PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd (ESPN radio) gives shout out to Ron Paul

BlackTerrel
04-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I listen to a lot of sports talk radio – was listening this morning to Colin Cowherd on ESPN and he was talking about how every industry had their legends but that doesn’t mean those are the guys you have to follow. Paraphrasing “In sports your legends are Montana and Jordan but I preferred Jerome Bettis and Kevin Durant… in comedy the gold standard is Jim Belushi, Bill Cosby, or George Carlin but I laugh more at Norm MacDonald… and in politics the Mount Rushmore of the modern error is JFK and Ronald Reagan but I prefer someone like Ron Paul”.

He then again went on a riff and said “you don’t have as good a product without the Jerome Bettises, Norm MacDonalds and Ron Pauls of the world.”

I like listening to Cowherd because he’s a smart guy who likes to look at sports from a different angle than what I usually get. He’s not a political guy but kind of cool to see Ron Paul thrown out in just every day conversation – clearly with the implication that his audience knows who he is. This would not have been in the case in 2008.

acptulsa
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Sweet. Not that it makes me like Joe Montana any less. But it sure is as good a plug as Rep. Paul has gotten for a long time, both in its sincerity and because it reaches to a more apolitical audience.

IDefendThePlatform
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
I've always liked Cowherd, but I might have to tune him in a little more often now.

Here's his show website and email, if anyone wants to send him a thank you. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=theherd

theherd@espnradio.com

Verrater
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
kind of an about face from this:
http://www.dailypaul.com/92841/espn-radio-host-mocks-ron-paul

nobody's_hero
04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I think you meant to say 'modern era', not 'modern error.' If he actually said 'modern error', I don't think he was giving a compliment, lol. :p

nayjevin
04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Ron Paul's more like Jim Thorpe. One of the greatest to ever live, but rarely mentioned.

Galileo Galilei
04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Ron is more like Tim Duncan; the best, but under-publicized.

acptulsa
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Ron Paul's more like Jim Thorpe. One of the greatest to ever live, but rarely mentioned.

It's neither what you know nor what you accomplish, but whether or not they embarass themselves opposing you?

Chieppa1
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I've heard her rant about Capitalism and the stupid "everyone's a winner" that rules American culture. I knew I liked this guy.

Chieppa1
04-11-2011, 11:54 AM
kind of an about face from this:
http://www.dailypaul.com/92841/espn-radio-host-mocks-ron-paul

If you listen to him daily, he's the type of dude who would do independent research. I could see this as him ACTUALLY figuring it out and catching on.

shocker315
04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I heard him this morning too. I like Cowherd at times...but he also mentioned this (paraphrasing),

" We need interesting people in sports, kinda like Ron Paul in politics. He is different... he makes you think about things....but I wouldn't necessarily want him as President."

Sounds to me Cowherd may be just waking up...so he's not quite ready to fully face reality. But at least he spoke of Paul in a reasonably positive light, and Cowherd has millions of listeners.

surf
04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
i'd rather his cute cohost on Sports Nation (Michelle?) talk up Ron....

Maximus
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Every bit helps.

Feeding the Abscess
04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
He was using Ron in the same context as Jose Canseco and Dennis Rodman. It wasn't a positive plug.

Cowherd is a joke, he takes the mainstream opinion on almost everything and somehow manages to make it sound like he's taking controversial stances. I'm surprised Ron Paul dudes would like such an establishment hack.

iamse7en
04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Cowherd is an idiot. Nice to see RP get a shout out though, even if he did say he wouldn't want him as president.

Fredom101
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
I can't believe he's not a fan of George Carlin!?!?!??!??!!!

pahs1994
04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Yea Michelle Beadle is the only reason i watch Sportsnation. I have always found Colin kinda annoying. But maybe i should go a little easier on him from now on... :)

IDefendThePlatform
04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Maybe a barrage of friendly but informative emails is in order?

Feeding the Abscess
04-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe a barrage of friendly but informative emails is in order?

Cowherd isn't worth it.

IDefendThePlatform
04-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Cowherd isn't worth it.

Ahh, but if he mentions it on the air again, maybe even tomorrow, it would be tens of thousands of dollars of free publicity. And by his language it sounds like he is giving us a chance to make our case. ("not sure if I'd want him to be president.....")

Koz
04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I can't stand Cowherd, he thinks he is a lot smarter than he actually is and contradicts himself all the time. I do like that he threw RP out there though.

ARealConservative
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
He was using Ron in the same context as Jose Canseco and Dennis Rodman. It wasn't a positive plug.

Cowherd is a joke, he takes the mainstream opinion on almost everything and somehow manages to make it sound like he's taking controversial stances. I'm surprised Ron Paul dudes would like such an establishment hack.

maybe Self-deprecation?

BlackTerrel
04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I heard him this morning too. I like Cowherd at times...but he also mentioned this (paraphrasing),

" We need interesting people in sports, kinda like Ron Paul in politics. He is different... he makes you think about things....but I wouldn't necessarily want him as President."

Sounds to me Cowherd may be just waking up...so he's not quite ready to fully face reality. But at least he spoke of Paul in a reasonably positive light, and Cowherd has millions of listeners.

Ahhhh I missed that part. Only got it for a few minutes and then had to get in to a meeting. Still not bad though.

Agorism
04-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Michelle Beadle has a very interesting personality. She's fun to watch.

Agorism
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
So is Jim Rome a Paul fan as well?

BlackTerrel
10-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Heard him on yesterday's podcast talking about how in this day and age you need to be good on TV to succeed. And even a good product isn't received well if it doesn't have an image that works well on TV. Was comparing baseball to football. Then says this:

"Things move faster. You can't succeed without TV. Ron Paul has the best policies, but he's not good on TV. You know who's good on TV? Obama. Mitt Romney. They look good. They speak well. They're good on TV. That's what sells."