PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Senate passes Arizona-style anti-immigration bill

aGameOfThrones
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
(Reuters) - The Georgia Senate passed an Arizona-style immigration bill late Monday after removing one of the measure's toughest components.

The legislation would give police authority to question suspects about their immigration status.

But state senators stripped out a requirement for many private employers to check the immigration status of newly-hired employees on a federal database called E-Verify.

The E-Verify requirement is the "guts" of the state House of Representatives bill, said Phil Kent, spokesman for the Virginia-based nonprofit Americans for Immigration Control.

Kent predicted that the Georgia House will restore that requirement, and a final bill will clear the legislature later this week.

"We think the prospects are good," he said on Tuesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/12/us-immigration-georgia-idUSTRE73B3YD20110412

Humanae Libertas
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
So much for limited-government.

nobody's_hero
04-12-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't know if it's going to help much that my state wants to use a Federal database. I know the Fed.gov's track-record on record-keeping, which means they track the folks who aren't doing anything wrong, and ignore the ones who are.

heavenlyboy34
04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
That isn't really "Arizona style". It's (so far) been kept a state issue down here, except for attempts to put Arizona National Guardsmen on the border. (AFAIK)

specsaregood
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't know if it's going to help much that my state wants to use a Federal database. I know the Fed.gov's track-record on record-keeping, which means they track the folks who aren't doing anything wrong, and ignore the ones who are.

IIRC, there was a raid at a popular hispanic grocery chain in AZ last year. and about half of the illegals passed the e-verify check with flying colors.

nobody's_hero
04-12-2011, 12:41 PM
IIRC, there was a raid at a popular hispanic grocery chain in AZ last year. and about half of the illegals passed the e-verify check with flying colors.

See, I don't agree with that, because it sounds like they were checked without probable cause. I'm against that as much as I'm against drag-net road blocks.