PDA

View Full Version : CNN Claims High Gas Prices Are "Good", Here's Why

dannno
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
1) People will eat less thus there will be less obesity.

2) States will receive more money in gas taxes thus the roads will improve.

3) Fewer people will be driving so there will be fewer fatalities.

:eek:

dannno
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Reminds me of this scene from Life of Brian..

"Always look on the bright side of life.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loyjm4SOa0

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 11:47 AM
And if BP' profits double, maybe they'll pay Gulf Coast residents a fraction of what they owe them. Seems every war has a silver lining--if you're an oil company.

TheNcredibleEgg
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Well, by gawd, put that way - I am convinced.

Let's just do QEinfinity and really jack prices up - then this country will be a utopia.

gls
04-12-2011, 12:01 PM

What kind of logic is that? Wouldn't higher gas prices mean fewer gallons sold, resulting in less tax money coming in? I also have my doubt that most gas taxes are used for road maintenance. Connecticut has the highest gas tax in the nation (which is soon to be increased :rolleyes:) and our roads are terrible.

Anti Federalist
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
What kind of logic is that? Wouldn't higher gas prices mean fewer gallons sold, resulting in less tax money coming in? I also have my doubt that most gas taxes are used for road maintenance. Connecticut has the highest gas tax in the nation (which is soon to be increased :rolleyes:) and our roads are terrible.

Yes, everything ^^^

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
What kind of logic is that? Wouldn't higher gas prices mean fewer gallons sold, resulting in less tax money coming in?

Yes they would indeed. But since gas taxes are a percentage of the total sale, money won't drop much in terms of the basic number of dollars. Of course, CNN is unlikely to mention that the dollars will be worth less due to the corresponding rise in the cost of everything under the sun, including road repair...

dean.engelhardt
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
1) people will eat less thus there will be less obesity.

huh?

Zippyjuan
04-12-2011, 12:52 PM
If you want to reduce reliance on foreign oil imports it is a good thing. Higher prices are leading to reduced consumption and higher prices means that alternatives become more attractive.

Mini-Me
04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
If you want to reduce reliance on foreign oil imports it is a good thing. Higher prices are leading to reduced consumption and higher prices means that alternatives become more attractive.

In the long run, I tend to agree. It's still painful in the short term though, and it doesn't exactly help that it's happening with so much else on our plate (but it's no coincidence, so we could chalk it up as inevitable). CNN's reasons are still ridiculous though. ;)

dannno
04-12-2011, 01:14 PM

I would be willing to pay more for domestic oil if we ended our overseas empire. I'm not down to pay $5 a gallon for god damn oil from the middle east that I already paid the military with my tax money to go steal for the big oil companies (not that I wanted to do that, but my point is you pay out of your ass for gas on both ends in the situation we're in)

freshjiva
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM

You should know better than to actually use logic to respond to these claims.

TheNcredibleEgg
04-12-2011, 01:28 PM
I would be willing to pay more for domestic oil if we ended our overseas empire. I'm not down to pay $5 a gallon for god damn oil from the middle east that I already paid the military with my tax money to go steal for the big oil companies (not that I wanted to do that, but my point is you pay out of your ass for gas on both ends in the situation we're in)

I don't accept the argument that we'd have to pay more in the United States for MidEast oil if we ended the empire.

Oil is still a product that the MiddleEast has to sell to the world - even if the empire was not protecting them. They could not just arbitrarily charge more if there was no military presence over there - no matter who controlled the oil over there. The market would not pay it and would look for alternatives or cut back or combination thereof.

So end the empire AND pay the same for gas. Win - tie.

dannno
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't accept the argument that we'd have to pay more in the United States for MidEast oil if we ended the empire.

Oil is still a product that the MiddleEast has to sell to the world - even if the empire was not protecting them. They could not just arbitrarily charge more if there was no military presence over there - no matter who controlled the oil over there. The market would not pay it and would look for alternatives or cut back or combination thereof.

So end the empire AND pay the same for gas. Win - tie.

Ya, I agree, you would have more countries nationalizing oil, but really that would mostly just cut into the profits for the oil companies I think, and not make a huge difference in the price we see over here, especially if we are also drilling.

Philhelm
04-12-2011, 02:32 PM

What the fuck?! Seriously, where the fuck do they find these stupid fucking people to come up with this shit? I really can't take it anymore. I'm having a bad day. I can't take it...I just can't take it.

Grubb556
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
1) So basically CNN favors that people kill themselves by not eating
2) No because there will probably be less people buying gas, not to mention the state with probably say something like "since less people are driving, road don't need to be improved"
3) More people driving equals more congestion = slower speeds = safer roads.

Magsec
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh goodie, newly paved roads that no one but the few who can afford it can drive on....

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm having a bad day. I can't take it...I just can't take it.

I think I may presume you don't personally have the fat to lose? Well, that's what you get for not having the one-size-fits-all metabolism CNN requires of you.

ItsTime
04-12-2011, 02:41 PM
DNN whats new? They "carry Obama's water" all the time.

Jack Bauer
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Ridiculous notion.

High housing prices are good.

High gas prices are good.

Keith and stuff
04-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I think IL taxes a percentage of the price of gas. So IL may get extra money from gas taxes. However, most states just have a certain tax on a gallon of gas and they will get less gas taxes as people buy less gallons.

Zippyjuan
04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

We don't have enough domestic oil to end imports. We want to use more oil than we have which is why we have to import it (proves US reserves come to about three years worth of domestic consumption). Of our Top Five sources for imported oil, only one is in the Middle East- Saudi Arabia at #3. Canada is #1 and Mexico #2.
Then comes Nigeria, Venezuela, and Iraq #6. Canada provides us with more than twice the oil Saudi Arabia does. (these are crude oil imports- in total petroleum imports Iraq drops to #8). http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

dannno
04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
We don't have enough domestic oil to end imports.

That's an assumption, but even if true, importing oil doesn't require militarizing the area we want to get oil from. If we can get oil for $50/barrel from the middle east and $80/barrel domestically, then we should just buy it from the middle east. If it costs $150/barrel for oil from the middle east, then we should drill as much oil domestically as possible and use the middle east to fill in.

My main point was that not only do we pay for oil at the pump, but we pay for it through taxes to militarize those areas, so it is more expensive than we think.