PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Governor Brewer vetoes birther, campus gun bills

RonPaulFanInGA
04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/041811_brewer_vetoes

eduardo89
04-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Guns at school
SB 1467 was vetoed "because it is so poorly written," Brewer said.

"Bills impacting our Second Amendment rights have to be crystal clear so that gun owners don't become lawbreakers by accident," she wrote in her veto message to Senate President Russell Pearce.

The bill didn't define the "public right of way" where weapons could be carried on school campuses, and included K-12 schools where firearms are prohibited by federal law, Brewer wrote.

While the bill was "widely advertised" as applying to colleges and universities, it expressly superceded a law that allows school districts to enforce prohibitions against weapons on school grounds, she wrote.

"While I support the thoughtful expansion of where firearms should be allowed, the actual legislation that does so must be both unambiguous and clear to protect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. Senate Bill 1467 is neither," Brewer wrote.

Brewer, given an A-Plus rating by the National Rifle Association, has previously signed several laws expanding where and when firearms can be carried. Last year, she approved a measure that allows anyone to carry a concealed weapon, without the background check and training that used to be required.

I wonder if she'll sign it into law if they change the bill a bit.

Joey Fuller
04-18-2011, 07:49 PM
if you feel like you need your firearm, then carry it. stop asking for permission for your natural rights.

Agorism
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
O sorry you beat me to it.

Carehn
04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
if you feel like you need your firearm, then carry it. stop asking for permission for your natural rights.

Yep. I don't need to carry but when i feel i do i don't ask. Do you really want to be on the list they will come for 1st?

RonPaulFanInGA
04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Did this birther bill get 2/3rds support in the Arizona House and Senate?

Knightskye
04-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Didn't that gun bill require guns to be locked in the glove compartment, or was that another state?

Pericles
04-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Brewer apparently never heard of United States v. Lopez.

ChickenHawk
04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Brewer apparently never heard of United States v. Lopez.

US vs Lopez doesn't matter because the law was changed and has so far been upheld in federal court. Until it is overturned federal law prohibits guns in schools even if the state allows it.