PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for growing the base?

gerryb
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I haven't done much since 2008 except forward articles to friends and family, and participate in DownsizeDC.org email campaigns to congress.

I'm looking to get more involved locally. What have others done and had success at?

I just joined C4L, but it doesn't look like anyone is active in my congressional district(lots of names, but none logged in recently), and plan to attend the local Republican and Democrat party meetings held every month.

I'm thinking of sending mail to residents in my area looking to recruit like minded individuals. Has anyone done this? I'm somewhat familiar with bulk mail, but would need to start a non-profit or PAC to get the discounted bulk mail rates.

I don't yet want to start precinct walking.. what else have you folks done?

IDefendThePlatform
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I think you can send an email to those on the c4l list and see if they want to get together and get it going again. If not, maybe a Meetup.com group?

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Dug through your state forum yet? They're keeping those around just so the threads won't slide off so fast. Have you checked meetup.com? Some meetup groups have gotten away from that site, and some haven't. These are very, very good places to get your act together before county party conventions. If the forum and meetup don't work, try sticking something in your search engine that will show any tax day rallies in your area.

I'm old enough to remember when all Libertarians had to work in many little vacuums. This is the internet age; we can be more effective now.

IDefendThePlatform
04-07-2011, 09:37 PM
If no Meetup group exists, you could start one and then run some Facebook ads targeted to republican/libertarian/Ron Paul types in your particular city. Have the clickthrough take them to your Meetup group join page.

But best would be to reactivate c4l, if possible.

Carehn
04-07-2011, 09:48 PM
You cant just trick them. Its a one time deal swinging the political spectrum back and forth. You have to convince them. Convincing is a big part of all this because our philosophy is based on voluntary actions and not force.

It has helped me to be able to predict neer future events, things you can spot the media BSing about a mile away. This give you credibility enough to get people to actually read a flippen book you may recommend.

gerryb
04-07-2011, 09:49 PM
If no Meetup group exists, you could start one and then run some Facebook ads targeted to republican/libertarian/Ron Paul types in your particular city. Have the clickthrough take them to your Meetup group join page.

But best would be to reactivate c4l, if possible.

Thanks, hadn't thought about google ads. That's another avenue to pursue in combination with a mail campaign to try and get some organization active.

Unfortunately no meetups exist locally either. I'm in Northern MD(moved here within last 2 years) and expected to be able to find more activity since it is a republican district/area. We actually have a pretty good congressman, so maybe I should jump the border and join some groups in southern PA, where there seems to be more Liberty minded organization and a Republican congressman that isn't so great.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Maybe. But go to your own county party and get a lay of the land. Don't remember offhand anyone here from the immediate area, or even southeastern PA...

IDefendThePlatform
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

And just to clarify, I said Facebook ads cuz I think those are easier to target. But google ads could work too as long as you were able to target by IP address location and very specific search terms like "Ron Paul"

Peace&Freedom
04-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Using the internet is a very effective way to assemble and connect an activist base, as we fabulously saw with Paul in 2007-8, and as the Dean campaign showed in 2003-4. What it can't do is grow the base offline--that is the job of the activists and the campaign to do once assembled. Don't worry about lack of activity with dormant meetups, the grassroots are about to explode back into intense activity next month, once Paul (probably) announces he will be running in 2012.

The pro-liberty grassroots has to be "likely voter" centered in the battles to come in 2011-2, not fixated on replaying highlights of Paul's performance in debates shown on cable stations most voters don't watch. We have to concentrate on promoting Paul in brick and mortar Republican precincts and districts, in order to help him win GOP primaries. Generic sign waving in Democratic areas won't cut it. Try finding out if you can volunteer to speak at senior centers (likely voters) as a CFL rep on topics like "health care and you" and run the talk as an overview of Paul's approach to health care reform. More of this, and less blimps or other choir-pleasing distractions.

crazyfacedjenkins
04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Try volunteering in youth groups where you can teach kids. Get em young, trying to canvas for people who are set in their ways is completely useless.

tangent4ronpaul
04-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks, hadn't thought about google ads. That's another avenue to pursue in combination with a mail campaign to try and get some organization active.

Unfortunately no meetups exist locally either. I'm in Northern MD(moved here within last 2 years) and expected to be able to find more activity since it is a republican district/area. We actually have a pretty good congressman, so maybe I should jump the border and join some groups in southern PA, where there seems to be more Liberty minded organization and a Republican congressman that isn't so great.

Sounds like you are in NW MD and Bartlett is your critter. Good representative. The guy that ran the Frederick meetup didn't promote it at all and that group didn't do anything the whole campaign except meet from time to time. Suggest you start a group there, but it would really be starting from scratch.

Most of the MD Meetups didn't renew late last year. There are two left. The active one is the Baltimore C4L group. The dormant one, for now is mine. We also have a MD organizers group, and I expect most if not all of those organizers will restart their groups when Paul announces.

Pittsburgh has a group that at least was active.

There was a group in Westminster MD that was fairly active and based around an anti-tax organization / ministry that also has a radio show - I believe SW. The anti-tax group made SPLC/DHS's list of "extremest" groups

Peace&Freedom
04-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Try volunteering in youth groups where you can teach kids. Get em young, trying to canvas for people who are set in their ways is completely useless.

Young people are also set in their ways, that is, they party, they date each other, they goof around a lot. They tend to do those things reliably---but they NEVER reliably vote. Reaching the youth is a long term strategy that should be tried, but the priority should be on reaching likely voters. Doing things the way the movement did in 2007-8 is a recipe for a repeat of the failures of 2007-8.

Rothbardian Girl
04-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Young people are also set in their ways, that is, they party, they date each other, they goof around a lot. They tend to do those things reliably---but they NEVER reliably vote. Reaching the youth is a long term strategy that should be tried, but the priority should be on reaching likely voters. Doing things the way the movement did in 2007-8 is a recipe for a repeat of the failures of 2007-8.

There are some diamonds in the rough, however. While I definitely agree that most young people seem more focused on goofing around than anything else (which is a good thing, to some degree), it is still possible to reach a good-sized audience. I think young people, especially in this era, tend to lean a little more socially libertarian, which is at least a start. Then I would work on them about foreign policy and lastly entitlement spending (in order of ease of conversion to libertarian viewpoints).

All I'm saying - probably best not to tar all young people with the same brush. :D

IDefendThePlatform
04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I think we can agree that we need young and old this time around if we want to win.

In 2008 the breakdown was 70% turnout for 65+; steadily decreasing to a turnout of 44% for the 18-24 demographic.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Voter_Turnout_by_Sex_and_Age,_2008_US_Preside ntial_Election.png

But young people are cheaper and easier to reach (internet, facebook, etc), and easier to convert.

We definitely need to target both (all?) demographics if we want to win the nomination.

GunnyFreedom
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Ally with the Frederick Douglass Foundation.

Seriously.

I mean. SERIOUSLY.

po14015
04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
The Number One thing everyone should do is get a Precinct List of their Neighborhood.

Than walk door to door with a survey and ask questions. Be quite and don't talk. Build a database on your neighborhood. Companies do it. The government does it. You should do it.

This is about identifying Liberty-minded people in your local area. This is more than just Ron Paul 2012. This is about building a group of people who can work together on politics, education, etc.

And it is easy. Maybe a few hundred people. This is more important than signs, shirts, donations, etc. This is how we reclaim our country.

steve005
04-08-2011, 10:33 PM
yes I agree with door to door, but I think printing out half or quarter page pamphlets and posting them everywhere would be the best, I am thinking about doing this and writing about food storage and stocking up on food/gardening and getting guns, I'm not in the best part of town so I figure anyone who is lazy and would take what they need from others would think twice about it after seeing this,

BrianHandeland
04-08-2011, 11:14 PM
I think we should try to organize in each state and have a huge information expo. Now the normal problem with libertarian expos is the fact that only like minded libertarians end up showing up for it. But if gave an incentive like "anyone that shows up to the expo will be given a free ticket at winning a automatic 10 shot shotgun that will be picked at random" and advertise this at NRA and Gun owners of America meetings. Try to get some regular conservatives to show up by offering this free chance at winning a shotgun or rifle or whatever prize it is. Then they are forced to watch a couple hours of libertarians speaking and at least hearing the libertarian perspective (because we choose the prize winner last of course ;) ). We definitely need to force the Rs and Ds to hear our message and I think this would be an awesome way to do it. I think probably the most effective way to build the base. It would be a great way to show people that are at least a little bit politically savvy why our freedom society is more positive for them than their statism.

DDkrutsinger
04-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Reach out to pro-peace dems, libertarians, independents. I am working on this as a tool: republican4aday.com

Matt Collins
04-09-2011, 09:07 AM
The Number One thing everyone should do is get a Precinct List of their Neighborhood.

Than walk door to door with a survey and ask questions. Be quite and don't talk. Build a database on your neighborhood. Companies do it. The government does it. You should do it.

This is about identifying Liberty-minded people in your local area. This is more than just Ron Paul 2012. This is about building a group of people who can work together on politics, education, etc.

And it is easy. Maybe a few hundred people. This is more important than signs, shirts, donations, etc. This is how we reclaim our country.This is the thread WINNER

gerryb
04-09-2011, 10:36 AM
This is the thread WINNER

+1

I agree, ultimately this is where I am heading with the mailings and other activities. I am hoping the mailings will generate some volunteers and data from my neighbors completing an online survey. It's not even about the presidential elections for me, it's more about changing the state and local politicians, and finding a group that will go out and put pressure on the incumbents at meetings.