PDA

View Full Version : Robert Paul considers jumping into U.S. Senate race in Texas

sailingaway
04-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Robert Paul considers jumping into U.S. Senate race in Texas

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/04/14/3001610/robert-paul-considers-jumping.html#ixzz1JYAWvyuH

If this is true, we need to get organized, including finding out more about his views. I don't think we've been paying any attention to that race......

"I have thought about running," Robert Paul, one of five children, told the Star-Telegram. "I am very happy as a physician, but (I) have a lot of concern about the debt."
He hasn't started raising any money for a potential bid yet, although several other candidates have.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/04/14/3001610/robert-paul-considers-jumping.html#ixzz1JYB5lMFE

...so.... is this as in, he's 'thinking about it' or as in, people keep bugging him about it so he can't ignore it?

I have to say, other than watching one video of him from the 2008 campaign, I don't know much about him. Does anyone have more information?

Distinguished Gentleman
04-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Any video of Robert Paul floating around?

low preference guy
04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Any video of Robert Paul floating around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVxAwWFR0k

Sola_Fide
04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/195814_147920691940000_5075319_n.jpg

Robert Paul for U.S. Senate

http://m.facebook.com/pages/Robert-Paul-for-US-Senate-2012/148303935230977?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.c om%2Fpages%2FRobert-Paul-for-US-Senate-2012%2F148303935230977&_rdr#!/profile.php?id=148303935230977&refid=0&_ft_a=148303935230977&_ft_tf=209539352409268&_ft_tpi=148303935230977&_ft_ti=17&_ft_time_ft=1302830174&_ft_mf_objid=209539352409268

EDIT: sorry, wrong dr. Paul:)

sailingaway
04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Meh, lpg posted it before I fetched it. I only know that one.

Aqua Buddha, yeah, there are a bunch of threads on that (the new account.)

dejavu22
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I dont know much about him but i just dont know how well someone who sounds like Jeff Foxworthy would do no matter what.

gls
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Texas seems like it would be a very expensive place to run a state-wide race in. Then again Medina did pretty well with limited funds.

sailingaway
04-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I dont know much about him but i just dont know how well someone who sounds like Jeff Foxworthy would do no matter what.

He could turn it into a gimmick....

"You know you're a big spending politician when......."

Texas seems like it would be a very expensive place to run a state-wide race in. Then again Medina did pretty well with limited funds.

It would be very expensive given the others interested in the job.

Sola_Fide
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Jeff Foxworthy could definitely win any office here in KY. He could just do his stand up routine and people would vote for him based on that.

low preference guy
You definitely can't lose with that tie.

White Bear Lake
We need to get started planning this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVxAwWFR0k

Agorism
04-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Fighting a presidential campaign and funding a Texas race at the same time will draw the movement extremely thin financially. Then again, it may not be a bad idea anyways if he is serious about it.

Sola_Fide
04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Fighting a presidential campaign and funding a Texas race at the same time will draw the movement extremely thin financially. Then again, it may not be a bad idea anyways if he is serious about it.

Think about the name recognition and the instant attention that the 3 Pauls would get. It could be in our favor.

trey4sports
04-14-2011, 07:34 PM
If he follows Rands playbook and runs a somewhat mainstream campaign he wouldn't have to be 100% dependent on the grassroots for funding.

Sola_Fide
04-14-2011, 07:38 PM
If he follows Rands playbook and runs a somewhat mainstream campaign he wouldn't have to be 100% dependent on the grassroots for funding.

Yeah. Focus on the debt, family issues, national defense (true national defense).... there would be some crossover appeal for sure.

Agorism
04-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Rand had a small market though, and I bet what 1/3 of his money was from money bombs. I bet a large chunk non money bomb money of his funding was from out of state people in the primary as well. I think they each spent like 2.5 million in the primary?

I can see it being a 30 million dollar primary in Texas. Much larger.

The Paul movement was able to win in Kentucky by brute force, but in Texas winning might require being party of the party structure, which would mean being a sell-out like most of them.

Chieppa1
04-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I say go for it. Get the name out there for people in Texas that might actually want him to run. No harm in spreading it nationally.

Agorism
04-14-2011, 07:48 PM
If he decides not to but wants to...

I suggest leaving Texas and move to a small (and red) state that we can overwhelm. Then just wait for the opportunity and we'll take the state easily.

low preference guy
04-14-2011, 07:49 PM

I suggest leaving Texas and move to a small (and red) state that we can overwhelm. Then just wait for the opportunity and we'll take the state easily.

Another thing is that some of the Republicans running for that seat seem OK, unlike Trey Grayson who was absolutely horrible.

cindy25
he would make a great senator, but the dynasty issue bothers me.

Distinguished Gentleman
My first instinct after listening to him is that he's probably more of a people person than Rand, and would do well if he had proper funding. Rand's speeches sound great in transcript form but often don't connect with people emotionally.
I'll remain skeptical for now solely for how expensive it would be.

Bergie Bergeron
04-14-2011, 07:54 PM
He should run for an House seat, really. We won't have enough to fund Ron Paul 2012 + other liberty candidates running for office everywhere (Justin Amash, Glen Bradley, etc).

sailingaway
04-14-2011, 07:55 PM

We NEED someone to run for North Dakota's empty senate seat! Robert or someone else. That is our kind of state.

Agorism
04-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Another thing is that some of the Republicans running for that seat seem OK, unlike Trey Grayson who was absolutely horrible.

I was thinking that too.

Bill Johnson probably could have gotten traction if Rand was not the 500 pound gorilla candidate in terms of the outsider candidate. Big money advantage from early was a huge boost because the media makes the race about that candidate.

sailingaway
04-14-2011, 08:00 PM
He should run for an House seat, really. We won't have enough to fund Ron Paul 2012 + other liberty candidates running for office everywhere (Justin Amash, Glen Bradley, etc).

I don't know how interested he is at all, or if he's interested in a House seat, but it does sound like Texas will have extra House seats, won't it? With redistricting?

Humanae Libertas
04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Where does he stand on the issues?

sailingaway
04-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I asked that too. When this first came up people said he sounded like Ron, but of course, at the time he had been campaigning for Ron.....

Agorism
04-14-2011, 08:04 PM
So in Kentucky we raised 2-3 million in the primary. Say we raised 3-5 million in the primary somehow as it is a larger market in general so we will probably raise a tad more in instate donors.

Would that be enough to win the GOP primary?

sailingaway
04-14-2011, 08:13 PM
So in Kentucky we raised 2-3 million in the primary. Say we raised 3-5 million in the primary somehow as it is a larger market in general so we will probably raise a tad more in instate donors.

Would that be enough to win the GOP primary?

With insanely active activists, possibly. The question is can we raise that PLUS the presidential race and the other liberty candidates. At least that is what I hear people asking. I don't know the answer.....Ron basically didn't ask for money during Rand's campaign, he only asked people to donate to Rand.

trey4sports
04-14-2011, 08:15 PM
With insanely active activists, possibly. The question is can we raise that PLUS the presidential race and the other liberty candidates. At least that is what I hear people asking. I don't know the answer.....Ron basically didn't ask for money during Rand's campaign, he only asked people to donate to Rand.

No to the 3-5 mil, but if he runs a mainstream campaign he wont need to be 100% dependent on grassroots funding

Agorism
04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Rand was mostly dependent on grassroots funding in the primary though (not the general.)

I think 3-5 million might be possible. Remember only 1/3 of Ron's presidential campaign was money bombs and only 1/3 of Rand's campaign was money bombs. They both get decent baseline money in, but the money bombs are good for news coverage and extra boosts.

pauladin
04-14-2011, 08:21 PM
the supposed frontrunner for the gop primary is david dewhurst, the lieutenant governor, who has an estimated net worth of up to $200 million. that would be hard to compete with.

Batman
04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to get a Sarah Palin and Jim DeMint endorsement a second time. Rand and Ron can certainly vouch for Robert. That might go a long way in Texas. The hard part is the Primary.

Sola_Fide
04-14-2011, 09:26 PM
the supposed frontrunner for the gop primary is david dewhurst, the lieutenant governor, who has an estimated net worth of up to $200 million. that would be hard to compete with.

What is the dirt on Dewhurst?

AGRP
04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Rob Paul has the best personality of all the Pauls.

Something about him is so funny. I can't not listen to him without laughing.

RP Supporter
04-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I recall that PPP polled this race and the frontrunners were Dewhurst and Ron Paul, if he decided to run. If Robert jumped in, I bet he'd retain at least a fair chunk of that support. I think less informed voters might even mistake him for Ron Paul, which may be both a blessing and a curse.

In many ways he might even start in a better position than Rand. But the rest of the campaign will probably be a good deal more difficult(Well, the primary. The general would be assured even more then in Kentucky).

doctor jones
04-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I asked that too. When this first came up people said he sounded like Ron, but of course, at the time he had been campaigning for Ron.....

I remember recently seeing on his personal FB him saying in his status that after seeing what we are doing in the middle east and how much money we are spending he becomes more and more firm on being anti-war.

doctor jones
04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
My dad who lives in Dallas is already drumming up support for Robert and is taking a big group to his UNT speaking event next week on April 21st. (My dad didn't support Ron Paul in 2008 but does now!)

BarryDonegan
04-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I have a feeling, because he is younger, he spent almost all or most of his life in Texas, unlike both Ron and Rand. He has a legit Texas accent and speaks like a Texan in a way his brother and father do not. That will carry him a long way in a Republican primary. It works like that here in Tennessee as well. You can always tap into your local Tennessee specific accent and gain immediate sympathy from everyone.

Rand has developed a Kentucky accent for sure, which definitely helped him there. That's probably a natural consequence of living there over the past years.

DXDoug
04-15-2011, 12:30 AM
we really need him to run i know he could win! lets get it going! sooner the better

sailingaway
04-15-2011, 02:31 AM
I wonder if it would be possible to get a Sarah Palin and Jim DeMint endorsement a second time. Rand and Ron can certainly vouch for Robert. That might go a long way in Texas. The hard part is the Primary.

I'm pretty sure both De Mint and Mike Lee have already endorsed in that race.

IDefendThePlatform
04-15-2011, 02:45 AM
I remember recently seeing on his personal FB him saying in his status that after seeing what we are doing in the middle east and how much money we are spending he becomes more and more firm on being anti-war.

He wasn't already antiwar after living with Ron for how many years?

That said, this sounds like a good chance for more publicity for the Paul name. And any money we (Ron's supporters) donate to him should be repaid in the publicity generated from his race and the other money he gets from non-grassroots sources.

The biggest possible negative would be the negative publicity of losing and/or losing badly. Would damage the Paul brand. I'd like to hear more about his political views and some polling before i commit.

rp08orbust
04-15-2011, 02:57 AM
He wasn't already antiwar after living with Ron for how many years?

That said, this sounds like a good chance for more publicity for the Paul name. And any money we (Ron's supporters) donate to him should be repaid in the publicity generated from his race and the other money he gets from non-grassroots sources.

The biggest possible negative would be the negative publicity of losing and/or losing badly. Would damage the Paul brand. I'd like to hear more about his political views and some polling before i commit.

The presidential nominating race will almost certainly have already been decided for Ron long before the Texas 2012 primary (it will be over for Ron if he hasn't won at least IA or NH), so I don't think there's any danger of poor polling by Robert hurting Ron's credibility in his presidential campaign. If Robert is polling above 5% in a three or four-way race at the beginning of January 2012, he'll be doing as well as Debra Medina was doing at that point in 2010. If anything, Ron's losses are more likely to hurt Robert's credibility than the other way around.

Gage
04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/33l37fl.png

pauladin
04-15-2011, 08:23 AM
the publicity is picking up: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53262.html

sailingaway
04-15-2011, 08:25 AM
The presidential nominating race will almost certainly have already been decided for Ron long before the Texas 2012 primary (it will be over for Ron if he hasn't won at least IA or NH), so I don't think there's any danger of poor polling by Robert hurting Ron's credibility in his presidential campaign. If Robert is polling above 5% in a three or four-way race at the beginning of January 2012, he'll be doing as well as Debra Medina was doing at that point in 2010. If anything, Ron's losses are more likely to hurt Robert's credibility than the other way around.

I think we need to 'do well' and go all out for NH and Iowa, but those are NOT Ron's best states. I think we need to go for open primary and proportional delegate states big time. We now know that Ron is bigger with independents than is any other GOP candidate... we have to take that into account in the campaign.

However, they've already started polling for the Senate seat in Texas.

tasteless
04-15-2011, 08:28 AM
His name was Robert, Paul's son.

K466
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Excellent, Gage! I'd love to see Rob Paul win, assuming he is similar to Ron and Rand.

I'm worried about the expense and dynasty issues, but they could be overcome...

reduen
04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
This just brightened my morning for sure!!!

Aratus
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM

for a moment today i thought this was an old thread bumped up to the top until
i saw when sailingaway had created it! a few months back, i was wondering if
the feel was like the way it was in kentucky when jim bunning stepped out.
somehow seeing how the whole GOP field is very skittish about running
for president, and that ron paul is closest to plunging into the race
in full, if mr. robert paul goes for the senate seat in the climate
as it stands now, i feel he may win the TEXAS senate seat!

AGRP
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM

His name is Robert Paulson :eek:

scottditzen
04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Rob Paul has the best personality of all the Pauls.

Something about him is so funny. I can't not listen to him without laughing.

Yeah he seems like a good/goofy guy. Clumsy really. I actually would worry that people wouldn't take him seriously.

AGRP
04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah he seems like a good/goofy guy. Clumsy really. I actually would worry that people wouldn't take him seriously.

Someone really needs to train him to tone it down.

Aratus
04-15-2011, 10:15 AM
this is like rand's hair.

don't micro~manage!

do let him be himself.

TIMB0B
04-15-2011, 10:16 AM

In death we have a name. His name is Robert, Paul's son. ;)

AGRP
04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Someone really needs to train him to tone it down.

this is like rand's hair.

don't micro~manage!

do let him be himself.

Honestly, it's probably his suit that makes him look so unpolished. It really looks bad.

eduardo89
04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Would Ron let Robert move in with him and Rand in Washington? Or is that too many congressional Pauls under one roof :P

sailingaway
04-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Would Ron let Robert move in with him and Rand in Washington? Or is that too many congressional Pauls under one roof :P

It would probably depend on how many bedrooms Ron has in his condo.

Unless Robert and Rand are ok with bunk beds.... :p

sailingaway
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Ron's grandson, Robert's nephew, posted this at dp:

new!
Robert
Submitted by mlpyeatt on Fri, 04/15/2011 - 08:54.
I am not sure what will come of this, but I know certainly that my uncle, Robert, would be as fine a choice for a candidate for public office as any.

Some may complain that there are too many "Pauls" in office or other nonsense...but one thing is for sure. He is, in fact, concerned about our country as is my entire family. His views are dead-on in that he believes in a need for the constitution to guide our elected officials, and is an advocate and believer in liberty.

Though it may be perceived as biased (considering it is my uncle), he is incredibly intelligent as he is a doctor, a family man (married with two kids), and has the interesting perspective of having learned about this movement from the man who arguably started it.

Additionally, it was noted how expensive it is to run for office in our flawed system. Many of us feel, believe, and share the same values but few of us could raise the money needed to win. That should not be the determining factor for running for office but seems to be a valid point to me.

I have NO knowledge whatsoever to confirm or deny the validity of his willingness to run as I have not spoken with him today BUT I would surely support him over Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst.

Robert has been an important role model for me, as I watched him compete in high school sports, watched the example he set as he attended medical school, and used his example in raising his family as a model for how to raise my own.

Robert is a down-to-earth liberty advocate who would have my full support should he decide to undertake such a monumental task. I have watched what congressional, presidential, and senatorial campaigns can do to people and thier families - I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But if anyone decides to do it - I hope it is my uncle.

http://www.dailypaul.com/161997/robert-paul-considering-us-senate-run-in-texas

Sola_Fide
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Wow^^^

Jeremy
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Love some of the comments on Politico:

"They all talk bad about the government, but it seems to be the only way they can make a living. Not talented enough for the private sector."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53262.html#ixzz1JcKXJp3g

Matt Collins
04-17-2011, 09:25 AM
You definitely can't lose with that tie.
HA HA HA!!!

ROFL :D:D

That's awesome...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Rand%20Paul%202010/Randthesportscaster.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Rand%20Paul%202010/n1230565929_30269574_9877-1.jpg

http://www.gq.com/images/news-and-politics/2010/10/rand-paul/rand-paul-628x434.jpg

Matt Collins
04-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Obviously they've never seen Rand's house :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
04-17-2011, 09:36 AM
A House run would be easier, especially since the Lt Gov won't be in the race.

Adrock
04-17-2011, 09:45 AM
In Rand's race it was the establishment candidate vs the outsider (Tea Party) candidate. In Texas they already have two "Tea Party" candidates in the race. There will be vote splitting.

I am not sure what the new redistricting maps will look like but it may be good for Robert Paul to keep an open mind if a new open congressional district is created in his area. That may be a lot easier to capture with less money and effort.

Matt Collins
04-17-2011, 09:51 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/RobertPaul2.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/RobertPaul1.jpg

Bergie Bergeron
04-17-2011, 09:59 AM
A House run would be easier, especially since the Lt Gov won't be in the race.
We probably could fund him in 2014 but it's going to be much harder in 2012 because of the presidential run.

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Whaddya MEAN?! His last name is PAUL, fer cryin' out loud!! He's one of the EXCEPTIONS TO THE LAWS OF HUMAN NATURE!!

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 10:09 AM
we really need him . . .

Really? In the WANTS ARE ENDLESS, NEEDS ARE FEW paradigm, we NEED him?

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 10:10 AM
. . . The Paul movement was able to win in Kentucky by brute force . . .

Niiice.

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 10:12 AM
. . . but in Texas winning might require being party of the party structure, which would mean being a sell-out like most of them.

LONG longtime Congressman Ron Paul hails from Texas, yes?

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 10:15 AM
he would make a great senator, but the dynasty issue bothers me.

It will ABSOLUTELY be an issue. I will MAKE Family Dynasties an issue.

All y'all would, TOO, if it weren't "your guys" doing the coattail-riding NEPOTISM thing.

It is an ENGRAVED INVITATION to a festival of fringe labels for a THIRD Paul to seek OFFICE OF CONSEQUENCE.

Gumba of Liberty
04-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Really? In the WANTS ARE ENDLESS, NEEDS ARE FEW paradigm, we NEED him?

:D

sailingaway
04-17-2011, 10:28 AM
It will ABSOLUTELY be an issue. I will MAKE Family Dynasties an issue.

All y'all would, TOO, if it weren't "your guys" doing the coattail-riding NEPOTISM thing.

It is an ENGRAVED INVITATION to a festival of fringe labels for a THIRD Paul to seek OFFICE OF CONSEQUENCE.

It isn't nepotism when the other alternatives suck.

Matt Collins
04-17-2011, 10:43 AM
We probably could fund him in 2014 but it's going to be much harder in 2012 because of the presidential run.
Don't bet on it. Ron and Rand have very large fundraising network bases now, and they are not necessarily the same pool of people to draw from.

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 10:43 AM
It isn't nepotism when the other alternatives suck.

I ASSURE you, the definition of Nepotism is NOT punctuated with UNLESS THE OTHER ALTERNATIVES SUCK.

We all agree this is crunch time, yes? The more you seem to suggest THE PAUL FAMILY IS THE ANSWER TO AMERICA'S PROBLEMS, the more OUT THERE you seem to the, oooh, millions and millions and millions of Soft Suburbanites that your regularly deride.

acptulsa
04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I ASSURE you, the definition of Nepotism is NOT punctuated with UNLESS THE OTHER ALTERNATIVES SUCK.

No, it doesn't. And Robert Paul certainly doesn't have a record to run on. The fact that one apple fell close to the tree also has no bearing on the other apples. But, that said, he's bound to have been raised with more solid principles than, say, George, Jeb and Neil. So anticipation is a little hard to restrain.

You know honest men aren't a dime a dozen. Have you never gotten excited over the prospect of maybe finding one?

Aratus
04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Ron's grandson, Robert's nephew, posted this at dp:

http://www.dailypaul.com/161997/robert-paul-considering-us-senate-run-in-texas

...................................RUN!........... .......ROBERT!.......................RUN!......... ..............(please!)

One Last Battle!
04-17-2011, 11:23 AM

We all agree this is crunch time, yes? The more you seem to suggest THE PAUL FAMILY IS THE ANSWER TO AMERICA'S PROBLEMS, the more OUT THERE you seem to the, oooh, millions and millions and millions of Soft Suburbanites that your regularly deride.

CAPITALIZE all IMPORTANT WORDS for the sake of EMPHASIS rather than using EXCLAMATION MARKS. It is important to come off as a CONSPIRACY THEORIST by using their FORM OF TYPING so as to GET YOUR POINT ACROSS.

Matt Collins
04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
No, it doesn't. And Robert Paul certainly doesn't have a record to run on. The fact that one apple fell close to the tree also has no bearing on the other apples. But, that said, he's bound to have been raised with more solid principles than, say, George, Jeb and Neil. So anticipation is a little hard to restrain.

You know honest men aren't a dime a dozen. Have you never gotten excited over the prospect of maybe finding one?
You're right. I'm looking into Robert's philosophical foundations as we speak. When I arrive at my conclusion I'll let everyone here know.

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
CAPITALIZE all IMPORTANT WORDS for the sake of EMPHASIS rather than using EXCLAMATION MARKS. It is important to come off as a CONSPIRACY THEORIST by using their FORM OF TYPING so as to GET YOUR POINT ACROSS.

You DO realize your input boils down to STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE?

Superficial and petty, like a GIRL.

sailingaway
04-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Suggest your alternatives. The edge they have is familiarity, our faith in RON, whom we DO know, as a parent in instilling character, and the success to date with the other 'nepotistic' candidate, Rand. With whom we are fairly happy. At least, I am. If you have someone better, suggest them. I also like BJ Lawson and Gunny (Glenn Bradley.) I don't happen to like Gary Johnson. If you are trying to say there is a PARTICULAR person we 'should' like, maybe we just don't.

Right now, I'm not saying 'lets elect Robert', because I don't know enough about him, although I do suspect any son of Ron's who cared enough about Ron to work in Ron's campaign has to be better than the others currently running in that race. Given Ron's track record, and Rand's different, but still great start at a track record, I am certainly willing to LOOK INTO Robert as a potential candidate.

We don't 'owe' some other candidate of your choosing our support. They have to win it.

sailingaway
04-17-2011, 11:32 AM

This is supposed to convince people you have a substantive argument? Show us a better, substantive candidate.

One Last Battle!
04-17-2011, 11:39 AM

I find the charge of NEPOTISM to be OVERRATED. It wasn't much of a problem for the KENNEDYS, so it shouldn't be a problem for the PAULS. At any rate, Rob is our BEST CHANCE at a decent SENATOR winning in TEXAS, something that would definitely SUPPORT our cause. POLLS have shown RON PAUL to have an easy VICTORY in the SENATE, but ROB can run instead on the same PLATFORM and get elected WITHOUT costing RON his POSITIONS IN HOUSE COMMITTEES.

trey4sports
04-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I "get" the nepotism argument but Americans generally like family dynasty's. The Kennedys were loved, and god knows the GOP LOVES them some Bush.

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
No, it doesn't. And Robert Paul certainly doesn't have a record to run on.

I invite you to consider how the "well-raised" child of a successful Democrat would be received outta the gate, no record.

The fact that one apple fell close to the tree also has no bearing on the other apples. But, that said, he's bound to have been raised with more solid principles than, say, George, Jeb and Neil. So anticipation is a little hard to restrain.

In a comparison of the formative-year principles of JUST ABOUT ANYONE with those of the Tribe of Prescott, JUST ABOUT ANYONE is better.

ANTICIPATION is the mirror of DESIRE. I'm saying, specifically, this is a Not Right Want.

You know honest men aren't a dime a dozen.

YOU'RE telling ME?

Have you never gotten excited over the prospect of maybe finding one?

Sure. Like winning the Lottery. Lotteries and Honest Men exist. People DO win. I see them, even on TV. I'm WILLING to win. You have no doubt heard the Dumb Blonde joke, YOU HAVE TO BUY A TICKET. I occasionally buy a ticket. And when I DO, I absolutely CHECK to see if I won. I HOPE to win, I simply haven't.

No indeed, I have NEVER met the person -- myself included -- who is absolutely truthful all the time, without fail, no exceptions. You?

trey4sports
04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
I find the charge of NEPOTISM to be OVERRATED. It wasn't much of a problem for the KENNEDYS, so it shouldn't be a problem for the PAULS. At any rate, Rob is our BEST CHANCE at a decent SENATOR winning in TEXAS, something that would definitely SUPPORT our cause. POLLS have shown RON PAUL to have an easy VICTORY in the SENATE, but ROB can run instead on the same PLATFORM and get elected WITHOUT costing RON his POSITIONS IN HOUSE COMMITTEES.

whoh slow down, the early senate polls showed Ron neck and neck and i believe down 1 or 2 points which is a virtual tie but that's far from an "easy victory" still, i believe that Robert Paul is our best shot at winning a seat

Aratus
04-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Robert Paul could get up a Texas grassroots i do feel.
right now the race has a similar feel to what Rand Paul
had as Jim Bunning was getting more and more furious at
how the Senate ML had dried up his support. even though the
political scene can be said to be totally different in the two states
there is this gathering intensity where the honchos are about to
look around for someone to back. i think Robert has an empty
field in front of him equal to the one Rand had! i think that
Robert could possibly get up quite a bandwagon all told!

acptulsa
04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
No indeed, I have NEVER met the person -- myself included -- who is absolutely truthful all the time, without fail, no exceptions. You?

Sure. Poor guy didn't have a single friend in all the world. Felt sorry for him.

That said, I'm sure we've both come pretty close. Much too close for government work!

acptulsa
04-17-2011, 11:56 AM
You're right. I'm looking into Robert's philosophical foundations as we speak. When I arrive at my conclusion I'll let everyone here know.

Don't suppose you'd consider sharing your source in the meantime? Not that your opinion isn't pure gold or anything, but...

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Robert Paul could get up a Texas grassroots i do feel.
right now the race has a similar feel to what Rand Paul
had as Jim Bunning was getting more and more furious at
how the Senate ML had dried up his support. even though the
political scene can be said to be totally different in the two states
there is this gathering intensity where the honchos are about to
look around for someone to back. i think Robert has an empty
field in front of him equal to the one Rand had! i think that
Robert could possibly get up quite a bandwagon all told!

I observe no one objects to your LACK of capital letters.

Why do you suppose that is?

No capitals worked swell for e.e. cummings but all lower case is NOT generally accepted in formal correspondence or documents. Do you find it at all odd that Libertarians, plural, issue insulting reprimand for my using TOO MUCH CAPITALIZATION but NO remark on your use of NONE?

sailingaway
04-17-2011, 12:03 PM
I observe no one objects to your LACK of capital letters.

Why do you suppose that is?

No capitals worked swell for e.e. cummings but all lower case is NOT generally accepted in formal correspondence or documents. Do you find it at all odd that Libertarians, plural, issue insulting reprimand for my using TOO MUCH CAPITALIZATION but NO remark on your use of NONE?

Stylistically, I suspect it has more do do with yelling being more offensive and aggressive than whispering.

You are both welcome to your own capitalization, so long as I can get away with my own spelling....

Aratus
04-17-2011, 12:12 PM
i sometimes have done caps in a 1770s to 1830s anti-federalist manner
as i initially tried to mix a lil hunter thompson gonzo with jamie monroe's
moniker for the great debates around and near the JAY TREATY. i felt i
was mixing epochs and styles, and yes... i can be freeform or even longish
paragraphs that didst drive many to distraction and consternation all told...

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Stylistically, I suspect it has more do do with yelling being more offensive and aggressive than whispering.

. . . The Paul movement was able to win in Kentucky by brute force . . .

Sometimes shouting, sometimes "mere" differentiation. Sometimes a proper noun of renown.

As well, Twitter has no ITALICS function. Having grown accustomed to CAPITALS, it saves TIME in posting. In formal correspondence, italics are more numerous than capitals.

If it is difficult or irritating to distinguish the sentiment "underpinning" the capitals, EZPZ, don't read them -- I know YOU know what I'm saying.

You are both welcome to your own capitalization, so long as I can get away with my own spelling....

DEAL.

Live and let live.

Aratus
04-17-2011, 12:15 PM
methinks ole ben franklin would have loved us all here
for the way we discourse on the events of the day.
CAPs can be a way to HYPERLINK. at least we all hold
back from having Fs be Ss and EXACT 1700s prose!

acptulsa
04-17-2011, 12:18 PM
EXACT 1700s prose!

What'f the matter with eighteenth century profe and penmanfhip?

cheapseats
04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
i sometimes have done caps in a 1770s to 1830s anti-federalist manner
as i initially tried to mix a lil hunter thompson gonzo with jamie monroe's
moniker for the great debates around and near the JAY TREATY. i felt i
was mixing epochs and styles, and yes... i can be freeform or even longish
paragraphs that didst drive many to distraction and consternation all told...

But not HERE, surely? Not in the Liberty Moovement? Say it ain't so, that self-professed LIBERTARIANS have marginalized your input or ridiculed yourself based upon a more poetic (therefore, I would guess deeply felt) style of expression?

Aratus
04-17-2011, 12:24 PM
if i read it literally, i indeedy be sounding sorta
barney frank's immediate & close Kith & kin?
indeed methinks metaphysically & grandly
the 1600s prose most prosepoem political
and theoretical is our revolution true if we
be more land!lock'd than john locke all told!

Aratus
04-17-2011, 12:26 PM
What'f the matter with eighteenth
century profe and penmanfhip?

prosepoem or profepoem?
to prosepoem or to profepoem?

Matt Collins
04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
There are pictures here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?288909-Photos-amp-VIDEO-Robert-Paul-at-the-University-of-North-Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlIMzHvPgVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBBl6e8s5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siRBu8HDIOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTCbTEK0HeA