PDA

View Full Version : The Rand Paul Love Affair Grows

AuH20
04-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Give him a year or two, and he'll own the entire party at the grassroots level. The legend is growing.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/04/rand_paul_tests_the_presidenti.html

Now let's get back to that fund-raising issue. The leading Republican fundraiser thus far in 2011 is Ron Paul. I have never been a fan of the Texas congressman. Despite his solid conservative record, particularly his stance on gun rights, abortion, the Fed, education and fiscal conservatism in general, he has been portrayed in the media as something of an odd-ball.

The elder Paul's successful fund raising is no accident, as he is a consistent winner of Republican party straw-polls including victories at the CPAC convention in 2010 and 2011. While Ron Paul will never be a palatable Republican presidential nominee, there is a way to tap into the near rabid support he generates among libertarians and fiscal conservatives.

His son, Rand Paul is, in my opinion, the logical choice for the 2012 Republican party presidential nomination. He is an absolute budget-cutting hawk, a forceful and uncompromising speaker, and on the Tea Party side of nearly every issue. He is avowedly anti-abortion, demonstrably in favor of major education reforms (including shuttering the Department of Education), and calls for additional security on our border with Mexico and elimination of birth-right citizenship. Rand Paul opposes all gun-control legislation and same-sex marriage. Furthermore, he is decidedly in favor of major reform to the out-of-control Federal Reserve and wants America to eliminate the issuance of visas to citizens of "about ten rogue nations." What's not to like?

It's refreshing to see Senator Paul taking time out from tying Harry Reid in knots with his forceful Senate floor speeches and strategic use of amendments to float his potential candidacy for the 2012 Presidential nomination. This is the one we have been waiting for to replace the one they were hoping for.

Romulus
04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Right now, he's bringing a LOT of people and good credibility into the fold..

Chester Copperpot
04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
IS it me or does it seem like everything is falling into place...

Bman
04-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Don't get too comfortable....

ever.

roho76
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I have never been a fan of the Texas congressman. Despite his solid conservative record, particularly his stance on gun rights, abortion, the Fed, education and fiscal conservatism in general, he has been portrayed in the media as something of an odd-ball.

This is disgusting. Ron Paul could be Jesus himself and these people would still ignore him because of some other dipshits opinion of him being a "odd-ball".

AuH20
04-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Imagine if Rand gets the keynote speech at the Republican Convention? Pinch me.

Jeremy
04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Imagine if Rand gets the keynote speech at the Republican Convention? Pinch me.

That wouldn't happen unless Ron is the winner. Rand is obviously going to support Ron.

sailingaway
04-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that paper would prefer Rand. Rand is great, but that paper likes him because they think he isn't really like us.

AuH20
04-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah, that paper would prefer Rand. Rand is great, but that paper likes him because they think he isn't really like us.

Ron was disparaged as a "liberal-tarian." Unfortunately, the slur has stuck & many folks aren't willing to revisit and recognize his impressive conservative credentials. Labels are very powerful weapons.

Sola_Fide
04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Ron was disparaged as a "liberal-tarian." Unfortunately, the slur has stuck & many folks aren't willing to revisit and recognize his impressive conservative credentials. Labels are very powerful weapons.

Our key to 2012 is reinforcing Ron's conservative credentials and contrasting him with the liberal Republicans he will run against.

Sola_Fide
04-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Give him a year or two, and he'll own the entire party at the grassroots level. The legend is growing.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/04/rand_paul_tests_the_presidenti.html

I think Rand has the amazing ability to unify the grassroots and the establishment like no one else, not even Ron.

Not only does Rand unify the grassroots and the establishment, he unifies libertarians, independents, pro-lifers, non-interventionists, fiscal hawks, Christians, atheists, civil liberty liberal Republicans, even war hawks to some extent (I know I'm missing a lot too).

There is no one in the Republican party that can unify such a broad segment of the potential Republican voter base right now like Rand Paul can.

Not only that, he is an extremely likeable person. He is a physician. He does not come across as someone who absolutely needs to have a job in government. He comes across as the statesman-servant.

I think the debt-calamity that will befall America soon also plays right into a Rand Paul presidency, as long as he continues to sound the alarm of fiscal sanity. I forsee good things ahead for Rand. More people will come along.

Matt Collins
04-06-2011, 10:53 PM
It's amazing. In the OP Rand's name could be swapped for Ron's name and it would be the same person still they are describing. There isn't a significant difference in the policies of Rand and Ron but yet the "prominent" conservatives can't stand Ron but love Rand.

Live_Free_Or_Die
04-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Do not mistake the lack of heavy criticism on a couple controversial positions or statements in the KY campaign as support. Those kind of miracles don't happen twice.

SimpleName
04-07-2011, 12:37 PM
My love affair is growing too. You can't shake this guy. He has the hawk-like brute mentality that Ron has always lacked and I think it will really help gather the establishment repubs who want a strong-headed candidate. Funny since I was initially rather skeptical about Rand's Senate run.

The Dark Knight
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Rand Paul will someday be the President of the United States.

AuH20
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Rand Paul will someday be the President of the United States.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Max_King/whos-afraid-of-rand-paul_b_581296_47693566.html

“This Rand Paul thing reminds me of when Ronald Reagan was running for governor of California*, and bumper stickers and buttons appeared with the copy "Ronald Reagan is Ayn Rand in Drag!" This was quickly countered with bumper stickers and buttons reading "Ronald Reagan is NOT Ayn Rand in Drag!"
History will determine which camp got it right, I suppose. Happily, Mr. Reagan was skewered at the time, regardless of History's eventual estimation*. An early instance of a No Win/No Win situation.”

Brian4Liberty
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
The establishment is getting nervous. Don't doubt for a second that all of the attacks on the "Tea Party" are directed at Rand. Obama even made a point to come out with some story from Kentucky about a poor person who will not survive a government shutdown.

Brian4Liberty
04-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Link on the Kentucky attack:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Celtic_Hawk/government-shutdown-obama-no-budget-deal_n_845928_83541998.html

AuH20
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/153673-rand-paul-as-president

Overnight; when real, organic change comes, it cannot be held back. There has been that same feeling in the Tea Party: rustic, folksy, from the people. If this continues, and I believe it will, I'd say it is entirely possible now to see Rand Paul emerge as the significant figure in this movement, particularly in contrast with the old-school establishment Republicans. And the competence of the old-schoolers doesn’t help. It even makes the old seem more crusty and entrenched. Mitt Romney, whom I admire in many ways, well establishes the contrast of the establishment with Rand Paul and the Tea Party renegades. He is good, very good, but so was Duke Ellington when the Beatles arrived. The season had passed.

In this rich and volatile environment we are seeing the moment of awakening. It is now entirely possible to see Rand Paul as president, with three necessary conditions: 1) Rick Perry stays out. 2) Polls show he can carry Iowa and South Carolina in the primaries. 3) Sarah Palin stays out and endorses him.

And what a contest the Obama v. Rand Paul debate would be.

Sola_Fide
04-07-2011, 01:27 PM
An Obama vs. Rand debate would be legendary.

Jus sayin...

mport1
04-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I think Rand has the amazing ability to unify the grassroots and the establishment like no one else, not even Ron.

Not only does Rand unify the grassroots and the establishment, he unifies libertarians, independents, pro-lifers, non-interventionists, fiscal hawks, Christians, atheists, civil liberty liberal Republicans, even war hawks to some extent (I know I'm missing a lot too).

Probably even a few anarchists like myself :) I'm really coming around to him. I don't think he is quite as principled as Ron but I would likely support him unless he starts doing some unlibertarian things.

JohnEngland
04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I kinda just wish Rand had a few more years in the Senate under his belt. Not that I wouldn't love a President Rand Paul right now, but he's easier to attack and label as a newbie right now. They will endlessly attack with "lack of experience" nonsense - even though junior senator Barack Obama would also have qualified as having the same "lack of experience".

JohnEngland
04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
It's amazing. In the OP Rand's name could be swapped for Ron's name and it would be the same person still they are describing. There isn't a significant difference in the policies of Rand and Ron but yet the "prominent" conservatives can't stand Ron but love Rand.

Just goes to show the importance of how one articulates their message. Body language, vocabulary, tone etc. These things matter.

Actually, McCain/Obama 2008 is a great example of this.

Matt Collins
04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Probably even a few anarchists like myself :) I'm really coming around to him. I don't think he is quite as principled as Ron but I would likely support him unless he starts doing some unlibertarian things.
Of course he is as principled as Ron. He is a bit more diplomatic about it though.

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Rand Paul opposes same-sex marriage.Umm........huh? I thought Rand's position was the same as Ron's - that its not a Federal matter and that marriage should NOT be a State function anyway as its a private matter.

outspoken
04-08-2011, 04:32 PM
This is disgusting. Ron Paul could be Jesus himself and these people would still ignore him because of some other dipshits opinion of him being a "odd-ball".

If Jesus were present today, I have little doubt that his fate would be no different than it was 2000 years ago. The sinful nature of man would using our advancements in technology put a bullet in Him to silence him rather than the outdated process of crucifixion. People have not yet suffered enough.... unfortunately, this too will come to pass. The current system is in the final stages of breaking down.

Sola_Fide
04-08-2011, 04:38 PM
The establishment is getting nervous. Don't doubt for a second that all of the attacks on the "Tea Party" are directed at Rand.Obama even made a point to come out with some story from Kentucky about a poor person who will not survive a government shutdown.

Exactly. Very perceptive of you. That was a direct shot at Rand and the Tea Parties here in KY and elsewhere.

They always attack what they see as the biggest threat.

georgiaboy
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Rand's presence gives those in the establishment -- who knew deep down that Ron was right but chose to vilify him as "crazy" -- the ability to save face and get on the right track without having to seemingly contradict themselves on their views of Ron and his policies, their voting opposite Ron for decades, etc. Revenge is being served cold.

I've got a little 'hot' revenge in me, so I'm glad cooler heads are prevailing, and as long as the country gets back on track, I'm good.

georgiaboy
04-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Exactly. Very perceptive of you. That was a direct shot at Rand and the Tea Parties here in KY and elsewhere.

They always attack what they see as the biggest threat.

They'd best be careful with shots fired into Kentucky. The long rifle so named carries its history with pride and for good reason. Metaphorically.

Joseph
04-13-2011, 08:13 AM
I really hate to say this, and I mean I REALLY hate to say this, but I kinda hope Rand Paul runs instead of Ron. I have been a intense Ron Paul activist since early 2007 and would love to see him as President of the United States, but after seeing all the support Rand has been able to garner since 2010 I truly believe if he ran he would win. Rand would have all the true, die hard, Ron Paul supporters, all the Tea Party support, not to mention the fact that Rand Paul lacks all the establishment hate that Ron Paul has. If Rand Paul ran for President of the United States in 2012, he would win, I truly believe that.

Valli6
04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Rand's presence gives those in the establishment -- who knew deep down that Ron was right but chose to vilify him as "crazy" -- the ability to save face and get on the right track without having to seemingly contradict themselves on their views of Ron and his policies, their voting opposite Ron for decades, etc. Revenge is being served cold.
This sounds about right.

For the longest time, sheer "peer pressure" has kept them anti-Ron Paul. ("Ron Paul = icky") Rand offers them a fresh perspective on Ron's stances. ("Rand Paul = new cool kid") Popularity allows Rand to herd all the sheep together to reassess the facts. When Ron actually starts campaigning, Rand's speeches supporting him will lead them all back to Ron Paul!

AuH20
04-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I really hate to say this, and I mean I REALLY hate to say this, but I kinda hope Rand Paul runs instead of Ron. I have been a intense Ron Paul activist since early 2007 and would love to see him as President of the United States, but after seeing all the support Rand has been able to garner since 2010 I truly believe if he ran he would win. Rand would have all the true, die hard, Ron Paul supporters, all the Tea Party support, not to mention the fact that Rand Paul lacks all the establishment hate that Ron Paul has. If Rand Paul ran for President of the United States in 2012, he would win, I truly believe that.

It would be like Return of the King, when the exiled heir Aragorn returns to Gondor to unite the fractured factions of the west. No potential candidate possesses the ability to unite so many unique factions together since Ronald Maximus. If a nonfactor like Trump can vault to the top of the field in a couple weeks, Rand could easily steal hearts and minds after a debate or two, experience be damned.

WilliamC
04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Maybe Ron and Rand will end up flipping a coin to see who runs this year.

Joke.

BUT, I still think it is too early for Rand Paul to be taken seriously by the 'mainstream' voter, despite the fact that our current POTUS had as little experience. Remember, Obama had the mainstream media 100% behind him from day one and he had the added advantage of being the first viable African-(maybe)-American candidate to be competing in the democratic primary. Rand won't have either of those two advantages.

If he is willing I think Ron should run again this time. I doubt he will be denied media coverage as he was last time, he should be treated more seriously since he predicted the current economic problems, and it would allow for the libertarian/tea-party movement to grow even larger, which it needs to do. Rand would of course be involved in the campaign but not at the expense of neglecting his role as a rising Senate star. He can continue to introduce legislation and build coalitions for the future. As bad as things are I think America is too big to crash soon, it will be a long gradual decline instead, so there is time let Rand get more experience.

If we get lucky and Ron wins the Republican primary then great, if not the cause is strengthened and Rand does not have a failed campaign hanging over his head. And depending on who the eventual Republican nominee is we can still push for getting Ron as Sec Treas.

Maybe I'm too cautious but I think Rand running now is to risky.

sailingaway
04-13-2011, 10:31 AM
My problem is I think he shouldn't have said anything until the two had discussed it. I think Rand doesn't get all of Ron's support, but gets some support independent of Ron (whether as first choice in a presidential matchup or generally as a conservative, I don't know.) I think NOW however, people who were starting to gear up are losing enthusiasm because they don't know who is running.

AuH20
04-13-2011, 10:37 AM
My problem is I think he shouldn't have said anything until the two had discussed it. I think Rand doesn't get all of Ron's support, but gets some support independent of Ron (whether as first choice in a presidential matchup or generally as a conservative, I don't know.) I think NOW however, people who were starting to gear up are losing enthusiasm because they don't know who is running.

They better decide before an undesirable jumps out to a commanding lead in the GOP primary. This an opportunity for the ages. GOP field is the weakest I can ever remember. Meanwhile, there is an ongoing schism between voters who vote republican and it's party apparatus. On the other side, Obama is teetering slightly above 40% nationally only because of unwavering minority support. He's being battered by inflation and massive unemployment, while leaving behind a trail of broken promises. At this point, his billion dollar warchest is overstated with such high negatives.

AuH20
04-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Also, another thing if Rand runs. Ole Rand has a secret weapon in the South Carolina primary. His name is Jim DeMint.

sailingaway
04-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Also, another thing if Rand runs. Ole Rand has a secret weapon in the South Carolina primary. His name is Jim DeMint.

My understanding from an article is that he was waiting for EITHER Ron or Rand to jump in. This is the kind of statement that imo churns up the exact sort of feeling of uncertainty I was talking about, that turns people off getting involved at all.

AuH20
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
My understanding from an article is that he was waiting for EITHER Ron or Rand to jump in. This is the kind of statement that churns up the exact sort of feeling of uncertainty that turns people off getting involved at all, that I was discussing.

I agree. The situation is crystallizing so fast that certain pieces need to be set in place.

georgiaboy
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I can hear it now: "Ron Paul, father of Tea Party Champion Senator Rand Paul"

AuH20
04-13-2011, 05:35 PM
When you read this, you want to tear out your hair. Opportunity is staring us right in the face.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53067_Page3.html

Two other delegates at the Spartanburg convention were bemoaning their options immediately after hearing from Barbour, Santorum and Newt Gingrich.

“None of them excited me – there’s nothing in any of them I can grab onto about leading,” complained Alice Lang. “We are the leader of the free world and I need someone who’s going to say this is what we’re going to do and lead.”

William Lindsey chimed in to declare: “I don’t think the presidential candidate for the Republican Party has stepped forward yet.”

“Right, this is just the preview,” added Lang. “We need someone who is charismatic and conservative at the same time.”

Tinnuhana
04-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Question: In a general election between Rand and Obama, would some (most likely independents) say, "Oh no, another freshman senator? We don't know about four more years of 'noob'" ???

AuH20
04-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Question: In a general election between Rand and Obama, would some (most likely independents) say, "Oh no, another freshman senator? We don't know about four more years of 'noob'" ???

No. As long as the candidate is likeable and sounds intelligent, they'll vote for him. This whole experience claptrap is nonsense. McCain was a government fossil with the total experience of 3 senators, yet clearly had no business being on that podium.

matt0611
04-13-2011, 07:20 PM

I hate to say this...but I agree with you 100%.
I'll vote for Ron and put 150% of my effort into supporting him. But I think Rand has a much better shot.

AuH20
04-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Great comments!:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rand-paul-defends-tea-party-on-sen-floor-i-dare-you-to-come-to-a-rally/

best speech I’ve heard from a politician since Reagan. Why aren’t there more like him? Why do idiot Republicans, like Lindsay Graham, still march to the same old tired beat? Voters need to become more informed, and fast.

Holy freakin’ crap…did i just hear someone in washington speak to the people like an adult? Did i just hear them speak truth? No spin? No BS with a sprinkling of truth? Good on ya Mr. Paul…you and your father are a bright light in our corrupt system. Yet even with your passion it saddens me to know that at this point our system will collapse regardless. We’re not to far down the road…we’re of the road, throught the woods, into the ocean headed for the bottom.

I am in full support of Rand Paul and anyone that resembles his political views. He is a modern day constitutional patriot and would be at home in 1776 Philadelphia. The socialist/democraps always attack and slur what they are afraid of and who they worry about. That is why the attempt to mock and slander the Tea party. It scares them to their core and when communists are scared,…they lie, slander, and scream.