PDA

View Full Version : Ten Principles of a Free Society, from 'Liberty Defined'

Wesker1982
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
This is the Appendix to Ron Paul's new book, Liberty Defined.

1. Rights belong to individuals, not groups; they derive from our nature and can neither be granted nor taken away by government.

2. All peaceful, voluntary economic and social associations are permitted; consent is the basis of the social and economic order.

3. Justly acquired property is privately owned by individuals and voluntary groups, and this ownership cannot be arbitrarily voided by governments.

4. Government may not redistribute private wealth or grant special privileges to any individual or group.

5. Individuals are responsible for their own actions; government cannot and should not protect us from ourselves.

6. Government may not claim the monopoly over a people's money and governments must never engage in official counterfeiting, even in the name of macroeconomic stability.

7. Aggressive wars, even when called preventative, and even when they pertain only to trade relations, are forbidden.

8. Jury nullification, that is, the right of jurors to judge the law as well as the facts, is a right of the people and the courtroom norm.

9. All forms of involuntary servitude are prohibited, not only slavery but also conscription, forced association, and forced welfare distribution.

10. Government must obey the law that it expects other people to obey and thereby must never use force to mold behavior, manipulate social outcomes, manage the economy, or tell other countries how to behave.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul732.html

JohnEngland
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Any word on the table of contents?

UPDATE: ok, found it! Looks like a compelling book that's sure to spark debate:

1) Abortion
2) Assassination
3) Austrian Economics
4) Bipartisanship
5) Business Cycle
6) Campaign Finance Reform
7) Capital Punishment
8) Central Intelligence Agency
9) Civil Disobedience
10) Conscription
11) Demagogues
12) Democracy
13) Discrimination
14) Education
15) Empire
16) Envy
17) Evolution versus Creation
18) Executive Power
19) Foreign Aid
20) Four Freedoms
21) Global Warming
22) Gun Control
23) Hate Crimes
24) Immigration
25) Insurance
26) Keynesianism
27) Lobbying
28) Marriage
29) Medical Care
30) Monetary Policy
31) Moral Hazard
32) Morality in Government
33) Noble Lie
34) Patriotism
35) Political Correctness
36) Prohibition
37) Public Land
38) Racism
39) Religion and Liberty
40) Security
41) Slavery
42) States' Rights
43) Statistics
44) Surveillance
45) Taxes
46) Terrorism
47) Torture
48) Trade Policies
49) Unions
50) Zionism

Maybe as one of Glenn Beck's final acts at Fox, we could get him to promote Ron's book?

BuddyRey
04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
WOW! Judging from the excerpt posted by Wesker and the table of contents, this book will be the most frank and candid thing yet written by Ron Paul. This looks a heck of a lot like him taking the gloves off.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Ron Paul if for slavery and worker exploitation #liberalview

Feeding the Abscess
04-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Throwing. Down.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
We're 0 for 10 here in Amerika.

This is the Appendix to Ron Paul's new book, Liberty Defined.

1. Rights belong to individuals, not groups; they derive from our nature and can neither be granted nor taken away by government.

2. All peaceful, voluntary economic and social associations are permitted; consent is the basis of the social and economic order.

3. Justly acquired property is privately owned by individuals and voluntary groups, and this ownership cannot be arbitrarily voided by governments.

4. Government may not redistribute private wealth or grant special privileges to any individual or group.

5. Individuals are responsible for their own actions; government cannot and should not protect us from ourselves.

6. Government may not claim the monopoly over a people's money and governments must never engage in official counterfeiting, even in the name of macroeconomic stability.

7. Aggressive wars, even when called preventative, and even when they pertain only to trade relations, are forbidden.

8. Jury nullification, that is, the right of jurors to judge the law as well as the facts, is a right of the people and the courtroom norm.

9. All forms of involuntary servitude are prohibited, not only slavery but also conscription, forced association, and forced welfare distribution.

10. Government must obey the law that it expects other people to obey and thereby must never use force to mold behavior, manipulate social outcomes, manage the economy, or tell other countries how to behave.

Sola_Fide
04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Any word on the table of contents?

UPDATE: ok, found it! Looks like a compelling book that's sure to spark debate:

1) Abortion
2) Assassination
3) Austrian Economics
4) Bipartisanship
5) Business Cycle
6) Campaign Finance Reform
7) Capital Punishment
8) Central Intelligence Agency
9) Civil Disobedience
10) Conscription
11) Demagogues
12) Democracy
13) Discrimination
14) Education
15) Empire
16) Envy
17) Evolution versus Creation
18) Executive Power
19) Foreign Aid
20) Four Freedoms
21) Global Warming
22) Gun Control
23) Hate Crimes
24) Immigration
25) Insurance
26) Keynesianism
27) Lobbying
28) Marriage
29) Medical Care
30) Monetary Policy
31) Moral Hazard
32) Morality in Government
33) Noble Lie
34) Patriotism
35) Political Correctness
36) Prohibition
37) Public Land
38) Racism
39) Religion and Liberty
40) Security
41) Slavery
42) States' Rights
43) Statistics
44) Surveillance
45) Taxes
46) Terrorism
47) Torture
48) Trade Policies
49) Unions
50) Zionism

Maybe as one of Glenn Beck's final acts at Fox, we could get him to promote Ron's book?

GREAT idea for Ron to start the book off with abortion (if that is in fact the order of it)!

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
GREAT idea for Ron to start the book off with abortion (if that is in fact the order of it)!

It is, but it's simply alphabetical order.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
04-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Man I cant wait until this book comes out. We got to make sure this goes #1 on Amazon and NYT Best sellers.

Wesker1982
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
WOW! Judging from the excerpt posted by Wesker and the table of contents, this book will be the most frank and candid thing yet written by Ron Paul. This looks a heck of a lot like him taking the gloves off.

I am thinking the same thing. It doesn't look like he is going to hold anything back... ;)

JohnEngland
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Yeah, here's the link:

http://software.newsstand.com/bookrdr/hbg-live/BookBrowse.html?a=GkcraRBjAR9qn0lqj0PnsEKlnR3rU8qA fDWDhoKPC%2BZdmLftfMhircsz%2F%2Fe0xqarWfzn8G8W6wdS VPUefqOK487wwOe4LsmB2asdMzJtAYs7TVOtxvsdUMQX0YrFB0 VZ&z=hbg

This is basically Ron Paul's campaign manifesto. We need every Republican primary voters, Tea Partier and the rest to read it! Make it an Easter present for your family and friends!

Dreamofunity
04-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah, here's the link:

http://software.newsstand.com/bookrdr/hbg-live/BookBrowse.html?a=GkcraRBjAR9qn0lqj0PnsEKlnR3rU8qA fDWDhoKPC%2BZdmLftfMhircsz%2F%2Fe0xqarWfzn8G8W6wdS VPUefqOK487wwOe4LsmB2asdMzJtAYs7TVOtxvsdUMQX0YrFB0 VZ&z=hbg

This is basically Ron Paul's campaign manifesto. We need every Republican primary voters, Tea Partier and the rest to read it! Make it an Easter present for your family and friends!

Wow, they're offering 29 chapters up for free?

QueenB4Liberty
04-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Wow I can't wait!! :D

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
What does Ron seek to achieve talking about evolution?

Teaser Rate
04-07-2011, 05:08 PM
What does Ron seek to achieve talking about evolution?

Spreading basic science literacy to a population which really needs it?

Travlyr
04-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Cool! I can't wait to read it. :)

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Spreading basic science literacy to a population which really needs it?

This made me laugh for some reason.

You realize, right, that Ron Paul is a Christian.

sailingaway
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Sorry, thought I looked but didn't see this.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Interesting.

Well, I now think I know why the buzz about which Paul we get to promote. Depending on where he goes with some of those chapters, he could provoke some interesting reactions. Like, more than we want to try to spin all at once...

sailingaway
04-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Wow. Do we want to post that much of it? We want people to buy it and make it a best seller....

Teaser Rate
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
This made me laugh for some reason.

You realize, right, that Ron Paul is a Christian.

Since he has a B.S. in biology and an M.D. I'd venture a guess that he knows a thing or two about evolution.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Since he has a B.S. in biology and an M.D. I'd venture a guess that he knows a thing or two about evolution.

I am thinking that your definition might just be a tad different than his, but I can only speak for myself.

I have a Bachelor of Science and that is why I know Darwin was full of shit.

Take care.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
So that's why they call it a B.S. Because it certifies that you can spot it!

Feeding the Abscess
04-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Taken in accord with the ten principles of a free society, I think some people here will be disappointed when Ron supports gay marriage in the book.

There's no way he's going anywhere but there, after the voluntaryist association mention in the ten principles section. It'd be a 20-ton anvil of cognitive dissonance, otherwise.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:37 PM
So that's why they call it a B.S. Because it certifies that you can spot it!

lol

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Taken in accord with the ten principles of a free society, I think some people here will be disappointed when Ron supports gay marriage in the book.

There's no way he's going anywhere but there, after the voluntaryist association mention in the ten principles section. It'd be a 20-ton anvil of cognitive dissonance, otherwise.

Sure, but that doesn't follow that he would want a federal law about it, either.

sailingaway
04-07-2011, 06:41 PM

No, he says the govt should stay out of marriage. The marriage issue is that the way the laws are currently posed they either interfere with associations or with freedom of religion if your religion believes x,y,z about marriage. If govt is out all together, there is no religion issue. Churches determine for themselves.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Sure, but that doesn't follow that he would want a federal law about it, either.

That's the big deal. People can disagree with Paul all they want. But when it comes to supporting him, the question simply becomes, do you want the federal government to do it? Because being POTUS means heading the federal executive, not being fifty governors at once.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Ron doesn't care if gays get married, as he mentioned in the Stossel interview.

Feeding the Abscess
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Sailing, lwp:

I'm aware. I wasn't talking about you guys. I was thinking more along the lines of FrankRep.

I just read the chapter, he said that everybody's definition should be tolerated, as long as nobody enforces their view on anyone else. He also calls the people who advocate a marriage amendment or anything similar as being "willing to have the state use the law to force a narrow definition of marriage on everyone without a hint of tolerance". The only limits he placed on marriage was children and the mentally handicapped.

I'm very glad to hear/read that he won't be soconning it up during the primaries. Run Ron Run!

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah, here's the link:

//

Is this copyrighted material being hosted with Ron Paul's permission????

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Sailing, lwp:

I'm aware. I wasn't talking about you guys. I was thinking more along the lines of FrankRep.

I just read the chapter, he said that everybody's definition should be tolerated, as long as nobody enforces their view on anyone else. He also calls the people who advocate a marriage amendment or anything similar as being "willing to have the state use the law to force a narrow definition of marriage on everyone without a hint of tolerance". The only limits he placed on marriage was children and the mentally handicapped.

I'm very glad to hear that he won't be soconning it up during the primaries. Run Ron Run!

That would also include those who want a federal law allowing gay marriage.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Is this copyrighted material being hosted with Ron Paul's permission????

LOL. Ron Paul DOES NOT WANT his ideas to be spread. He is a copyright freak that won't allow one page from his 300 plus pages book to be copied and distributed.

It is also on Lew Rockwell's website. I doubt Lew is breaking the law in this case.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:54 PM
LOL. Ron Paul DOES NOT WANT his ideas to be spread. He is a copyright freak that won't allow one page from his 300 plus pages book to be copied and distributed.

lol right back atcha, dude.

Twenty-nine chapters is a bit more than one page. Or, didn't you notice.

My question was did he give his permission for so much of his book to be placed online?

Your reply was not an answer.

It's really a quite simple question. Did he, or did he not, give his permission.

Feeding the Abscess
04-07-2011, 06:56 PM
That would also include those who want a federal law allowing gay marriage.

If you are to take his statements to their logical conclusion, one should come to the conclusion that if the federal government is legislating in support of traditional marriage, that that is wrong and should be changed.

From his language here, it's clear his support of DOMA is fiscally based; if SS etc were to be removed from the equation, Ron would vote for abolishing current marriage laws, or vote for an amendment legalizing alternative marriages.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
If you are to take his statements to their logical conclusion, one should come to the conclusion that if the federal government is legislating in support of traditional marriage, that that is wrong and should be changed.

He doesn't think the federal government should be involved in marriage. AT ALL.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Ron Paul on evolution (page 104):

My personal view is that recognizing the validity of an evolutionary process does not support atheism nor should it diminish one's view about God and the Universe.

From my point of view, this is a debate about science and religion (and I wish it could be more civil!) and should not involve politicians.

+1 to Ron for this:

and should not involve politicians

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
or vote for an amendment legalizing alternative marriages.

I seriously doubt it. Rather, I think he would send it all down to the states and to the people to decide.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM

So long as he is sworn to preserve, protect and defend the Tenth Amendment, not even to tell the states how to handle it.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Ron Paul on evolution (page 104):

+1 to Ron for this:

Yup.

Evolutionary PROCESS.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Wow, they're offering 29 chapters up for free?

No, only a few pages. You can't read more than the beginning of every topic.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Yup.

Evolutionary PROCESS.

Who cares? Did I say otherwise?

ClayTrainor
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Ron Paul looks like he's really stepping his game up with this book. I can't wait to read it!

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:11 PM
My impression from reading a few pages is this:

This is unmistakably part of his campaign. It looks like writing the book was an exercise in figuring what to answer when asked about different topics.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:12 PM

It is also on Lew Rockwell's website. I doubt Lew is breaking the law in this case.

The Table of Contents is a tad bit different than TWENTY NINE chapters of his book. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?286731-Ten-Principles-of-a-Free-Society-from-Liberty-Defined&p=3197577&viewfull=1#post3197577

Note: Does this mean I should negative rep you back for your "ignorant post after ignorant post", as you just did me? Since, you clearly are the ignorant one, here.

Feeding the Abscess
04-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Right, but you're applying black and white to where there is currently gray. Or more appropriately, all black and no white. A bill saying "all consensual marriages are cool" would seemingly be acceptable and possibly voted for by Ron, provided the benefits issue were not in the equation.

In all, the book's looking studly.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 07:13 PM
My impression from reading a few pages is this:

This is unmistakably part of his campaign. It looks like writing the book was an exercise in figuring what to answer when asked about different topics.

Exactly.

Answers to questions that cannot be answered in a 20 second sound bite or in a hostile pseudo "debate" environment.

Sola_Fide
04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
The Table of Contents is a tad bit different than TWENTY NINE chapters of his book. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?286731-Ten-Principles-of-a-Free-Society-from-Liberty-Defined&p=3197577&viewfull=1#post3197577

Note: Does this mean I should negative rep you back for your "ignorant post after ignorant post", as you just did me? Since, you clearly are the ignorant one, here.

Low Preference Guy is like that little brother that wants to be a turd just because he knows he can get away with it. He neg reps me like once a week.:)

In fact, hey LPG, where's my neg rep for this thread? Come on buddy...i know you want to give it to me. Where is it?

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM

It is not. It's only the introduction of each chapter, and not all chapters.

Now, regarding copyright, trying to enforce it when you are trying to spread ideas is ridiculous. Ron will not ever resort to copyright to prevent his ideas from spreading.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Right, but you're applying black and white to where there is currently gray. Or more appropriately, all black and no white. A bill saying "all consensual marriages are cool" would seemingly be acceptable and possibly voted for by Ron, provided the benefits issue were not in the equation.

In all, the book's looking studly.

I'm just saying that I doubt he would take that stance at all. Because that would be making a federal law about marriage that all states would have to follow. In general, that is usually not the stance he takes on issues.

Even on abortion, something that he absolutely abhors, he thinks there shouldn't be a one-size-fits-all and that it should be sent down to the states and to the people.

He walks his talk. Even when it is hard to do so.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Low Preference Guy is like that little brother that wants to be a turd just because he knows he can get away with it. He neg reps me like once a week.:)

In fact, hey LPG, where's my neg rep for this thread? Come on buddy...i know you want to give it to me. Where is it?

Yeah, well, most folks would have the guts to debate it in the thread. Those who do not, reach for the negative rep. button.

sailingaway
04-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Now, regarding copyright, trying to enforce it when you are trying to spread ideas is ridiculous. Ron will not ever resort to copyright to prevent his ideas from spreading.

I think he said somewhere that the money from this book goes to libertypac, so in a sense it will FUND spreading his ideas...

Ricky201
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
He wrote a chapter that I thought would scare me which was the Evolution vs Creationism. And I'm thinking oh god he's going to piss some people off with it...and I was being foolish after reading the first 2 paragraphs. I think Dylan Ratigan said it best about how Ron frames a debate. He handles the topic amazingly well. This book may be his masterpiece.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
He wrote a chapter that I thought would scare me which was the Evolution vs Creationism. And I'm thinking oh god he's going to piss some people off with it...and I was being foolish after reading the first 2 paragraphs. I think Dylan Ratigan said it best about how Ron frames a debate. He handles the topic amazingly well. This book may be his masterpiece.

He also trashes Roosevelt. Hope lots of people read it.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM

It's really not up to you to decide whether he should or shouldn't give away his book for free.

sailingaway
04-07-2011, 07:27 PM
SPEAKING of marriage, this may be why Ron did so poorly in the Mississippi GOP PPP poll: http://www.americablog.com/2011/04/miss-republicans-think-inter-racial.html

He got only 2% overall

Others fair better with that crowd:

Palin's net favorability with folks who think interracial marriage should be illegal (+55 at 74/19) is 17 points higher than it is with folks who think interracial marriage should be legal (+38 at 64/26.)

I'm afraid to ask if Mississippi has closed primaries...

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Well then, you shouldn't have any trouble coming up with something that shows he gave his permission. Now, should you. When you get it, please post it here.

The preview of the book is from the people who sell the book.

It's really not up to you to decide whether he should or shouldn't give away his book for free.

I never claimed that, but I know that Ron is too smart to use copyright to prevent his own ideas from spreading.

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
The preview of the book is from the people who sell the book.

Ok. Thank you. It must be ok then.

I never claimed that, but I know that Ron is too smart to use copyright to prevent his own ideas from spreading.

His "ideas" are not unique to his book, you know. They have been around for ages.

If you want to use the book, BUY IT. Buy tons of them if you want and hand them out to everyone you know. The money goes to his Liberty PAC. Or, are you thinking that he doesn't care if his PAC gets the money?

If and when he decides to offer it for free, I'm sure he will tell us and it will be hosted on Lew Rockwell's site.

Confucius says... Don't steal from Ron Paul.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:34 PM
If you want to use the book, BUY IT. Buy tons of them if you want and hand them out to everyone you know. The money goes to his Liberty PAC. If and when he decides to offer it for free, I'm sure he will tell us and it will be hosted on Lew Rockwell's site.

Confucius says... Don't steal from Ron Paul.

Where did you get that I would do otherwise? Why are you making this random hysterical rant?

LibertyEagle
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Where did you get that I would do otherwise? Why are you making this random hysterical rant?

Your comments. But, nice to know that you don't plan on ripping it off. :)

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Your comments. But, nice to know that you don't plan on ripping it off. :)

My comments said nothing of the sort. It's your delusional imagination.

low preference guy
04-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Another great quote from Ron's new book, this one from the chapter on Civil Disobedience.

However, our courts are just as "corrupted" with bad ideas as are the executive and legislative branches of our government. Great changes have been achieved through civil disobedience, and the heroes who engaged in it deserve our gratitude. Their real reward comes from the inner satisfaction of pursuing truth as they see it -not from a sense of sacrificing for the greater good.

So which other presidential candidate even mentions "civil disobedience" in their book?

Matt Collins
04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
http://LibertyDefinedBookBomb.com (http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/)

http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/img/banner_728_90.jpg (http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/)

http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/img/banner_468_60.jpg (http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/)

http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/img/banner_234_60.jpg (http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/)

http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/img/banner_300_250.jpg (http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/)

http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/img/banner_150_200.jpg (http://libertydefinedbookbomb.com/)

Matt Collins
04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Bump