PDA

View Full Version : Undeclared candidate Mitch Daniels becoming the big man on campus

Lucille
04-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Via HotAir: Mitch Daniels, BMOC?

Undeclared candidate Mitch Daniels becoming the big man on campus (http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-14/politics/daniels.students_1_mitch-daniels-student-effort-indiana-gov?_s=PM:POLITICS)

Daniels told CNN that any potential presidential campaign would be an effort "to level with the American people, to talk about the mathematical facts of life" when it comes to the nation's debt.

"And just argue come on folks. Let's get on with it," he said.

At Yale, the student effort to draft Daniels is a sign that Republicans have a shot at chipping away at one of President Obama's core political strengths: the youth vote.
[...]
Daniels is not the only politician with a campus following. A "Students for Mitt Romney" Facebook campaign has also surfaced. [While RP's popularity on college campuses is ignored. -L]

Sorry, CNN but, no one is bigger on campuses than Ron. I know he'd be happy, since he's been scolding the GOP for not reaching out to the youth vote for a long time...but it still bugs.

eduardo89
04-17-2011, 02:55 PM
I thought Daniels ruled out running?

Lucille
04-17-2011, 03:04 PM

There's just one problem with the Students for Daniels movement: Daniels has yet to say publicly whether he is running.

"I owe them an answer," Daniels said in an interview with CNN. "I've been more affected and moved, you might say, by their activities than any of the others."

Daniels, who plans to make an announcement on his intentions after the end of the month, said the student effort just might inspire him to jump into the race.

"They've put the time and effort into appealing to me, and I feel yes, I have some reciprocal responsibility to them," he said.

"...he's just very down to earth, very direct. You don't see that from anybody else," Eden said.

Nobody but RP, ya mean.

Daniels has a mixed fiscal record. He was President George W. Bush's budget director when the deficit soared.

But in his current role as governor, he has kept Indiana's financial house in order. The Hoosier State is in much better shape than most of its Midwestern neighbors. Daniels has slashed the state's workforce, lowered property taxes and has begun a push for educational reforms that include merit pay for teachers.

BY all means, let's just forget all about his disastrous Bush years then.

sailingaway
04-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Daniels and Romney, the youth legends....

Must be the eloquence...."...just argue come on folks. Let's get on with it,...."

TheeJoeGlass
04-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Well lets see, he just passed 150 million dollar education bill. More people are on Hoosier Healthwise than on Romney care. He sold Indiana utilities and toll roads in very shady deals. Is implicated in a FBI probe on one of his biggest campaign donors. Was on the board of IPL when they pulled the Enron scam here in Indy, narrowly escaping. And he has called for a "truce" on social issues.

Yup, sounds like a solid conservative candidate from the establishment. Ron Paul would destroy my man mitch in a debate.

TheNcredibleEgg
04-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Yup, sounds like a solid conservative candidate from the establishment. Ron Paul would destroy my man mitch in a debate.

Let's not forget also he was GWB budget director:

Conservative columnist Ross Douthat has noted that Daniels "carried water, as director of the Office of Management and Budget, for some of the Bush administration’s more egregious budgets [and...] made dubious public arguments in support of his boss’s agenda."

And don't forget this doozy by Mitch:

In 2002, Daniels was involved in an attempt to discredit a report by Assistant to the President on Economic Policy Lawrence B. Lindsey estimating the cost of Operation Iraqi Freedom at between $100–$200 billion. Daniels called this estimate "very, very high" and stated that the costs would be between $50–$60
[quote]

TroySmith
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I think Mitch is running for VP more so to be honest.

Imperial
04-17-2011, 04:57 PM
There are three prominent youth arms to Republican primary candidates for President at the moment:

1) Mitch Daniels. Students for Mitch has been pretty active. They have an advantage in that Mitch is pretty moderate, and can be a bit of everything to everyone (except social conservatives).

2) Ron Paul. Obviously YAL has a big edge with its national organization in YAL with multiple centers of power (Students for Mitch, though fledgling national, is focused more in the Northeast).

3) Tim Pawlenty. By merit of entering the field first and having close connections with the College Republicans, he has built a fledgling national organization in "Students for TPaw". However, unlike YAL it has few boots on the ground yet; its advantage is its friendliness to the establishment.

DeadheadForPaul
04-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Daniels has a mixed fiscal record. He was President George W. Bush's budget director when the deficit soared.

Lulz...

sailingaway
04-17-2011, 06:17 PM
There are three prominent youth arms to Republican primary candidates for President at the moment:

1) Mitch Daniels. Students for Mitch has been pretty active. They have an advantage in that Mitch is pretty moderate, and can be a bit of everything to everyone (except social conservatives).

2) Ron Paul. Obviously YAL has a big edge with its national organization in YAL with multiple centers of power (Students for Mitch, though fledgling national, is focused more in the Northeast).

3) Tim Pawlenty. By merit of entering the field first and having close connections with the College Republicans, he has built a fledgling national organization in "Students for TPaw". However, unlike YAL it has few boots on the ground yet; its advantage is its friendliness to the establishment.

I'm thinking back to college and I don't think anything in the world could have gotten me to wear a shirt that said 'Students for TPAW' on it.....

Teaser Rate
04-17-2011, 07:38 PM
BY all means, let's just forget all about his disastrous Bush years then.

I would argue that his record as Governor where he had executive power is much more significant than his record as Budget Director where he was playing an intermediate role.

He's not perfect, but his fiscal record is solid and his budget-cutting rhetoric will have a positive influence on the campaign. I would say he's definitely one of the better Republicans candidates and I wouldn't hesitate to support him if he were to win the nomination.