PDA

View Full Version : CNN reported "hate crime" was actually gas leak malfunction

doodle
04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Granted CNN or other media news owners/producers might be little on edge due to ongoing Israeli bombing of Gaza, is this responsible journalism to pre-maturely announce a gas leak as a "hate crime"?

Explosion Triggers False Bomb Scare in Santa Monica
posted Apr. 7, 2011, 11:47:00 am

What followed was a media frenzy of misinformation from coast to coast as reports ran rampant that a Jewish temple had been the target of a bomb. Sources as prominent as the LA Times, CNN, and NBC declared that a hate crime had been perpetrated. Even the local media outlets were on the bandwagon. Despite a flurry of media reports to the contrary, no bombs or evidence of a bomb was found.

http://www.smmirror.com/?ajax#mode=single&view=32033

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 08:22 PM
And NBC, of, course. Ah, the high journalistic standards of the corporate entity that provided a photo of an African American gentleman as proof of Tea Party racism... :rolleyes:

doodle
04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Are we talking about same incidence and is Jeff Zucker still running NBC?

nate895
04-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Question: Why would you think anyone would care about "responsibility" anymore?

FrankRep
04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
EVIL CNN:

ATF: Construction accident caused blast near synagogue
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/07/california.synagogue.explosion/index.html?iref=allsearch

CNN didn't call it a Hate Crime

* possible hate crime

Earlier in the day, authorities had been investigating the explosion as a possible hate crime against the synagogue -- until they deemed the explosion was an accident.

BlackTerrel
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Do you have links to some of the frenzy of misinformation? Your post is the first I've heard this thing and I've been on Google News most of the day.

I now searched about 10 different articles from earlier in the day. This is the most incendiary one I could find.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/04/explosion-property-jewish-organization-santa-monica-leads-to-evacuation-street-closures.html

Santa Monica police were not prepared to call the event a bombing, even though there were initial reports that a pipe bomb exploded, nor has there been a report regarding damage on the property of Chabad House Lubavitch of Santa Monica. Calls to Chabad were not immediately returned.

doodle
04-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Well I didn't Tivo the earlier onair/online reporting of CNN , NBC, LAT. Santa Monica Mirror is a local paper closest to the source and location where this occured, so I'm taking their reporting on face value. I don't see a reason why would they makeup something like this. Online reporting does get updated/removed sometimes. Try to find all the earlier MSM claims and insunations about Iraq-911-WMD connectiuon and you'll know.

Correction: this is updated news. it was not an accident but does not seem to be a hate crime or related to Gaza bombing. ADL was involved, so it is conceivable why it could have been reported as a "hate crime" early on, then changed to a gas leak accident, and back to a bomb attack now:

Suspect identified in blast at Santa Monica synagogue

April 8, 2011 | 10:09 pm

Suspect Police were searching Friday for a suspect in the Santa Monica synagogue explosion that authorities had earlier believed to be an accidental blast.

The blast sent a 300-pound metal pipe encased in concrete hurtling through the air and crashing through the roof of a home next door to Chabad House. Originally authorities had said they believed the explosion was a freak industrial accident.

But on Friday, bomb technicians and detectives scouring the scene discovered evidence that the blast was caused by an explosive device, police said. Items found nearby were linked to Hirsch, who was being sought on state charges of possession of a destructive device and other charges.

The motive for the attack was unknown, police said. Joining local authorities in investigating the case were the FBI and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

On Friday afternoon, the Anti-Defamation League issued a security alert to synagogues and other Jewish organizations in the Los Angeles area.

"ADL has no information regarding a specific threat against any Jewish institution," the league announced in the alert. "However, community members should be extra vigilant."

She also said there was no indication that the suspect was part of a terrorist plot.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/04/santa-monica-synagogue-explosion.html

acptulsa
04-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Down the memory hole.

doodle
04-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Corrected, news has changed.

FrankRep
04-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Corrected, news has changed.

* possible hate crime

oyarde
04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
These gas leak problems are going to become more prevelant I am afraid due to age & decay of lines...

doodle
04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
New York City on alert as 'Santa Monica synagogue bomber' catches Greyhound to east coast

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:19 AM on 12th April 2011

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375155/Santa-Monica-synagogue-bomber-Ron-Hirsch-hiding-NYC.html

acptulsa
04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
So, if we quote bad media reporting on political issues here, in the proper forum, and show the 'revisions' as well, is that violating copyright laws? Or is that protected free speech? And are we willing to try or do we not need the hassle of having to take a case to the SCOTUS? Because this crap of say any lie you want to, then 'responsibly' amend it after 95% of the people who are going to read it have read it is bullshit.

GunnyFreedom
04-12-2011, 08:55 AM
So, if we quote bad media reporting on political issues here, in the proper forum, and show the 'revisions' as well, is that violating copyright laws? Or is that protected free speech? And are we willing to try or do we not need the hassle of having to take a case to the SCOTUS? Because this crap of say any lie you want to, then 'responsibly' amend it after 95% of the people who are going to read it have read it is bullshit.

Pretty sure that covering media bias and revisionary history is covered under 'fair use' although a-holes may still sue, the victory should be clear.