PDA

View Full Version : MI - Cops shoot family dog while creeping around in back yard on an unrelated case.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
New one, just last night.

9 April 2011

Owners Distraught Over Shooting of Dog

Kalamazoo officers responded to the 100 Block of West Dutton to search for a suspect, when they fatally shot a dog.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/fox17-kalamazoo-officers-fatally-shoot-dog-20110408,0,2145546.story

KALAMAZOO— Police in Kalamazoo say an officer felt threatened Friday night, when a one year old pit bull was released into a backyard at a home on West Vine Avenue around 8 p.m. The officer shot the dog four times, according to the owners, killing her.

Kalamazoo Public Safety officers were tracking a suspect in the area of West Dutton and West Vine. The officers were checking the backyard and garage of a house, when the Morris family let Dot, a one year old pitt bull dog, out, unaware of the officer's presence. According to a police report, the dog aggressively charged one of the officers.

"We had no warning police were back there," Tara Morris told FOX 17 News. She cringed and fought back tears as she showed the spot where Dot died from the gunshot wounds.

Tara's husband, Charles Morris, was still reeling this morning. "She was laying here, still wagging her tail," Charles said. He says Dot was a friendly dog who never bit anyone, and believes she was excited, not attacking the officer.

The officer told superiors that he believed the dog was going to attack, and had no choice but to fire his weapon.

RideTheDirt
04-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Your posts always get me mad as hell!
+rep

pcosmar
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
People should be shooting trespassers.

KevinR
04-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Can anyone find statistics on the number of dogs killed annually by the police? That would surely be eye-opening for many...

Dr.3D
04-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Poor dog.... the police had no business entering that yard without a search warrant.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Poor dog.... the police had no business entering that yard without a search warrant.

A what?

Search War-Rent?

acptulsa
04-09-2011, 03:28 PM

You don't need one if you saw a culprit go in. Of course, if the cop had actually seen the culprit go into this yard, the dog would have eaten the culprit. Which means it was the cop who was the culprit; obviously the cop saw no such thing.

Try to convince a judge of this...

heavenlyboy34
04-09-2011, 03:29 PM
This cop is either dumb as fucking rocks or just evil. :mad: If he's so afraid of dogs, he shouldn't be running through people's yards (where dogs are commonly kept), yes?

mczerone
04-09-2011, 03:29 PM
So what is to be done about it?

The cops are obviously lying, and why could they have not just tasered the damn dog if it was an actual threat?

I hope that the officer who shot the dog is tormented with years of misery and regret.

heavenlyboy34
04-09-2011, 03:31 PM
You don't need one if you saw a culprit go in. Of course, if the cop had actually seen the culprit go into this yard, the dog would have eaten the culprit. Which means it was the cop who was the culprit; obviously the cop saw no such thing.

Can you cite the law that says this?

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Or a hand picked jury that will, in 96 percent of cases, vote guilty.

Your average jury of idiots these days would vote to send a ham sandwich to death row.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Can you cite the law that says this?

Oh god, it's all over case law, hang on a sec.

Here you go:

There are four main circumstances in which a warrant is not required for police to search your house:

1. Consent. If the person who is in control of the property consents to the search without being coerced or tricked into doing so, a search without a warrant is valid. Note that police do not have to tell you that you have the right to refuse a search, but you do. Also, note that if you have a roommate, he or she can consent to a search of the common areas of your dwelling (kitchen, living room), but not to your private areas (bedroom, for instance). On the other hand, the Supreme Court recently ruled that one spouse cannot consent to the search of a house on behalf of the other.

2. Plain View. If a police officer already has the right to be on your property and sees contraband or evidence of a crime that is clearly visible, that object may be lawfully seized and used as evidence. For example, if the police are in your house on a domestic violence call and see marijuana plants on the windowsill, the plants can be seized as evidence.

3. Search Incident to Arrest. If you are being arrested in your house, police officers may search for weapons or other accomplices to protect their safety (known as a "protective sweep"), or they may otherwise search to prevent the destruction of evidence.

4. Exigent Circumstances. This exception refers to emergency situations where the process of getting a valid search warrant could compromise public safety or could lead to a loss of evidence. This encompasses instances of "hot pursuit" in which a suspect is about to escape. A recent California Supreme Court decision ruled that police may enter a DUI suspect's home without a warrant on the basis of the theory that important evidence, namely the suspect's blood alcohol level, may be lost otherwise.

http://www.legalzoom.com/everyday-law/home-leisure/can-police-search-your

Now, of course, the issuance of warrants is just a "rubber stamp" procedure anymore, just about any cop can approach any judge to get a warrant for anybody, regardless of 4th Amendment restrictions.

And then, of course, there are the feds, who just don't seem to bother at all with warrants anymore.

Reading further in this article, there's this really bad advice:

So what should you do if the police show up at your house "just wanting to look around?" It's not in your best interest to deny them access because there may be extenuating circumstances that you don't know about; you certainly don't want to risk physical injury or being charged with interfering with a police investigation when you didn't have anything to hide in the first place.
Bad, bad, bad advice.

These dipshits would probably tell you to cooperate in an investigation as well.

Oh well, that's what this is for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

jct74
04-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm just wondering, don't all cops carry some non-lethal weapon like pepper spray or a tazer, or just some of them do? Anyone have any idea?

AFPVet
04-09-2011, 03:47 PM
The key word in the legal realm is 'reasonable'. What is reasonable? What a regular person would deem to be....

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
The key word in the legal realm is 'reasonable'. What is reasonable? What a regular person would deem to be....

And it's oh so easy to stand that on it's head...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies".

pcosmar
04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm just wondering, don't all cops carry some non-lethal weapon like pepper spray or a tazer, or just some of them do? Anyone have any idea?

Yeah, but they use that on man eating sabertooth baby squirrels.

Dr.3D
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah, but they use that on man eating sabertooth baby squirrels.

Like the offspring of this nasty varmint?
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://surferjerry.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/tiger-squirrel.jpg&imgrefurl=http://surferjerry.com/creatures/ultra-rare-tiger-squirrel/&h=412&w=550&sz=220&tbnid=DFpi79hGnX0qjM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=133&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtiger%2Bsquirrel%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3 Du&zoom=1&q=tiger+squirrel&usg=__wRTA3O-Xxc7HxkL6sRL1ssnDRTg=&sa=X&ei=cNWgTbuTBoPt0gHNqsGSBQ&ved=0CCEQ9QEwAg

AFPVet
04-09-2011, 04:04 PM
And it's oh so easy to stand that on it's head...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies".

This is unfortunately true. There is no longer reason which is defined by the public... rather the state.

daviddee
04-09-2011, 04:08 PM

AGRP
04-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Something tells me that a citizen would wind up dead if they shot a police dog.

pcosmar
04-09-2011, 04:18 PM
It happens because it is tolerated.
If it was not tolerated it would end.

simple and sad as that.

:(

heavenlyboy34
04-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Oh god, it's all over case law, hang on a sec.

Here you go:

http://www.legalzoom.com/everyday-law/home-leisure/can-police-search-your

Now, of course, the issuance of warrants is just a "rubber stamp" procedure anymore, just about any cop can approach any judge to get a warrant for anybody, regardless of 4th Amendment restrictions.

And then, of course, there are the feds, who just don't seem to bother at all with warrants anymore.

Reading further in this article, there's this really bad advice:

Bad, bad, bad advice.

These dipshits would probably tell you to cooperate in an investigation as well.

Oh well, that's what this is for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Thanks, AF. But this part of the OP story-Kalamazoo Public Safety officers were tracking a suspect in the area of West Dutton and West Vine. The officers were checking the backyard and garage of a house, when the Morris family let Dot, a one year old pitt bull dog, out, unaware of the officer's presence. According to a police report, the dog aggressively charged one of the officers.

gives me the impression that these cops weren't in any sort of "hot pursuit" that would give them just cause to roam onto private property. It sounds like they were just nosing around where they thought the suspect may be. Am I reading that incorrectly?

daviddee
04-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 09:00 PM
gives me the impression that these cops weren't in any sort of "hot pursuit" that would give them just cause to roam onto private property. It sounds like they were just nosing around where they thought the suspect may be. Am I reading that incorrectly?

I'm sure you are, reading it correctly that is.

The fact is, that is most likely what they were doing.

And you know what? They don't give a shit. They've got a gun, and badge and a uniform, which means they can kick your ass for no reason, shoot your dog, confiscate your property or blow you away like lint, and not think twice about it.

That's the reality, law and Bill of Rights and the just-us system notwithstanding.

It's why I'm freaking out over these stories, because it seems to me that some internal Rubicon has been crossed, and the police state is now, officially here.

Carehn
04-09-2011, 09:41 PM
It's why I'm freaking out over these stories, because it seems to me that some internal Rubicon has been crossed, and the police state is now, officially here.

I know what you mean. If it was only a bad cop like once every other year or so i could almost deal with it. It every day some cop kills some kid or dog or says something about needing to protect me. Just yesterday on the radio a news brake was talking about TSA and the word precautionary came up like 5 times. I realized i hate that word now. Not because anything is wrong with precaution or the sound makes me ill. No, its because my ... brain, soul, instinct, or what ever now associates that word with the loss of freedom. The crap is getting so obtrusive in all mediums and real life.

Iv never been into God or religions and stuff but that thing about eyes and not seeing and ears and all is starting to flippen pop out at me more and more. Like why the hell is every one just standing there, just standing with no expression or care toward anything that happens at all.

What ever. Some times it just gets to me. How do you find out about all this stuff anyway man. Google?

manny229
04-09-2011, 09:47 PM
It seems to me most cops are just itching for an excuse to use their gun, be it on an animal or a human, it makes no difference to them. In contrast the man who tackled Congresswoman Giffords shooter never fired a shot. That's bravery.

AFPVet
04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
It seems to me most cops are just itching for an excuse to use their gun, be it on an animal or a human, it makes no difference to them. In contrast the man who tackled Congresswoman Giffords shooter never fired a shot. That's bravery.

It truly is bravery.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I know what you mean. If it was only a bad cop like once every other year or so i could almost deal with it. It every day some cop kills some kid or dog or says something about needing to protect me. Just yesterday on the radio a news brake was talking about TSA and the word precautionary came up like 5 times. I realized i hate that word now. Not because anything is wrong with precaution or the sound makes me ill. No, its because my ... brain, soul, instinct, or what ever now associates that word with the loss of freedom. The crap is getting so obtrusive in all mediums and real life.

What ever. Some times it just gets to me. How do you find out about all this stuff anyway man. Google?

Words I have come to loathe:

Safety
Security
Compliance
Surveillance
Homeland

I use a number of sources, including google news.

The last one I posted was pulled from InfoWars.

doodle
04-12-2011, 12:55 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375962/Police-officers-called-fake-911-return-drunk-womans-house-rape-her.html

cindy25
04-12-2011, 05:18 AM
what would have happened if the home owner had shot the trespasser/murderer?