PDA

View Full Version : 1 Senator to Definitely Fillibuster Debt Ceilling. Are they talking about our Randy?

AuH20
04-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Please Rand. For the love of god, strike a blow for all those who are disenfranchised.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/12/senator-to-filibuster-lifting-of-debt-ceiling-unless-balanced-budget-amendment-added-to-constitution/

On Mark Levin’s Monday night radio show an unnamed guest, who Levin told his listeners he verified as a Senate staffer, said at least one senator is going to filibuster efforts to lift the debt ceiling, unless a constitutional amendment mandating a balanced budget is added.

“I just wanted to tell you the strategy of the senator I’m proud of – is to filibuster any attempt to raise the debt ceiling unless there is balanced budget amendment passed to the Constitution,” he said.

The staffer encouraged Levin’s listeners to support the measure.

“Everybody in America who is listening, and I know your show is widely listened to, needs to get behind the balanced budget amendment or our country will go no further,” he said.

MRoCkEd
04-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Mike Lee said he would.

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Don't think so. Think it's Mike Lee, for no particular reason.

And it's Randall, not Randolph. As a person who pays attention because I have some Randolphs in the family, I've never encountered a Randall who went by Randy. For what it's worth.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Mike Lee said he would.

this^^

It only takes one. I think they are taking turns being the thorn.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
There is no way Obama signs a bill with this balanced budget language:

The conservative talker offered his interpretation of the current proposal offered by some Republicans.

“What does this amendment do?” Levin said. “Let me give you the brief version – it requires supermajority votes to raise taxes above the GDP limit. I’m not sure what they finally settled on. I think it was 18, 19 percent that the government can take out of the economy. Now it’s 25 percent and going north. So this amendment is crucial. There are a couple others that I would like to see but this is basically an amendment that was the brainchild of the great late Milton Friedman. And it would really but controls on the extent to which the federal government can spend and grow. Rand Paul’s behind it. Marco Rubio’s behind it. Orrin Hatch, Kyl and others have led the way on this and it’s absolutely crucial. So I agree. What are they going to do in the House? I don’t know. They don’t have a strategy in the House. I believe we were told off the air, I don’t remember that some of those senators are prepared to filibuster to get this done.”

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Don't think so. Think it's Mike Lee, for no particular reason.

And it's Randall, not Randolph. As a person who pays attention because I have some Randolphs in the family, I've never encountered a Randall who went by Randy. For what it's worth.

I know it's Randall. I was just having some fun. Apparently, his wife shortened it because she didn't like the alternatives, including Randy. Maybe as the Rand legend grows maybe someone can weave his tale into Barry Manilow's "Mandy." LOL Kinda like this Randy Moss mockjob somebody did a couple years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7ipVezSEk

WilliamC
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm not entirely clear on the fillibuster process but isn't it most effective when there are at least two Senators, and preferably three, who are in cahoots?

That way they can spell each other and shut down the Senate for a long time, instead of a day or so.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm not entirely clear on the fillibuster process but isn't it most effective when there are at least two Senators, and preferably three, who are in cahoots?

That way they can spell each other and shut down the Senate for a long time, instead of a day or so.

I believe so. From what I hear, they have 4 or 5 in the stead.

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
It'll get stopped by supermajority. The question is, what happens to the Republicans who help shut them up?

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:24 AM
It'll get stopped by supermajority. The question is, what happens to the Republicans who help shut them up?

Good question. Also, did you know that the president sent JPM CEO Jamie Dimon to scare the more bolder Republicans in the Congress?

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:27 AM

No, the filibuster is no longer speaking to shut down the Senate, it is placing a hold on the bill that can only be overcome by a cloture vote of 60 Senators rather than a simple majority. I am sure Rand will vote against cloture, supporting the filibuster, but he doesn't have to be the one who filibusters (places the hold) because it only takes one.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Good question. Also, did you know that the president sent JPM CEO Jamie Dimon to scare the more bolder Republicans in the Congress?

I'm sure he just terrified Rand.

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Always suspected Dimon was a terrorist.

AuH20
04-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Even if we don't win, we have the opportunity to force incumbents to figuratively slice their own throats by either (a) voting for cloture or (b) voting 'YES'. It's simply a minefield littered with unavoidable obstacles. This could be the new TARP in terms of flushing out RINOs.

low preference guy
04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I think this is a great move for Mike Lee, if he fulfills his promise. He will become famous for filibustering the increase of the debt ceiling. That guarantees that no challenger ever will be able to say that he is more fiscally conservative than Mike Lee.

low preference guy
04-12-2011, 12:08 PM
There is no way Obama signs a bill with this balanced budget language:

Fine, best of luck to Mr. Obama for the rest of his term where he won't be able to borrow money.

RideTheDirt
04-12-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm sure he just terrified Rand.
rofl

AuH20
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
America you simply don't know the machinations you're meddling with when you rail against the debt ceiling. Let the sociopathic terrorists take care of this issue since they have proved in the past that they have OUR BEST INTERESTS at heart:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/columns/off-to-the-races/charlie-cook-once-more-into-the-breach-20110411

It’s clear that President Obama and congressional leaders of both parties as well as opinion leaders of all stripes have an enormous amount of educating to do. The public seems to see raising the debt ceiling as being a question of whether we should go further into debt or not, even when it is explained to them.

It would be interesting to see how the public would have responded if it had been made clear that Social Security and veterans’ checks wouldn’t be going out, that the government’s credit rating would drop, and that the implications for Medicare and Medicaid would be enormous.

Can we get an assurance that this won't happen anyway, Mr. Cook?

AuH20
04-12-2011, 12:48 PM
http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/03/the-truth-about-the-debt-ceili

Matt Collins
04-12-2011, 08:45 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/155607-rand-paul-considering-filibuster-of-budget-deal