PDA

View Full Version : LewRockwell.com: Atlas Shrugged Part I - Movie Review

FrankRep
04-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged Part I (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/85777.html)

J.H. Huebert | Lew Rockwell.com
April 17, 2011

I saw Atlas Shrugged Part I this evening, and I thought it was great. Not a great movie in the usual sense, but a great adaptation of Atlas Shrugged (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0452011876/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=libert0f-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0452011876), which is not a great novel in the usual sense.

Yes, it’s low-budget. Yes, the direction is pedestrian. Yes, the dialogue is often clunky. So people who want to whine can whine about those things.

But I see no point in dwelling on the negative. This movie is as true to the book as anyone could desire. The screenwriting isn’t perfect, but then neither is Ayn Rand’s novel-writing. The actors probably won’t collect Oscars for their work here, but they are mostly well cast, and the villains are especially well-cast.

In fact, I don’t think a better Atlas Shrugged movie could ever be made. You can wish the movie had a big budget and better talent, but if you got those things, you would almost certainly lose this movie’s faithfulness to the book’s story and ideas — and the ideas, after all, are the point. Besides, can you imagine an adaptation of Atlas Shrugged — no matter who wrote it, directed it, or starred in it — that wouldn’t have unnatural dialogue, unbelievable characters, and an implausible plot? There is no time period in which you could set this movie — with its train travel, its heroic industrialists who own their own companies, etc. — in which it could seem realistic. So you just have to do what you do with the novel or with any science fiction or fantasy: suspend disbelief and go with it.

I doubt this film will win any new converts to libertarianism or (thankfully) Objectivism; the story has to move forward so quickly that someone who isn’t already familiar with the book may be lost or bored. But it should delight fans of the book who go in with a positive attitude.

I look forward to seeing it again and to seeing Part II.

=========

Re: Atlas Shrugged Part I (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/85843.html)

Karen De Coster | LewRockwell.com
April 17, 2011

Huebert, I am in complete agreement with your take on Atlas Shrugged. Some of the dialogue was strangely inept, and the acting was a bit ailing in spots, but I am not so sure this was a negative, considering the characters and the ideas behind the book, as you point out. I loved the movie, I liked the way the original theme was presented overall, and I loved the ending when Dagny watched Ellis Wyatt’s oil fields burn, and the camera zoomed in on the sign he left behind. That sign, I thought, was the most explicit “libertarian” message in the movie. As you noted, I would not recommend the movie for anyone who has not read the book because it might not make a whole lot of sense.

doodle
04-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm wondering if JH Huebert is aware that profits from this movie sales could be going to a notorios neocon Ed Snider who funds war camoaigns? If he was aware, this little fact should have been mentioned in article for libertarian minded audience as fair disclosure so people can make educated choice.

TroySmith
04-17-2011, 02:08 PM
It was a really good movie and the dialogue was excellent. I brought a friend who had not read the book and her first comment after watching it was "I really want to read the book now". She is also very far to the left...so yeah.

FrankRep
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm wondering if JH Huebert is aware that profits from this movie sales could be going to a notorios neocon Ed Snider who funds war camoaigns? If he was aware, this little fact should have been mentioned in article for libertarian minded audience as fair disclosure so people can make educated choice.

By "neocon" you mean he's Pro-Israel. Right?

:rolleyes:

low preference guy
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM

LOL. No. He wouldn't care. You're the only one obsessed about it.

doodle
04-17-2011, 02:12 PM
By "neocon" you mean he's Pro-Israel. Right?

:rolleyes:

If follwing is being "pro Israel", yes.

LINK (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?287995-Man-funding-movie-quot-Atllas-Shrugged-quot-also-funded-Funding-The-Movement-To-Save-The-War&p=3211845&viewfull=1#post3211845)

Repost,

Is this really true that Ed Snider, Financier/Executive producer of the movie "Atlas Shrugged", also funded so called The Movement To Save The War and ARI he funded supports US attack on Iran?

The ARI's first board of directors included psychologist Edith Packer and businessman Ed Snider. Snider was also one of the founding donors for the organization.

The choice today is mass death in the United States or mass death in the terrorist nations. Our Commander-In-Chief must decide whether it is his duty to save Americans or the governments who conspire to kill them.

Though some at ARI initially supported the invasion of Iraq, it opposes how the Iraq War has been handled.[25] Since October 2, 2001, the institute has held that Iran should be the primary target in the war against "Islamic totalitarianism."[24]

ARI is generally supportive of Israel.[26] Of Zionism, executive director of the institute Yaron Brook writes: "Zionism fused a valid concern - self-preservation amid a storm of hostility - with a toxic premise - ethnically based collectivism and religion."[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand_Institute

Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Sarah Palin and Ed Snider's game misconduct

Not many Philadelphians even know about Ed Snider's politics, because most of the time we didn't have to. But he's quite far to the political right, a devoted acolyte of the late conservative icon Ayn Rand, funding an institute based on her principles and giving speeches about her. (A Philadelphia Magazine profile of Snider said he won't read anything in the Inquirer except for the sports sections because the paper's too liberal for him.) Fair enough, but in the last two years Snider has veered off. Even though his beloved Rand did not believe in pre-emptive war, Snider is now a major financial support of continuing our very wrongheaded pre-emptive war in Iraq and sending new storm clouds over its neighbor, Iran.

According to numerous news accounts, Snider is a leading donor to the group Freedom's Watch, which is spending millions (here's the repulsive part I mentioned up top) promoting its lethal policies in the Middle East and right-wing candidates like Sarah Palin and John McCain who support that agenda. Arising from a 2007 meeting of the Republican Jewish Coalition, one of Freedom Watch's first efforts (employing former Bush White House aide Ari Fleisher as its spokesman) was a $15 million ad campaign in support of the troop "surge" in Iraq that falsely conflated that war with 9/11. (Says a military veteran, over shots of the World Trade Center, "They attacked us, and they will again. They won’t stop in Iraq.") The group also once had ambitious plans to stir up American public sentiment against the regime in Iran, although that seems to have taken a back seat in recent months to so-far failed efforts to elect Republicans to Congress in special elections (perhaps because the Bush administration itself seems to be no longer angling for a showdown with Tehran).

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/This_Saturday_turn_your_back_on_the_pucker.html

THAT’S COMCASTIC!: Spectacor Sports Baron Ed Snider Is Funding The Movement To Save The War

http://www.phawker.com/2007/08/24/thats-comcastic-spectacor-baron-ed-snider-is-funding-the-movement-to-save-the-war/

doodle
04-17-2011, 02:17 PM
LOL. No. He wouldn't care. You're the only one obsessed about it.

How about you, do you care or not if profits from a movie go to someone who is known to fund campaigns for US to launch pre-emptive invasions of other countries that do not attack or pose threat to America?

What is your view on gropings at airports, Patriot Act, massive pre-emptive spending, resulting deficits and collapsing economy at home?

lester1/2jr
04-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Yes, it’s low-budget. Yes, the direction is pedestrian. Yes, the dialogue is often clunky. So people who want to whine can whine about those things.

people who want to see a piece of art can whine, people who want to see propaganda will love it!