PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Add-on ‘Undoes’ U.S. Government Domain Seizures

AGRP
04-15-2011, 07:51 PM
The seizure of file-sharing related domain names by the US Government hasn’t been as effective as the entertainment industries had hoped since many of them simply continued their operations under new domains. To make these type of domain transitions go more smoothly, an anonymous group has coded a simple Firefox add-on that automatically redirects users to these new homes.

http://torrentfreak.com/firefox-add-on-undoes-u-s-government-domain-seizures-110414/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak% 29&utm_content=FaceBook

sailingaway
04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
LOL!

Creativity of the free market....

AGRP
04-15-2011, 08:02 PM
TorrentFreak got in touch with the MAFIAA Fire developer, who told us that this is just the beginning. Inspired by a quote from John Gilmore who once said “the Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it,” they are determined to retaliate against these and other censorship attacks.

Awesome quote.

daviddee
04-15-2011, 08:09 PM
///

osan
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM
The seizure of file-sharing related domain names by the US Government hasn’t been as effective as the entertainment industries had hoped since many of them simply continued their operations under new domains. To make these type of domain transitions go more smoothly, an anonymous group has coded a simple Firefox add-on that automatically redirects users to these new homes.

http://torrentfreak.com/firefox-add-on-undoes-u-s-government-domain-seizures-110414/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak% 29&utm_content=FaceBook

Domain seizure sucks, but it is not necessarily that effective because the sites still have their IP addresses. If one uses IP, the domain name becomes extraneous. Domain names are only a convenience. blahblahblah.com is easier to remember than 1.2.3.4, but if the douchebags in the so-called "government" are going to seize domains, the sites will continue to be operable if people use the IP address.

I would also note that in order for the seizures to go into effect, the carriers must be working in cooperation with government. I do not know what the law is here. Anyone know whether there is any law on the books mandating such cooperation in the theft of private property?

It would be interesting so see whether governments would/could start seizing IP addresses in the event that large numbers of users began employing IP addresses in preference to the domain names.

DamianTV
04-15-2011, 09:03 PM
There are other ways around it too. Google Pirate DNS...

Personally, I dont even use my ISP's DNS servers. Mostly for blocking ads. Although blocking all ads is pretty much impossible, blocking out a lot actually speeds up your internet even on high speed. If anyone is interested, use 74.53.155.162 as your DNS server. If you need help, I can explain.