PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul files for re-election to the US Senate

RonPaulFanInGA
04-19-2011, 06:22 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/19/2174730/rand-paul-files-for-re-election.html

sailingaway
04-19-2011, 07:23 AM
I would say this is as clear a signal as they've given that Ron is running....

What other purpose would this serve but to cut off those questions?

I'm sorry they don't seem to be planning a Paul/Paul race though. I think that would be great, to essentially have two voices and let them be in two places at once. But Rand might want his own voice, on his own terms, and that's fair, of course.

Sola_Fide
04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Great!

Ron Paul 2012

Nathan Hale
04-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Rand just filed for a 2016 race? Odd.

eduardo89
04-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Rand just filed for a 2016 race? Odd.

Early bird catches the worm?

Johnnymac
04-19-2011, 07:38 AM
somthing tells me Ron is signing papers as we speak :D

sailingaway
04-19-2011, 07:41 AM
early bird catches the worm?

lol!

BamaFanNKy
04-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Dumb move. No one knows if this Mayan Calendar thing is a hoax or not. Talk about the 'Sword of Damocles' over Senator Paul's head on this decision.

ninepointfive
04-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Run Ron Paul!

sailingaway
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Dumb move. No one knows if this Mayan Calendar thing is a hoax or not. Talk about the 'Sword of Damocles' over Senator Paul's head on this decision.

Yeah, I could see where that would be the first thing to spring into your mind on hearing this...... Watch out for the Sword of Damocles, Rand!!

Matt Collins
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Everything will be fine...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Goofing%20off/collins.jpg

S.Shorland
04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't understand what this means.A senator's term is six years and so he could have filed anytime up until the last day of the six year term? So it must be a statement that he is happy where he is? Therefore Ron is running.There must be another possibility that I don't understand.

R3volutionJedi
04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't understand what this means.A senator's term is six years and so he could have filed anytime up until the last day of the six year term? So it must be a statement that he is happy where he is? Therefore Ron is running.There must be another possibility that I don't understand.

Yeah...I thought that too.

This is great news though.

Ron Paul is running for President of the United States of America...Now I can be part of a campaign that means something. Now I can work with people who have an amazing common goal. Now I can cast my first vote for Liberty. Godspeed.

sailingaway
04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Now he can take in money for reelection. If he decides not to run he can pour it into a pres account, but I think only if he decides not to run for Senate. At least I remember Ron couldn't put money from his pres account into his congress account when he suddenly got a challenger in the primary for Congress. He couldn't use the pres account money until he closed that account, and he was still running for Pres. Makes sense, since he is doing so many high profile things that he would want a way to accept donations. The public is fickle and there may not be much money to spare in 2016 if the economy continues downwards.

Aratus
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Rand just sent us all a rEVOLUTIOn signal to a 99.9 percentile?

TheTyke
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Wait, but doesn't that mean he can't run for president in 2016 under current law? Seems a really odd move to make... usually you see how things turn out first? :o

Thargok
04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
No, it means he cannot be on the ballot in KY as both. The KY primary doesn't matter, so non-issue and in the general he could win a write-in campaign if the law isn't changed. Although since KY allows you to run under aliases I wonder if Rand Pual can run for Senate while Rand Paul runs for President.

jct74
04-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Here's New York Daily News on his filing for re-election. Gotta love the last 6 paragraphs of the article. Apparently the only thing notable about Senator Paul is that he made some controversial comments while running for senate.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2011/04/19/2011-04-19_republican_senator_rand_paul_declares_he_will_r un_for_reelection_in_2016_just_mo.html?r=news

eduardo89
04-20-2011, 06:40 AM
No, it means he cannot be on the ballot in KY as both. The KY primary doesn't matter, so non-issue and in the general he could win a write-in campaign if the law isn't changed. Although since KY allows you to run under aliases I wonder if Rand Pual can run for Senate while Rand Paul runs for President.

But how will Rand Pual be sworn in?! There's no birth certificate with the name Rand Pual! :p

K466
04-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't really understand why he did this, but I guess there's nothing wrong with it. The real question is, do other senators do this as well? Or has Rand filed at a record early time?

Johnnymac
04-20-2011, 09:43 AM
yea that just snapped into my head today idk why i didnt think of it but maybe he is being a secret squirrel

TheDriver
04-20-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't really understand why he did this, but I guess there's nothing wrong with it. The real question is, do other senators do this as well? Or has Rand filed at a record early time?

I'll take a wild guess on why: Filing the paperwork allows for fundraising, which allows Sen. Paul to start filling his campaign coffers (not just a PAC), which once filled--sends a powerful message to the establishment and anyone thinking of challenging him in a primary.

sailingaway
04-20-2011, 09:59 AM
I'll take a wild guess on why: Filing the paperwork allows for fundraising, which allows Sen. Paul to start filling his campaign coffers (not just a PAC), which once filled--sends a powerful message to the establishment and anyone thinking of challenging him in a primary.

Which is good. Bunning would have won, imho, but McConnell shut off the funding funnel. Rand might need more than one year of grassroots donations to stay independent, and his independence is what we want.

BamaFanNKy
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/2/money.gif

You can start collecting campaign contributions ONLY after you file.

K466
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Ok, good enough. Go Rand!

I'm still curious about this:
"The real question is, do other senators do this as well? Or has Rand filed at a record early time?"