PDA

View Full Version : Explaining my sole "NO" vote on HB 149 'To Make Terrorism A State Offense'

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2011, 09:55 AM
http://ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011&BillID=H149

Why would I vote "NO" on 'Terrorism as a State offense?'

The language of the bill unfortunately allowed the accusation of terrorism to be levied without the component of violence, or threat of violence. A "continuing criminal enterprise" could be used instead of violence to assert a charge of terrorism, making someone a 'terrorist' even if they never did any violence, threatened violence, or property destruction at all. At a loose interpretation, a 'continuing criminal enterprise' could be frequent jaywalking.

Taking it ad-ridiculum, someone who jaywalked several times a day for several days in a row for the purposes of protesting a given government policy could be charged with "terrorism."

Most of my colleagues trust the justice system not to pursue charges so stupid, but then most in government trusted the FBI to not abuse the USA PATRIOT Act. I did suggest one simple change to the bill that would have allowed me to vote "Yes," and that was to require 'violent coercion' or 'coercion through threats of violence' as the component instead of merely a 'continuing criminal enterprise,' but the bill sponsor was worried that it had already been watered down too much, so that change never happened.

acptulsa
04-10-2011, 09:57 AM
If they consider 'making it sane' to be 'watering it down', then water it down properly. Piss on it.

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks acptulsa, the responses on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/glenbradley) have been encouraging. :)

liberalnurse
04-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Following in the good Doctor's footsteps, eh?:)

acptulsa
04-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Give him credit for being his own man. He isn't Dr. No, he's Sgt. No!

Working Poor
04-10-2011, 11:37 AM
If they consider 'making it sane' to be 'watering it down', then water it down properly. Piss on it.

You got me acptulsa HA HA! :D

devil21
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Continuing criminal enterprise is basically just organized crime or RICO law violations. I agree that such conduct should not fall under terrorism laws.