PDA

View Full Version : The New Male-Female Wage Gap: Women Make 8% MORE Than Men

FrankRep
04-13-2011, 07:33 PM
There Is No Male-Female Wage Gap (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704415104576250672504707048.html?m od=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read)
A study of single, childless urban workers between the ages of 22 and 30 found that women earned 8% more than men.

Carrie Lukas | Wall Street Journal
APRIL 12, 2011

Tuesday is Equal Pay Day—so dubbed by the National Committee for Pay Equity, which represents feminist groups including the National Organization for Women, Feminist Majority, the National Council of Women's Organizations and others. The day falls on April 12 because, according to feminist logic, women have to work that far into a calendar year before they earn what men already earned the year before.

Recent studies have shown that the wage gap shrinks—or even reverses—when relevant factors are taken into account and comparisons are made between men and women in similar circumstances. In a 2010 study of single, childless urban workers between the ages of 22 and 30, the research firm Reach Advisors found that women earned an average of 8% more than their male counterparts. Given that women are outpacing men in educational attainment, and that our economy is increasingly geared toward knowledge-based jobs, it makes sense that women's earnings are going up compared to men's.

Ms. Lukas is executive director of the Independent Women's Forum.

SOURCE:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704415104576250672504707048.html?m od=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

Fox McCloud
04-13-2011, 07:50 PM
And yet some feminists still claim we need more to make women "equal" in the workplace....ridiculous.

Brian4Liberty
04-13-2011, 08:14 PM
As I've said in other threads, woman tend to work in bureaucracies where there are less layoffs and less competition, and often higher pay. Men tend to be in the areas where "production" occurs, where layoffs and slow-downs are first and more common, and cheaper, imported labor results in surplus workers.

SWATH
04-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Almost every woman I know makes more than almost every man I know, I've noticed this for years.

jclay2
04-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I refuse to let this be true in my own circumstances. All the men in the world, unite and become more productive than our female counterparts! huzzah!

BamaAla
04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
A college friend of mine was facebook bitching about how women will never be equal in this country as long as "conservatives" are around. Maybe I need to forward this story to her.

Carehn
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Well i got the balls! And i make more then most people my age. Stupid collage bean counters.

When will kids learn that collage if for fat kids and suckers.

Seraphim
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Please do it.

A college friend of mine was facebook bitching about how women will never be equal in this country as long as "conservatives" are around. Maybe I need to forward this story to her.

Ray
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah, it's ridiculous. In my Human Resources textbook, they show the "women make 70% of what men make" statistic, but in the next sentence they say that however, recent studies have shown that after accounting for education and work experience, women make about 93% of what men make. IF THE OLD STATISTIC IS OUTDATED, WHY ARE YOU STILL USING IT?! Then in the next chapters, they only use the 70%, and my professor has only talked about the 70% in class.

libertybrewcity
04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Well you know what i think? I think we need some regulations so men can catch up. Discrimination of men is running rampant in this country. Malinists unite!

Carehn
04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Well you know what i think? I think we need some regulations so men can catch up. Discrimination of men is running rampant in this country. Malinists unite!

Yep, I'v had to put up with those female chauvinist bitches for most my life!

Look out world! I'm a Man watch them swing!

TheNcredibleEgg
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Has anyone ever questioned the benefits women get from Social Security/Medicare vs the benefits men get?

Last stat I saw showed woman live 6-8 yrs longer - and that's a whole lot of money - which (arguably) should mean that women should pay higher premiums than men for SSI and Medicare.

(Yes, I know it'll never happen - but just wondering if any woman's group who complain about unfair pay nowadays have ever addressed this issue.)

Philhelm
04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Let's not forget the social implications for men who make less than women, or are outright unemployed. Women, and society in general, tend to judge the males more harshly on such matters. Even if women were being paid slightly less, they enjoy many social benefits that men simply do not have.

jclay2
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Has anyone ever questioned the benefits women get from Social Security/Medicare vs the benefits men get?

Last stat I saw showed woman live 6-8 yrs longer - and that's a whole lot of money - which (arguably) should mean that women should pay higher premiums than men for SSI and Medicare.

(Yes, I know it'll never happen - but just wondering if any woman's group who complain about unfair pay nowadays have ever addressed this issue.)

Lol, good one.

IDefendThePlatform
04-13-2011, 09:41 PM

+1

Also, minorities who do not live as long get the shaft. Curious how that rarely gets mentioned....

NewRightLibertarian
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Look at how many men are imprisoned or in the 'justice' system vs. women as well. Women have it good here, and any type of excessive whining comes from the 'victim' complex that many of them have been programmed into believing.

Soca Taliban
04-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Considering that women work less hours than men, and in most cases they come with higher costs to the businesses that higher them, they've made more than men for a long time.

Fox McCloud
04-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Clearly we need to form a masculinist group and petition the government that we're now being oppressed by women and discriminated against since we're making a whopping 8% less than them, on average.

What's ridiculous is if you did that, even with statistics to back it up, you'd still be looked down upon....talk about the ultimate hypocrites.

awake
04-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Well for the equal-tarians to be consistant they need to reduce the 8 percent gap and now favor men in the workplace; to break through that pink glass ceiling. Fat chance, it only works one way.

Freedom 4 all
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
That settles it. Fuck university. Gonna work on my biceps and abs so that I can become a gold digging manwhore to wealthy women.:D

erowe1
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM
This wage gap isn't new. Women have been earning more than men for doing the same jobs for decades.

dannno
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
As I've said in other threads, woman tend to work in bureaucracies where there are less layoffs and less competition, and often higher pay. Men tend to be in the areas where "production" occurs, where layoffs and slow-downs are first and more common, and cheaper, imported labor results in surplus workers.

Surprisingly, the article discussed this to an extent..

MikeStanart
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
That settles it. Fuck university. Gonna work on my biceps and abs so that I can become a gold digging manwhore to wealthy women.:D

+1776!

We should start up a male gold digging support group. If we can get the Collins to join, we'll be golden!

:collins: :D :collins:

Mini-Me
04-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Let's not forget the social implications for men who make less than women, or are outright unemployed. Women, and society in general, tend to judge the males more harshly on such matters. Even if women were being paid slightly less, they enjoy many social benefits that men simply do not have.

This is one of the most important aspects of the issue. If a man cannot support his family or make more than a woman, he will have a hard time avoiding the harsh judgment that he is "weak" or less of a man...because people still judge with the assumption that men should outperform women, even while clamoring for equal pay. In addition, if a woman obtains a job over a man, the man is on his own, but if a man obtains a job over a woman, she will usually have a much bigger safety net to fall back upon without ridicule (husband, family, charity, and government). Discussions of pay inequality pretty much never take these things into consideration, which is a real shame.

Vessol
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM

QFT. There are still huge societal pressures for men to be the primary bread winners; an unemploymed man is a loser and a man who makes less than another man is worse off. The same societal pressures are not held against women.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching and saying its wrong. Just merely commenting.

ChaosControl
04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Childless women 22-30 are usually career nuts, is it any wonder they'd make more than men?

amy31416
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
In the opposite scenario (men making more than women for the same job, same time put in, same skills), is it fair to disparage all men for this "inequality?"

If not, try to avoid doing the same to women. I'm one of those women who worked their ass off in manufacturing/engineering and analytical chemistry--I worked harder than a hell of a lot of men who were paid more than me. Shall I sit back and whine about how much men suck because of it or work to correct it in the only circumstance that I have any control over--my own circumstances?

Roxi
04-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Clearly because we are at least 8% more awesome. Duh.

dannno
04-14-2011, 11:51 AM
In the opposite scenario (men making more than women for the same job, same time put in, same skills), is it fair to disparage all men for this "inequality?"

If not, try to avoid doing the same to women. I'm one of those women who worked their ass off in manufacturing/engineering and analytical chemistry--I worked harder than a hell of a lot of men who were paid more than me. Shall I sit back and whine about how much men suck because of it or work to correct it in the only circumstance that I have any control over--my own circumstances?

I think this thread is mostly filled with highlighting the hypocrisy that these feminists won't protest for equal pay for men. Also reasons why this statistic is true, which has little to do with your situation and more to do with a lot of women being involved in bureaucratic government jobs which are growing, and men being mostly involved in the productive sector which is shrinking.

Mini-Me
04-14-2011, 12:00 PM

I think you highlight a really important aspect of this issue that makes it so contentious: Whichever sex is making more is disparaged for having unfair advantages. This puts the people being disparaged defensive, because any gap one way or another is not their fault, and they worked for what they have. From my viewpoint, it's just galling that men are so disparaged for usually making more (the reversed gap in this thread used a cherrypicked population segment), when the reality is that feminists up in arms about it tend to have a lot more options.

It's one thing for someone to make no apologies for their advantages when attacked...but it's something else for someone to actively whitewash their advantages, constantly harp on their disadvantages, and incessantly demand a reversal of them, especially if they have it better overall. That's the kind of dishonest behavior coming from feminists that gets on my nerves. The thread title indulges in this too, so it's not just one-sided, but I focus on the feminists, since they're the ones with the momentum.

amy31416
04-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I think this thread is mostly filled with highlighting the hypocrisy that these feminists won't protest for equal pay for men. Also reasons why this statistic is true, which has little to do with your situation and more to do with a lot of women being involved in bureaucratic government jobs which are growing, and men being mostly involved in the productive sector which is shrinking.

Why would feminists do that? It's pretty naive to expect people with an agenda to be philosophically consistent--whether they're on your "side" or not. I wouldn't expect a group of "masculinists" to fight for anything for me.

And women, of course, are more involved in bureaucratic jobs--whether that's for corporations or the government, there are basic physical reasons for it. Unless you think that standards should be lowered to have more women in physically demanding jobs...also, women are not the reason that productive sector jobs are shrinking in this country.

There are still far more male politicians in this country than female: 75 congresswomen and 17 female senators.

amy31416
04-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I think you highlight a really important aspect of this issue that makes it so contentious: Whichever sex is making more is disparaged for having unfair advantages. This puts the people being disparaged defensive, because any gap one way or another is not their fault, and they worked for what they have. From my viewpoint, it's just galling that men are so disparaged for usually making more (the reversed gap in this thread used a cherrypicked population segment), when the reality is that feminists up in arms about it tend to have a lot more options.

It's one thing for someone to make no apologies for their advantages when attacked...but it's something else for someone to actively whitewash their advantages, constantly harp on their disadvantages, and incessantly demand a reversal of them, especially if they have it better overall. That's the kind of dishonest behavior coming from feminists that gets on my nerves. The thread title indulges in this too, so it's not just one-sided, but I focus on the feminists, since they're the ones with the momentum.

I couldn't agree more...feminists are the major problem in this issue--and feminists are not always women either. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the whole thing seems to have some loose "design" to it that most street-level feminists are probably not even cognizant of.

The men I worked with who had families were always in major panic mode when there were rounds of layoffs (and it happened frequently.) Women have many more socially acceptable options open--it happened to my father when he worked for GE, and my mother had to go back to work. You know who was hardest on him? Other men, including his own father. My mother never had any humiliating circumstances to deal with, aside from having an unemployed husband for a while...again, it was the men she worked with who made that difficult.

In this circumstance, it's certainly far more difficult to be male.

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2816/1/

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
The new cover of Newsweek, which is the worst kind of race baiting. Sorry, this downturn effects all men. White, Black, Hispanic, all are effected. The influx of cheaper, imported labor is almost exclusively male. White collar, blue collar, it doesn't matter. One exception may be nursing, where traditionally female jobs are effected.

http://www.coverjunkie.com/uploads/t_1303122133.jpg

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/04/17/dead-suit-walking.html