PDA

View Full Version : "No representation without taxation"

furface
04-18-2011, 03:26 PM
There was a group of government workers out rallying today in our town square. The Tea Parties had the place last Friday. I think they didn't realize that taxes were due on 4/18 instead of 4/15. The government group had all kinds of statist signs like "No representation without taxation."

I don't think they got too good of a response. They seemed to be huddling on a single street corner and cars passing by were hurling insults at them.

I've always suspected that government workers are the principle proponents of big government views in America, probably in most places in the world as well. I went up to the group and asked them all point blank if they were all government workers, hoping to strike up a conversation with them. Nobody answered, they all just looked away.

It kind of confirmed my suspicions. I bring up this point because most of the language that people use to describe political divisions seems to be inaccurate if you ask me. Terms like "liberal" and "conservative" don't convey what's really going on. "Government unions" verses the "private sector" is probably a better way of describing what's going on.

My belief is that most government slogans like "support the troops," "support the police," "more money for teachers," etc are voiced mainly by government unions and their families. I think it's important to point this out when conversations come up about sort of sacred cows of politics like military spending and funding government schools.