PDA

View Full Version : (When) A Bank Holiday Is Called

S.Shorland
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a belief that this will happen for my own reasons.(I'm expecting a stockmarket crash to very near zero which will cause it to be instituted,or be the excuse).Any good literature about when it happened before?Any thoughts/suggestions on the best course of action to prepare.I'm in England but any thoughts would still be helpful.Any thoughts about private vaults? I don't have faith in bank safety deposits.Because they are inside the bank.

Seraphim
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I have a belief that this will happen for my own reasons.(I'm expecting a stockmarket crash to very near zero which will cause it to be instituted,or be the excuse).Any good literature about when it happened before?Any thoughts/suggestions on the best course of action to prepare.I'm in England but any thoughts would still be helpful.Any thoughts about private vaults? I don't have faith in bank safety deposits.Because they are inside the bank.

FWIW your intuition is bang on. Banks are legally allowed to give other depositors legal tender bullion stored in your SDB if there is a run on the bank and they can't pay all their depositors. When the banks get back up and running you would be re-imbursed for the legal tender value of your metals.

ninepointfive
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
gotta keep fiat in the bank to a minimum. buy preservable food, guns ammo, and metals

Kelly.
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM
buy a small home safe and store stuff in that.
bolt it to the floor so it cant be carried away.

keep only enough money in you bank account to pay bills that are due before your next check.

TheNcredibleEgg
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM

The stock markets around the world will not crash - in nominal terms - because they are priced in fiat dollars (and pounds.) Any hint of a sell-off (20% or more) and the central bankers will just print more money. And that will result in the exact same thing that has happened in the past two years. Asset prices soar - nominally.

Now - in real terms - yes, they will continue to crash and stay down forever. But not nominally.