PDA

View Full Version : Cars, whole houses, severed body parts: Japan quake debris floating towards U.S. W Coast

doodle
04-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Cars, whole houses and even severed feet in shoes: The vast field of debris from Japan earthquake and tsunami that's floating towards U.S. West Coast

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:45 PM on 7th April 2011

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374520/Cars-houses-severed-feet-shoes-The-vast-field-debris-Japan-earthquake-tsunami-thats-floating-U-S-West-Coast.html#ixzz1IsZpGsbQ

Jeremy
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
"In three years time the debris field will have reached the U.S. West Coast and will then turn toward Hawaii and back again toward Asia, circulating in what is known as the North Pacific gyre"

doodle
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I had just read the top para of news report.

A vast field of debris, swept out to sea following the Japan earthquake and tsunami, is floating towards the U.S. West Coast, it emerged today.

More than 200,000 buildings were washed out by the enormous waves that followed the 9.0 quake on March 11.

There have been reports of cars, tractor-trailers, capsized ships and even whole houses bobbing around in open water.

Scroll down for video

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374520/Cars-houses-severed-feet-shoes-The-vast-field-debris-Japan-earthquake-tsunami-thats-floating-U-S-West-Coast.html#ixzz1IsbPYiWS

But how does he know in three years, body parts will survive the sea?

But even more grizzly are the predictions of U.S. oceanographer Curtis Ebbesmeyer, who is expecting human feet, still in their shoes, to wash up on the West Coast within three years.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
LOL The odds of, for example, an automobile remaining afloat that long are somewhere south of a quadrillion to one.

robertwerden
04-07-2011, 04:54 PM
How about an 18 wheeler that is trailering a liquid storage tank that was empty. The tank would keep it afloat

AGRP
04-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Not surprising.

Were always getting things from the shipping channels like shoes.

Kregisen
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
LOL The odds of, for example, an automobile remaining afloat that long are somewhere south of a quadrillion to one.

Nonsense you pessimist, I can't wait til I get my Honda.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
How about an 18 wheeler that is trailering a liquid storage tank that was empty. The tank would keep it afloat

Japanese semitractors might be light enough, maybe. I doubt it. If so, the tractor would hang straight down in the water. It wouldn't get very close to shore, assuming it made it. But that's not guaranteed; often seals are designed to keep a liquid in, not out. And the water pressure of the ocean would be greater than the pressure the liquid exerts on the inside of the tank.

LOL it'll make a fine aquarium.

doodle
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Sadly funny :)