PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to pay income taxes during the government shut down?

brandon
04-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Because if I do then I contend the government didn't really shut down.

Chester Copperpot
04-08-2011, 07:32 AM
IRS will be closed.

Im not telling you what to do.. But other than giving people electronic refunds aint nobody going to be there.

Chester Copperpot
04-08-2011, 07:33 AM
If youre asking about an ideological question. hmm well thats a pretty good question..

Should people pay for a govt when there is no govt?

brandon
04-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Taxes are withheld from my paycheck. Will the government send me a full refund for taxes I paid on income while they were shut down? Is all money earned during the shutdown considered non-taxable?

Should people pay for a govt when there is no govt?

Yep. It sure is an interesting question with a very obvious answer.

thedude
04-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Yes... You will still need to file by the deadline. They just wont process the paper returns. (government priorities FTL:( )

fisharmor
04-08-2011, 07:51 AM
IRS will be closed.

Get real. The returns processing centers might be closed.
The armed goons will still be making visits. The kangaroo courts will keep running.
And the government will not be shut down forever.
Two weeks, tops.
60 billion? They can find that in the couch cushions.
The Demoncrats will capitulate, they'll find 50 billion or so in pocket change, and then it'll be open for business.
Neither side will let the government stay shut down for more than two weeks. More than that and they risk serious questions getting raised - like "hey, if most of us are still getting food and gainful employment, what do we need you for?"

Chester Copperpot
04-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Get real. The returns processing centers might be closed.
The armed goons will still be making visits. The kangaroo courts will keep running.
And the government will not be shut down forever.
Two weeks, tops.
60 billion? They can find that in the couch cushions.
The Demoncrats will capitulate, they'll find 50 billion or so in pocket change, and then it'll be open for business.
Neither side will let the government stay shut down for more than two weeks. More than that and they risk serious questions getting raised - like "hey, if most of us are still getting food and gainful employment, what do we need you for?"

US Govt shutdown suspends IRS audits
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-06/government-shutdown-would-suspend-irs-audits-close-parks-2-.html

Carehn
04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Spot on.

sailingaway
04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Do you want our answer or the answer of the guys with the power to put a judicial lien on all your assets and the power to send you to jail?

VBRonPaulFan
04-08-2011, 08:45 AM
last time the government shut down, the IRS processing centers for returns shut down, but they were still processing IRS payments and electronic debits... however, the end filing date for tax season doesn't change so if you send in your return late they'll probably hit you with a penalty anyhow.

fisharmor
04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
US Govt shutdown suspends IRS audits

Right - it suspends audits.
Something I didn't say anything about.
The enforcers will keep arresting.
The courts will keep prosecuting.
And if you think those two tentacles don't have access to whether or not you've filed a return this year, even in the advent of a shutdown, you're fooling yourself.

brandon
04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I think I may have misworded my original post. I'm not asking if I still have to file my 2010 returns by April 15th in the event of a government shutdown. I am asking if money earned while the government is shutdown is taxable or not.

aGameOfThrones
04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/08/us-usa-budget-treasury-idUSTRE7373QR20110408

Taxes collected, coins produced if government shuts down

But with the April 18 deadline looming to file taxes, a good chunk of the Treasury Department will stay open to collect the receipts, the agency said on its website on Friday.

The Treasury will continue to sell debt needed to operate the government and a handful of Treasury-related bureaus that are not funded by government appropriations will operate as normal.

Those include bank regulator the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, as well as the U.S. Mint and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which together produce coins and currency for the country.

MRoCkEd
04-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I am asking if money earned while the government is shutdown is taxable or not.
Why wouldn't it be? At tax time, you will have to report all your income for 2011.

Are you asking if they will still withhold?

brandon
04-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Why wouldn't it be?

Why would it be? What am I paying for? If the cable company messes up and you lose cable to your house for a month, do you still have to pay for it?

I know they still will withhold. I suppose my question is a bit rhetorical. If taxes are payment for services rendered by the government, it seems a bit odd that we would need to continue paying even after they shut down the services.

eduardo89
04-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Yes, because the government owns your income and they're nice enough to let you keep a part of it. Remember, it's not your money, it's the government's!