PDA

View Full Version : The Child You Didn't Dream Of

moostraks
04-15-2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/2011/04/10/the-child-you-didn-t-dream-of.html

I hate the title of this article. It is about a family with a child with Hyperlexia. I wonder how many of the geniuses we revere would now fall within the autism spectrum? In this struggle for "normalizing" children are we teaching the children to suppress interests that aren't considered "average"? It seems from this article that the child had social issues that might have benefited from attention but they also seem to be suppressing interests so he was more "normal". It was really rather sad, especially considering the attitude is one of such dismal disappointment even if they reconciled with their dreams after much effort.

Expatriate
04-15-2011, 03:12 PM
It seems that every child, if analyzed enough can now be said to have something wrong with him/her. Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ADHD, Hyperlexia, Autism, Aspergers...

VIDEODROME
04-15-2011, 03:23 PM
It seems like for a long time people would have a similar attitude toward children for something as simple as Left Hand Dominance and some instructors would actually try to make them wright Right Handed to "fit-in".

The thing is human beings come in a variety of types and occasionally go so far as to Think Differently then most people. I mean sure we don't want them to be miserable from social difficulties but it's quite possible it's people like this who see the world from a new perspective and have new solutions for problems. Or a different perspective could manifest through being an Artist.

VIDEODROME
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
It seems that every child, if analyzed enough can now be said to have something wrong with him/her. Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ADHD, Hyperlexia, Autism, Aspergers...

I say we drag in the Teachers and analyze them. Let's put all their faults under the spotlight.

MelissaWV
04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Oh there's a crapload wrong with me. I grew up and I armed myself with the knowledge and ability to recognize issues, make my environment more pleasant, and try to remove myself from really bad situations. I'm still learning, but I've managed it all without drugs. At least I have the bonus of knowing my mother was and is and always will be against putting small children on drugs for emotional problems. I would have wound up home-schooled for sure.

DamianTV
04-15-2011, 05:36 PM
You have to have a disease in order to need a treatment. If you dont have anything "wrong" with you, then we will classify something new so that we can put you on an expensive prescription for the rest of your nautural born life. Then, when that is over, we will hook you up to a bunch of machines so we can bill somebody for the expenses of forcing you to live well beyond your nautral life span.

South Park Fan
04-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Autism seems to be the new homosexuality, only abnormal intelligence is classified as a "disease" rather than abnormal sexual preferences.

MelissaWV
04-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Oldie but goodie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVqRT_kCOLI

If you haven't seen it, you should give it your time. Really awesome.

There are related videos for other cities where he does the same thing.

I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty proud to have a relative that could do that.