PDA

View Full Version : Man funding movie "Atllas Shrugged" also funded Funding The Movement To Save The War ?

doodle
04-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Is this really true that Ed Snider, Financier/Executive producer of the movie "Atlas Shrugged", also funded so called The Movement To Save The War and ARI he funded supports US attack on Iran?

The ARI's first board of directors included psychologist Edith Packer and businessman Ed Snider. Snider was also one of the founding donors for the organization.

The choice today is mass death in the United States or mass death in the terrorist nations. Our Commander-In-Chief must decide whether it is his duty to save Americans or the governments who conspire to kill them.

Though some at ARI initially supported the invasion of Iraq, it opposes how the Iraq War has been handled.[25] Since October 2, 2001, the institute has held that Iran should be the primary target in the war against "Islamic totalitarianism."[24]

ARI is generally supportive of Israel.[26] Of Zionism, executive director of the institute Yaron Brook writes: "Zionism fused a valid concern - self-preservation amid a storm of hostility - with a toxic premise - ethnically based collectivism and religion."[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand_Institute

Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Sarah Palin and Ed Snider's game misconduct

Not many Philadelphians even know about Ed Snider's politics, because most of the time we didn't have to. But he's quite far to the political right, a devoted acolyte of the late conservative icon Ayn Rand, funding an institute based on her principles and giving speeches about her. (A Philadelphia Magazine profile of Snider said he won't read anything in the Inquirer except for the sports sections because the paper's too liberal for him.) Fair enough, but in the last two years Snider has veered off. Even though his beloved Rand did not believe in pre-emptive war, Snider is now a major financial support of continuing our very wrongheaded pre-emptive war in Iraq and sending new storm clouds over its neighbor, Iran.

According to numerous news accounts, Snider is a leading donor to the group Freedom's Watch, which is spending millions (here's the repulsive part I mentioned up top) promoting its lethal policies in the Middle East and right-wing candidates like Sarah Palin and John McCain who support that agenda. Arising from a 2007 meeting of the Republican Jewish Coalition, one of Freedom Watch's first efforts (employing former Bush White House aide Ari Fleisher as its spokesman) was a $15 million ad campaign in support of the troop "surge" in Iraq that falsely conflated that war with 9/11. (Says a military veteran, over shots of the World Trade Center, "They attacked us, and they will again. They won’t stop in Iraq.") The group also once had ambitious plans to stir up American public sentiment against the regime in Iran, although that seems to have taken a back seat in recent months to so-far failed efforts to elect Republicans to Congress in special elections (perhaps because the Bush administration itself seems to be no longer angling for a showdown with Tehran).

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/This_Saturday_turn_your_back_on_the_pucker.html

THAT’S COMCASTIC!: Spectacor Sports Baron Ed Snider Is Funding The Movement To Save The War

http://www.phawker.com/2007/08/24/thats-comcastic-spectacor-baron-ed-snider-is-funding-the-movement-to-save-the-war/

I had some questions and was first feeling little bad for movie's funder after some views posted here that movie was a flop, not anymore.

Book may have had few useful ideas, but I think I'm going to pass on the movie.

Update. Other discussion about ARI school of thought was also becoming a discussion about the movie, so I'm merging the two as they were becoming same.

Few pro wars, pro increased government powers sample ads that Ed Snider, founder donor of Ayn Rand Institute and executive producer of the movie "Atlas Shrugged" funded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_snjzFphg&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2rdL_WC4Zo&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJm5NFhO9wk&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbLuAFkTZJU&feature=channel_video_title

Indy Vidual
04-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Movement To Save The War!
The Movement To Save The War? Isn't that also a Twilight Zone episode ghost-written by George Orwell?

Ed Snider?
Why would someone like that fund an epic movie about individualism?

doodle
04-17-2011, 01:25 AM
That is a good question.
Could it be Snider funded pro US Iran invasion campaigns for same reason famous movie director Spielberg reportedly sent $1 Million to fund Israel's war on Lebanon?

Cable details published by 'Guardian' reveal Arab countries approved boycott after director gave $1m. to Israel during Second Lebanon War.

http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.aspx?id=199957

Maybe Snider sees Iran as a threat to Israel?

I'm guessing, need to learn more about this whole scandal.

McBell
04-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Ayn Rand's foreign policy was horrible.

doodle
04-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Ayn Rand's foreign policy was horrible.

You cannot seperate horrible foreign policy from domestic policy; they are linked together. You can't have small government and liberties at home while supporting elective wars oversees against countries that do not attack or pose threat to us.

That in a nutshell is the reason that neocon-wing of Tea Party is collapsing so fast. Liberty movement should have done a better job at monopolizing "Tea Party" brand, it may still not be too late.

This cost estimate is couple of years old, some recent estimartes cite $3-$4 Trillion figures:
http://ondeadline.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/cost-of-war-in-iraq-and-afghanistan.jpg

http://www.pcdc.edu.ps/image00V.jpghttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5x84bmjRpmLVLWnpFymfC7YSHwW7Sj s6WInHkfs84vul1Ow88

http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/TPV3/media/blogs/blog/14/iraq_children_tortured_66.JPGhttp://www.cbsnews.com/i/tim/2010/11/22/image7078571_370x278.jpg

‘Atlas Shrugged’ Opens Friday: Hollywood Will Be Hoping the First ‘Tea Party Movie’ Flops
by John Nolte

Now this is really bizarre headline because hollywood funded Obama, one of the most pro war tools neocon lobby ever bought.

V for Voluntary
04-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Ayn Rand on Israel (Ford Hall Forum lecture, 1974)

Q: What should the United Sates do about the [1973] Arab-Israeli War?

AR: Give all the help possible to Israel. Consider what is at stake. It is not the moral duty of any country to send men to die helping another country. The help Israel needs is technology and military weapons—and they need them desperately. Why should we help Israel? Israel is fighting not just the Arabs but Soviet Russia, who is sending the Arabs armaments. Russia is after control of the Mediterranean and oil.

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_america_at_war_israeli_a rab_conflict

PLAYBOY: . . . And that any free nation today has the moral right -- though not the duty -- to invade Soviet Russia, Cuba, or any other "slave pen." Correct?

RAND: Correct. A dictatorship -- a country that violates the rights of its own citizens -- is an outlaw and can claim no rights.

http://freedomkeys.com/ar-playboy.htm

goopc
04-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Why should we help Israel? Israel is fighting not just the Arabs but Soviet Russia, who is sending the Arabs armaments. Russia is after control of the Mediterranean and oil.
Sounds awfully collectivist to me. If Ayn Rand was so concerned about the plight of Israelis, why didn't she donate own money to their cause? Why force every American to contribute to Israel's defense? So much for Ayn Rand the individualist.

juleswin
04-17-2011, 07:05 AM
my fascination with Ayn Rand ended the day I watched an interview of her where she was talking about oil companies and their right to third world and/or arab world's oil field. I think her argument was that since the oil companies helped those country discover the oil, they should have the sole right to drilling those fields (no matter the fact that contracts have been sign stating otherwise). So my 1st and lasting impression was one of a corporatist, racist (just the tone of her voice when referring to the 3rd world people fortunate to be blessed with black gold), and someone with utter contempt for contracts. Suffice to say, I did not make any attempt to read his books and definitely not going to watch her movie after that.

cindy25
04-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Movement To Save The War!
The Movement To Save The War? Isn't that also a Twilight Zone episode ghost-written by George Orwell?

Ed Snider?
Why would someone like that fund an epic movie about individualism?

to make money

cindy25
04-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Sounds awfully collectivist to me. If Ayn Rand was so concerned about the plight of Israelis, why didn't she donate own money to their cause? Why force every American to contribute to Israel's defense? So much for Ayn Rand the individualist.

she was a Jew first, a Libertarian 2nd?

sevin
04-17-2011, 07:12 AM
I still don't understand why Objectivists want to attack Iran so much. Reading Ayn Rand's essays is what helped convince me of the non-aggression principle and that the conflicts in the middle east are just more government interference. Weird.

S.Shorland
04-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Objectivism is based on logical self interest and she knew a Central Bank wasn't for the people.It's no good supporting friends if you're bankrupting yourself.

EndDaFed
04-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't understand why everyone is shocked. Don't you people even know what Objectivism is? It's perfectly fine within the ideology that is Objectivism to use force on nations that are considered to be less rational and take all of their resources. Which is why Ayn Rand could really be called the world's first true rational neocon. Where as today you have the irrational type that tries to gen up love of country and other such nonsense to spread "democracy".

sevin
04-17-2011, 08:25 AM
I don't understand why everyone is shocked. Don't you people even know what Objectivism is? It's perfectly fine within the ideology that is Objectivism to use force on nations that are considered to be less rational and take all of their resources. Which is why Ayn Rand could really be called the world's first true rational neocon. Where as today you have the irrational type that tries to gen up love of country and other such nonsense to spread "democracy".

Umm, no. If you actually study her philosophy, she meant the non-aggression policy to apply to countries, not just individuals. Here's a quote: "Statism needs war; a free country does not. Statism survives by looting; a free country survives by producing." She was very anti-war but for some reason changed her attitude in the last 10 years of her life. She obviously let her bias against the middle east cloud her judgment.

doodle
04-17-2011, 12:08 PM
to make money

By marketing it as a "Tea Party Movie" LOL

But can't blame him for trying. Ultimate goal may still be to get more pro Iran war Republican elected under the Teap Party neocon wing banner. More money to spend means freedom to buy more politicians election campaigns. That is if he is that dedicated to help launch US attack on Iran.

doodle
04-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Ayn Rand on Israel (Ford Hall Forum lecture, 1974)

Q: What should the United Sates do about the [1973] Arab-Israeli War?

AR: Give all the help possible to Israel. Consider what is at stake. It is not the moral duty of any country to send men to die helping another country. The help Israel needs is technology and military weapons—and they need them desperately. Why should we help Israel? Israel is fighting not just the Arabs but Soviet Russia, who is sending the Arabs armaments. Russia is after control of the Mediterranean and oil.

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_america_at_war_israeli_a rab_conflict

PLAYBOY: . . . And that any free nation today has the moral right -- though not the duty -- to invade Soviet Russia, Cuba, or any other "slave pen." Correct?

RAND: Correct. A dictatorship -- a country that violates the rights of its own citizens -- is an outlaw and can claim no rights.

http://freedomkeys.com/ar-playboy.htm

She could just shrugged and said that Israel need to support its own wars.

Very collectivist and un-liberty minded views she espouses while advocating foreign welfare states that cannot live on their own. If foreign welfare is ok, what is wrong with domestic welfare programs for the good, struggling fellow Americans, homeless veterans and many other who need welfare?

doodle
04-17-2011, 05:36 PM
my fascination with Ayn Rand ended the day I watched an interview of her where she was talking about oil companies and their right to third world and/or arab world's oil field. I think her argument was that since the oil companies helped those country discover the oil, they should have the sole right to drilling those fields (no matter the fact that contracts have been sign stating otherwise). So my 1st and lasting impression was one of a corporatist, racist (just the tone of her voice when referring to the 3rd world people fortunate to be blessed with black gold), and someone with utter contempt for contracts. Suffice to say, I did not make any attempt to read his books and definitely not going to watch her movie after that.

I may end up being in same boat.

sevin
04-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Wow. Well I'm sorry to say you're missing out by disregarding her and her philosophy so quickly. Like I said in another post, she changed a lot toward the end of her life. But before that she had it right. She wrote very passionately against racism (http://freedomkeys.com/ar-racism.htm) and about contracts (http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/contracts.html).

Don't brush her off so quickly. There's a lot to learn from her writings.

KramerDSP
04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Ed Snider sucks. The Sixers are always neglected in favor of the Flyers. Completely off topic, yes, but I don't get to vent about Snider that much.

Carehn
04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
she was a Jew first, a Libertarian 2nd?

I don't think so. She was Ayn Rand. Old pekoff or what ever may be a bit out their when he said if we go to war with the middle east we should stomp them into the ground and leave but Rand was no war monger. Your comment seems just a bit .... Fucking evil!!!

Just evil is all.

doodle
04-17-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't think so. She was Ayn Rand. Old pekoff or what ever may be a bit out their when he said if we go to war with the middle east we should stomp them into the ground and leave but Rand was no war monger.

When Israel does same in Gaza every now and then, somehow they are still called war mongers. Maybe she was not occupation monger but she is advocating militant collectivist war mongering. No wonder fruits like Iraq/Iran war campaign/Ayran rand Inst founder donor Ed Snider and nutcases like Pamela Geller of atalasshhrug dot com also advoate abusing property rights of mideast people and bombing them. That is not a whole lot better than blending bombing with HumanitarianJesus inspired compassionate occupation/rebuilding as our confused foreign policy seems to attempt to do. Maybe it's OT vs NT religiously inspired philosophies and outlook on life that separates Israeli stomping/occupation and US stomping/recunstruction policy attitudes.

Carehn
04-17-2011, 06:30 PM
When Israel does same in Gaza every now and then, somehow they are still called war mongers. Maybe she was not occupation monger but she is advocating militant collectivist war mongering. No wonder fruits like Iraq/Iran war campaign/Ayran rand Inst founder donor Ed Snider and nutcases like Pamela Geller of atalasshhrug dot com also advoate abusing property rights of mideast people and bombing them. That is not a whole lot better than blending bombing with HumanitarianJesus inspired compassionate occupation/rebuilding as our confused foreign policy seems to attempt to do. Maybe it's OT vs NT religiously inspired philosophies and outlook on life that separates Israeli stomping/occupation and US stomping/recunstruction policy attitudes.

I would definitely disagree with Rand if she advocated war like im reading about but I don't see how it takes away from what she is known for. I don't know why when it comes to Rand people expect her to be some kind of perfect human. She had her flaws. Her personality was a big one, and not everything she said I have to agree with, but her work was so wonderful. I cant see how anyone can read her work and come away thinking she advocated anything but liberty.

One of the most wonderful minds ever. She was a bitch but damn she was smart.

You have to give it to her as well. If you where to have a conversation with this chick i don't think you would find her political positions hollow. Wrong on some things maybe, but do you think she could not defend them in a rational way??? No one is right all the time. What team do you think she played for man? who do you think she would support for prez???

doodle
04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I would definitely disagree with Rand if she advocated war like im reading about but I don't see how it takes away from what she is known for. I don't know why when it comes to Rand people expect her to be some kind of perfect human. She had her flaws. Her personality was a big one, and not everything she said I have to agree with, but her work was so wonderful. I cant see how anyone can read her work and come away thinking she advocated anything but liberty.

One of the most wonderful minds ever. She was a bitch but damn she was smart.

You have to give it to her as well. If you where to have a conversation with this chick i don't think you would find her political positions hollow. Wrong on some things maybe, but do you think she could not defend them in a rational way??? No one is right all the time. What team do you think she played for man? who do you think she would support for prez???

There is some validity in point I think you are trying to make but I don't think many are completely dismissing all her work. Humans are complex and have amazing capacity to be genius, evil genius, flip flop over time or just settle with some shortcomings/inconsitencies in some areas and be brilliant in other areas. I personally don't know enough about her philosophy to give my verdict on her, so far my point was parimarily about the record and money trail of the executive producer of the movie and ARI founder. If money from movie sales in turn is used to fund campaigns for wars/to groom pro war politicians, even a movie filled with golden ideas could be a force of destruction for America's liberties. There are some glaring double standards in AR's views I have sampled so far. Perhaps as a human who cannot completely detach herself emotionally from her personal situation/expereinces or beliefs , religious or otherwise, can be ground to cut some slack. But she is far from the superior intellect that some are raising her to.
My guess is she rationalized instictive self-interest urge among all creatures from moral/religious guilt that otherwise could be present based on most of our social conditioning and thats why many people may have felt a huge impact from her work. But if we look, many species in nature live that way when they are far less intelleigent than humans. It's my semi ignorant take without having read her and just based on samling of views posted here.

low preference guy
04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
There is some validity in point I think you are trying to make but I don't think many are completely dismissing all her work. Humans are complex and have amazing capacity to be genius, evil genius, flip flop over time or just settle with some shortcomings/inconsitencies in some areas and be brilliant in other areas. I personally don't know enough about her philosophy to give my verdict on her, so far my point was parimarily about the record and money trail of the executive producer of the movie and ARI founder. If money from movie sales in turn is used to fund campaigns for wars/to groom pro war politicians, even a movie filled with golden ideas could be a force of destruction for America's liberties. There are some glaring double standards in AR's views I have sampled so far. Perhaps as a human who cannot completely detach herself emotionally from her personal situation/expereinces or beliefs , religious or otherwise, can be ground to cut some slack. But she is far from the superior intellect that some are raising her to.
My guess is she rationalized instictive self-interest urge among all creatures from moral/religious guilt that otherwise could be present based on most of our social conditioning and thats why many people may have felt a huge impact from her work. But if we look, many species in nature live that way when they are far less intelleigent than humans. It's my semi ignorant take without having read her and just based on samling of views posted here.

Short version: I haven't even read Ayn Rand's work but I am still going to write lost posts about her with my ignorant opinions.

doodle
04-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Short version: I haven't even read Ayn Rand's work but I am still going to write lost posts about her with my ignorant opinions.

You are partially right but you miss the point highlighted below:

I personally don't know enough about her philosophy to give my verdict on her, so far my point was parimarily about the record and money trail of the executive producer of the movie and ARI founder. If money from movie sales in turn is used to fund campaigns for wars/to groom pro war politicians, even a movie filled with golden ideas could be a force of destruction for America's liberties.

Carehn
04-17-2011, 07:17 PM
You are partially right but you miss the point highlighted below:

I personally don't know enough about her philosophy to give my verdict on her, so far my point was parimarily about the record and money trail of the executive producer of the movie and ARI founder. If money from movie sales in turn is used to fund campaigns for wars/to groom pro war politicians, even a movie filled with golden ideas could be a force of destruction for America's liberties.

I don't know of this man funding the movie. He may be a perfect ass. I don't know.

You should read Atlas man. I have not seen the movie and it may be terrible. But if you have ever taken the word of a complete stranger on line let this be the time....

Read Atlas and it will change you. IT WILL CHANGE YOU.

doodle
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't know of this man funding the movie. He may be a perfect ass. I don't know.

You should read Atlas man. I have not seen the movie and it may be terrible. But if you have ever taken the word of a complete stranger on line let this be the time....

Read Atlas and it will change you. IT WILL CHANGE YOU.

Thank you for your suggestion. But I think I'm going to pass on the book too for now until I find out where the money from book sale goes. Besides I don't really need any collectivist philosopher tell me that I am myself master of my destiny, my happiness is under my control and I don't need government to make that happen for me. It's common sense.

low preference guy
04-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Thank you for your suggestion. But I think I'm going to pass on the book too for now until I find out where the money from book sale goes.

Haha. What a lame excuse for your intellectual laziness. You can get it for free in a library or even download it online.

Revolution9
07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
I still don't understand why Objectivists want to attack Iran so much. Reading Ayn Rand's essays is what helped convince me of the non-aggression principle and that the conflicts in the middle east are just more government interference. Weird.

It is similar to the Satanic canard. It sucks you in by a few up front pseudo truths based on ego validations and when you are down the rabbit hole you realize the opposite of what you have been sold is the secret doctrine.

Rev9

Revolution9
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
She obviously let her bias against the middle east cloud her judgment.

Objectivising a counterfeit as though it were real and justification of such tends to cloud ones judgement.

Rev9

Revolution9
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Wow. Well I'm sorry to say you're missing out by disregarding her and her philosophy so quickly. Like I said in another post, she changed a lot toward the end of her life. But before that she had it right. She wrote very passionately against racism (http://freedomkeys.com/ar-racism.htm) and about contracts (http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/contracts.html).

Don't brush her off so quickly. There's a lot to learn from her writings.

I kinda figured out most of what she was saying by the time I was ten or eleven and got bored reading her when I was shown her in my late teens. I was an army brat moving all over the place to different schools and figured out the country/war level stuff from hearing my dad and his army pals yak it up and the other on a personal level writings about aggression I learned abruptly in each new schoolyard and had to reflect on what was fair daily and how to quell aggressive threats without violence as I certainly wasn't the toughest kid on the block. Smarter than most..and stubborn as all get out..too smart for my own good what what I was told over and over..I kind of remember thinking..why do they make such a fuss these days over people who write about common sense like Ayn Rand. If I didn't use common sense I got a good cuff upside the head from my drill sargeant father.

Rev9