PDA

View Full Version : NYC - Cop Nearly Doors Cyclist, Then Chases And Arrests Her

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Damn uppity Mundanes! Will they ever learn?

Cop Nearly Doors Cyclist, Then Chases And Arrests Her

http://gothamist.com/2011/04/06/cop_nearly_doors_cyclist_then_chase.php

On Monday, cyclist message boards lit up with outrage over the story of a woman who was arrested after supposedly running a red light on her bicycle on Amsterdam Avenue. But it turns out the truth is actually more outrageous: Christina Thede, the cyclist in question, tells us she didn't run a red light at all. Her crime? Criticizing a plainclothes cop who nearly doored her.

Thede, a 28-year-old theater technician on the Upper West Side, tells us she was biking home on Sunday around 6 p.m. when the driver's side door of a double parked black car popped open suddenly on Amsterdam between 76th and 77th Streets. "I had to brake so abruptly that a delivery biker behind me ran into me," says Thede. "I had a verbal exchange with the driver in which I told him to watch what he was doing." Then she rode on, but soon realized that the guy had gotten back into his car and was zooming up behind her. She still had no idea this man was an officer of the law, and the situation devolved from there:

He was driving after me and I was scared. He kept slowing down alongside me, so I cut all the way over to the left lane. But he angrily skidded to a stop in front of me, pulling his car perpendicular to traffic in the left lane. Then I got off my bike and tried to walk my bike onto the sidewalk because I wasn't going to run out into traffic. That's when he grabbed the back of my bike and started pulling it.
He didn't say he was a cop and I thought, 'This guy's crazy, he's attacking me!' I screamed for help and he started restraining my arms and holding me so I couldn't move. People on the street stopped and started asking him what he was doing. I did not hear him say he was a police officer or see any indication he was a police officer, so I was terrified. Then an NYPD squad car arrived and my initial thought was that they were going to save me from this guy; I figured the bystanders had called 911.

But instead of handcuffing her assailant, they slapped the cuffs on Thede, and that's when she realized that it was a policeman who had chased her. "I asked one of the police officers who was telling me to calm down if this guy and the passenger in his car were really cops," Thede recalls. "And she confirmed that they were from the Central Park precinct. I overheard a bystander say, 'I think she ran a red light.' But that's not true. He was hotheaded and couldn't take someone telling him what he did was wrong so he needed to come after me and teach me a lesson."

Thede was charged with reckless operation of a bicycle and disorderly conduct, and spent about an hour at the local precinct station house. During that time, the cop who arrested her, one "Sgt. Santiago" according to the summons, tried to justify the arrest. Thede says, "He told me that when I went around the door of his car to continue, that that was reckless because I was going into traffic. He maintained that I wasn't allowed to swerve around. But I came to a complete stop, exchanged words with him, then rode around his still-opened door. He said he arrested me because he was concerned for his safety."

We're waiting to hear back from the NYPD on this, but Thede's lawyer believes the tickets will be dismissed, and she tells us she's considering suing the city. So if you were one of the bystanders and happened to take photos or video, she'd love to hear from you! (nycgreenbike@gmail.com)

jkr
04-07-2011, 02:04 PM
when?

WHEN!?!?!?

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
when?

WHEN!?!?!?

Not the best writing over at the "Gothamist".

Sunday 3, April 2011

roho76
04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
when?

WHEN!?!?!?

The story was from 4/6/2011 and the story says "on Monday" so using logical deduction would venture to say 4/4/2011.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 02:25 PM
The story was from 4/6/2011 and the story says "on Monday" so using logical deduction would venture to say 4/4/2011.

Monday is when the message board lit up.

tells us she was biking home on Sunday around 6 p.m

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Race car driver Donnie Allison used to tell a joke about the time someone came to visit him. He was riding with the guy and told him to run a red light. 'It's o.k., the cops here all know me.' Next red light, same thing. Then he came to a green light.

'Stop! Stop!' screamed Donnie.

'Why?' the guy asked. 'It's green.'

'Bobby might be coming the other way!' Bobby Allison was Donnie's brother.

Yeah, some people are above the law and society accepts that, right? Except if some people are completely immune to the rule of law, you get a Nixon--or worse, three wars at once.

Doesn't anyone in New York City have enough sense to give special training to the cops they give promotions to, and to include a mention that they don't know how high your adrenaline level may be if you aren't in a marked squad car, so you should keep your head and do the things you expect civilians to do? Does anyone make the connection between incidents like this and revenue-enhancing 'unmarked squad cars' making high-speed intercepts of speeders?

Everything about this screams that the plainclothes cop was in a full uniform and a marked unit the day before. And he's an idiot.

LibertyRevolution
04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I hate cyclists... You want to complain that a car opened its door and you had to stop so abruptly that the cyclist behind you hit you?
Do you not expect cars to open doors? Do you expect me to check for your bicycle before opening my door?
My car is bigger than your bike, you should have to maneuver around me.
In today's society, why cyclists and pedestrians are granted the right way over a cars is beyond me.
Cyclists and pedestrians can stop faster than cars, they want to share the road with me, they should have to avoid me, I should not have to avoid them.

I highly doubt that the NYPD cop didn't identify himself as a police officer, I find it more likely she didn't hear him over her ipod..

P.S. I hate cops, but I hate cyclists more.

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 03:01 PM
The arrest is/was unnecessary and rude.
But she should be pissed at the guy behind her that paid no attention to her stop lights.

;)

aGameOfThrones
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I hate cyclists... You want to complain that a car opened its door and you had to stop so abruptly that the cyclist behind you hit you?
Do you not expect cars to open doors? Do you expect me to check for your bicycle before opening my door?
In today's society, why cyclists and pedestrians are granted the right way over a cars is beyond me.
Cyclists and pedestrians can stop faster than cars, they want to share the road with me, they should have to avoid me, I should not have to avoid them.

I highly doubt that the NYPD cop didn't identify himself as a police officer, I find it more likely she didn't hear him over her ipod..

And yet your comment is pathetic. The officer's use of state sponsor terrorism escapes you.

acptulsa
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM

When parallel parked on a city street, yes. And the odds are your city statutes do, too. Furthermore, I do watch out for that. But when I'm trying to share the street with a line of parked cars on my right, and with a line of moving cars on my left, and you've been sitting in the car talking on the phone (or listening to the end of that song or whatever) since before I came around the corner, why would I pay more attention to your vehicle than the ones that are moving?

Price of living in a city is you have to remember you're not the only person in it.

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Bring on the tyranny baby! Heap it, heap it, heap it... HOORAY!!!

fisharmor
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Damn uppity Mundanes! Will they ever learn?

..."He was hotheaded and couldn't take someone telling him what he did was wrong so he needed to come after me and teach me a lesson."

Pretty sure he did.
Not the one he wanted to teach, though.

PreDeadMan
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
fuck police officers abolish these mother fuckers get some competition! i'm willing to bet every single government department would go under if they had to compete with the private sector!!!!

nate895
04-07-2011, 05:17 PM

We can't have common courtesy for the weaker user of the roads? I mean, come on, this comment is just ridiculous. I hate when bicyclists abuse their privileges just as much as the next guy, but to say that they should look out for you opening your door is just ridiculous, and then to use force for saying "watch out" is insane. Absolute insanity.