PDA

View Full Version : Conflict to compromise to synthesis: Tax Policy

progressiveforpaul
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
In the coming days I want to make some proposals about bridging the gap between the two ideologies of progressivism and libertarianism. Of course we already have much in common and i don't want to go over those agreements here. Instead what I would like to focus on are the issues where we don't seem to find common ground. Mostly this will be about economic policy but from time to time we might explore some cultural, defense and foreign policy issues.
Today, I want to offer up an idea on tax policy and solicit your responses. I do this not to be argumentative but to develop ideas which will strengthen an emerging coalition which Ron Paul has already begun.
Ls think we Ps love taxes, as if we derive some kind of masochistic pleasure from filing our taxes. The truth is we long for simpification as much as you do. And believe it or not we would rather our taxes be lower. Of course, we do differ in other respects. Ls tend to prefer flat consumption taxes while Ps tend to prefer progressive income taxes. What if Ps could let go of their desire to tax income and Ls their desire not to tax bigger somes of money at higher rates. The result is a progressive consumption tax, a tax advocated by liberal economist, Robert Frank and approved by conservative economists: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/11/inequality_and_executive_pay

http://progressivesforronpaul.blogspot.com/

low preference guy
04-08-2011, 08:02 PM
The truth is we long for simpification as much as you do

I bet it'd be more accurate to say that you long for simplification as much as we long for abolition.

The result is a progressive consumption tax, a tax advocated by liberal economist, Robert Frank and approved by conservative economists

Sounds complicated to implement, but it might be interesting to look at the details of the proposal.

progressiveforpaul
04-08-2011, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=low preference guy;3199565]I bet it'd be more accurate to say that you long for simplification as much as we long for abolition.

And this idea gets income taxes abolished.