PDA

View Full Version : DailyKos: Debt is Good

LatinsforPaul
04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Wow, this (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/04/14/966812/-Debt-is-Good) is unbelievable... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, debt is good. Feeling indebted is even better. 'Cause it means you've got something to be grateful for--somebody's done you a favor, perhaps without even knowing it, and, as a result, you're inclined to do a favor for someone else. Some people call that "paying it forward." But, regardless of what you call it, the impulse to reciprocate a benefit is what the social web is all about. It feels good. Trust me.

Of course, that doesn't answer the question why so many people are so down on debt they can hardly talk about anything else. I think it's because they feel debts are something that's imposed, not chosen, and so they resent them. That it may be a perception problem probably doesn't occur to them. Or maybe they feel tricked because they got a benefit and didn't anticipate someone would expect them to do some good deed in return. Maybe they just don't have the ability to anticipate or, at least, anticipate with any degree of accuracy. Maybe their expectations are of the 'tit for tit' variety, instead of 'tit for tat,' and it doesn't occur to them they're not expected to give back, but can give something else, or even to someone else.

That would explain a lot. If you think that you have to give back whatever you got, then it might not be worth getting anything at all. And you'd rather not be beholden; much less a burden. People who worry about debts a lot can frequently be heard to say they don't want to be a burden. Which is probably true. What's also probably true is that whether they want it or not, they are a burden to someone. And that's largely because such people are endemically incapable of recognizing an obligation, of realizing that they owe something and of making an effort to discharge that obligation. And that's sad.

Obligations are what we owe, either for benefits received or promised. It's a concept which, for some reason, seems foreign to conservatives, especially conservative politicians--aka public servants. That the Constitution imposes obligations and that we the people pay public servants to carry them out is apparently incomprehensible to some of the people now serving in Washington.

They not only deny that they owe the public service, but would perforce convince us that being in debt is a fate worse than death. Mainly, I think, that's because they don't want to pay up. And the reason they don't want to pay up is because they don't really know how. And the reason they don't know how is because they don't know what other people want. For that matter, conservatives don't even know what they want for themselves. Our conservative brethren only know what they don't want and, as Harry Reid so accurately observed, won't take yes for an answer.

The Party of No is aptly named. The frustration is palpable and sad.

My comment: http://www.dailykos.com/comments/966812/41197020

mczerone
04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Being in debt means someone has done you a favor?

Is it satire day at the Kos?

aGameOfThrones
04-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Makes sense if you don't think about it.

dannno
04-15-2011, 04:46 PM
They obviously haven't studied basic Austrian Economics.. artificially low interest rates encourages people to borrow rather than save, so people who are not at the fore-front of increased profits and production (usually tied to large corporations protected by govt. edict, or some government protected program like the military) are constantly losing wealth and going further and further into debt.

QueenB4Liberty
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Wow.

NYgs23
04-15-2011, 05:28 PM
I think what he's saying is we owe a "debt" to the state for its "services" for which we should be grateful; i.e. be a happy little taxpayer. Which is garbage.

gjdavis60
04-15-2011, 05:39 PM
It is inevitable that the progressives must eventually come out in support of debt, since they have neither the desire nor the intention to curb it, and in the absence of any viable source of revenue to cover the current spending levels, there really are no alternatives. It's a ridiculous, convoluted, intellectually dishonest argument, but really, what else can they do?

Jack Bauer
04-15-2011, 05:58 PM
So I guess they will not be complaining about Booooosh racking up all that debt then. NOT!

I Don't Vote
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
This isn't the dumbest shit I've read from the Daily Kos, but it'll probably be the dumbest shit from the Daily Kos that I'll read TODAY.

NewRightLibertarian
04-15-2011, 06:22 PM
And they wonder why their movement is crashing and burning.

DamianTV
04-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Author of the article wins the award of Retard of the Day.

Expatriate
04-15-2011, 06:59 PM
So according to DailyKos: Tax Cuts are Theft (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?287764-Daily-Kos-Tax-Cuts-are-Theft!!!) and Debt is Good. You gotta be kidding me.

Coming soon: Ignorance is Strength, War is Peace and Freedom is Slavery.

Kylie
04-15-2011, 07:14 PM
So according to DailyKos: Tax Cuts are Theft (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?287764-Daily-Kos-Tax-Cuts-are-Theft!!!) and Debt is Good. You gotta be kidding me.

You wrote exactly what I was thinking. +rep to you, my telepathic friend.

Cowlesy
04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
This is the best piece of true 1984 DoubleThink I've read in a long time.

Humanae Libertas
04-15-2011, 07:19 PM
That's why its a blog, and not taken serious.

madfoot
04-15-2011, 07:25 PM
'Cause it means you've got something to be grateful for.

Stopped reading there.

dude58677
04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Progessives are the ideology of extreme stupidity.

White Bear Lake
04-15-2011, 07:55 PM
They obviously haven't studied basic Austrian Economics..

No shit sherlock

messana
04-15-2011, 08:34 PM
//

LatinsforPaul
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Best post of the day, week, month... :D

Teaser Rate
04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, the article does have a hint of truth to it, some debt is good. Excessive debt is bad.

I'm not quite sure myself, but I'd say $14 trillion might be a tad excessive.

AZKing
04-15-2011, 08:43 PM
War is peace.
Tax cuts are theft.
Debt is wealth.

\\