PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Impose a "Fat" Tax?

Anti Federalist
04-13-2011, 08:04 PM
I know this has been covered and I imagine I know where this poll will go, but I'm still curious.

Should there be a 'fat tax'?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/11/opinion/la-ed-obesity-20110411

(snip)

We prefer the approach most recently proposed in Arizona, where officials hope to levy a $50 annual fee on some Medicaid patients who don't take steps to improve their health. It is vague at this point how the proposal would work, who would be liable for the fee and under what circumstances; but some examples mentioned are obese patients who fail to follow their doctors' plans for losing weight, smokers who shun programs to help them quit the habit or certain diabetes patients who ignore medical advice on lifestyle changes that would improve their lab results.

sailingaway
04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't see the poll.

lx43
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Yes, but only if you are a parasite on the govt dole; otherwise, absolutely not.

Carehn
04-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Ya! Fuck the Fat! They only got that way by taking advantage of the thin.

Anti Federalist
04-13-2011, 08:56 PM
This is a dangerous road to head down.

As if "we" aren't already careening off a cliff as it is.

Yeah, and it's personal as well...I'm many things, but skinny aint one.

Agorism
04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
I voted yes but I was thinking of Paul's answer where he says he wants a flat tax, but he wants it to be really really flat like zero.

libertybrewcity
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
only if that fat tax is imposed on oneself

Anti Federalist
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I voted yes but I was thinking of Paul's answer where he says he wants a flat tax, but he wants it to be really really flat like zero.

FAT not FLAT

L:collins:L

lx43
04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
This is a dangerous road to head down.

As if "we" aren't already careening off a cliff as it is.

Yeah, and it's personal as well...I'm many things, but skinny aint one.

Your right, but I only want it for as a penalty fee for people who are on Medicaid, Medicare, etc if they are fat, smoke, etc.

Better yet, I say cut them off and forget about the fat tax. lol

Anti Federalist
04-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Your right, but I only want it for as a penalty fee for people who are on Medicaid, Medicare, etc if they are fat, smoke, etc.

Better yet, I say cut them off and forget about the fat tax. lol

How about a "black tax"?

Blacks, statistically, have more chronic health problems than whites.

See where this is going to go?

lx43
04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
How about a "black tax"?

Thats why I said instead of imposing a so called "fat tax" just drop them off the dole period.

Anti Federalist
04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Thats why I said instead of imposing a so called "fat tax" just drop them off the dole period.

Do away with the dole, yes.

But if there is going to be a dole, and it is going to paid by taxpayers, you cannot limit whole groups of people from accessing that "dole".

lx43
04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Why not?

Mini-Me
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, but only if you are a parasite on the govt dole; otherwise, absolutely not.

Oh, but now that it's working so well, we need to make it for EVERYONE to enjoy! ;)

Not just no but hell no. First, screw taxes. Second, it's their body, not the government's. Third, it's extremely dangerous for the state to use taxes for social engineering and behavioral modification. Fourth, good job alienating Barney Frank, fat tax pushers. Fifth, without fat people, we'll miss out on stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOCQmtuZt0

EDIT: Argh, I can't get my video to work.

Anti Federalist
04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Why not?

Judicial precedent.

The courts have held numerous times, that people have an equal right to access those facilities and services that the public's tax dollars pay for.

One of the reasons why driving is a right, not privilege.

guitarlifter
04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
I voted no, but, if the government were to do this, 1) I'd be furious. 2) Being an exercise science major about to graduate from college in May, I'd be interested to see how they would carry this out. Would it a fat person be measured by BMI? BF%? Circumferences? As a bodybuilder, I'm pretty lean, but I have a BMI of like 32 or 33. I'm considered stage 1 obese by these standards. I'd have to quit my sport and become a stick in order to comply to the "normal" range of 19-24.9 BMI.

Mini-Me
04-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I voted no, but, if the government were to do this, 1) I'd be furious. 2) Being an exercise science major about to graduate from college in May, I'd be interested to see how they would carry this out. Would it a fat person be measured by BMI? BF%? Circumferences? As a bodybuilder, I'm pretty lean, but I have a BMI of like 32 or 33. I'm considered stage 1 obese by these standards. I'd have to quit my sport and become a stick in order to comply to the "normal" range of 19-24.9 BMI.

Yes, we forgot to mention...having too much muscle presents a public safety risk, much like guns. You're going to need to be a frail stick...unless you want to be a real American hero cop trained in the use of your muscles, of course. ;)

heavenlyboy34
04-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh, but now that it's working so well, we need to make it for EVERYONE to enjoy! ;)

Not just no but hell no. First, screw taxes. Second, it's their body, not the government's. Third, it's extremely dangerous for the state to use taxes for social engineering and behavioral modification. Fourth, good job alienating Barney Frank, fat tax pushers. Fifth, without fat people, we'll miss out on stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOCQmtuZt0

EDIT: Argh, I can't get my video to work.

What'chu talkin 'bout, Willis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k&NR=1&feature=fvwp)? ;) lolz

Mini-Me
04-13-2011, 09:20 PM
What'chu talkin 'bout, Willis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k&NR=1&feature=fvwp)? ;) lolz

"It's funny because he's fat!"

lx43
04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Judicial precedent.

The courts have held numerous times, that people have an equal right to access those facilities and services that the public's tax dollars pay for.

One of the reasons why driving is a right, not privilege.

I just want it to make it so difficult to qualify for welfare that people would rather get real jobs. lol Maybe your right.

KevinR
04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Here's a good alternative: Give a small free mirror with the purchase of "unhealthy" foods. haha

jclay2
04-13-2011, 09:39 PM
How about a "black tax"?

Thats true. However, the real source of this conflict is the fact that the government provides these entitlements. If we are upset about a certain program costing more for a specific group, the solution is to end the program not allocate costs better.

Anti Federalist
04-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Thats true. However, the real source of this conflict is the fact that the government provides these entitlements. If we are upset about a certain program costing more for a specific group, the solution is to end the program not allocate costs better.

I agree, but of course that is not where all this is heading.

Sentient Void
04-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Ya! Fuck the Fat! They only got that way by taking advantage of the thin.

hahahah, icwudt