PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Delgado retires, should be remembered for being an excellent player + this

Feeding the Abscess
04-13-2011, 09:55 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5481503/

“It’s a very terrible thing that happened on Sept. 11. It’s (also) a terrible thing that happened in Afghanistan and Iraq,” Delgado said at the time. “I just feel so sad for the families that lost relatives and loved ones in the war.

“But I think it’s the stupidest war ever. Who are you fighting against? You’re just getting ambushed now. We have more people dead now after the war than during the war,” he said. “I don’t support what they do. It’s just stupid.”

Delgado, from Puerto Rico, also opposed the U.S. military’s longtime use of the Puerto Rican island of Vieques for weapons testing.

Delgado’s opinion became more well known to New York fans in a column in The New York Times on Wednesday. In it, he said, “It takes a man to stand up for what he believes.”

“I am not pro-war; I’m anti-war,” he said. “I’m for peace.”

muzzled dogg
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
that Vieques fiasco is a shitshow

AuH20
04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
King Carlos was always my boy. Toronto Blue Jays.

qh4dotcom
04-13-2011, 10:00 PM
King Carlos was always my boy. Toronto Blue Jays.
Is he an Obama supporter like most Puerto Ricans?

muzzled dogg
04-13-2011, 10:02 PM
probably, since he opposes the wars

AuH20
04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Is he an Obama supporter like most Puerto Ricans?

Probably. Identity politics plays a big factor as well.

TomtheTinker
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Delgado is def. one of my favorite players..hopefully he gets the nod for the hof.

nayjevin
04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
that man is good news for everybody but the opposing pitcher :)

devil21
04-14-2011, 03:33 AM
that Vieques fiasco is a shitshow

This is news to me. I vacationed in PR in an area called Vieques on the northeast corner of the island. Gonna have to research this more.

eta: That island is advertised as a tourist destination and has a ferry that carries visitors to the island to hang out for the day.

eta2: Delgado could hit another 30 homers to break 500 if he wanted to.

nayjevin
04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/emcala/guardrails/FanFury/CarlosCerrano.jpg
No player has ever looked more like Pedro Cerrano from Major League than Carlos Delgado.

aGameOfThrones
04-14-2011, 11:49 AM
This is news to me. I vacationed in PR in an area called Vieques on the northeast corner of the island. Gonna have to research this more.

eta: That island is advertised as a tourist destination and has a ferry that carries visitors to the island to hang out for the day.

eta2: Delgado could hit another 30 homers to break 500 if he wanted to.

Yeah, it's being develop for tourism since the Military seized bombing it.

devil21
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM

I found a CNN story about it and it sounds like the island itself should be closed down, not opened up!

KramerDSP
04-14-2011, 05:10 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/emcala/guardrails/FanFury/CarlosCerrano.jpg
No player has ever looked more like Pedro Cerrano from Major League than Carlos Delgado.

OT, but I was shocked to learn that Pedro Cerrano and President David Palmer are the same people. That floored me.

PBrady
04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Delgado had such a peculiar batting stance.

Also, I loved it how on sportscenter, one of the anchors would always say "Carlos Del...GOT IT" whenever they showed highlights of him hitting a home run.

dannno
04-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Do you mean ceased?