PDA

View Full Version : 12 million this quarter??

CavortingChicken
10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
How much will 12 million really help this campaign? What will the media say about it if anything? Do ron paul's chances go up alot?

mtmedlin
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
The media will shit the proverbial brick! IT will give him enough money to campaign hard, not only in the early primary states but will give him legs to fight through super tuesday and beyond. He can actually spend money on states like California where his ideas will be very well received. Along with increase in polls, like 7.4% in NH and rising, he will become undeniably a first tier candidate and they will begin to treat him as such.

Ron Paul Fan
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
First of all, Welcome to the Forums Mr. Chicken!

To answer your question, YES! $12 million will help tremendously! That puts us up in the top tier candidate fundraising. You better believe they'll say a lot about it! Just think how much press we got for $5 million! If we reach the goal it will definitely put us ahead of McCain in donations. Thompson, Romney, and Giuliani's max donors are already tapped! Then you figure in all of the advertising we can do with all this money and his chances go up by leaps and bounds! If we can get up to $3 million by the end of this quarter we should be in pretty good shape.

BLS
10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
The media will shit the proverbial brick! IT will give him enough money to campaign hard, not only in the early primary states but will give him legs to fight through super tuesday and beyond. He can actually spend money on states like California where his ideas will be very well received. Along with increase in polls, like 7.4% in NH and rising, he will become undeniably a first tier candidate and they will begin to treat him as such.

What HE said.

koob
10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
i dont see how they could ignore it.

i'm really hoping we win new hampshire. that's my biggest concern. if we get new hampshire then everything can fall into place.

DJ RP
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I try not to be a conspriacy theorist but if the mainstream media is expected to respond to fundraising then why do they keep pushing huckabee as 'top-tier' and talking about him way more than Ron Paul when paul raised 5x his amount last quarter????

Is it to do with the poll numbers?

brandon
10-25-2007, 10:33 AM
The fundraising totals will not mean too much as far as media goes. The anouncment for the totals wont come until around january 10th, which is after several primaries already happened. By that time, if Paul did not do well in the early primaries, no media covereage will help him.

That doesnt mean the money isnt important though. The money is very important.

brandon
10-25-2007, 10:34 AM
I try not to be a conspriacy theorist but if the mainstream media is expected to respond to fundraising then why do they keep pushing huckabee as 'top-tier' and talking about him way more than Ron Paul when paul raised 5x his amount last quarter????

No it is because they dont wan't an anti-empire candidate to win.

Brinck Slattery
10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
yes, it's all about poll numbers. Plus, there's a Huckabee push going on right now. Hell, Gail Collins wrote an editorial about how great he is in the NYT this morning. GAIL COLLINS!

He's a dark horse that the media "gets," i.e. he wants to use the power of government to impress his will upon the people. He's not an alien like Ron Paul.

12 million dollars would destroy any doubts about whether or not he's a mainstream candidate. That would be on par with Giuliani, who has already more or less saturated the market for 2,300 dollar donations.

philgest
10-25-2007, 10:37 AM
My thoughts...

I think that meeting....and exceeding the 12 million goal will speak volumes about the strength of this campaign, especially given that the MSN anointed front runners have a downward spiral in terms of fund raising, while the campaign of Dr. Paul is on an upward trajectory, having doubled the amount raised with each successive quarter.

Further, 12 million is what the campaign said is needed to mount a serious national campaign for the nomination. Expenses abound from office rental, travel expenses, broadcast advertisements, print media advertisements and so on and to mount a serious campaign money is needed, and the 12 million dollar number is what the management of Dr. Paul estimated is needed.

I do believe we will meet...and exceed the 12 million goal by 31 December.
I believe the 5th of November will be a 1.5 million dollar day.
And I believe this Revolution is for real!

freelance
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Because he's TPTB flavor du jour. They're giving him a try since Freddie bombed.

Ron Paul Fan
10-25-2007, 10:47 AM
The fundraising totals will not mean too much as far as media goes. The anouncment for the totals wont come until around january 10th, which is after several primaries already happened. By that time, if Paul did not do well in the early primaries, no media covereage will help him.

No. We're running a live total, remember? So we'll pretty much know by the end of December how much he's raised and that word will get out! Just in time for the Iowa caucus on January 3rd!

brandon
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
No. We're running a live total, remember? So we'll pretty much know by the end of December how much he's raised and that word will get out! Just in time for the Iowa caucus on January 3rd!

Yea, but the media wont have any candidates to compare our numbers with until after january, so there is no reason to assume our fundraising will get much coverage before then. Lets hope I am wrong though.

centure7
10-25-2007, 10:49 AM

I think they view Ron Paul as too "out there" to have a chance. Personally it was my biggest thing against him when I first considered donating. In fact he does seeem to have different views than other politicians and a lot of people will hate him for it. But the REASON he has these views that are so different is because he does not let public opinion, special interests, or MSM tell him what to think. He is a real philosopher with books published. Perhaps any philosopher with books published would appear to have some extreme views if they actually went on stage and supported them without compromise. In fact the only "extreme" thing he has said is getting rid of the IRS and reppealing its underlying amendment, but in fact there is enough reasonable reasons against it (our founding fathers wouldn't have wanted it) and enough realistic evidence it could be done (if you look at the data there really is at least some solid ground for that goal being realistic) that it isn't really as extreme as people first think. We started off with low and commercially centered taxes, therefore it isn't that extreme to roll back to that idea.

shepburn
10-25-2007, 10:50 AM

While you are partially corrrect ... I disagree with the extent to which you claim the media is controlled. I to agree that the very inner circle media elite actually influnce their content to get a desired result. However, most journalist are not directly trying to rig anything. They are simply following protocal. They sincerly believe in the polls (as the polls are historically fairly decent at predicting elections when name recognition is saturated). My point is that for us to get more coverage, we have to either 1) get the phone poll numbers up or 2) win New Hampshire.

Elwar
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Umm...it's not like he'll have $12 million in January to start spending on advertising.

It means he'll have $12 million raised between now and January which he will be able to spend between now and then.

That means a lot of advertising.

The media part of it is minor compared to the help it gives the campaign.

I predict that only Mitt Romney will have more money than Ron Paul at the end of the quarter if he can get $12 million (And Mitt will only have that much because of his deep pockets). The other candidates are on a downward path as far as fundraising goes.

By then, it'll be about primary wins rather than money. But those donations help the campaign NOW.

BrianH
10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I do believe we will meet...and exceed the 12 million goal by 31 December.
I believe the 5th of November will be a 1.5 million dollar day.
And I believe this Revolution is for real!

I agree!! And I've been adding http://www.thisnovember5th.com/ to the bottom of messages I am sending for the MySpace friends of Ron Paul drive. I am amazed at the number who respond saying they will give each month AND the 5th of November- one said $1000. Since Ron Paul said "why would anyone object if people want to give on one day?" on the Adam Curry podcast yesterday I have resumed promoting it. Already 9,000 pledges and I suspect a huge number more on the side waiting but not pledging. Nov 5th should blow $2 million easily in a day maybe a lot more. So $12 million looks very doable!

Primbs
10-25-2007, 11:00 AM
The media and DC political insiders look at money. They are very jaded.

Right now some may look at Ron Paul and say maybe he can win one or two states but can Ron Paul win ten in a row in the later primaries. Is he a national presence?

Ron Paul has the best national grassroots, although they can still be greatly improved, but he also needs the money.

That is why Ron Paul needs to raise money in the eight figures or over ten million to combat that skepticism.

Ron Paul is on a great upward trajectory unlike the other candidates.

Ron Paul Fan
10-25-2007, 11:16 AM
http://premium1.uploadit.org/eric5148/RonPaul/ewing.jpg

With supporters like Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing, we'll definitely make $12 million!

LibertyEagle
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Too cool. :)

nbhadja
10-25-2007, 11:20 AM
is that THE Patrick Ewing??

Duckman
10-25-2007, 11:21 AM
The MSM only responds to two things when deciding to give a candidate attention:

1) Poll numbers
2) Financial numbers

Ron's financial numbers are better than his poll numbers at this point, although the poll numbers are going up. Ron's Q2 number generated some buzz. The Q3 number generated ALOT of buzz. A Q4 number of $12M or more will generate a DEAFENING buzz.

Ron Paul Fan
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
is that THE Patrick Ewing??

It's gotta be! How many other Patrick Ewing's are there? Him and his son, Patrick Ewing Jr. How many others could there be? There he is, in the left hand column about 6 rows down on chowda's donation list! A real live Hall of Famer! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

http://ronpaulgraphs.com/donor_names.html

Edit: I got carried away on the hall of famer. He will be eligible next year though! Even better! He can bring up Dr. Paul at his induction ceremony!

pengieh
10-25-2007, 01:30 PM
It's gotta be! How many other Patrick Ewing's are there? Him and his son, Patrick Ewing Jr. How many others could there be? There he is, in the left hand column about 6 rows down on chowda's donation list! A real live Hall of Famer! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

http://ronpaulgraphs.com/donor_names.html

Edit: I got carried away on the hall of famer. He will be eligible next year though! Even better! He can bring up Dr. Paul at his induction ceremony!

It could be this guy http://web.meetup.com/54/members/3848070/

LibertyEagle
10-25-2007, 01:43 PM
As of right now, there has been only $12K donated today. What's up with that? I've never seen donations so low. Aside from the huge amount the campaign added in yesterday, the online donations were horrible yesterday too.

ronpaulyourmom
10-25-2007, 01:53 PM
How much will 12 million really help this campaign? What will the media say about it if anything? Do ron paul's chances go up alot?

The simple fact is that it doesn't really matter what the media says about it, if Ron Paul doesn't get 12 million from us he really wont have a chance to win a national campaign. He's probably going to spend an average of 2.5 million a month starting with October, and he needs money in the bank to last until the end.

JMann
10-25-2007, 01:59 PM
12 million will make him the largest fundraiser for the Republicans in the 4th quarter. Rudolph, Willard Mitt and Freddie will all bring in less than 12 million. If Ronald can out raise them in the 4th he is well on his way because the other campaigns will be broke.

I've notice that Paul has basically spent what he raised the previous quarter. Someone can go back and check but (of the top of my head) in the second quarter he spent about 700k raised 2.3, 3Q spent about 2.3, raised 5.1. I would expect he will spend about 5.1 this quarter leaving 12 million cash on hand in January. That will be more cash than any other candidate.

Ron Paul Fan
10-25-2007, 02:32 PM
It could be this guy http://web.meetup.com/54/members/3848070/

What a bastard. That guy really needs to change his name because he got all of us in a frenzy about this! He could have at least warned us before hand! It's great that he donated, but he's no Patrick Ewing. Well, I guess technically he is. But he's not the Patrick Ewing! :mad:

kylejack
10-25-2007, 02:34 PM

Ron Paul has taken control of the process by publishing it on his site. Ron Paul can be getting hyped for his fund-raising throughout this quarter.

smtwngrl
10-25-2007, 02:48 PM

I think they are building up Huckabee some intentionally to take attention/votes away from Ron Paul. Someone who votes for Huckabee is likely to vote Republican in the general election after their guy doesn't win in the primaries. They know we aren't going to do that.

It costs nothing for them to build up Huckabee some, because they know he doesn't have the funding to actually win.

At least, that's my take on it.

smtwngrl
10-25-2007, 02:50 PM
12 million will make him the largest fundraiser for the Republicans in the 4th quarter. Rudolph, Willard Mitt and Freddie will all bring in less than 12 million.

Yes! Exactly!