PDA

View Full Version : Deal Reached to Avoid 2011 Shutdown

reduen
04-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Looks like Republicans caved in..... Anyone surprised about this one? :rolleyes:

torchbearer
04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Chester Copperpot
04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
More bullshit... cutting $78 billion... they might as well piss on a forest fire.

I guess the tea party's votes on the patriot act were indicative of their bullshit attitude... 10% of the tea party is real constitutuionalist the other 90% are bullshit

to hell with them

CharlesTX
04-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Always compromising the other way as usual

MikeStanart
04-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Now if we can just get a list of the traitors....so we know who to vote out.

specsaregood
04-08-2011, 10:20 PM
More bullshit... cutting $78 billion... they might as well piss on a forest fire.

I read it is 39billion now. so i guess its more like pissing on a forest fire while suffering from a prostate problem.

Aldanga
04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Nothing's been passed yet. This was merely a deal made between leaders of the parties. Technically things have shut down.

Chester Copperpot
04-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Nothing's been passed yet. This was merely a deal made between leaders of the parties. Technically things have shut down.

Well whats going on?

You got a link?

Peace&Freedom
04-08-2011, 10:34 PM
If the deal holds, I'm wondering what promises or concessions were made to the tea party people who held out until this point, and will the GOP leaders keep them.

TheNcredibleEgg
04-08-2011, 10:36 PM
So what.

Even if the Republican leaders got everything they demanded - it was still nothing.

Cynically speaking - the leadership selling out is probably a plus for Ron Paul.

AGRP
04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Cynically speaking - the leadership selling out is probably a plus for Ron Paul.

He's got a hell of a lot of ammo for the debates.

Aldanga
04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Well whats going on?

You got a link?
Justin Amash has been updating his Facebook regarding the situation. It looks like a one-week extension was passed just now and the actual deal will be voted on later.

Carehn
04-08-2011, 10:44 PM
This sucks.... I have no details yet but we can most likely all agree that it will, in fact, SUCK.

RSLudlum
04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Justin Amash's latest facebook status (https://www.facebook.com/repjustinamash) straight from the house floor:
"Just voted no on a motion to concur in the Senate amendment to H R 1363. The substitute, which we received at midnight, is riddled in cross references. It keeps the government operating through April 15 and cuts an additional $2 billion. This extension paves the way for a deal that will reduce the size of the federal government by 1%. Pray for our country. It passed 348-70."

Previous post (40 minutes ago):
"The government of the United States of America has shutdown"

-follow up comment: "I'm sitting on the House floor. The government has shut down. Nothing has been passed by the House or signed by the President. As usual, the process appears to be irrelevant to most in the media."

https://www.facebook.com/repjustinamash

Peace&Freedom
04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
So what.

Even if the Republican leaders got everything they demanded - it was still nothing.

The leadership was always expected to sell out, to get nothing of significance. What is more important is what the tea party people sold out for. What leverage have they created, what did their firmness set the stage for? A delay in the real budget reform until the next fiscal year? A firm deal not to lift the debt ceiling? That kind of thing.

Matt Collins
04-08-2011, 10:55 PM
What about the vote to raise the debt ceiling?

Anti Federalist
04-08-2011, 11:03 PM
And so it goes...like I'm shocked.

1994 redux.

The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can throw the rascals out at any election without leading to any profound or extensive shifts in policy. Then it should be possible to replace it, every four years if necessary, by the other party, which will be none of these things but will still pursue, with new vigor, approximately the same basic policies.

ForLibertyFight
04-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I expected nothing different.

Marenco
04-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Can't say i'm shocked.

"There's not a dime's worth of difference between the Democrat and Republican Parties." - George Wallace - Governor of Alabama and 1968 Republican Presidential candidate

t0rnado
04-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Spineless cowards.

georgiaboy
04-08-2011, 11:59 PM
So unreal.
Pass a 700B bailout in a week's time? No problem.
Invade Libya in a week's time? No sweat.
Pass a budget heading towards balance? it's just so difficult & complicated, these things take time & discussion, debate & compromise, it's a lengthy process...

tpreitzel
04-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Justin's response to Pat (possibly disinformation agent) should have also added that Pat's money will soon be useful only for toilet paper if the government's spending isn't radically curtailed. It continually amazes me that Americans (including government employees) can't seem to grasp that THEY are responsible for the nearly $15T in debt. In other words, even IF a family has their mortgage paid in full, that family is still very likely in debt tens of thousands of dollars since their share of the national debt is ~$130K (family) or ~ $45K (individually). Many people honestly think that the burden of the national debt doesn't affect them. Oh, yes it does if a bankruptcy were ever declared. Where will the government get the assets to pay off such a debt? Hold up a mirror. How many Americans deduct their portion of the national debt from their net worth? ;) The reckless spending of the federal government has financially enslaved EVERYONE to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars in PAST spending. Really, I don't like repeatedly raising this issue, but there's obviously merit to it: Notice on Justin Amash's Facebook page the sex of majority of those people complaining about his vote.

nayjevin
04-09-2011, 01:04 AM
So unreal.
Pass a 700B bailout in a week's time? No problem.
Invade Libya in a week's time? No sweat.
Pass a budget heading towards balance? it's just so difficult & complicated, these things take time & discussion, debate & compromise, it's a lengthy process...

:D

Here's a solution to the shutdown that was ignored:

Senator Rand Paul Proposes Solution to Government Shutdown
http://libertyclick.com/blog/legislation/senator-rand-paul-proposes-solution-to-government-shutdown/

“There doesn’t need to be a shutdown in order for us to address the spending problem”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today Sen. Rand Paul proposed the Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2011 to address the issues that may occur during a federal government shutdown. The proposal ensures that essential government services continue to function in absence of the passage of a spending bill, and incentivizes Congress to act. The bill is intended as a permanent rule to follow for the current and all future cases where Congress does not enact a budget or continuing resolution.

“Absence of a continuing resolution does not shutdown government. And this legislation will show that there doesn’t need to be a shutdown in order for us to address the spending problem here in Washington,” Sen. Paul said. “We can fund government at lower levels while deciding the final product.”

“My proposal seeks to alleviate the worries of people who rely on important services, and fill the gap created by non-passage of spending bills, while forcing Congress to deal with the unsustainable spending,” he continued. “In my bill, we keep obligations made to our military personnel, seniors, children, and federal workers maintain an adequate level of pay, but Members of Congress and the President do not get paid unless they actually work out a resolution.”

Under the bill,

Congressmen, Senators, and the President do not receive a salary during the emergency, and are not eligible for back pay when the emergency is vacated.

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-09-2011, 01:13 AM
What happened to all of the hallejuah's, rejoicing, and we're saved when the republicans took over?

tpreitzel
04-09-2011, 03:51 AM
What happened to all of the hallejuah's, rejoicing, and we're saved when the republicans took over?

hallejuah, brother? ;)

Hallelujah! Seriously, the 2010 elections were a big step in the correct direction, but few people expected outright success since the leadership is so corrupt and many Americans are still suffering indoctrination. It'll take time and many more reinforcements in the US Congress before the course of our ship of state is noticeably altered. The 2012-2016 elections have to build greatly on the 2010 elections where many corrupt, old guard in congress are replaced. I honestly don't see much change in the actions of the US Congress until AFTER 2016 which naturally assumes our continued progress in throwing out the old guard.

Cap
04-09-2011, 03:55 AM
hallejuah, brother? ;)

Hallelujah! Seriously, the 2010 elections were a big step in the correct direction, but few people expected outright success since the leadership is so corrupt and many Americans are still suffering indoctrination. It'll take time and many more reinforcements in the US Congress before the course of our ship of state is noticeably altered. The 2012-2016 elections have to build greatly on the 2010 elections where many corrupt, old guard in congress are replaced.

I'm afraid there's not much time left.

tpreitzel
04-09-2011, 04:01 AM
I'm afraid there's not much time left.

I agree. We'll have to take it one day and battle at a time.

moostraks
04-09-2011, 06:58 AM
hallejuah, brother? ;)

Hallelujah! Seriously, the 2010 elections were a big step in the correct direction, but few people expected outright success since the leadership is so corrupt and many Americans are still suffering indoctrination. It'll take time and many more reinforcements in the US Congress before the course of our ship of state is noticeably altered. The 2012-2016 elections have to build greatly on the 2010 elections where many corrupt, old guard in congress are replaced. I honestly don't see much change in the actions of the US Congress until AFTER 2016 which naturally assumes our continued progress in throwing out the old guard.

Big step? You are way too optimistic,imo...

Anti Federalist
04-09-2011, 01:45 PM

GOP establishment sez:

http://digitalslander.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/hah-hah.jpg

losinglife
04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Question, Why hasn't Ron voted on the last 2 big budget deals that have come to the floor? I see he didn't vote last night, im curious as to why. Anyone have any actual insight? A friend of mine keeps rubbing it in my face, but i have no come back :(

tpreitzel
04-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Big step? You are way too optimistic,imo...

IMO, it's a big step in the sense that the 2010 elections finally reflected a significant change in views of the electorate via the rise of the Tea Party. Sure, the principles underlying the Tea Party need further refinement and definition so we don't include views espoused by the neoconservatives, etc., but it's a major start. Some good representatives and senators were elected. In the course of my personal life, I'd never seen the beginnings of such political change until 2010. We're on the road, but the path to our destination remains longer than many of us think. I don't know if we can reach the destination in time, but we must continue trying. Our happiness and the welfare of our posterity depends partly upon our effort.

pcosmar
04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Deal reached???

That's what you call this "Dog and Pony"show".
:confused:
:(

Peace&Freedom
04-09-2011, 06:31 PM
If the early votes of the elected tea party candidates are any indication, it means only 1 out of every 8-10 of them are the real deal. Probably the reason the cave-in TP folks held out so long was the 10%-15% real deal candidates whose resolute example kept them from bolting. So in order to have more genuine real-deals in office, we may have to elect 10x as many Tea Party people.

AuH20
04-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Until the GOP leadership is captured, we're going to be disappointed. I said this from the beginning. The good thing is that we captured a beachhead in 2010 and we're making our way inland to the headquarters. Patience people.

AFPVet
04-09-2011, 06:37 PM
How are they going to recoup all of the money which was stolen from the banker 'bailout'?

Carehn
04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
How are they going to recoup all of the money which was stolen from the banker 'bailout'?

Its not that the wealth stolen can be taken back. It can't because they never took it, they destroyed it. Wealth is contingent in ways on how productive a society is. The money, the wealth they took from you and me is gone, destroyed because when they took it they destroyed industries. They destroyed the cause of those industries, the industrialists and people like him but on smaller scales.

Yes things like gold will always have value but even the purchasing power of gold can drop when people stop working. If half the wheat farmers all say "fuck it" then the gold you have will buy much less wheat next year. Don't get me wrong, i think we all are hard money guys in this place.

the point i don't seem to have is that money is gone dude. Let it go, we've been had.

AFPVet
04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Its not that the wealth stolen can be taken back. It can't because they never took it, they destroyed it. Wealth is contingent in ways on how productive a society is. The money, the wealth they took from you and me is gone, destroyed because when they took it they destroyed industries. They destroyed the cause of those industries, the industrialists and people like him but on smaller scales.

Yes things like gold will always have value but even the purchasing power of gold can drop when people stop working. If half the wheat farmers all say "fuck it" then the gold you have will buy much less wheat next year. Don't get me wrong, i think we all are hard money guys in this place.

the point i don't seem to have is that money is gone dude. Let it go, we've been had.

Isn't this called fraud?

tpreitzel
04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
One of the sadly interesting aspects of this "deal" lies in the fact that it gave bragging rights to Obama. In essence, this deal simply empowered Obama's agenda even more. Boehner needs to be replaced not only as Speaker of the House of Representatives, but as a representative. Nothing of substance was accomplished by this compromise of principle. The very fact that leftist Politico has been trumpeting this deal as a major win for Boehner should make every fiscally responsible American wary.