PDA

View Full Version : No Mistake: Under Obama, U.S. Builds a new Indefinite Detention System

Agorism
04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
No Mistake: Under Obama, U.S. Builds a new Indefinite Detention System

Link (http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2011/04/18/no-mistake-under-obama-u-s-builds-a-new-indefinite-detention-system/)

With the whole keeping-Guantanamo-around thing, it’s possible to cut President Barack Obama some slack. Sure, he explicitly promised to close Guantanamo when he was running for President back in 2008. But maybe his policy has been a big misunderstanding. It’s noisy in the West Wing; maybe his aides misheard “Stop Guantanamo Gropin’” as “Prop Guantanamo Open” and proceeded from there in the kind of kooky mutual-misunderstanding plot featured on American sitcoms all the time, except that Barack Obama doesn’t have a secret life as a teen pop idol and they usually don’t throw people behind bars forever without trial or constitutional process on Scrubs.

But it’s harder to understand how President Obama could have just stumbled inadvertently into the establishment of an entirely new series of secret jails in which people are being held indefinitely, incommunicado and without charges. I mean, heck, the military has their gulags set up so that the President personally approves the indefinite detention of some of these people. He can’t say he wasn’t aware of all this.

I know, it’s hard to accept that Barack Obama could be turning his back on his promises to the American people. I mean, I personally saw him lifting his chin to gaze over America’s horizon on the campaign trail three years ago. You could see the dawning rays of a new tomorrow reflected in his eyes. They were kind of a mix of orange and goldish. But how could Mr. Obama’s aides have misheard this one? There’s really not much that rhymes with “Open up a new indefinite detention system,” except “Open up that ewe’s intestinal digestive system,” and Barack Obama is not trained as a veterinarian.

Zippyjuan
04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
The recent budget deal includes a provision which bans Obama from closing Guantanamo Bay. The Republicans put it in there.
http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/09/rider-in-deal-bans-obama-from-closing-guantanamo-bay/

One big victory by Republicans in 11th hour negotiations to avert government shutdown was a policy rider banning President Obama from closing Guantanamo Bay, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid confirms.

The inclusion of the provision goes against a key campaign pledge of Obama’s and comes after Attorney General Eric Holder signaled the battle over the issue was lost several weeks ago.

Throughout Obama’s presidency, Attorney General Eric Holder has continued to promise the prison would close, but backed off earlier this month when he agreed to try the Sept. 11 terrorists in Guantanamo Bay, instead of New York City as he previously advocated for.

Holder has said what held up the closing of the terrorist prison was a slew of congressional restrictions. “We must face a simple truth: those restrictions are unlikely to be repealed in the immediate future,” he said, and that, “members of Congress have intervened and imposed restrictions blocking the Administration from bringing any Guantanamo detainees to trial in the United States.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/09/rider-in-deal-bans-obama-from-closing-guantanamo-bay/#ixzz1JzyocBgJ

Agorism
04-19-2011, 08:27 PM
bump

Dark_Horse_Rider
04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Lots of people that voted for him are easy to blame the republicans for blocking him from fulfilling all his promises, but he must of been aware of what the situation was, and how Washington works, while he was making them.

When seen in this light, it looks more like a pack of lies sold to the American public with a convenient excuse already on hand to gather sympathy and understanding for not being able to keep his promises.

Brett85
04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
The recent budget deal includes a provision which bans Obama from closing Guantanamo Bay. The Republicans put it in there.

Yeah. They voted to cut off funding for importing terrorists into the United States. That sure seems like the fiscally conservative thing to do to me.

Agorism
04-19-2011, 11:55 PM
If they don't have any evidence or they just have torture evidence they should release them.

Sola_Fide
04-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Ahhhhh....

Hope and change...

Pauls' Revere
04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Lots of people that voted for him are easy to blame the republicans for blocking him from fulfilling all his promises, but he must of been aware of what the situation was, and how Washington works, while he was making them.

When seen in this light, it looks more like a pack of lies sold to the American public with a convenient excuse already on hand to gather sympathy and understanding for not being able to keep his promises.

What I was thinking. So, he's unwilling to fight the repubs on this? So, he demonstrates he is weak and caves to the repubs? he couldnt rally support among his base to make this backfire on the GOP? I dont know what the latest numbers are for support of closing gitmo but I remember it was pretty high at one point. It seems to be a backburner news story now.

NYgs23
04-20-2011, 01:09 AM
A president who actually cared about freedom could offer this deal: either Congress allows the detainees to receive a civilian trial in New York or, if Congress insists on military tribunals at Guantanamo, the President will concede but will pardon the detainees if they're convicted on the grounds that they did not receive a fair trial.

That is what a freedom-loving president might do.

awake
04-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Can anybody say Gulag?