PDA

View Full Version : Trump tied for first nationally in GOP horserace

RonPaulFanInGA
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/cnn-poll-trump-tied-for-first-in-gop-horserace/

Washington (CNN) - Donald Trump is now tied with Mike Huckabee for first place when Republicans are asked who they support for the GOP presidential nomination in 2012, according to a new national poll.

(snip)

Twelve percent say they'd support former Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, who was the party's 2008 vice presidential nominee, with 11 percent backing former Massachusetts Gov. and 2008 White House hopeful Mitt Romney and the same amount supporting former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. Seven percent say they are backing Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, another 2008 presidential candidate, with five percent supporting Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, who enjoys strong backing from many in the Tea Party movement. Everyone else registers in the low single digits.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone, with 824 people questioned. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Anyone worry the 'Buchananites' that supported Ron Paul in 2008 might bail for a candidate like Donald Trump; who's willing to stand up to China on trade and is seen as truly viable?

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Anyone worry the 'Buchananites' that supported Ron Paul in 2008 might bail for a candidate like Donald Trump who's willing to stand up to China and is really viable?

No. The moron came out and threatened to run third party/independent if he didn't get the nomination. This has never been the way to endear yourself to Republican primary voters.

Stick a fork in him. He's already fired.

SamuraisWisdom
04-12-2011, 10:36 AM
No. The moron came out and threatened to run third party/independent if he didn't get the nomination. This has never been the way to endear yourself to Republican primary voters.

Stick a fork in him. He's already fired.

I wouldn't be so sure. And really, we should be supporting people like Trump who want to run for president. He's what the Tea Party is all about, just an average guy (who's done really well in business) who's had nothing to do with politics his whole life stepping up for what he thinks is right. Whether or not you agree with his positions is another thing, but at least support the effort.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LLKQWR_DAPY/Sah5eBi_k-I/AAAAAAAAAnk/NUYJjN5TR0M/s200/bk_song.jpg

WilliamC
04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
He has the power of name recognition, which is much of what his popularity is about.

It remains to be seen if he has any staying power.

I agree that Trump is better than the status quo we have now though, so while I won't support him I won't begrudge those who do as many of them are likely to be newcomers to the process.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:41 AM
We're going to look back at this and wonder why Rand wasn't running. This is a weak weak weak field. If his dad hadn't been destroyed by the media, he could have taken this field as well.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:42 AM
He has the power of name recognition, which is much of what his popularity is about.

It remains to be seen if he has any staying power.

I agree that Trump is better than the status quo we have now though, so while I won't support him I won't begrudge those who do as many of them are likely to be newcomers to the process.

I can't imagine why people would think anything positive of someone who will say anything for attention. He's an attention whore, is all.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:43 AM
We're going to look back at this and wonder why Rand wasn't running. This is a weak weak weak field. If his dad hadn't been destroyed by the media, he could have taken this field as well.

Ron is not 'a weak field.'

WilliamC

I think Rand is wise to get a bit more experience as Senator first.

Obama was a fluke, it is unlikely that someone with so little experience will be considered for President again.

IMO of course.

AuH20
Ron is not 'a weak field.'

I'm saying the GOP field is pathetic. It's horrible. Look at the group.

SamuraisWisdom
04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm saying the GOP field is pathetic. It's horrible. Look at the group.

Agreed. I think Rand should have run instead of Ron, much better chance of him winning.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Agreed. I think Rand should have run instead of Ron, much better chance of him winning.

Only with some people, many of whom have a different first choice. And only because they think he 'isn't really one of us' which I believe they are wrong about. There are those who support Ron who don't support Rand, as well.

In any event. I'm sure we'll have a chance with Rand, down line.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:49 AM

In some ways, Ron is too good for the American population. He's been warning them for decades about their hedonistic habits and reliance on the state, but they in turn just mocked him as a crazy man from a bygone era. I see that Ron is at the end of the line. He's 76. He doesn't have the edge he once had that voters are attracted to (see Trump). Rand is the future. He has all of dad's strengths, without some of his weaknesses that the media exploits to no end.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:50 AM
In some ways, Ron is too good for the American population. He's been warning them for decades about their hedonistic habits and reliance on the state, but they in turn just mocked him as a crazy man from a bygone era. I see that Ron is at the end of the line. He's 76. He doesn't have the edge he once had that voters are attracted to (see Trump). Rand is the future. He as all of dad's strengths without his weaknesses.

do you honestly think you have input on which of them will run? Or do you just not like Ron and want to undermine his race?

AdamT
04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
We are so doomed.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
do you honestly think you have input on which of them will run? Or do you just not like Ron and want to undermine his race?

I want to win. That's all I'm concerned about. If Ron could win, I'd choose Ron. I just think there are too many things aligned against him.

SamuraisWisdom
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
I want to win. That's all I'm concerned about. If Ron could win, I'd choose Ron. I just think there are too many things aligned against him.

I think you're right. He's only polling in the high single digits even with excellent name recognition, the 2008 race, and everything that's happened to the country since then. I want him to win as much as anybody and will put in an effort to help make that happen, but the odds are pretty long.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
I think you're right. He's only polling in the high single digits even with excellent name recognition, the 2008 race, and everything that's happened to the country since then. I want him to win as much as anybody and will put in an effort to help make that happen, but the odds are pretty long.

I think you are dividing people making it less likely either will win.

ChristianAnarchist
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Rand will not run if Ron does and Ron is the better candidate. There is no one who has Ron's consistent 30 year history of voting strictly for freedom and sound economics. Rand is a great guy, but I really don't know if he would be as consistent as his father. He's making a great start though...

Brett85
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Honestly, there's many of us who almost entirely agree with Ron on the issues, but realistically he doesn't have any chance to win at all. That's not a slam against Ron, but it's simply a realization that Ron is passed his prime. I think Ron would have a good chance to win if he was 56 years old. But I do hope that he enters the race at least to spread the message of liberty in the debates.

SamuraisWisdom
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM

I'm just speaking the facts. It has nothing to do with dividing people or pushing an agenda, it's just the truth.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Sometimes the truth hurts. It almost sounds sacrilegious to criticize the one who brought you to the dance so to speak. But Ron is polling at only 5% in freaking Iowa. Meanwhile, a week or two ago Rand gave a speech in Iowa, that the Iowa republicans were absolutely raving about. Rand for whatever reason has struck a chord and created a buzz.

ChristianAnarchist
04-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Honestly, there's many of us who almost entirely agree with Ron on the issues, but realistically he doesn't have any chance to win at all. That's not a slam against Ron, but it's simply a realization that Ron is passed his prime. I think Ron would have a good chance to win if he was 56 years old. But I do hope that he enters the race at least to spread the message of liberty in the debates.

Ron has something that is priceless: Wisdom. It comes with his age and experience dealing with the crooks in D.C. Rand does not have that and he cannot have that. I'll take a 76 year old Ron (who has the heath of someone 20 years younger) over any younger man...

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I think you are wrong. I don't think it is the truth. However, I am not going to diss either Ron or Rand, both of whom I think are terrific. They are going to decide shortly. We will not decide. I will support whomever runs so long as it is Ron's choice.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
///

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Rand created a buzz by saying what his father says but not being his father. So, they can admit they were wrong without ever admitting they were wrong, and they like that. I'd rather have the father because he's the one who has created a buzz among the people we need to woo for the general election. But, of course, if Republicans are incapable of admitting they were wrong (and I do know that many of them are) then we need whomever can get into the general and we'll just have to make do I guess. Just depends on if Republicans want to win or not.

The first debate will tell us lots and lots of things we do not yet know. And I see no sign that the final decision will be made before then.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM
I think you are wrong. I don't think it is the truth. However, I am not going to diss either Ron or Rand, both of whom I think are terrific. They are going to decide shortly. We will not decide. I will support whomever runs so long as it is Ron's choice.

I don't think we're dissing him. I think we're simply picking the stronger horse in this environment. Rand can run the mile and a half. lol The new face has a huge advantage.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
The new face is an advantage until the new attacks come out and I think Ron is more practiced at handling those, and you know whichever one of them runs will have PLENTY of need to handle those. I like Rand. I'm more confident of Ron, because he has a record. However, I'm leaving this thread because I will support Rand if Ron decides on his own not to run. I'm not pissed at Rand, I'm pissed at two or three people here raising this 'one over the other' point ad nauseum when it does nothing constructive and quite a bit, in my opinion, that is destructive to enthusiasm and to people coming together to support a candidate.

Romulus
04-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Sometimes I become jaded, and think that Ron is too good for the dumbed down, idiotic American people...

AuH20
04-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Sometimes I become jaded, and think that Ron is too good for the dumbed down, idiotic American people...

He is. They don't deserve him.

SamuraisWisdom
04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Ron has something that is priceless: Wisdom. It comes with his age and experience dealing with the crooks in D.C. Rand does not have that and he cannot have that. I'll take a 76 year old Ron (who has the heath of someone 20 years younger) over any younger man...

I have to disagree CA, Rand is an extremely smart person. I'd go as far to say even moreso than his father only because he's able to uphold the principles of liberty while coming up with solutions to current problems that many can agree upon. It's easy to cast a 'no' vote when you believe in minimal government interference like Ron does, but sometimes it's more important to draft bills that steer the country in the direction you want to take it. As an example, Rand introduced a $500b spending cut bill to address the deficit problem. It didn't solve the problem, but it was certainly more productive than just casting a 'no' vote on every budget bill. That just highlights the difference between Rand and Ron. When you vote for Ron you are voting for an idea, but when you vote for Rand you vote for the idea as well as policy. That's why he's much more approachable than Ron.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
The new face is an advantage until the new attacks come out and I think Ron is more practiced at handling those, and you know whichever one of them runs will have PLENTY of need to handle those. I like Rand. I'm more confident of Ron, because he has a record.

But they used nearly all their ammo in the scorched earth campaign conducted in Kentucky. It would all be telegraphed.

- Aqua Buddha
- Civil Rights Act
- Questionable Credentials as an eye doctor.

The usual stuff.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I have to disagree CA, Rand is an extremely smart person. I'd go as far to say even moreso than his father only because he's able to uphold the principles of liberty while coming up with solutions to current problems that many can agree upon. It's easy to cast a 'no' vote when you believe in minimal government interference like Ron does, but sometimes it's more important to draft bills that steer the country in the direction you want to take it. As an example, Rand introduced a $500b spending cut bill to address the deficit problem. It didn't solve the problem, but it was certainly more productive than just casting a 'no' vote on every budget bill. That just highlights the difference between Rand and Ron. When you vote for Ron you are voting for an idea, but when you vote for Rand you vote for the idea as well as policy. That's why he's much more approachable than Ron.

Rand seems to be more of a policy wonk than his Dad. The father is more philosophical though.

Chieppa1
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
The establishment is underestimating the public this time. And when things continue to get worse leading up to the election, and Trump has NOTHING to say, people will lose interest. He's just good TV right now. I feel that Americans would feel embarrassed to have him as president.

SamuraisWisdom
Rand seems to be more of a policy wonk than his Dad. The father is more philosophical though.

That's exactly what I was getting at.

Original_Intent
Trump is uniquely qualified to run the country, as he has already overseen two bankruptcies and came out all right.

The fact that this joke is even being seriously considered as a candidate is a sad commentary on our nation.

SamuraisWisdom
04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
The establishment is underestimating the public this time. And when things continue to get worse leading up to the election, and Trump has NOTHING to say, people will lose interest. He's just good TV right now. I feel that Americans would feel embarrassed to have him as president.

We'll see. I think we should give him a chance in the debates first before passing judgment.

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 11:17 AM
We'll see. I think we should give him a chance in the debates first before passing judgment.

Suit yourself. I prefer a candidate who stands on his record. And Trump's record is quicksand.

randolphfuller
04-12-2011, 11:18 AM
This 2012 election was supposed to be winnable by Ron because the economy would be so bad that people would turn to a man who predicted it and appeared to be knowledgeable about economics. The economy continues to slowly improve and a feeling of desperation has not set in as yet among the populace. I agree these things are on the way but 2012 does not seem to be the year.

fatjohn
04-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Okay, I made my decision. If you ask me Rand should run.

The reason?

The MSM main talking point will be about hair. The donald versus mighty mitt. Between Ron and Rand, it is Rand that has the most intriguing hairdo.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to laugh with humanity for a while.

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 11:33 AM
The MSM main talking point will be about hair. The donald versus mighty mitt. Between Ron and Rand, it is Rand that has the most intriguing hairdo.

Say, I think you're onto something here. I know voters don't tend to appreciate a change of 'do, but Ron has been so consistent and principled for so long, and so little has changed in most ways, maybe a new 'do would be just the ticket. Certain Republicans might forget they hate him. I've seen some liberal commentators who would have their best arguments defeated by such a move. And if he sticks a little brown shoe polish in there, he'll look more like Reagan (or, at least, more like he did in that photo of him shaking Reagan's hand).

RonPaulFanInGA
04-12-2011, 09:44 PM
The fact that this joke is even being seriously considered as a candidate is a sad commentary on our nation.

How is Trump any more of a joke than McCain/Obama in 2008? Or Bush/Kerry in 2004?

Aratus
04-13-2011, 08:35 AM
for donald trump to be at the top of the polls,
the mainstream of the GOP has no charisma
person to rally around. this could push ron paul
up in front of the voters purely on the issues.

Southron
04-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Trump has populist appeal and excellent name recognition. You don't hear anyone else talking about threatening tariffs on China. I'm not surprised he is polling well right now.