagnetics.com/device/roundbase.htm

http://www.allmagnetics.com/images/device/rbcups.gif

freedominnumbers
10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
These would work great... For banners its a snap, for coroplast you might need a hook or something. but What a great idea.

By my calculation a 3x9 banner made out of used billboard is about 3 pounds. I think these magnets should hold em no problem and given that bridge inspections are done quite infrequently most places they will likely never come down.

freedominnumbers
11-04-2007, 08:11 AM
I picked up a 12LB and 20LB combo 2 pack from home depot.

These things are definitely as advertised. When I put the 20LB on my fridge I have to pry it off with a strong bar. It broke a metal pen in half pulling it off.

I think these things are a go. Just take the base put a small bolt/screw with washers through it and the signs and they'll stay up on the metal frame of an overpass until someone with a bucket truck comes to take them down. There is no way a local sheriff or Giuliani fan could get it down if placed out of reach with a long pole.

piotr1
11-04-2007, 08:23 AM
someone please make a website so i can sign up for whatever were doing! 8)

TruckinMike
11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Calling all web dudes and dudettes Can you help with a pledge website. my skills are lacking in this area... I'm lucky if can get in and check my email.:D

If we do not get a website up --- we'll just post here what the plans are...

Plans: Put up at least ten permanant signs in your area.

When: A few days before and during the Thanksgiving holidays.

If you would please pass this info along to your respective meetup groups it would be much appreciated.

I would hate for us to drop the ball on this one.. The roads during the Thanksgiving Holidays have an enormous amount of traffic... We MUST take full advantage of the advertising opportunity... else suffer the loss of not benefiting this once in campaign opportunity.

If only 25% of the members of the meetup groups place 10 permanent signs -- thats 150,000 new permanent signs all across this country.

Note: the "5th" money bomb has over 16,000 pledges for 100 bucks, if those same folks will post 10 signs, this will be reality.

Please pass this opportunity on....

When opportunity knocks, answer the freakin' door!

Truckinmike

What does Permanent mean? High in trees, high on telephone poles, OUT of Reach of the Government and/or Paul bashers. Oh yeah, made with weather proof materials meant to last for months without decay

ronpaulhawaii
11-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Calling all web dudes and dudettes Can you help with a pledge website. my skills are lacking in this area... I'm lucky if can get in and check my email.:D

If we do not get a website up --- we'll just post here what the plans are...

If you would please pass this info along to your respective meetup groups it would be much appreciated.

I would hate for us to drop the ball on this one.. The roads during the Thanksgiving Holidays have an enormous amount of traffic... We MUST take full advantage of the advertising opportunity... else suffer the loss of not benefiting this once in campaign opportunity.

If only 25% of the members of the meetup groups place 10 permanent signs -- thats 150,000 new permanent signs all across this country.

Note: the "5th" money bomb has over 16,000 pledges for 100 bucks, if those same folks will post 10 signs, this will be reality.

Please pass this opportunity on....

When opportunity knocks, answer the freakin' door!

Truckinmike

What does Permanent mean? High in trees, high on telephone poles, OUT of Reach of the Government and/or Paul bashers. Oh yeah, made with weather proof materials meant to last for months without decay

TruckinMike,

Today I get to see The Thing, in Benson about to climb... have sign ready :D. Please post if someone steps up to help with the pledgebank (or PM). I am only planning to get to Willcox today and may have some time later to build one for you. Hopefully someone with more time on their hands picks up this ball, as I am quite... busy. And if you check the daily pic thread in the RPRiders sub-forum you will see a permanent sign we put up yesterday. I' think you will be pleased...

m

work2win
11-04-2007, 11:35 AM

I like it. I think the wider time window is a good thing since putting up signs requires some time and this will let people fit it into their holiday schedule.

I would just like to add what we have previously discussed: the message is "Ron Paul - President '08."

I think it is important that we take it to the next level and make the message of this event professional and presidential. Sharp looking, permanent signs that say "Ron Paul - President '08"

TruckinMike
11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
HELP!!
We still need a website for sign post pledging. If anybody has the skills and time.. We sure could use the help... I don't have time to learn on the road, otherwise I would do it myself. But I am learning..I just have a ways to go. Thanks.:D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok back to business....
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1357613106_142df3f50d_m.jpg
The sign BOMB must be a reality!

Plans: Put up at least ten professional looking permanent signs in your area.

Similar to this ---- http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/category/7cf645671a122867f5f61d4f51131994.png

As stated in the previous posts, traffic on the Thanksgiving holidays is incredible. Lets not lose this opportunity to spread the word.

TruckinMike

One more thing.... Please pass this opportunity on!!! Lets make the Sign Bomb a real Explosion!

Revolution9
11-05-2007, 09:51 AM

You are one petulant whiner. You do not seem to have a clue but just go on and on and on and................

And make not one bloody bit of difference with ALL the negativity and worrywart shutdown gambits you author.,

Randy

TruckinMike
11-05-2007, 04:21 PM
BumP!!!

hopeforamerica
11-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm only good at making videos. If someone makes a website, I'll make a promotional video!

TruckinMike
11-06-2007, 07:28 AM
HELP!!
We still need a website for sign post pledging. If anybody has the skills and time.. We sure could use the help... I don't have time to learn on the road, otherwise I would do it myself. But I am learning..I just have a ways to go. Thanks.:D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok back to business....
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1357613106_142df3f50d_m.jpg
The sign BOMB must be a reality!

Similar to this ---- http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/category/7cf645671a122867f5f61d4f51131994.png

As stated in the previous posts, traffic on the Thanksgiving holidays is incredible. Lets not lose this opportunity to spread the word.

TruckinMike

One more thing.... Please pass this opportunity on!!! Lets make the Sign Bomb a real Explosion!

work2win
11-08-2007, 01:12 AM

TruckinMike

Bump!

Above we have the consensus of many pages of planning, lets make this happen. We need a website and we need people to start promoting it!

work2win
11-08-2007, 09:24 PM
bump

conner_condor
11-08-2007, 09:36 PM
R-Paul-quaeda groups have been planting hundreds of signs on the side of the road for all to see.. ..On the 5th, R-Paul-quaeda set off a money bomb and you could smell in the air as the MSM reporters of about 50 sh@# their pants.. Reports of more money bombs are quite possible in the future.. MSM have taken extra precaution to wear Depend,Adult diapers and have a clean pair of pants on hand...:D:D:D

Electrostatic
11-08-2007, 09:59 PM
PLEASE order the signs from HQ on Nov. 11th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will help out the people who want to have a donations bump on the 11th, give them time to get the signs printed, insure the maximum volume discount possible, and they are only $2.50 a when bought in bulk including the H stake. See here for details: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=34325

GayRPFan
11-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I'd like to offer an idea, that hit me just a few days ago. I saw a local surveyor laying these small red orange flags on a thin wire that he stuck directly into the ground. These are definitely not permanent but are a great segue to bigger signs, I can easily see hundreds of these flags on entire streets on both sides especially when everyone driving to their local precinct to vote.
"RP '08"http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/St8/RP08.jpg

I know these are small but I think they compliment and enhance the bigger signs as they lead your eye, after awhile people will recognize the RP means Ron Paul. Plus, I remember, a oval bumper sticker with only W '04 was a pretty common sight back then. So am thinking this is an extension of that minimalist idea.

work2win
11-08-2007, 11:52 PM
I'd like to offer an idea, that hit me just a few days ago. I saw a local surveyor laying these small red orange flags on a thin wire that he stuck directly into the ground. These are definitely not permanent but are a great segue to bigger signs, I can easily see hundreds of these flags on entire streets on both sides especially when everyone driving to their local precinct to vote.
"RP '08"http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/St8/RP08.jpg

I know these are small but I think they compliment and enhance the bigger signs as they lead your eye, after awhile people will recognize the RP means Ron Paul. Plus, I remember, a oval bumper sticker with only W '04 was a pretty common sight back then. So am thinking this is an extension of that minimalist idea.

This is an interesting idea, and I like the logo. One thing to remember, though, is that the "W" stickers came out in '04, after he had already been president for 4 years and had excellent name recognition. We probably aren't there just yet, but I can see this working sometime in the not so distant future if things keep going our way with publicity. Ron Paul definitely has the name for this kind of logo, and if used as a lead-in attention getter to a full size sign, it shouldn't matter if people don't get the logo (they'll see the sign).

Our goal with this project is to really push his name recognition as well as presidential image which is why the emphasis is on Ron Paul - President 2008. With this in mind, any sign for Ron Paul is still better than no sign for Ron Paul!

orenbus
11-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Me and my buddy can whip something up, what date will this be? We need one date to make it effective

thedjnikki
11-09-2007, 09:01 AM
This guy has a sign bomb myspace

set up for December 1st and 2nd. Get people all ready for the tea party.

www.myspace.com/ronpaulsignwaving

I made a video for his date.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cvDS-kBhU_g

TruckinMike
11-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm glad to see some folks catchin' on with the sign bomb idea.:)

However I will continue suggesting making the signs permanent instead of temporary --- sign waving is fun, but posting signs is permanent and much more effective in the long run.

Note: The Thanksgiving holidays should be our first big day... 3-4 times the normal traffic on highways!!! We should not lose the opportunity.

Truckinmike

orenbus
11-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm glad to see some folks catchin' on with the sign bomb idea.:)

However I will continue suggesting making the signs permanent instead of temporary --- sign waving is fun, but posting signs is permanent and much more effective in the long run.

Note: The Thanksgiving holidays should be our first big day... 3-4 times the normal traffic on highways!!! We should not lose the opportunity.

Truckinmike

Hey Mike, totally agree okay we're setting it for Wed 21st to cover Thanksgiving and Black Friday and the weekend, should be ready in the next hour or two.

ronpaulhawaii
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I agree with the Thanksgiving weekend date for the reasons above. The permanence issue is not that easy but should be attempted by all means,

and TM, your co-workers seem to have been passing the word about my presence and I am getting many, many positive blasts of the air-horns. It is great know that my signs are readable from both sides of the freeway and their acknowledgement is very empowering.

orenbus
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Here's is the work in progress so far, still working on details as we go

http://www.TheSignBomb.com/

Mike can you write or someone write up a description about the event so we can insert in?

Thanks

orenbus
11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
bump need help with copy

TruckinMike
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Mike can you write or someone write up a description about the event so we can insert in?

Yes... But is the intended purpose of the site getting pledges for posting signs or disseminating information to RP supporters or both?

TM

I'll be back on tonight after 7pm

orenbus
11-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes... But is the intended purpose of the site getting pledges for posting signs or disseminating information to RP supporters or both?

TM

I'll be back on tonight after 7pm

it can be whatever you want it to be :D

just from reading the thread sounds like it would be pledges for posting signs

work2win
11-09-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't think pledges are as important to this event as they are to the money drives, but they wouldn't hurt. I think the main purpose for the site is to disseminate information about the event. People can put the site link in their signatures and when people click on it, they get a brief run-down on what the event is all about.

I'll take a quick stab at some site text:

Ron Paul Thanksgiving Sign Bomb!

The goal: Get out there and post 10 (or many more!) Ron Paul signs before and during the Thanksgiving holiday.

The signs: Post professional looking, weather-proof signs that include "Ron Paul" and "President '08" to help skyrocket Ron Paul's name recognition and help give his campaign that "Presidential" image boost!

The where: along major roadways and in high visibility areas, out of reach of Ron Paul haters as much as possible.

The legal: please post legally. :D

Electrostatic
11-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Order Your Signs from HQ on Nov. 11th!!!!!!!

http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/Categories?category=Signs

orenbus
11-10-2007, 02:40 AM
I don't think pledges are as important to this event as they are to the money drives, but they wouldn't hurt. I think the main purpose for the site is to disseminate information about the event. People can put the site link in their signatures and when people click on it, they get a brief run-down on what the event is all about.

I'll take a quick stab at some site text:

Ron Paul Thanksgiving Sign Bomb!

The goal: Get out there and post 10 (or many more!) Ron Paul signs before and during the Thanksgiving holiday.

The signs: Post professional looking, weather-proof signs that include "Ron Paul" and "President '08" to help skyrocket Ron Paul's name recognition and help give his campaign that "Presidential" image boost!

The where: along major roadways and in high visibility areas, out of reach of Ron Paul haters as much as possible.

The legal: please post legally. :D

cool thanks work2win, should have something ready in a couple hours :D

orenbus
11-10-2007, 06:19 AM
http://www.thesignbomb.com/

still have to plug in all the other pieces although a basic form and counter is up:

Ron LOL
11-10-2007, 07:05 AM
I've been thinking a lot about signs tonight, and I have what I feel is a very important point to make for the upcoming sign bomb.

Summary: all signs proclaiming an action Ron Paul will undertake as president, such as "end the war" or "end the IRS," should be include a sentence specifically to dispel any incredulity the reader might feel. By doing this, we take away the reader's opportunity to be skeptical by implying that we, the mysterious authors of this sign, know something the reader doesn't. And we do! His name is Ron Paul :).

In more detail...

Anybody who ever had to write an essay in school (that is, everyone) knows that a standard technique in presenting an argument is to also present and address likely rebuttals. The reasons for doing this are obvious -- you strengthen your position by acknowledging what a skeptical reader is likely to think and telling them why they're wrong.

We've all heard the saying about life, death and taxes. For so many Americans, taxes (and other things to which we RP supporters object) are an immutable fact of life -- something you just have to accept. The notion that the federal income tax could somehow go away is understandably completely ridiculous to the average American.

To convince average Americans that we actually can get rid of the income tax, we need to put some oomph behind our message; we need to get them to question very deeply seeded and long held beliefs. Doing this is as simple as changing this sign:

"Let's eliminate the federal income tax. ronpaul2008.com"

to this sign:

"Let's eliminate the federal income tax. Yes, it's actually possible. ronpaul2008.com"

The power behind the one added sentence is amazing. The reader of the first sign rolls his eyes. The reader of the second sign raises an eyebrow.

A similar example would be:

"Want to bring our brave troops home for real? Find out how at ronpaul2008.com"

This casts doubt on the ability of others who claim to want to end the war. It also feeds off of any frustration people might have with those folks...

The end result here is that the sign bomb presents Ron Paul (or at least ronpaul2008.com) as the only man (place) with solutions.

Of course, we also open ourselves up to some sign trolling. :D

"Enjoy lunch on the moon! We'll take you there! ronpaul2008.com"

TruckinMike
11-10-2007, 08:02 AM
I don't know if there is room for this, but I think the message is pertinent and needs to be stated some how, some where...

Sacrifice. What is it?

To help understand the true meaning, lets put sacrifice in context with the Declaration of Independence and the men that pledged their lives.

"For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor".

What kind of sacrifices did these men make for you?

Some of the signers were captured by the British as traitors, tortured, and then hung. Twelve had their homes ransacked, burned, and possessions looted. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army,another had two sons captured. And nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

So I ask you... What have you pledged? What are you willing to sacrifice in the name of freedom? I'm asking you today; will you make a pledge for freedom? Will you sacrifice a bit of your time? Will you give to our country what our founders gave to you?

If the you hold the same spirit and passions as the men before you, will you make a pledge in honor of our founders by pledging to post at least 10 signs for freedom, ten signs for Ron Paul?

Be apart of history, Pledge today.

<Pledge link>

Just some thoughts...

TruckinMike

ps - I won't be offended if you don't like it...critique away!

Ron LOL
11-10-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't know if there is room for this, but I think the message is pertinent and needs to be stated some how, some where...

Just some thoughts...

TruckinMike

ps - I won't be offended if you don't like it...critique away!

I was going to say it sounds overly dramatic for campaign material, but if it's just meant to guilt, er, persuade folks who are already supporters in to placing some signs, then I think it's in the right spirit.

TruckinMike
11-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I was just reading about the D of I and came across their pledge... and i thought it would go along with our sign pledge.

And yes.... motivation was the goal. i've being having a hard time getting people fired up about posting signs. it seems that its not as sexy as waving bannners on a street corner.:D

Anyway... any source of motivation is good, but if it doesn't fit the website... my feelings aren't hurt.

just a little brain storming activity

TM

work2win
11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I think you can remove the smiley after the legal part...it was just for this thread. We wouldn't want to give the media the impression that we were advocating illegal sign posting.

I am confused by the Dec 21st thing. What is that all about??

Other than that, I think it looks great! I would like to get some more proof-reader eyeballs on it, though. My english is far from perfect and I just whipped that out. I'm sure there's a hyphen or something out of place.

work2win
11-11-2007, 11:49 AM
I've been thinking a lot about signs tonight, and I have what I feel is a very important point to make for the upcoming sign bomb.

Summary: all signs proclaiming an action Ron Paul will undertake as president, such as "end the war" or "end the IRS," should be include a sentence specifically to dispel any incredulity the reader might feel. By doing this, we take away the reader's opportunity to be skeptical by implying that we, the mysterious authors of this sign, know something the reader doesn't. And we do! His name is Ron Paul :).

This is a great point. The challenge is balancing text length and visibility with quantity of information. Most signs are along roadways and people won't be right next to them or have much time to read them as they drive by.

I will definitely see if I can come up with a way to include this in my strategy. People generally don't trust anything politicians promise these days, and this would help combat that.

TruckinMike
11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
The sign bomb website is not accepting .info email addresses.

TM

AFTFNJ
11-11-2007, 08:25 PM
it does now. We need to get this info out to Meetups ASAP.

parke
11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
How about right before Thanksgiving? Encourage supporters to wear RP gear on Black Friday. It would be a double whammy.

Primbs
11-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Everybody will be at the mall. Great idea. Put bumper stickers on your jackets as well.

coboman
11-12-2007, 02:16 AM
bump.

Wonderful idea. Please create a new thread with the link to the pledge and ask for a sticky.

This is the kind of event that would keep the media interested until the tea party.

Primbs
11-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Congressman Robert Dornan had a sign bomb and got lots of media coverage.

He plastered a tunnel underneath the LAX airport with his signs. No piece of the wall was showing. A half mile of just pure signs from top to bottom.

He did it right before the election.

Some authorities did get annoyed, but they took down the signs quickly after that.

dc74rp
11-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I think the sign bomb is a great idea. I'm signed up. I like to suggest that once it's accomplished, we start planning another one for Dec. 15th.

December 15th will be the 216th anniversary of the adoption of the Bill of Rights.

If it was pulled off right, I'd say the effect of the Tea Party would be hugely magnifiied in the media. It would demonstrate a large number of people and a high level of organization in support of Ron Paul. It would show that we aren't just people donating thier money on the internet, but also giving thier time and effort because we believe Ron Paul can be the man to change our country.

Let's do it!

TruckinMike
11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Dec. 15th -- Already in the works... the website isn't finished at the moment.

but it is functioning http://www.thesignbomb.com

TM

BrazilLuLa
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks in advance.

TruckinMike
11-13-2007, 11:07 PM
The best deal on coroplast is at http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/store/ron-paul-signs/18-inch-x-24-inch-yard-signs-without-wire-stands.html for group buys. 100 signs for $1.85 each --- 18x24 w/out stands

However you can buy from the RP campaign site as well... though a bit more expensive; but it is for a worthy cause.:D

Truckinmike

work2win
11-14-2007, 12:29 AM
The best deal on coroplast is at http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/store/ron-paul-signs/18-inch-x-24-inch-yard-signs-without-wire-stands.html for group buys. 100 signs for $1.85 each --- 18x24 w/out stands

However you can buy from the RP campaign site as well... though a bit more expensive; but it is for a worthy cause.:D

Truckinmike

Truckinmike is right. That's the cheapest place, and in my opinion, those are the best looking/most effective signs. I prefer to donate money straight to the campaign and buy signs for cost from the site above. I think I can do more for the cause this way, and the campaign doesn't have to use their own time and money to mess around with sign orders.

dirknb@hotmail.com
11-14-2007, 06:19 AM
I totally agree with this one Mike. I've been nailing yard signs high up on telephone poles with a ladder for several months now. Some of the ones that I put up back in July are still up. If people use a ladder to put them up, so that whoever wants to take it down must use a ladder, it will stay up much longer.

jb4ronpaul
11-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Truckinmike

These signs are cheaper, larger and more noticeable than the official campaign signs. They stand out well. However order well in advance as some people have had orders delays with them.

TruckinMike
11-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for removing the RP wobble head... :D and the date on the site still reads 12/21.

What would be good Sign Bomb Dates?

---Thanksgiving Holidays 11/21 - 11/25

---Bill of Rights commemoration 12/15

---Washington crosses the Delaware 12/26 and captures the hessians at Trenton.

---New years?

---Primary bombs -- a few days before each primary?

---???

I'm tired... i thonk I should go to bed...

TruckinMike

dc74rp
11-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Ahhhh,

www.thesignbomb.com right now says:

"Pledge for the December 21st Sign Bomb....."

We're working on the pre- and during- Thanksgiving sign bomb for now, right?

Great site though.

Edit: I just cought this was already brought up....... Sorry.

TruckinMike
11-15-2007, 01:26 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2196/1987257279_35f6ad60e4_m.jpgYES.. Thanksgiving is what the pledge counter is for. After the holidays we'll switch to Dec. 15th.

I might have been a little over zealous last night with my -- future Sign bomb dates:D

I shouldn't post when I'm sleepy.

TM

And yes the site needs to be corrected.

TruckinMike
11-16-2007, 09:01 PM
If anyone that would like to help with the sign bomb website please post here. I need someone with the expertise to make changes to the website. The original parties that created the site have been nowwhere to be seen. Thus I need a replacement or I will have to stop promoting the website/event.:( -- as it is... it has the wrong date for the pledge.

Help.

TruckinMike

Tenbatsu
11-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Bump

freedominnumbers
11-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Just an update on magnets.

It seems that two magnets of lesser strength on either side of the sign (left and right) can hold the sign in high winds (30-40MPH gust). Center mounting the signs failed even with the 20# strength magnet. I attribute that to leverage.

If you intend to use a small sign two 8# magnets will hold it.
If you are going to use bigger signs you may want one in each corner. There is only about 1/4" clearance between the sign and the mounting surface when tightened right up to the magnets preventing excessive wind. If center mounted the wind can bow the sign out using the sign as a lever to pry off the magnet.

TruckinMike
11-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Good Info!! Thanks for the R&D!!

TruckinMike

TruckinMike
11-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I've sent a message to Trevor relinquishing the SIGN BOMB web site. So Orenbus, I would appreciate it if you would cooperate in allowing the website to be utilized to its fullest extent.
Thanks Mike

And a message to all...

the Thanksgiving sign bomb event is of course still on.. I'll continue promoting the event from this thread.

Sorry for the inconvenience or confusion.

Truckinmike

VoteRonPaul2008
11-17-2007, 11:43 AM
sure.. thanksgiving day? or when is it? are all the meetup groups informed about it?

TruckinMike
11-17-2007, 11:58 AM
The Traffic to Grandma's is unbelievable. 3-4 times the normal traffic, and at least 3-4 times as many people on the highways. But Being hard to pin down a good "day" --- anytime during the Holidays is fine. 11/21-11/25.

are all the meetup groups informed about it?

NO... please inform as many as possible.

The goal is to permanently post signs... Sign waving fests are fun but not as efficient as the permanent posted signs. So put'em up high! Use a ladder... or use the magnet mount concept on bridges and overpasses. --- use an extension pole to reach the overpass beam.

Just an update on magnets.

It seems that two magnets of lesser strength on either side of the sign (left and right) can hold the sign in high winds (30-40MPH gust). Center mounting the signs failed even with the 20# strength magnet. I attribute that to leverage.

If you intend to use a small sign two 8# magnets will hold it.
If you are going to use bigger signs you may want one in each corner. There is only about 1/4" clearance between the sign and the mounting surface when tightened right up to the magnets preventing excessive wind. If center mounted the wind can bow the sign out using the sign as a lever to pry off the magnet.

TruckinMike

Tarzan
11-19-2007, 03:22 AM
If anyone that would like to help with the sign bomb website please post here.

I will help with the website (even host it if you like). I have some misgivings about the project though. I think it needs to be kept legal (where signs are posted) otherwise the story will be about illegal sign postings by RP supports. I think we need to provide instructions for sign creation or find a willing sign printer to make them available cheap. And, the timing may be an issue as we need to allow time for everyone to get or create their sign.

I could also do some "recommended" artwork for the project.

Anyway, PM me if you are interested.

orenbus
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Guys, sorry for the delay on the site. Ran into some problems on this end that tied me up the last few days, have made the date change for 12/15. The rest of the site should be finished today/tommorow. Please start spreading the word.

Thanks

southeastva
11-20-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm painting southeast va Ron tonight in preparation for the Thanksgiving holidays: I-64 and possibly I-664.

I noticed some signs in Norfolk a week ago that were getting cut down on an overpass over I-64 by VDOT. This just motivates me to post a few extras in memory of them.

Benaiah
12-05-2007, 02:56 AM
//

newmedia4ron
12-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Remember the Sign Bomb! December 15th, in celebration of the signing of the Bill of Rights!!!

newmedia4ron
12-15-2007, 12:18 AM
December 15th

firebirdnation
12-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Bump, I haven't seen truckingmike online in a while, hope he is doing good.

dirknb@hotmail.com
12-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Bump, I haven't seen truckingmike online in a while, hope he is doing good.

He is at home with the flu at the moment and hasn't been online.