PDA

View Full Version : The 'War on Drugs' created Rap music...

RileyE104
04-12-2011, 08:56 PM
This just occurred to me.. Or am I wrong?

I also assume that it birthed great movies like Scarface.

thehighwaymanq
04-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Ummmm. I think you're on the right track. Overall, I believe government involvement led to rap music. Early Hip-Hop was a reflection on the surroundings of artists: horrible conditions of the projects (government program). And as it grew into a major movement speaking against what was happening to black people, and the racism and treatment of African Americans from cops and government. As hip hop got bigger and bigger it became focused on the Drug War and violence, in the 90's.

It has now completely turned against the Establishment and its all about sex. A few artists still have that original, anti-Establishment / anti-government message and actually rap about the conditions of their own cities and people in general. I wish it still had characterisitcs of the late 70's, 80's hip-hop.

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
highwaymanq, you may not realize it, but you just described the life cycle of jazz, folk, blues and rock as well. Just change the decades.

Sola_Fide
04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Rap music is the pedestrian, dumbed-down, and talentless rip off of blues and jazz.

John Lee Hooker is rolling over in his grave right now.

thehighwaymanq
04-12-2011, 09:37 PM
highwaymanq, you may not realize it, but you just described the life cycle of jazz, folk, blues and rock as well. Just change the decades.

Haha really? Thats fascinating. Is that the normal cycle of music, or what drives that transformation in all generes?

Rap music is the pedestrian, dumbed-down, and talentless rip off of blues and jazz.

Rap music is. Hip-hop isn't. Real hip-hop is a sonic fusion of great poetry and rough beats.