PDA

View Full Version : Petition to Redistribute GPA Scores

Bman
04-19-2011, 01:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOyaJ2UI7Ss

Don't know who did this, but Pretty good idea.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2011, 01:55 AM
LOL, reminded me of this:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?281675-We-have-a-human-right-to-rep!

Kregisen
04-19-2011, 02:40 AM
It's a 100% perfect analogy....it's exactly the same. Of course everyone's answer is "no that's different, this is GPA" but can't explain how it's different.

Chester Copperpot
04-19-2011, 02:53 AM
"its different"

yeah because its somebody taking something from them right now.

lol

would have loved to see an interview with kids getting very low GPAs.. I bet they would have been all in favor of the petition drive./

noxagol
04-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Reminds me of a story I heard about a professor that gave everyone the same grade, which was the average of all the grades that people actually got on tests and whatever. Everyone ended up doing nothing and everyone failing IIRC.

Nastynate
04-19-2011, 03:22 AM
He should of told them that he had a bunch of low GPA students sign it so he really didn't need their signatures, so their going to implement it anyway. Democracy at its finest. Taking from the minority giving it to the majority.

I would of also liked to see him make a point about GPA being a type of currency also. Because it is in a way.

Kregisen
04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
He should of told them that he had a bunch of low GPA students sign it so he really didn't need their signatures, so their going to implement it anyway. Democracy at its finest. Taking from the minority giving it to the majority.

I would of also liked to see him make a point about GPA being a type of currency also. Because it is in a way.

agreed on both

White Bear Lake
04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Great video!

Standing Like A Rock
04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Great concept.

QueenB4Liberty
04-19-2011, 07:46 PM

This

VBRonPaulFan
04-19-2011, 07:51 PM
awesome video, +rep

Endgame
04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I think this is a pretty clever way of getting people to think. Especially students with high GPA's.

The metaphor isn't perfect though. A lot of people get rich by cronyism, political lobbying, etc. Every industry and profession plays politics to destroy the competition, or at the very least keep the competition from destroying them. The fact is, this is a corrupt society. No one that's making any money at all is innocent in the game. From retail workers and their unions, all the way up to banking and defense industry CEO's.

Where's the metaphor for that as far as college grades are concerned? I graduated college with an extremely high GPA, and I didn't need to bribe professors to do it. Sure, I showed some interest as a student by asking good questions after lectures, but that wasn't what got the grades. I simply did my best on every assignment and exam in the time I had to prepare for them, and that just happened to be better than 99.9% of the student body. I didn't use the system to screw anyone else. I had a drive that a lot of people didn't, but I didn't pay off professors to give me better grades than everyone else.

Let's not pretend that corporations and professional organizations don't have ways of lobbying politicians to screw their competitors. Take the interior design cartel in Florida I've heard about, if you want a particularly absurd example. We don't have a free market system, and no one that's making money is on a level playing field.

AGRP
04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
The metaphor isn't perfect though. A lot of people get rich by cronyism, political lobbying, etc. Every industry and profession plays politics to destroy the competition, or at the very least keep the competition from destroying them. The fact is, this is a corrupt society.

Its perfect.

Crony capitalism couldnt exist without a willing and compliant government; the system that would enforce GPA redistribution.

JVParkour
04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Cheating and plagiarism? Those things could be considered illegal actions and cronyism...

goldencane
04-19-2011, 10:05 PM
I think this is a pretty clever way of getting people to think. Especially students with high GPA's.

The metaphor isn't perfect though. A lot of people get rich by cronyism, political lobbying, etc. Every industry and profession plays politics to destroy the competition, or at the very least keep the competition from destroying them. The fact is, this is a corrupt society. No one that's making any money at all is innocent in the game. From retail workers and their unions, all the way up to banking and defense industry CEO's.

Where's the metaphor for that as far as college grades are concerned? I graduated college with an extremely high GPA, and I didn't need to bribe professors to do it. Sure, I showed some interest as a student by asking good questions after lectures, but that wasn't what got the grades. I simply did my best on every assignment and exam in the time I had to prepare for them, and that just happened to be better than 99.9% of the student body. I didn't use the system to screw anyone else. I had a drive that a lot of people didn't, but I didn't pay off professors to give me better grades than everyone else.

Let's not pretend that corporations and professional organizations don't have ways of lobbying politicians to screw their competitors. Take the interior design cartel in Florida I've heard about, if you want a particularly absurd example. We don't have a free market system, and no one that's making money is on a level playing field.

What JVParkour said about cheating and plagiarism. Also while students might not explicitly bribe professors, many do brown nose. That does create bias on the professors part which influences grades.

I think the GPA thing is just about as close to an analogy as you can get. The only problem with it might be that there is a finite amount of wealth (maybe?), while theoretically everyone could have a 4.0 (unless the school uses a curve to grade, but most don't do that anymore).

Kregisen
04-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Most do curve, or if not in a semester, obviously by the following semester. If a class was given out 95% A's the dean of that department would definitely change things to make it harder in the future.

Not everyone can get a 4.0.

randolphfuller
04-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Why should SAT scores be exempt. Even Charlew Murray admits, like wealth, it is a matter of chance,