PDA

View Full Version : Marine who promoted anti suicide measure kills himself in Texas.

Anti Federalist
04-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Just another casualty of war, just more "collateral damage".

Sad and infuriating at the same time.

War casualty on the home front

A poster boy for suicide prevention, Houstonian becomes another statistic

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7513640.html

By LINDSAY WISE
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
April 9, 2011, 7:15AM

Marine veteran Clay Hunt had a tattoo on his arm that quoted Lord of the Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien: "Not all those who wander are lost."

"I think he was a lot more philosophical about life than a lot of us are, but trying to search for some inner peace and the meaning of life, what was the most important thing," said his father, Stacy Hunt.

His son's quest ended last week when he took his own life at his Sugar Land apartment.

The 28-year-old had narrowly escaped death in Iraq four years ago, when a sniper's bullet missed his head by inches. But he wrestled with post-traumatic stress disorder and survivor's guilt over the deaths of four friends in his platoon who weren't so lucky.

"Two were lost in Iraq, and the other two were killed in Afghanistan," said his mother, Susan Selke. "When that last one in Afghanistan went down, it just undid him."

In many ways, Hunt's death is all too familiar: the haunted veteran consumed by a war he can't stop fighting.

Suicides among Texans younger than 35 who served in the military jumped from 47 in 2006 to 66 in 2009 — an increase of 40 percent, according to state records.

The problem seems increasingly intractable. Efforts by the Pentagon and Department of Veterans Affairs to stop the alarming rise in military suicides nationwide through training and screening have had limited success.

'He tried everything'

Hunt's suicide was baffling to friends and family, but not because he hid his struggle or failed to get help. It baffled them because he faced it, head-on, leading from the front like any good Marine.

Hunt had become a poster boy for suicide prevention. He appeared in an award-winning public service campaign to encourage returning veterans who feel isolated to reach out to their peers for help.

Ekrub
04-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Sad shit right there.

Aratus
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
yes...

acptulsa
04-10-2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsjgaGPU-PY

nate895
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
This war needed to stop yesterday. And our churches need to be at the forefront of opposing this insanity. If they won't, they're going to destroy American Evangelicalism like WWI did to European Christianity, for the same exact reasons.

doodle
04-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Very sad.

BlackTerrel
04-10-2011, 01:20 PM
RIP although I usually have more anger than sympathy for those that take their own life. These things aren't easy but I know plenty of friends and family who served and none of them took their own life. I'd be angry if they did.

Suicides among Texans younger than 35 who served in the military jumped from 47 in 2006 to 66 in 2009 — an increase of 40 percent, according to state records.

66 out of how many? And how many non-military take their life?

lynnf
04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
RIP although I usually have more anger than sympathy for those that take their own life. These things aren't easy but I know plenty of friends and family who served and none of them took their own life. I'd be angry if they did.

66 out of how many? And how many non-military take their life?

everyone's situation is different, everyone's tolerance is different. I used to think survivor's guilt was the silliest thing in the world -- until it happened to me. I may not agree with what this guy did, but it doesn't lower my sympathy for him and his family one millimeter.

this must be a good reason for the old saying: "walk a mile in MY shoes"

Kregisen
04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Sad.....good to know these wars keep going with no end in sight.

TruckinMike
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Sad shit right there.

Whats really sad is that many of the Tea Party folks will never get that. So it will continue ad infinitum.

AFPVet
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
This happens all too often... troops are afraid to get help because of the fear of being stigmatized. We all have low points in our lives but if we don't at least talk to a friend, co-worker or even supervisors about things, low times could turn into a serious matter.

Theocrat
04-10-2011, 05:59 PM
As sad as it is that our soldiers and veterans are killing themselves because of the horrors of war, that is not the reason why we should stop our intervention overseas. We should end our foreign occupations and entanglements because they are not in accordance with the laws of our land, nor do they have anything to do with protecting us nationally in the preservation of our rights.

My prayers go out to that Marine's family. As one who struggled intensely with suicide in my own life, I know what he must have been going through in his mind.

BlackTerrel
04-10-2011, 08:31 PM
everyone's situation is different, everyone's tolerance is different. I used to think survivor's guilt was the silliest thing in the world -- until it happened to me. I may not agree with what this guy did, but it doesn't lower my sympathy for him and his family one millimeter.

this must be a good reason for the old saying: "walk a mile in MY shoes"

I have sympathy for his family. I do look at suicide as a coward's way out. Yes he went through some tough shit - a lot of people do. It's tough when your girlfriend/wife cheats on you, it's tough when a family member passes away, it's tough when you never knew your dad and it's tough when your mom goes to prison etc.... At the end of the day you can either keep trucking or take the cowards way out.

acptulsa
04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I have sympathy for his family. I do look at suicide as a coward's way out. Yes he went through some tough shit - a lot of people do. It's tough when your girlfriend/wife cheats on you, it's tough when a family member passes away, it's tough when you never knew your dad and it's tough when your mom goes to prison etc.... At the end of the day you can either keep trucking or take the cowards way out.

Yeah, well, the really joyous thing is we're giving so many the opportunity to deal with all of that and have vivid nightmares of remembered death as icing for the cake. And a sprinkle of PTSD for lagniappe.

BlackTerrel
04-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, well, the really joyous thing is we're giving so many the opportunity to deal with all of that and have vivid nightmares of remembered death as icing for the cake. And a sprinkle of PTSD for lagniappe.

This I agree with. It's a fucked up situation and I want our people back.

jmdrake
04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
This war needed to stop yesterday. And our churches need to be at the forefront of opposing this insanity. If they won't, they're going to destroy American Evangelicalism like WWI did to European Christianity, for the same exact reasons.

This is part of an email I sent to the local "Eagle forum" president in opposition to a "Sharia/terrorism" bill she supported.

Anyway, you seem determined to push this through, just like the Patriot Act was pushed through and the disastrous war in Iraq was pushed through. The war in Iraq turned out to be devastating to the Christians of Iraq who were afforded at least some protection from Tariq Aziz, but now have to live under a Shiite Islamic Republic thanks to unwise decisions from well meaning American Christians. I hope the American Christian community doesn't become the means of its own undoing, digging a pit for others that we end up falling in ourselves.

I think that plea will fall on deaf ears, but I had to send it.