PDA

View Full Version : What's a good fact based book I can read on the Civil War?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I've read some books and articles on the Civil War, some taking the stance that the War was fought to end slavery and save black people. Im not naive so I know there is a lot of revisionist history going on there. Usually those writers are pro federal govt, big govt lovers. At the same time I've read a lot that argue that the war was fought over states rights and tariffs, and usually the writers are pro state's rights anti-govt types.

I would like to read a book with no spin to it, just str8 up facts from documentation, witness account, statistics, etc. It seems like everyone wants to put their own spin on it, and I just want to know the truth. Any suggestions?

iamse7en
04-12-2011, 09:44 AM
If you read a book "with no spin to it, just str8 up facts from documentation, witness account, statistics, etc," it will be an academic book that will leave out important documentation, witness accounts, statistics to try and lie to you about Lincoln and the Civil War. Every book will have spin to it, it may be best to read one on each side of the argument. But if you only have time for one, check out DiLorenzo's book (http://www.amazon.com/Real-Lincoln-Abraham-Agenda-Unnecessary/dp/0761526463/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302622794&sr=8-1).

bwlibertyman
04-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I enjoyed "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas DiLorenzo. It's definitely biased but I would say it was accurate.

Krugerrand
04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
I've read some books and articles on the Civil War, some taking the stance that the War was fought to end slavery and save black people. Im not naive so I know there is a lot of revisionist history going on there. Usually those writers are pro federal govt, big govt lovers. At the same time I've read a lot that argue that the war was fought over states rights and tariffs, and usually the writers are pro state's rights anti-govt types.

I would like to read a book with no spin to it, just str8 up facts from documentation, witness account, statistics, etc. It seems like everyone wants to put their own spin on it, and I just want to know the truth. Any suggestions?

Don't forget ... not everybody would have had the same motivations at the time. Some people probably did fight to end slavery and save black people. Some people did fight because of state's rights and tariffs.

LibertyEagle
04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Message this guy and ask him. He practically has a PhD. on the Civil War. lol jdmyprez_deo_vindice

Pericles
04-12-2011, 09:59 AM
The Story of the Confederacy by Robert S. Henry is an excellent one volume read - and what makes the book exceptional, is that the author was not a professional historian, but a business executive who studied history as a hobby, and also wrote what I would consider to be the best book written on the Mexican War. Both books are heavily footnoted, so you can follow up on any point of interest in more detail.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys, Im in the library now. Keep 'em coming.

WilliamC
04-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Try "The Politically Incorrect Guide To The Civil War"

http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-Civil-Guides/dp/1596985496/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302625017&sr=1-6

Travlyr
04-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Blood Money: The Civil War and the Federal Reserve by John Remington Graham