PDA

View Full Version : LAPD officers who complained about ticket quotas are awarded $2 million

doodle
04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I thought I had not got any traffic tickets lately due to better driving... had no idea traffic ticket quotas could be under scrutiny:

LAPD officers who complained about ticket quotas are awarded $2 million

The veteran motorcycle officers alleged in a lawsuit that they were punished with bogus performance reviews, threats of reassignment and other forms of harassment after objecting to demands from commanding officers that they write a certain number of tickets each day.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ticket-quotas-20110412,0,2790462.story

ihsv
04-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Hmmm... and who gets to pony up the $2 mil?

doodle
04-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Hmmm... and who gets to pony up the $2 mil?

Tax payers ofcourse.

Screwed one way or the other.

nobody's_hero
04-13-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm glad about the ticket quotas being nerfed, but two million dollars? Where can I sign up for one of these 'bogus performance reviews'?

blocks
04-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Cops complain they suffered from not over-harassing taxpayers,..They are vindicated...Result = taxpayers cough up 2 more million....logic?

newbitech
04-13-2011, 03:59 AM
"A jury awarded..."

I stopped reading the linked article right there.

What IS wrong with people?

acptulsa
04-13-2011, 05:12 AM
How is it that this never goes away? The principle of 'your job is not to manufacture crime' does not square with quotas, and it never, ever, ever has, and everyone knows it--hell, we're born knowing it. So, how does this keep happening over and over and over again from long before I was born?

I guess they want civilians and cops to be alienated from one another. Because the more revenue enhancement cops do, the lower they sink in the food chain in the public's eyes.

doodle
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
How is it that this never goes away? The principle of 'your job is not to manufacture crime' does not square with quotas, and it never, ever, ever has, and everyone knows it--hell, we're born knowing it. So, how does this keep happening over and over and over again from long before I was born?

I guess they want civilians and cops to be alienated from one another. Because the more revenue enhancement cops do, the lower they sink in the food chain in the public's eyes.

There's an old saying in Tennessee, I can say it better than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

TheNcredibleEgg
04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok, the people got us good today. They really showed us. So now we have an extra two million dollars to raise - that means your quota has been doubled for the rest of the year. And if any of you see fit to complain to the public about this new quota - well, then I'll just have to double it again and again - until everything is paid.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Police Chief