PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland councilman looking to ban all outdoor smoking and trans fats in food.

Anti Federalist
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Interesting that the "slippery slope" argument is not only acknowledged, but applauded as a good thing.

Yeah, only a matter of time now...

Cleveland councilman proposes ban on smoking in public places, using trans fats

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/04/cleveland_councilman_proposes.html#incart_mce

(snip)

Bernie Sokolowski said his family has cut back on the use of trans fat at Sokolowski's University Inn in Tremont, substituting butter for margarine in some recipes and frying foods in canola oil.

Sokolowski said that while his restaurant will comply if the legislation is approved, he sees this as another example of intrusive government regulation.

"People have enough problems trying to make a dollar in this city, then you have stuff coming out like this," Sokolowski said. "Everything's being regulated. When's 1984 really going to happen?"

Cimperman acknowledged that the two ordinances would be viewed as yet another attempt by a "nanny state" to control people's lives. He countered that some people opposed government regulations that required people to use set belts in their cars.

"Talk to millions of people who still have parents because they were wearing seat belts when they got into an accident," Cimperman said. "I would say that was probably a good thing for us to do."

(Who the fuck is "us", exactly? - AF)

aGameOfThrones
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
"Talk to millions of people who still have parents because they were wearing seat belts when they got into an accident," Cimperman said. "I would say that was probably a good thing for us to do."

(Who the fuck is "us", exactly? - AF)

I don't wear a seatbelt because government tells me to... I wear one because the annoying sound in my car won't stop for 30 seconds if don't. And to be honest, it might save my life, too.

Anti Federalist
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't wear a seatbelt because government tells me to... I wear one because the annoying sound in my car won't stop for 30 seconds if don't. And to be honest, it might save my life, too.

Which only goes to show how effective "changing the culture" as government likes to call it, can be with regard to gaining "compliance".