PDA

View Full Version : CO-Police pepper spray 8 year old.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
"Yeah, that'll teach that little punk."

"Hey Chief, is that four year old filming us with his Fisher Price video camera?"

"You know, you're right Lou! Get her!"

Hut hut hut hut hut

Colorado police pepper-spray misbehaving boy, 8

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHILD_PEPPER_SPRAYED?SITE=NCKIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

DENVER (AP) -- Eight-year-old Aidan Elliott had thrown a TV and chairs at his Colorado elementary school and was trying to use a cart to bust through a door to an office where teachers and other students fled for safety.

No one could calm the boy, not even the staff in a program for children with behavior problems like him. So they called police, who had intervened with Aidan twice before.

Police found him with a foot-long piece of wood trim with a knife-like point in one hand and a cardboard box in the other.

"Come get me, f-----," he said.

When they couldn't calm him down, one squirted Aidan with pepper spray. He blocked it with the cardboard box.

A second squirt hit the youngster in the side of the head, and down he went, according to an account of the Feb. 22 standoff in a police report first obtained by KUSA-TV

Icymudpuppy
04-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Wow, unable to restrain an 8 year old with USD techniques. I'd say that cop needs to go back to training if an 8 year can whoop-em.

heavenlyboy34
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
tough cops there. Everyone knows those 8 year olds are scary as hell. /sarcasm

goldencane
04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Whats that cop going to do with a rowdy 18 year old? Shoot him in the foot? Unfortunately, probably yes.

MelissaWV
04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
In all fairness, an 8-year-old throwing televisions and chairs and ramming a cart into a door where people have fled his presence, then saying "come get me, fuckers!" is not entirely all there. I don't agree with the pepper spray, but good Lord... that is one fucked up kid. Probably possessed.

Kregisen
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't see much of a problem. You rather the cops tackle him to the ground? I'm not saying pepper spray isn't painful, but come on, it's ending the situation without using physical force.

Icymudpuppy
04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't see much of a problem. You rather the cops tackle him to the ground? I'm not saying pepper spray isn't painful, but come on, it's ending the situation without using physical force.

You've apparently never been sprayed.

Part of my military police training was getting hit full in the face. It sure as damn hell is FORCE, Like Fire! It burns like nothing I've ever experienced. It was worse than the gas chamber in basic.

I'd much rather be pinned down by a larger opponent in an MMA fight.

CaliforniaMom
04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
After giving this some thought... they really needed to stop him if he was pointing a sharp weapon at his class and the police officers. Though pepper spray may not have been the best choice, at least they didn't beat him to the ground, tase him, or use deadly force to take his weapon (like what they'd do to an adult threatening them with a spear). While the police went a little too far by using the spray, it's certainly not the worst thing I've heard about police.

Dr.3D
04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Bet he doesn't do that again.

Kylie
04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Why didn't the teacher just take the shit away and whoop his ass, ya know, like it used to be?

Why has everyone put up with bullshit like that from him? If he is violent(which it sounds like he could be, uh, is), why is he in school with others? He's freakin violent. That should not be allowed in school, unless the people defending themselves may also be violent.

Kregisen
04-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Part of my military police training was getting hit full in the face. It sure as damn hell is FORCE, Like Fire! It burns like nothing I've ever experienced. It was worse than the gas chamber in basic.

Haha touché I retract my opening statement....though it's still 10 times better than tazed I imagine.

sparebulb
04-06-2011, 10:42 PM
If the reports are accurate, this child is just wasting time and the taxpayer's money by even being in public school. But then again, I am totally opposed to the public school system as it exists today.

PreDeadMan
04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
a crazy kid that wants to hurt people and break property... future soldier :x

Mach
04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
What kind of drugs (pills) do they have him on..... bet?

The more they keep trying to control kids, younger and younger, with pharm. drugs, the more of this craziness you will see.

Kylie
04-06-2011, 11:08 PM
I actually think they need to get all these kids off drugs. Call me nutty, but there is something "different" about them. But I don't know that it's a bad thing. Just different.

It just shows the fallacy of the war on drugs, doesn't it?

libertybrewcity
04-06-2011, 11:08 PM
who cares if he is unruly? cops shouldn't be involved in the first place.

Mach
04-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I actually think they need to get all these kids off drugs. Call me nutty, but there is something "different" about them. But I don't know that it's a bad thing. Just different.

It just shows the fallacy of the war on drugs, doesn't it?

Every time there is a school shooting, it is a kid on their drugs.

who cares if he is unruly? cops shouldn't be involved in the first place.

Damn straight!

squarepusher
04-06-2011, 11:45 PM
What kind of drugs (pills) do they have him on..... bet?

The more they keep trying to control kids, younger and younger, with pharm. drugs, the more of this craziness you will see.

amphetamines are healthy, what are you talking about?

coastie
04-07-2011, 12:58 AM

This.

There were many many times I could have articulated using it-but never did. It was hands down the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life .The can I got hit with was fresh out of the box:eek:.

I'm not sure if every police department in our serfdom requires being sprayed to carry it or not, but using this shit on an eight year old?

TBH, I guess I would not have been any more surprised if they just shot him nowadays.

If this happens to my kid, I can assure you I'll become a thread title here shortly thereafter. ;):mad:

prmd142
04-07-2011, 02:03 AM
how many of you would send your kids to schools where these type of kids are the rule than an exception. it is either my kid or that kid in the class. my God, an 8yr old pointing sharp objects at others and scaring the shit out of them and using curse words (assuming that the report is true of course)! what if some of those kids couldn't get away and he had stabbed a couple of them in the eyes? would you be still looking at him the same way. or is your hatred for police is blinding you from recognizing how dangerous the situation really was to other kids. I'm not supporting everything that police does (I'm an anarco-capitalist). infact the cop could've handled it better I think, what do I know. but I do recognize that the kid was a danger to other kids and that to me is more worrying than how the cop handled the situation. Sometimes I feel many here are simply blinded by their hatred for anything associated with the state that their reasoning faculties are paralyzed.

if my kid was among his classmates, I would be thanking this officer! and you know you would be too. and before someone jumps in.... No, it is not normal for an 8yr kid to be behaving the way this kid did.

Diurdi
04-07-2011, 03:03 AM

I'd much rather be pinned down by a larger opponent in an MMA fight. Altough it burns like hell, unless you're wearing contact lenses or are allergic to paprika you won't sustain any longterm damage. So I think it was better for the kid that he got sprayed than tackled by a cop. They would've probably crushed the living shit out of that kid.

Ofcourse they could've also just peacefully grabbed the "weapon" of an eight year old kid, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask. 8-year olds are dangerous after all.

123tim
04-07-2011, 04:16 AM
how many of you would send your kids to schools where these type of kids are the rule than an exception. it is either my kid or that kid in the class. my God, an 8yr old pointing sharp objects at others and scaring the shit out of them and using curse words (assuming that the report is true of course)! what if some of those kids couldn't get away and he had stabbed a couple of them in the eyes? would you be still looking at him the same way. or is your hatred for police is blinding you from recognizing how dangerous the situation really was to other kids. I'm not supporting everything that police does (I'm an anarco-capitalist). infact the cop could've handled it better I think, what do I know. but I do recognize that the kid was a danger to other kids and that to me is more worrying than how the cop handled the situation. Sometimes I feel many here are simply blinded by their hatred for anything associated with the state that their reasoning faculties are paralyzed.

if my kid was among his classmates, I would be thanking this officer! and you know you would be too. and before someone jumps in.... No, it is not normal for an 8yr kid to be behaving the way this kid did.

Here's my take on this:

I really don't believe that this is about hating the police. It's about hatred of a situation that should have been dealt with much differently. It's also about our society thinking that it's ok for police to use more and more aggressive tactics and getting involved where they shouldn't be.

A pointed stick is still just a stick. When I went to school twenty years ago, the principle would have had this situation handled in about 10 seconds. Surely, highly trained police officers didn't need to pepper spray this 8 year old child?

I would also like to note that it sounds like the student was alone with the officers - Apparently everyone else was hiding in an office, so there was no current threat to any of the students.

There were eight students with Aidan in the classroom, Reeves said, and teachers removed them after he became violent. They barricaded themselves in an office, as he tried to bust in, Davis said.

I'm a parent too. However, I wouldn't be thanking the police for what they did....I would be criticizing the school administration for what they didn't do.

The next police incident might be either one of our children being pepper sprayed by police
for talking out of turn in class.

I feel that if we really want to make a difference, we should give back the schools the ability to correct disruptive, misbehaving, students before the problem escalates to the level of the situation of the student mentioned in this post.

Just my opinion...thank you for yours.

prmd142
04-07-2011, 06:06 AM
I did say that the police could've handled it better. what I'm worried about is the risk this kid poses to others in the class. Remember this is not the first time this kid went crazy. this is probably the third time as per the report. and the earlier two times too police had to come down to handle the situation. I mean, how many more times had he shown such behaviour in the class we cannot know coz police was not involved in those episodes. how can you be at peace, when you know that one of the classmates of your kid has a history of going crazy. And that he gets pepper sprayed will be the last thing on my mind.

Given a choice between pepper spraying an 8yr kid or chances of grievous injury to innocent kids I would choose the former everytime, no questions asked especially knowing that the kid has a history of such behavior.

Given a choice between pepper spraying an 8yr kid or better method of bringing the kid under control I would choose the latter. No doubt about that. The title of this thread simply targets the inefficiency/brutality of the police. I don't dispute that. but I don't want to overlook the danger signs the kid has shown either. Our distaste for the state shouldn't cloud our judgment of the nature of the situation.

Matthew Zak
04-07-2011, 06:19 AM

The report said the police had had to intervene twice before with that kid. He clearly can't handle public school and someone, somewhere wasn't doing their job or living up to their responsibility to allow that kid to act out in such an extreme way for a third time.

I still don't believe pepper spray was necessary. Not at all. He's 8 years old. Any policemen can apprehend an 8 year old with a stick. The police should have restrained the kid, called the parents at work and told them he needs to be in a special program.

prmd142
04-07-2011, 06:39 AM
The report said the police had had to intervene twice before with that kid. He clearly can't handle public school and someone, somewhere wasn't doing their job or living up to their responsibility to allow that kid to act out in such an extreme way for a third time.

Exactly! that fact should be the primary point of concern and discussion, not what the police did although what they did was inefficient and stupid. But that is secondary. This thread is mainly targeted at the police ignoring what you stated (in bold) and what I agree with.

fisharmor
04-07-2011, 06:56 AM

I still don't believe pepper spray was necessary. Not at all. He's 8 years old. Any policemen can apprehend an 8 year old with a stick. The police should have restrained the kid, called the parents at work and told them he needs to be in a special program.

I can't believe some of the responses here.
The police acted appropriately according to training. I'm sure his supervisors and peers will back him up, and when they do, that'll prove that they're doing a good job.
Police work is more dangerous than any other profession in history. Police are eighteen times more likely to die than the men who invaded Omaha beach. They're fighting a war that criminals started against them, and they need to have as broad a latitude as they can get in order to continue their struggle for order. Without them, we'd all be banging rocks together for fire.

Also, this kid needs to stay in his fucking box, already. Obviously he's not responding to public schooling. This can't possibly be a problem with public schooling. It's never wrong. If there's a problem, we need to figure out how to get this kid to conform to the system. His parents and doctor obviously have him on the wrong drugs. Also, it's clear that CPS needs to get involved. The kid is at high risk for people in his life attempting corporal punishment. In fact, that's probably what got him to this point in the first place, so there's no option anymore but to have CPS inspect the home every week. When they get the evidence they need to convince a judge (who, I might add, is completely immune to corruption), then they can get this kid into a loving foster home where he'll get the drugs he needs.

Captain Shays
04-07-2011, 06:58 AM
This was my step son. He was shot FIVE TIMES by the school cop. Oh BTW, he was autistic. Now this article doesn't tell the whole story, nor did the "official" police report nor the investigation that was conducted by Horry County investigators. I can tell you this from the inside. The autopsy report showed that the final two shots including the fatal shot to Trevor's chest were fired from an angle which came from above Trevor while he was on the floor with three shots in him already. There were TEN shots fired by officer Rhoads in his office and the cops didn't find out where all the other bullets went until some were found by......and school custodian a week later. All the reports said that Trevor went into Rhoads' office and proceeded to stab him as if there was no reason. Well the day of the shooting I personally spoke with one of the officers at the scene and he told me that it looked like "suicide by cop". After a three week investigation their conclusion was "suicide my cop". Hey. This is my story and I'm sticking to it. But there was NOTHING in Trevor's behavior that would indicate that he was suicidal, depressed or had ANY reason to want to kill himself. According to his biological father who was very intimate with Trevor and had a great relationship with him everything was normal that day as Trevor went off to school. They even joked around a little. I can tell you this from personal experience with Trevor. That kid detested violence in every form. He had never had a fight or a violent outburst of ANY kind his entire life. When me and him would mess around like we did just a couple of months before, he challenged me to show me how strong he was getting and he was, but when it came down't to it, I was able to throw him down like a rag doll and told him to work out more before our next visit. I am not a super strong guy by any means. Trevor had Asperberger's which is a highly functional form of autism. They say Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein probably had Aspergers. Trevor's vocabulary at the age of ten could embarrass college students and his teachers had fits trying to keep him challenged. He had a huge interest in history especially the WWII era and his father gave him a WWII relic bayonnet. No one knows why Trevor brought it into school that day but I will go to my death bed not believing that he intended to stab the school cop with it or hurt ANYONE else with it. EVERYONE who knew Trevor said it was completely inconsistent with his character. Oh the "stab wounds" that officer Rhoads suffered? They were all on his shoulder and none were deeper than a 1/3 inch and that from a 12 "knife". The ONLY account of what happened behind that closed door of Rhoad's office is from Rhoads himself. Even IF we are to believe Rhoads account of what happened that day it would amount to Trevor stabbing the cop and the cop firing off ten rounds and the last two while that kid was on the ground with three shots in him already.
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/11326047/officials-id-student-fatally-shot-after-stabbing-officer?redirected=true

Here are some other instances of police abuse in our country.

http://www.policebrutality.info/category/police-violence

http://brainz.org/30-cases-extreme-police-brutality-and-blatant-misconduct/

It's WAAAAAAAY out of control

fisharmor
04-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Yeah, in case you couldn't tell, I was attempting satire.
I'm really sorry to hear about your step son, Captain.
My best man's boy is autistic. His mother was just telling me last weekend how there's a program in southern VA to train police that the person they're dealing with might have a mental block and not be physically able to comply.
As far as I can tell it was a private effort. I suppose it's something, but I think that it's monumentally fucked up that the parents of autistic children need to organize to prevent the cops potentially murdering their children.

Krugerrand
04-07-2011, 07:03 AM
The police acted appropriately according to training. I'm sure his supervisors and peers will back him up, and when they do, that'll prove that they're doing a good job.
Police work is more dangerous than any other profession in history. Police are eighteen times more likely to die than the men who invaded Omaha beach. They're fighting a war that criminals started against them, and they need to have as broad a latitude as they can get in order to continue their struggle for order. Without them, we'd all be banging rocks together for fire.

Also, this kid needs to stay in his fucking box, already. Obviously he's not responding to public schooling. This can't possibly be a problem with public schooling. It's never wrong. If there's a problem, we need to figure out how to get this kid to conform to the system. His parents and doctor obviously have him on the wrong drugs. Also, it's clear that CPS needs to get involved. The kid is at high risk for people in his life attempting corporal punishment. In fact, that's probably what got him to this point in the first place, so there's no option anymore but to have CPS inspect the home every week. When they get the evidence they need to convince a judge (who, I might add, is completely immune to corruption), then they can get this kid into a loving foster home where he'll get the drugs he needs.

fisharmor - your response is disgusting ... you make no mention of the glaring need to raise both teacher and police salaries. How can we expect to help the children if you leave out these crucial details? Do you hate children?

Freedom 4 all
04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Whats that cop going to do with a rowdy 18 year old? Shoot him in the foot? Unfortunately, probably yes.

Don't be silly, it takes being a pretty good shot to shoot someone in foot, they probably would just murder him instead. Fun fact, there's actually a regulation in Canada that says no officer is permitted to use a firearm without clear intent to kill the suspect. In other words, they are not allowed to shoot a fleeing or unruly suspect in the foot, they need to shoot him in the chest or back instead.

fisharmor
04-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Don't be silly, it takes being a pretty good shot to shoot someone in foot, they probably would just murder him instead. Fun fact, there's actually a regulation in Canada that says no officer is permitted to use a firearm without clear intent to kill the suspect. In other words, they are not allowed to shoot a fleeing or unruly suspect in the foot, they need to shoot him in the chest or back instead.

This isn't an admission that we should even have cops, but this makes sense.
If there's a regulation that they can't fire without intent to kill, that actually holds them to a higher standard than non-LEOs are.
A CCW course will probably point out that regular citizens who intended to kill their assailants are in legal deep shit. You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop. If they can prove that you were shooting to kill, instead of just to stop, then you might not have to worry about food and housing for a long time, if you get my drift.

If it's assumed from the onset that LEOs are shooting to kill, not to stop, then it removes doubt about their intentions.
Of course, that assumes that they aren't our social betters and that the king's men would be treated as equals... when we all know how that would end up. Kill em intentionally? Sure, whatever you want, flatfoot. You're the man!

Freedom 4 all
04-07-2011, 07:36 AM
This was my step son. He was shot FIVE TIMES by the school cop. Oh BTW, he was autistic. Now this article doesn't tell the whole story, nor did the "official" police report nor the investigation that was conducted by Horry County investigators. I can tell you this from the inside. The autopsy report showed that the final two shots including the fatal shot to Trevor's chest were fired from an angle which came from above Trevor while he was on the floor with three shots in him already. There were TEN shots fired by officer Rhoads in his office and the cops didn't find out where all the other bullets went until some were found by......and school custodian a week later. All the reports said that Trevor went into Rhoads' office and proceeded to stab him as if there was no reason. Well the day of the shooting I personally spoke with one of the officers at the scene and he told me that it looked like "suicide by cop". After a three week investigation their conclusion was "suicide my cop". Hey. This is my story and I'm sticking to it. But there was NOTHING in Trevor's behavior that would indicate that he was suicidal, depressed or had ANY reason to want to kill himself. According to his biological father who was very intimate with Trevor and had a great relationship with him everything was normal that day as Trevor went off to school. They even joked around a little. I can tell you this from personal experience with Trevor. That kid detested violence in every form. He had never had a fight or a violent outburst of ANY kind his entire life. When me and him would mess around like we did just a couple of months before, he challenged me to show me how strong he was getting and he was, but when it came down't to it, I was able to throw him down like a rag doll and told him to work out more before our next visit. I am not a super strong guy by any means. Trevor had Asperberger's which is a highly functional form of autism. They say Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein probably had Aspergers. Trevor's vocabulary at the age of ten could embarrass college students and his teachers had fits trying to keep him challenged. He had a huge interest in history especially the WWII era and his father gave him a WWII relic bayonnet. No one knows why Trevor brought it into school that day but I will go to my death bed not believing that he intended to stab the school cop with it or hurt ANYONE else with it. EVERYONE who knew Trevor said it was completely inconsistent with his character. Oh the "stab wounds" that officer Rhoads suffered? They were all on his shoulder and none were deeper than a 1/3 inch and that from a 12 "knife". The ONLY account of what happened behind that closed door of Rhoad's office is from Rhoads himself. Even IF we are to believe Rhoads account of what happened that day it would amount to Trevor stabbing the cop and the cop firing off ten rounds and the last two while that kid was on the ground with three shots in him already.
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/11326047/officials-id-student-fatally-shot-after-stabbing-officer?redirected=true

Here are some other instances of police abuse in our country.

http://www.policebrutality.info/category/police-violence

http://brainz.org/30-cases-extreme-police-brutality-and-blatant-misconduct/

It's WAAAAAAAY out of control

OMG the comments on that story made me seriously hate humanity, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Freedom 4 all
04-07-2011, 07:41 AM
This isn't an admission that we should even have cops, but this makes sense.
If there's a regulation that they can't fire without intent to kill, that actually holds them to a higher standard than non-LEOs are.
A CCW course will probably point out that regular citizens who intended to kill their assailants are in legal deep shit. You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stop. If they can prove that you were shooting to kill, instead of just to stop, then you might not have to worry about food and housing for a long time, if you get my drift.

If it's assumed from the onset that LEOs are shooting to kill, not to stop, then it removes doubt about their intentions.
Of course, that assumes that they aren't our social betters and that the king's men would be treated as equals... when we all know how that would end up. Kill em intentionally? Sure, whatever you want, flatfoot. You're the man!

Lol, that's one way of looking at it. In reality, the regulation was originally a good thing designed to encourage police officers to use non-gun alternatives when shooting is not appropriate. The problem came when the definition of appropriate changed to "anything."

Captain Shays
04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
OMG the comments on that story made me seriously hate humanity, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

My wife wouldn't even read them. I on the other hand am way more confrontational and made it my duty to set the stupid Aholes straight. It all started with lies told by the cops and the media trying to cover for them. BTW believe it or not Rhoads was cleared of all wrong doing and he's back on the job.

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 12:38 PM
would you be still looking at him the same way. or is your hatred for police is blinding you from recognizing how dangerous the situation really was to other kids. I'm not supporting everything that police does (I'm an anarco-capitalist). infact the cop could've handled it better I think, what do I know. but I do recognize that the kid was a danger to other kids and that to me is more worrying than how the cop handled the situation. Sometimes I feel many here are simply blinded by their hatred for anything associated with the state that their reasoning faculties are paralyzed..

Huh?

Ana-cap philosophy does not even allow for the concept of armed state enforcers, let alone their existence.

teacherone
04-07-2011, 12:45 PM

in the top ten best rpf's posts!

+ rep

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
:(
WTF.
well at least a couple people "get it" but some of the responses in this thread are seriously troubling.
:confused:
It is a 8 yr old kid. Take the stick away and stand him in the corner. Call his parent.

Police response is not only unnecessary, but counter productive.

All in all

"You're everything we've come to expect from years of government training"
Z
:mad:

teacherone
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
:(
WTF.
well at least a couple people "get it" but some of the responses in this thread are seriously troubling.
:confused:
It is a 8 yr old kid. Take the stick away and stand him in the corner. Call his parent.

Police response is not only unnecessary, but counter productive.

All in all

:mad:

whom exactly are you :mad: at?

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
whom exactly are you :mad: at?

The "system".(State school, Police State,) This insanity and those that would support it and justify it.
The world that not only justifies this, but supports it.
The posts, here of all places, that condone this kind of response.

teacherone
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
The "system".(State school, Police State,) This insanity and those that would support it and justify it.
The world that not only justifies this, but supports it.
The posts, here of all places, that condone this kind of response.

only read a handful condoning.

maybe you missed some sarcasm?

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
only read a handful condoning.

maybe you missed some sarcasm?

I caught fisharmor 's sarcasm.
that was not what I was referring to.

how many of you would send your kids to schools where these type of kids are the rule than an exception. it is either my kid or that kid in the class. my God, an 8yr old pointing sharp objects at others and scaring the shit out of them and using curse words
<snip>

It seems anymore there are those that take the side of the state/authoritarians over liberty and common sense.

scottditzen
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Saw an interview with the mom last night.

Total denial.

She's the problem.

Rothbardian Girl
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Both the police and the kid were in the wrong here. I honestly have no idea what I would have done to get the kid to calm down, though. How exactly do you apprehend someone possessed by that kind of rage? I definitely don't like the use of pepper spray, but if there was no indication that he would have eventually calmed down, what would be the best way of stopping this person before he seriously harmed someone?

I don't think this article goes into as much detail as the one I saw from another source that described the extent of his tantrum. I've been around kids like this before and they are definitely scary and not fun to be around. I don't get why he's even in the public school system in the first place.

Saw an interview with the mom last night.

Total denial.

She's the problem.

Agreed - the parents' behavior and mannerisms will usually determine how their offspring acts around other people. I would be willing to bet that the education standards in this country are going down because of bad parenting more than anything else, although the normal school environment is not exactly conducive to learning, either. But parents should be instilling values in their children and teaching them to think for themselves.

prmd142
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Huh?

Ana-cap philosophy does not even allow for the concept of armed state enforcers, let alone their existence.

but it does allow private police. Nonetheless private security agencies are a must even in an anarchist society. I referenced that philosophy only to defend myself if anyone tried to attack me that I was being soft on state police in the above case. so I don't understand why you would highlight it and bring it up.

prmd142
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM

It seems anymore there are those that take the side of the state/authoritarians over liberty and common sense.

lol.... It also seems that there are those who take the side of dangerous and sick minds over respect for fellow human being's right to live their life peacefully and common sense.

teacherone
04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
lol.... It also seems that there are those who take the side of dangerous and sick minds over respect for fellow human being's right to live their life peacefully and common sense.

Not since Lord of the Flies has an eight year old with a sharp stick frightened so many pigs!

Anti Federalist
04-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Not since Lord of the Flies has an eight year old with a sharp stick frightened so many pigs!

Epic. Post. Zinger.

+rep

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM

LoL

pcosmar
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM

dangerous and sick minds ?
I saw video of a bright but undisciplined child. One that has likely been provoked to anger.
I am more inclined to question the fruitloops that call themselves teachers.

And police have NO business in education or in schools.The very concept of police has no place in free society.
http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm

Freedom 4 all
04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
My wife wouldn't even read them. I on the other hand am way more confrontational and made it my duty to set the stupid Aholes straight. It all started with lies told by the cops and the media trying to cover for them. BTW believe it or not Rhoads was cleared of all wrong doing and he's back on the job.

Sadly I DO believe it. It sickens and disgusts me, but no longer surprises me.

dntrpltt
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
After giving this some thought... they really needed to stop him if he was pointing a sharp weapon at his class and the police officers. Though pepper spray may not have been the best choice, at least they didn't beat him to the ground, tase him, or use deadly force to take his weapon (like what they'd do to an adult threatening them with a spear). While the police went a little too far by using the spray, it's certainly not the worst thing I've heard about police.

I heard from somewhere that they were about to tase him if the pepper spray was ineffective again.

Freedom 4 all
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM

I caught it too, BUT were he some new guy or this any other forum, I could have easily mistaken it for being serious. Life is confusing sometimes, there are lots of people who would say the exact same shit fisharmor said verbatim without irony or sarcasm. Kind of like a Poe's law for statists.

MelissaWV
04-07-2011, 05:37 PM
This eight-year-old was obviously pretty screwed up, but it wasn't long ago that people would let him "spin himself out" if they couldn't grab the stick from him, and then proceed with a nice blend of paddling, punishment, and some sort of way to place him on the straight and narrow. Everyone think back to how much trouble you would have been in if you did even ONE of the things this kid was doing: cursing in class, chasing people down with a sharp stick, throwing a television...

Yeah, me too; it would not have been a good thing.

He's going home to parents that will probably act indignant and sue the school or the cops or whatever else. Little Bobby is special and that's why he did it and how dare anyone deprive him of his "right" to schooling.

This would be best solved by there being no such "right." Schools should be able to kick you out of a class or the school entirely if you're disruptive enough, and then you become your parents' problem. You might have to go to a special school for kids with your particular issues. I'm sorry, but everyone else's learning (remember: hypothetical school, not public school, so kids would be learning) should not be put on hold while their peer threatens them and causes them to have to barricade inside an office.

The police had no place in the matter. Did anyone even try to get the kid to put down the stick? Probably a bag of candy would have enticed him to put it down and stop his tantrum long enough to disarm and subdue him. He's 8. Seriously. Candy.

Captain Shays
04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah, in case you couldn't tell, I was attempting satire.
I'm really sorry to hear about your step son, Captain.
My best man's boy is autistic. His mother was just telling me last weekend how there's a program in southern VA to train police that the person they're dealing with might have a mental block and not be physically able to comply.
As far as I can tell it was a private effort. I suppose it's something, but I think that it's monumentally fucked up that the parents of autistic children need to organize to prevent the cops potentially murdering their children.

That program was started because of what happened to my step son.

coastie
04-12-2011, 02:19 PM
This eight-year-old was obviously pretty screwed up, but it wasn't long ago that people would let him "spin himself out" if they couldn't grab the stick from him, and then proceed with a nice blend of paddling, punishment, and some sort of way to place him on the straight and narrow. Everyone think back to how much trouble you would have been in if you did even ONE of the things this kid was doing: cursing in class, chasing people down with a sharp stick, throwing a television...

Yeah, me too; it would not have been a good thing.

He's going home to parents that will probably act indignant and sue the school or the cops or whatever else. Little Bobby is special and that's why he did it and how dare anyone deprive him of his "right" to schooling.

This would be best solved by there being no such "right." Schools should be able to kick you out of a class or the school entirely if you're disruptive enough, and then you become your parents' problem. You might have to go to a special school for kids with your particular issues. I'm sorry, but everyone else's learning (remember: hypothetical school, not public school, so kids would be learning) should not be put on hold while their peer threatens them and causes them to have to barricade inside an office.

The police had no place in the matter. Did anyone even try to get the kid to put down the stick? Probably a bag of candy would have enticed him to put it down and stop his tantrum long enough to disarm and subdue him. He's 8. Seriously. Candy.

This^

On a "related" note-the neighbors kid got suspended for 3 days yesterday for doing a Michael Jackson-esque dance move the other day in between classes.:eek::mad:

Hell, when I was in 6th grade, I had a MJ-esque jacket that I wore everyday to school, along with the requisite dancing. The teachers thought it was cool.:p