PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney to SKIP first GOP debate

TNforPaul45
04-09-2011, 05:29 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/52827.html

The South Carolina Republican Party on Friday released a list of expected participants for the May 5 debate it's holding with Fox News — and Romney, the party’s nominal front-runner, is conspicuously absent. Newt Gingrich, Tim Pawlenty, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, and Buddy Roemer are all expected to debate in Greenville, S.C. Pawlenty, Roemer and Herman Cain have all formed presidential exploratory committees.

South Carolina GOP site:

http://scgop.com/first-gop-debate-expected-to-draw-wide-range-of-candidates/

Looks like Romney is going to sit back and see what he is up against. . .

IDefendThePlatform
04-09-2011, 06:49 AM
He's trying to marginalize the candidates who participate in this debate. It's probably a good strategy on his part, since he is the frontrunner.

Also, he knows he'd get his ass handed to him by Dr. Paul.

ItsTime
04-09-2011, 06:50 AM
I've said this in a few threads. Mitt "I Like Mandates" Romney has peaked (or there about), he knows it, the second he opens his mouth is when he gets a 3 or three point boost then a fall of 10 or 15 points from the point he announces to election. If I were him I would announce late and not debate for awhile.

Aratus
04-09-2011, 07:09 AM
that there bad x~mas card nastily plagarizingly mailed
from columbia in 2008 now hath these 2012 echoes???

Cowlesy
04-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I bet Rick Santorum will be absolutely vicious. That guy is the consummate dickhead.

zerosdontcount
04-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Palin still not really running a campaign, eh?

Gage
04-09-2011, 07:53 AM
That doesn't mean that he will not participate. He has simply yet to confirm their invitation, along with several other leading candidates.

There is still a chance he could participate, though I doubt he would want to.

sailingaway
04-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Huckabee won't be there either. Ron was the first big candidate to announce and immediately Gingrich and Pawlenty did, but who cares? People are ready to start seeing debates. Let Ron frame the issues. Fine by me.

sailingaway
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
I bet Rick Santorum will be absolutely vicious. That guy is the consummate dickhead.

yeah, he was even a dickhead to Rand when he had never met him, just based on what he and Cheney think of Ron's foreign policy. It was a funny article in a way, his saying how great he 'was sure' Grayson was (whom he had never met) over Rand (whom he had never met...)

Jeremy
04-09-2011, 08:08 AM
That doesn't mean that he will not participate. He has simply yet to confirm their invitation, along with several other leading candidates.

There is still a chance he could participate, though I doubt he would want to.

^ ^ ^ This

acptulsa
04-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Time enough to get pwned. Let him waste some of his daddy's money first.

Matt Collins
04-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Hmmm if Romney doesn't show up then Newt may drop out too. That's ok though, that simply means more speaking time for Ron and hopefully Gary Johnson.

Koz
04-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Romney would do well to skip all the debates, seriously.

specsaregood
04-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Lest he open his mouth like he did October 9, 2007:

ROMNEY: It's everybody's job. It's inexcusable that Michigan is undergoing a one-state recession, that the rest of the country is growing and seeing low levels of unemployment, but Michigan is seeing ongoing, high levels of unemployment, almost twice the national rate.

Yeah, real effing fortune teller with his hands on the pulse of the nations economy.

Edit: I for one would love to see Mitt's answer contrasted with Dr. Pauls answer timestamped and put into a political ad.

PAUL: ...Today, this country is in the middle of a recession for a lot of people. Michigan knows about it. Poor people know about it. The middle class knows about it. Wall Street doesn't know about it. Washington, D.C., doesn't know about it.

Nathan Hale
04-09-2011, 07:50 PM
It's good that Romney's going to sit this one out. Back in '07 the other candidates ran train on Thompson for not showing at a debate after it was clear he was running, Mitt will likely get the same treatment.

low preference guy
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't think Romney will win even if the shows up. It seems to me the election will come down to a battle between Ron and Newt, provided that Newt runs.

QueenB4Liberty
04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
lol wow this is going to be interesting. Ron Paul is the only person I'm familiar with.

Matt Collins
04-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't think Romney will win even if the shows up. It seems to me the election will come down to a battle between Ron and Newt, provided that Newt runs.
Don't underestimate Huckabee.

libertybrewcity
04-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Palin is like a viper waiting to jump and snap. She is lying low to make the announcement the biggest thing since diet coke. I predict Huckabee won't run because he knows he can't win important swing states. Romney has lots to lose because he is front, and when other candidates attack him on stage, he loses. Gary Johnson probably won't be invited to the debates.

Everyone needs to buy debate tickets now. If the room stands up and cheers for RP's views on foreign policy, the nation will stand up and cheer with them.

anaconda
04-09-2011, 10:13 PM

This might actually work in his interests.

anaconda
04-09-2011, 10:16 PM
And it seems possible that all of the participants in this first debate will not have officially announced. Seems weird.

libertybrewcity
04-09-2011, 10:50 PM
This might actually work in his interests.

for a while..

IDefendThePlatform
04-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Everyone needs to buy debate tickets now. If the room stands up and cheers for RP's views on foreign policy, the nation will stand up and cheer with them.

+1

Perception becomes reality.

Aratus
04-10-2011, 11:10 AM
is mitt romney about to party switch if
the GOP goes towards anyone else? up
here local Democrats just sent him a big
nice card! he is always a centrist all told.

Liberty_Mike
04-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Any word if they will let Gary Johnson participate in this debate?

acptulsa
04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Any word if they will let Gary Johnson participate in this debate?

Up to him. Costs twenty-five grand and an 'exploratory committee'.

devil21
04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
For 2008 there was something like 12 people in the first debate? Seems like we will be lucky to get 7 people running for real this time around.

Qdog
04-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Good! I hope Romney skips ALL the debates. He is boring, and redundant. I cant stand to listen to the moron. The least they can do is give us fresh morons for Ron to destroy in the debates. (it keeps things interesting!)

Kludge
04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
He's trying to marginalize the candidates who participate in this debate. It's probably a good strategy on his part, since he is the frontrunner.
Seems like a pretty sound plan. Let the potential "burst-out" candidates marginalize themselves by showcasing themselves as kooks in a small-player-only debate. Poisons perception by letting those candidates play by themselves in a kiddy box. I wonder if it'd be effective to further that strategy by getting a debate set up where only the "major players" (establishment candidates) debate.

Consider when corporations set up committees to create standards for parts. If the big players sit out, it doesn't matter what the little corporations talk about and decide because nobody of significance will adopt their standard. The industry leaders can design an inferior (even proprietary so the leaders earn royalty fees) standard and still "win" simply because they're the ones making the majority of sales and news.

zerosdontcount
04-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Those who do well in the debate won't be marginalized though and get a lot of media attention.

Kludge
04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Those who do well in the debate won't be marginalized though and get a lot of media attention.
Why would the media bother covering a bunch of nobodies? That would be poor for ratings.

zerosdontcount
04-10-2011, 08:36 PM
It is the first GOP debate, the media will definitely be there..

awake
04-10-2011, 08:40 PM
His magic side burns won't save him from the glorious paddle of stupidity that he is about to get accosted with. Ron Paul!

HarryBrowneLives
04-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Maybe Romney will skip the whole election:p

acptulsa
04-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Maybe he'll be riding through the Big Dig and one of those heavy tiles will fall on him.

Nathan Hale
04-11-2011, 06:13 PM
the media won't skip over the first debate of the season. If it was debate #4 or 5, perhaps (remember the PBS debate from last year?).

Cleaner44
04-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Why would an author and speaker run a campaign? She does not need that distraction, plus it will only serve to kill her golden goose.

Nathan Hale
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I'm willing to wager that Palin is not going to run in 08, on one condition. She'll drop in with a Fred Thompson style runup if no clear leader emerges in the field by September.

R3volutionJedi
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Wait, so is Romney going to be in the 1st debate now?????

Kludge
04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
He has still not confirmed.

Aratus
04-12-2011, 07:20 AM
if the may fifth debate has nobody else other than representative ron paul, newt gingrich
and tim pawlenty being inside the same, and if ex-gov mitt romney runs as aggressively
as he did in 2008, could the S.C debate frame the contest as either/or in terms of ron paul
and mitt romney given that pawlenty is basically veep material? lets ignor newt gingrich.

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 07:30 AM

He announced an exploratory committee, and that's one of the requirements to get in that debate. So, I don't believe the smart money would bet against that possibility.

I suppose he thinks being on stage with Newt, Trump and Paul will make him look oh, so conventional and oh, so safe and electible. I think he'll be as invisible as Wonder Bread on a white plate.

sailingaway
04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
He announced an exploratory committee, and that's one of the requirements to get in that debate. So, I don't believe the smart money would bet against that possibility.

I suppose he thinks being on stage with Newt, Trump and Paul will make him look oh, so conventional and oh, so safe and electible. I think he'll be as invisible as Wonder Bread on a white plate.

Didn't Newt just say he WASN'T going to be at the debate?

OK, now I can't find the thread, but I thought I'd answered one where someone said that he wasn't going.... I'm going to google it.

this says he is highly unlikely to because he isn't at the point of having an exploratory committee http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/Gingrich-highly-unlikely-in-first-debate-1333222.php

Still, if Romney goes, he might change his mind....

but 'team gingrich (yes, Virginia, there is a 'team Gingrich') thinks he is going:http://teamgingrich.blogspot.com/2011/04/newt-to-be-at-may-5-south-carolina-gop.html

and this says Gingrich WAS going, but apparently because of the presidential exploratory committee requirement, he is unlikely to.... http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20110412/NEWS/304110062/Newt-Gingrich-likely-to-miss-Greenville-GOP-debate-spokesman-says

ctiger2
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
I think Mitt will skip it, watch it and wait for the results. Find out which way the wind is blowing and tailor his message in that vein. When Ron wins it, Mitt will end up sounding a lot more like him in the next debate.